ROTJ Sidious vs. ROTS Mace Windu

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

oaa
Setting: Dantooine Plains, no obstructions.

All out, can Mace overcome Sidious' force powers this time or is Sidious too much at this point?

axel_jovan
Windu wins

The more powerful darksider, the bigger boost Windu gets.

Plus, I'd imagine that RotJ Sidious's rusty skill with lightsaber gives Windu an edge in sabers.

Slash_KMC
RotS Sidious his skill with a lightsaber was also quite rusty...

ares834
Originally posted by axel_jovan
Windu wins

The more powerful darksider, the bigger boost Windu gets.

Plus, I'd imagine that RotJ Sidious's rusty skill with lightsaber gives Windu an edge in sabers.

Windu's Vaapad was pushed to the limit by RotS Sidious.

Galan007
^ That's kind of what I was thinking. Mace may have overpowered RotS Palpatine, but he was hard-pressed to do so.

And while the lightsaber skills of RotJ Palpatine may have lessened over the years (not entirely sure if they did, tbh), his power with the dark side almost certainly grew stronger. Thus, it is entirely plausible that he could overwhelm Mace/Vaapad.

axel_jovan
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
RotS Sidious his skill with a lightsaber was also quite rusty...

Yeah, but RotJ Sidious's skill with a lightsaber is ... rustier? smile

Yeah, Mace was pushed to his limit, but eventually he came on top.
RotJ Sidiosu may overload Vapaad, or may not... Thoughts?

Still, I'd imagine Mace has a good chance of winning, especially if he will close the distance quickly enough to take this fight to sabers.

Q99
Originally posted by Galan007

And while the lightsaber skills of RotJ Palpatine may have lessened over the years (not entirely sure if they did, tbh), his power with the dark side almost certainly grew stronger. Thus, it is entirely plausible that he could overwhelm Mace/Vaapad.

We never saw him draw a saber, did we? He entirely used lightning. So hard to say.

--
If we dip into EU stuff, Dark Empire Palpatine struck me as weaker with a saber/stronger in the force.

Galan007
Originally posted by Q99
If we dip into EU stuff, Dark Empire Palpatine struck me as weaker with a saber I disagree here.

ares834
Originally posted by Q99
If we dip into EU stuff, Dark Empire Palpatine struck me as weaker with a saber

erm

Nephthys
Really? All the guy did was defeat Luke. Don't see why thats dismissed out of hand so readily.

RagingBoner
Actually, I'm not sure we have any reason to believe his skill with the lightsaber improved at all after his duel with Yoda.

ares834
Originally posted by Nephthys
Really? All the guy did was defeat Luke. Don't see why thats dismissed out of hand so readily.

It's been a while but I recall reading that they fought at insane speeds. Leia, IIRC, claimed they were no more than blurs.

RagingBoner
Originally posted by ares834
It's been a while but I recall reading that they fought at insane speeds. Leia, IIRC, claimed they were no more than blurs.

Palpatine was capable of moving at extraordinary speeds pre-TPM (Episode I Journals: Darth Maul) and in ROTS. Any increased physical speed is due to his superior Force powers, not skill in lightsaber combat.

Galan007
Originally posted by RagingBoner
Actually, I'm not sure we have any reason to believe his skill with the lightsaber improved at all after his duel with Yoda. You'd *think* the younger clone body he was wearing would allow Palps to preform better overall - from a technical, and physical standpoint...

Nephthys
Actually, I'm not sure we have any reason to believe his skill with the lightsaber improved at all after his duel with Yoda.

If I recall in one of the novels he even mocks the use of a lightsaber, saying that he's above such crude weapons.

In the audio version maybe? Dunno, I've heard that before, but can't recall where.

RagingBoner
You'd *think* the younger clone body he was wearing would allow Palps to preform better overall...

Perhaps, but I'd wager the effect would be negligible. I'm not sure the condition of his body has ever been a true impediment to his combat performance; Palpatine is one of several aging Force-users who have been able to face off against much younger, fitter, stronger duelists without consequence.

In any case, I interpreted the phrase "weaker with the lightsaber" to refer to skill, not physical attributes.

The Rise of Darth Vader.

thumb up

ares834
Palpatine was capable of moving at extraordinary speeds pre-TPM (Episode I Journals: Darth Maul) and in ROTS. Any increased physical speed is due to his superior Force powers, not skill in lightsaber combat.
Sure. But an increase in speed, even if it is due to force powers, would make him superior with the saber.

Galan007
Perhaps, but I'd wager the effect would be negligible. I'm not sure the condition of his body has ever been a true impediment to his combat performance; Palpatine is one of several aging Force-users who have been able to face off against much younger, fitter, stronger duelists without consequence. Right. I'm just saying that if you pack the same amount of knowledge and skill into a younger, more physically capable body, his overall performance *should* increase. You'd think.

Fortitude
Rotj Sidious might not even have a lightsaber, and of he does, his skills with it will have degraded. Mace Windu probably takes this.

Nephthys
He had a lightsaber on him in TFU. It would be pretty silly not to have one on you at least, just in case.

Q99
Originally posted by Fortitude
Rotj Sidious might not even have a lightsaber, and of he does, his skills with it will have degraded. Mace Windu probably takes this.

'Will have'? Unlike during the PT he can spar with dark acolytes and Vader openly, doesn't have to disguise his activities, etc. etc..

I could see his physical ability declining some, but I'd think he would stay in practice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.