Most buffed up actor to play a superhero

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FrothByte
We know that most of the actors playing superheroes in movie try to get bulked up for their roles. So who among them got bulked up the most?

Nicholas Cage as Ghost Rider?
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine?
Chris Hemsworth as Thor?
Chris Evans as human torch/captain america?
Wesley Snipes as Blade?

Feel free to interject other super hero movie characters here. Heroes only please.

Riot-Gear
I'm thinking Tobey Maguire. Not only did he bulk up an impressive amount for the first movie, but then he dropped it all and then some to be in "Seabiscuit". Though Christian Bale going from "Equilibrium" to the "Machinist", to "Batman Begins" was also impressive.

Not a super hero or an actor, but Linda Hamilton's transformation between "Terminator" and T2 rates up their as well.

Darth Martin
Christian Bale in Batman Begins.

Riot-Gear
To finish my thought on Tobey Maguire, much like Bale going from the "Machinist" to "Batman Begins", Maguires transformation between "Seabiscuit" and "Spiderman 2" was impressive. More impressive perhaps then just his bulking up for "Spiderman" 1.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Riot-Gear
Not a super hero or an actor, but Linda Hamilton's transformation between "Terminator" and T2 rates up their as well.

No contest. Only reason she doesn't win it is because she didn't play a superhero, but she was so ****ing badass and intense she makes Punisher look like a sissy.

siriuswriter
Bale's "Machinist" to "Batman Begins." I can't even look at him at times in "The Machinist," he looks like some alien life form, not even a human being.

Hugh Jackman should get some credit, though. He is that ripped in everyday life, although he did get even bigger for Wolverine. But it just wasn't as much loss and then gain of poundage, as Bale did.

jaden101
Originally posted by Riot-Gear
To finish my thought on Tobey Maguire, much like Bale going from the "Machinist" to "Batman Begins",

I'd agree...It was a huge transformation between those films and it was only a relatively short period of time between the filming of them...What's even more impressive is that Bale bulked up even more and had to lose a fair bit of excess before BB could begin filming.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8JJe7S6qQ6c/Rz3rI2_yQjI/AAAAAAAAAgw/On-fUBsVIH4/s400/stickman.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f160/ytebale/raras/bale_begins_batman.jpg

Another honourable mention although not playing a superhero is Vincent Reagan in 300....He was apparently one of the most dedicated people the trainers from Gym Jones had ever seen. Transformation below only took 8 weeks.

http://www.free-workout-plans-for-busy-people.com/images/300-transformation.jpg

marwash22
Vinnie Jones in X-Men: The Last Stand. shifty

marwash22
Ben Foster did actually bulk up for X3.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Christian Bale in Batman Begins.

yeah i was going to sat Christian Bale should be listed in there.Tobey Mcguire? come on,he was in shape no doubt but he was hardly buff like those others.so far I would have to say its a tie between Hemsworth and Bale.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Mr Parker
so far I would have to say its a tie between Hemsworth and Bale.

thumb up

Impediment
Chris Evans looks pretty buff as Cap.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Impediment
Chris Evans looks pretty buff as Cap.

yeah he does..

what about tom hardy...

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab335/KATSUMOTO121/bane.jpg

Kazenji
Nicholas Cage as Ghost Rider? laughing

don't really need to bulk up for that character.

Johnny Demonic
Billy Zane beefed up to play The Phantom.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kazenji
Nicholas Cage as Ghost Rider? laughing

don't really need to bulk up for that character.

Exactly. thumb up

I have come to think that I'm the only one that watches "making of" and featurettes. hmm

There's also the fact that he did NOT buff up, at all, for that character.

They did a CGI trick to swap his head onto another body. It's in the making of. facepalm

Kazenji
Originally posted by dadudemon

I have come to think that I'm the only one that watches "making of" and featurettes. hmm

I'm another one that watches 'Making Of' featurettes for movies too

cept i have'nt watched the one for Ghost Rider movie since i don't own it.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kazenji
I'm another one that watches 'Making Of' featurettes for movies too

cept i have'nt watched the one for Ghost Rider movie since i don't own it.

Yeah, there's a short list of people that watch those bonus features. Most of the time, most people only watch the bonus features for movies they like rather than most to all they watch. I watch them out of respect for the "art" I just viewed.

FrothByte
Most of us watch the movies in the theatre.

Maybe I need to correct my original post. It's not about who was able to make the biggest change to his body... I was pretty much more concerned on asking who was in the best shape physically when they played the super hero.

dadudemon
Originally posted by FrothByte
Most of us watch the movies in the theatre.

