Dragon's Dogma

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phanteros
Capcom's new action RPG
q7kFhryQabk

gameplay(from the wiki): The player will be able to select between various types of characters, of which three have been revealed so far: the attack-focused fighter, the magic-focused mage, and the speedy strider. Gender choice and appearance settings will also be available.

While the player's party is exploring the world, the three party members who accompany the main character will be controlled by artificial intelligence, but the player can issue orders like "Go", "Help" and "Come to them". One of the party members is a non-playable character (NPC) and belongs to the main character's world. The other two party members are NPCs borrowed from other players by connecting online, but the game will not require an internet connection. However, the player can only borrow the NPCs from other players, not their main character. The party members will talk, seek out the main character's help, and will even provide information about enemies. The player will need to work on strengthening not only the main character but the party members also.

The game will feature a "grab" action, where the main character can grab on or cling to enemies. The player can use this feature for more advanced attack means. For example, the main character can either grab on to a giant griffon's legs and attack it directly, or climb up to reach the top of its head for a more lethal blow. "In a lot of action games, with big enemies the tendency is just to have you hacking away at the shins. You don't get the full effect of fighting a giant boss," Itsuno, the director of Dragon's Dogma says. "With this game you can climb all over it. If it has a body part, you can attack it."

In addition to the large open world, Dragon's Dogma will also feature a large main city environment with over 200 NPCs who will move about according to their own time schedules. The player will be able to communicate with the residents in full voice.

The game is being designed to be playable even by those who aren't too skilled at action games. These types of players can recruit strong NPCs and let them do the fighting during combat as they watch over the battlefield.

Players can look forward to anywhere between 30 and 100 hours of game time from Dragon's Dogma, with the former figure for normal play with the latter figure for those who wish to dig in to the game.

due 2012(japan)

Phanteros
QV9KyhdD9Do

Digi
Looks slick but cliche-ridden. It will likely live or die on the combat system.

And if it can be "played by those who aren't too skilled at action games" it may end up as a facerolling sleeper for those who are. Better hope it has difficulty levels.

The Shadow of the Colossus elements likely won't be awesome, but I like to see a game implementing it. It will slowly open the door for more intimidating boss fights in video games.

Phanteros
6SQHwHb_FGo

Kazenji
6RZQJ43c86o

NemeBro
Looks interesting.

Did anyone else start to get mild Drakengard vibes when the dragon began speaking in the second trailer?

Kazenji
__LJnIUBK6c#!

Kazenji
9Fh6fFDhzVU

BloodRawEngine
I watched both of Capcom's hour or so long streams of the game, and my only issue really came from seeing a bit of slowdown on the Griffin fight, but considering thatt the Griffin was on fire, there were half a dozen fodder monsters around, the player character was unleashing a special attack, and there were Pawns' spells fling all over the place with the camera itself looking pretty close to the player character, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt as an earlier build (besides, it's still really satisfying to watch when you pretend that the griffin is Gilda...)

Nonetheless, I'm not exactly cool with the stupid J-Rock theme and butt-metal guitar riffs in the soundtrack--even Monster Hunter knows how to at least be tasteful with that kind of thing (although considering it's my favorite soundtrack in an RPG, I may be kinda biased); the only monsters in that game with any trace of electric guitars in their theme songs are Alatreon and Jiinouga. On that subject, I wonder what the odds are of there being certain high-tier boss monsters with their own themes in this game.

Kazenji
No doubt there will be DLC on the disc already but you have to unlock it.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Kazenji
No doubt there will be DLC on the disc already but you have to unlock it.

And to think if the fanboys had brains, they would not support Capcom and actually protest against that kind of crap. But if they did, they probably wouldn't get their cookies from Momma Kenzo anymore which would explain why this is still continuing.

Greysen93
I think it looks pretty great. I don't plan on getting it day 1, but I'll definitely play it eventually

Greysen93
I played the demo yesterday, and I definitely think it's good.

