TPM Sidious vs. ROTS Mace (Sabers Only)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

oaa
Setting: Dantooine Plains, no obstructions.

This is either TPM Sidious or directly after Maul's training was completed. Is Sidious good enough with a saber here to defeat Mace?

axel_jovan
Hmm, Sidious as of TPM is a kind of unknown, but if I were to venture a guess, I'd say Windu wins this.

Darth C'baoth
Darth sidious was probably in form at this point with his lightsaber combat. In ROTS he had been out of practice for a about 13 years and in tpm he was still training Darth Maul. I think that as long as his connection to the force is as strong as in ROTS then he takes this fight

RagingBoner
Palpatine's lightsaber technique was almost certainly better than when he was Chancellor.

Q99
Yea, we really have no idea the difference between Sidious over that time, he might've been at a plateau throughout the Prequel trilogy.

Galan007
Mace.

RagingBoner
Q99
Yea, we really have no idea the difference between Sidious over that time, he might've been at a plateau throughout the Prequel trilogy.

?
Palpatine was a little busy running every major political and military operation in the galaxy for approximately 13 years or so to maintain his swordsmanship, especially when it is confirmed that he didn't have to waste time training Dooku in such technique (Labyrinth of Evil) and his primary lightsaber had been hidden in a statue for decades.

I'd say it stands to reason that he was "rusty" at best by the time he fought Windu.

Lord Lucien
How "developed" were his powers outside of blade-work circa TPM?

Darth C'baoth
i would say about the same because he could freely move off corasant to practice his powers and not have to dim his powers and he was closer to his physical prime at this time and the damage to hs body by the dark side was probable less

RagingBoner
Lucien
How "developed" were his powers outside of blade-work circa TPM?

My preliminary estimation is that they were approximately the same. Palpatine clearly had sufficient time to execute aspects of his Sith agenda (such as conducting rituals to increase Jedi anxiety), but I doubt he indulged in any major Force training during his administration as Chancellor.

Q99
Originally posted by RagingBoner
?
Palpatine was a little busy running every major political and military operation in the galaxy for approximately 13 years or so to maintain his swordsmanship, especially when it is confirmed that he didn't have to waste time training Dooku in such technique (Labyrinth of Evil) and his primary lightsaber had been hidden in a statue for decades.

I'd say it stands to reason that he was "rusty" at best by the time he fought Windu.

He was training in hiding pretty much his entire life, though. He'd still be able to run through drills with a practice sword at home if he wanted to.

I don't think he'd have enough time to push his abilities forward much, but I think he could keep them from declining.

Jinsoku Takai
Originally posted by Q99
He was training in hiding pretty much his entire life, though. He'd still be able to run through drills with a practice sword at home if he wanted to.

I don't think he'd have enough time to push his abilities forward much, but I think he could keep them from declining.

Agreed. I see no reason why he couldn't continue to practice his technique. I don't think he was as strapped for time as many think (running the galaxy or not). He apparently had enough time to attend the weird space bubble operas. I'm of the opinion that he found time to continue to refine or at least maintain his current level of skill w/ a lightsaber. Moreover, as far as being detected by the Jedi, it's seems that Palpatine had one hell of an ability to mask his Force footprint and related actions.

RagingBoner
JT
Agreed. I see no reason why he couldn't continue to practice his technique. I don't think he was as strapped for time as many think (running the galaxy or not). He apparently had enough time to attend the weird space bubble operas. I'm of the opinion that he found time to continue to refine or at least maintain his current level of skill w/ a lightsaber. Moreover, as far as being detected by the Jedi, it's seems that Palpatine had one hell of an ability to mask his Force footprint and related actions.

Even if we ignore the fact that Palpatine was literally micromanaging both the Republic and rising Separatist Alliance, (a.) his chosen weapon was concealed in the statue of Sistros for decades (ROTS novelization) and (b.) he didn't bother training or dealing with Tyranus in the realm of lightsaber combat because the Count was already a highly accomplished duelist (Labyrinth of Evil). Not to mention, of course, (c.) that Palpatine regards lightsaber combat ultimately as something to spite the Jedi (Rise of Darth Vader).

There's far more indicating he neither had the time nor inclination to do so than there is otherwise.

Galan007
Originally posted by RagingBoner
(a.) his chosen weapon was concealed in the statue of Sistros for decades (ROTS novelization) He had more than one lightsaber, no?

Jedi Mom
sidious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.