Maybe I need to correct my original post. It's not about who was able to make the biggest change to his body... I was pretty much more concerned on asking who was in the best shape physically when they played the super hero.

Your title an OP says "most buffed up" meaning, which one got into the best shape and added the most muscle.

Being "buff" is both muscle and lack of body fat. If you just want "muscle", then that's "beefy" or a "hoss."

Ripped is really lean.

Shredded is an extreme state of being lean or "ripped."

And a monster/muscle freak is being huge and shredded (or ripped).

Case-in-point:
Jason Statham = Buff
Dwayne Johnson in Fast 5 is a monster as he's huge and ripped.

I'm not even kidding when I say these are common terms used in the body building community.

Bardock42
Your title an OP says "most buffed up" meaning, which one got into the best shape and added the most muscle.

Being "buff" is both muscle and lack of body fat. If you just want "muscle", then that's "beefy" or a "hoss."

Ripped is really lean.

Case-in-point:
Jason Statham = Buff

I'm not even kidding when I say these are common terms used in the body building community.

I am glad someone finally defined these words for me.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
I am glad someone finally defined these words for me.

Are you kidding or are you serious?

Bardock42
Are you kidding or are you serious?
Kidding.

NemeBro
Christian Bale went from 120 pounds to being too buff for Batman, so he had to lose some of his muscle.

He became too buff for Batman.

no expression

FrothByte

Ripped is really lean.

Case-in-point:
Jason Statham = Buff

Yes, so we're actually agreed that BUFF means the best combination of musculature and "rippedness" possible. The most balanced. Or for lack of a better term, simply the one in best shape.

Meaning Tobey Macguire doesn't fit in coz he was a bit too lean for spiderman.

And as much as I'd love to have Bale's figure when he played Batman... he didn't seem quite as ripped as some of the others (like Hemsworth and Jackman).

Actually one person I forgot to mention here which could probably win the contest is Ryan Reynolds when he played Hannibal King in Blade 3. Though not really that much of a super hero, he was absolutely buffed in there.

But... that's just me. Let me know your thoughts.

FrothByte
Originally posted by NemeBro
Christian Bale went from 120 pounds to being too buff for Batman, so he had to lose some of his muscle.

no expression

I'm not absolutely sure about this, but didn't Chris Hemsworth and Brandon Routh have similar problems? I believe they also got a little too big for their respective roles and were told to trim down.

Robtard

no expression

Not sure how bulked up he got before he had to lose some, but Batman looking like a professional bodybuilder wouldn't make sense.

Nephthys
http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-crossarms.gif

http://animatedviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/batw21.jpg

Ahem.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Robtard
Not sure how bulked up he got before he had to lose some, but Batman looking like a professional bodybuilder wouldn't make sense. So I guess you have never read a comic book?

Robtard
Originally posted by Nephthys
http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-crossarms.gif

http://animatedviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/batw21.jpg

Ahem.

So I guess you have never read a comic book?

Listen you two gays, I'm talking about a large professional bodybuilder build; not just a large well muscled man. What Batman looks like in that cartoon pic.

Like Lou Ferrigno when he was largest at his peak, ie a wall of muscle. That wouldn't make sense for Batman, especially a live action portrayal like they Nolan films.

NemeBro
http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss349/legere_2009/PG941492008071417264578531.jpg

Dananananananana Batman!

FrothByte
That is just so..... gay.....

Is that batman or batstripper?

Robtard
That is just so..... gay.....

Is that batman or batstripper?

Being fit = gay?

Nephthys
Actually I'd say the shaved legs are the thing most 'gay'about that picture.

Robtard
Originally posted by Nephthys
Actually I'd say the shaved legs are the thing most 'gay'about that picture.

So Lance Armstrong is gay because he shaves his legs?

marwash22
this already suspect thread has taken a decidedly homosexual turn.

Robtard
Originally posted by marwash22
this already suspect thread has taken a decidedly homosexual turn.

And just like you to show up at the very moment. ***.

marwash22
And just like you to show up at the very moment. ***. u mad i'm only showing up now? sorry, babe.

Nephthys
So Lance Armstrong is gay because he shaves his legs?

Maybe.

Also his bulging genitals are somewhat suspect.

dadudemon
Yes, so we're actually agreed that BUFF means the best combination of musculature and "rippedness" possible. The most balanced. Or for lack of a better term, simply the one in best shape.

Meaning Tobey Macguire doesn't fit in coz he was a bit too lean for spiderman.

