Common Controversy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Trackz
not sure if anyone has seen this but Fox News incited a controversy centering on Michelle Obama inviting Common to recite spoken word at the white house.

Fox looked past most of his career to find this spoken word:
LssFolrpiD4

which they say promotes cop killing

John Stewart naturally slammed them for this, and O'Reilly responded.

Thought and opinions on this?

King Kandy
I didn't think there was anything particularly offensive about that video...

Trackz
scroll to the bottom for O'Reillys argument:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bthesite/the-ridiculous-report-blog/bal-who-will-win-oreilly-vs-stewart-debate-over-common-20110515,0,5890068.story?track=rss

Bicnarok
Wow pretty impressive rhyming skills there, had to watch it a couple of times to understand what he was saying mind.

I must have missed something though, what did he say about Michelle Obama?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Wow pretty impressive rhyming skills there, had to watch it a couple of times to understand what he was saying mind.

I must have missed something though, what did he say about Michelle Obama?

I believe the OP states that Michelle Obama invited the poet to the White House to perform, and that Fox News took issue with that, because of the posted poem, which they claim suggests one should partake in violence against police officers.

Trackz
my bad, basically he was invited by michelle obama to speak at a white house poetry night.

fox latched onto this saying he's vile, misogynistic, supports gang violence, and copkilling.

the spoken word in the first post was used by some people to prove he supports gang violence.

others said he supported cop killing because of his song "Letter to Assata" a member of the black liberation army (aunt to rapper Tupac Shakur) and who was convicted of shooting and killing a police man. At the trial however it was found that the police man who entered shot her lied in his testimony (that said Assata has pulled out a gun and shot at him) and rather he had shot her after her hands were raised. Despite this she was still found guilty on all charges. She broke out of prison and is currently in Cuba under political Asylum.

Tonight John Stewart and Bill O'Reilly are going to debate the issue.

Robtard
Originally posted by Trackz
Tonight John Stewart and Bill O'Reilly are going to debate the issue.

Should be good, despite his nonsense show, the guy's smart and knows when to put the jokes aside.

Is Fox News that desperate they're nit-picking poetry night? Damn.

BackFire
Probably the most blatantly phony controversy I've seen created by the media in a long, long time.

dadudemon
The guy is talking about racist cops and a racist judicial system (facts) keeping the black man down and using metaphors that mean to stand tall and be proud, regardless of your oppressions. He even talks about helping the kids obtain their dreams in-spite of the system.

Sure, he could tone it down a bit but then it loses it's flavor and impact. He'd come off being a MLK parrot.

Originally posted by King Kandy
I didn't think there was anything particularly offensive about that video...

Other than his grammar and pronunciation of English words...

I want to see the debate, for sure. Anyone know where I might obtain a video of the Bill and John debate?

Trackz
Originally posted by dadudemon
The guy is talking about racist cops and a racist judicial system (facts) keeping the black man down and using metaphors that mean to stand tall and be proud, regardless of your oppressions. He even talks about helping the kids obtain their dreams in-spite of the system.

Sure, he could tone it down a bit but then it loses it's flavor and impact. He'd come off being a MLK parrot.

Other than his grammar and pronunciation of English words...

I want to see the debate, for sure. Anyone know where I might obtain a video of the Bill and John debate? well lets not act like rappers were the first ones to change words around for the sake of metrical clarity.

but here's the first part:
Im8WhG-8FGw

dadudemon
well lets not act like rappers were the first ones to change words around for the sake of metrical clarity.

Let's also not act like my point was a simple a commentary about the rearranging of sentence structure in poetry. In fact, that's exactly not what I was meaning when I said "grammar."

but here's the first part:
Im8WhG-8FGw

That was awesome. Owned.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.