And as much as I'd love to have Bale's figure when he played Batman... he didn't seem quite as ripped as some of the others (like Hemsworth and Jackman).

Actually one person I forgot to mention here which could probably win the contest is Ryan Reynolds when he played Hannibal King in Blade 3. Though not really that much of a super hero, he was absolutely buffed in there.

But... that's just me. Let me know your thoughts.

Ryan Reynolds is always in good shape so he never buffed up for his role.

Hemsworth did gain some weight, but it doesn't come close to Christian Bale's feat.

Johnny Demonic
I agree that Bale went to the extreme with what he did.

As for the worst, Adrian Brody in Predators. I could buy Dutch putting up somewhat of a fight with a Predator but not fail looking Brody.

FrothByte

Hemsworth did gain some weight, but it doesn't come close to Christian Bale's feat.

Yes but that's what I'm trying to clear up in the OP thread. I'm not looking for who made the biggest EFFORT to buff up. I'm just looking for the most buffed superhero actor. The one who was in best shape during the time of his playing a super hero.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Johnny Demonic

As for the worst, Adrian Brody in Predators. I could buy Dutch putting up somewhat of a fight with a Predator but not fail looking Brody.

I guess its only you then

because Brody worked for me for that movie.

dadudemon
Yes but that's what I'm trying to clear up in the OP thread. I'm not looking for who made the biggest EFFORT to buff up. I'm just looking for the most buffed superhero actor. The one who was in best shape during the time of his playing a super hero.
Okay, so you're not looking for the biggest change, you're looking for, simply, the biggest and best shape?

That could be Jeep Swenson or Dalip Singh.

This gets too much into the lable. If you want a height/weight cutoff point, you should make one as we can just select one of those two guys and be "right."

If you want a bodyfat % cutoff point, you could name that but it would be harder to guess.

FrothByte
Okay, so you're not looking for the biggest change, you're looking for, simply, the biggest and best shape?

That could be Jeep Swenson or Dalip Singh.

This gets too much into the lable. If you want a height/weight cutoff point, you should make one as we can just select one of those two guys and be "right."

If you want a bodyfat % cutoff point, you could name that but it would be harder to guess.

Dude, listen. I'm looking for the guy who played a SUPERHERO who had the best combination of muscle mass AND low body fat. Who was both muscular and ripped.

Jeep Swenson and Dalip Singh both fail in this category because:

a. They did not play any superhero character (bane is a villain)

and

b. They weren't exactly ripped (notice the belly fat)

P.S. I don't really think it's fair as well to include body builders in the competition... so Arnold as Conan and Michael Jai White as Spawn shouldn't count.

dadudemon
Dude, listen. I'm looking for the guy who played a SUPERHERO who had the best combination of muscle mass AND low body fat. Who was both muscular and ripped.

Jeep Swenson and Dalip Singh both fail in this category because:

a. They did not play any superhero character (bane is a villain)

and

b. They weren't exactly ripped (notice the belly fat)

P.S. I don't really think it's fair as well to include body builders in the competition... so Arnold as Conan and Michael Jai White as Spawn shouldn't count.

This isn't considered "ripped" in your opinion?

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/g/giantsingh/01.jpg

Also, I think he played a movie superhero, as well in Ramaa: The Saviour.

So he wins.

smile

Do you want the second buffest superhero? laughing

FrothByte
This isn't considered "ripped" in your opinion?

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/g/giantsingh/01.jpg

Also, I think he played a movie superhero, as well in Ramaa: The Saviour.

So he wins.

smile

Do you want the second buffest superhero? laughing

Uhuh... and when was that picture taken. Was that during the time when he was ACTUALLY playing the role of the superhero?

dadudemon
Uhuh... and when was that picture taken. Was that during the time when he was ACTUALLY playing the role of the superhero?

Yes.

Now what?

FrothByte
Then I rest my case... coz that picture obviously beats the other guys listed here.

I'm still a bit dubious though, seeing that Dalip looks at least 10 years younger in that pic. Guess I'll have to go look for that movie and watch it.

Of course, when I mentioned superheroes, I was more or less just wanting to consider current mainstream movies... coz otherwise we could simply start looking through all the more obscure films in past and present ages (like Lundgren in He-man).

But oh well... guess it was my fault for not putting enough stipulations.

Kazenji

Also, I think he played a movie superhero,

Who?

Robtard

It varies though, he's always fit, but he's gone up and down a lot.

In The Proposal he was lean and cut. In Blade III, he was buffed up a lot by comparison.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.