Helena85
The player will be able to select between various types of characters, of which three have been revealed so far: the attack-focused fighter, thttp://www.dingsme.info/avatar4.jpg

jinXed by JaNx
I think as long as the combat isn't as repetitive and boring as, the witcher 2 it's got potential. I'll the demo tomorrow

Kazenji
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I think as long as the combat isn't as repetitive and boring as, the witcher 2 it's got potential. I'll the demo tomorrow

Well then your in the minority for Witcher 2....

Nephthys
NXh0Xjarsyw&feature

Nemesis X
Say hello to Dragon's Dogma's multiplayer:

8tfUT1ZuIBY

It doesn't say in the trailer but this'll probably be Day 1 DLC.

Kazenji
Capcom "Re-evaluating" On-Disc DLC Policy

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-11697-Capcom--Re-evaluating--On-Disc-DLC-Policy.html

Nemesis X
http://youtu.be/1hyn9AUzkPM?t=26s

About time they came to their senses.

Kazenji
Looks like its worth playing this game, 8.5/10 in Gameinformer.

Estacado
Ok this game will literally drive you crazy I'm a lvl 32 sorcerer with 3 pawns 32archer 31mage 31 sorcerer I just had a random boss battle against a dragon it lasted for 1 hour the dragon can basically 2 shot me the AI is retarded if one of the pawns goes down the others will automatically pick him up and he will run towards you get ass whopped in the process cause only you can revive your partners sometimes they are just simply dumb and dont attack the boss had 8 bars of health and my basic attack did no damage to him so I had to use some of the powerful spells(Missing like 2 from all of them) which takes about 15 seconds to charge and it will only take away 1/3 of 1 pf its heatlh bar while I had to run around picking up my partners so they could keep him busy during this fight I had to use 38 herbs(health recovery1/3 of health each).Oh and the boss can cancel out your spells for 1 minute making you unable to cast it so you cant really hurt it also when it sets off from ground to air which is basically the only time you can charge your spells does a knock back canceling out your spell.

RE: Blaxican
The game must have indeed driven you crazy, as you seem you have lost the ability to type properly. Ever heard of commas, bro?

NemeBro
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
The game must have indeed driven you crazy, as you seem you have lost the ability to type properly. Every heard of commas, bro? *Ever

Reported for editing quotes have fun being banned troll

Estacado
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
The game must have indeed driven you crazy, as you seem you have lost the ability to type properly. Ever heard of commas, bro?
Wtf does that have to do with the game?none

NemeBro
I loled.

Nemesis X
Just when the DLC fiasco was about to blow over, Capcom is now viewed as a bully to one of it's employees and she has filed a lawsuit against the greedy company after being harassed enough to the point she attempted to commit suicide:

http://kotaku.com/5911353/japanese-game-developer-apparently-harassed-so-much-she-attempted-suicide

Where are Japan's hardcore anti-bullying ads when you need 'em?

Nemesis X
bGlgpncvNps

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Just when the DLC fiasco was about to blow over, Capcom is now viewed as a bully to one of it's employees and she has filed a lawsuit against the greedy company after being harassed enough to the point she attempted to commit suicide:

http://kotaku.com/5911353/japanese-game-developer-apparently-harassed-so-much-she-attempted-suicide

Where are Japan's hardcore anti-bullying ads when you need 'em? I would believe that if Japanese people didn't seem prone to suicide. That seems to be their answer to everything.

Stoic
So far I'm liking this title. Capcom did a good job.

Kazenji
Capcom's pulled another Marvel vs Capcom 3 situation

re-releasing this game as Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-13933-Dragon-s-Dogma--Dark-Arisen-Not-To-Be-Sold-as-Separate-DLC.html

NemeBro
**** Capcom.

Kazenji
Surprised that they haven't pulled this shit with Resident Evil just to piss off the Resi fans.

Ridley_Prime
I should be so lucky.

Kazenji
So Dark Arisen is out and there's problems

Title Update Corrupting Some Dragon's Dogma and Dark Arisen Save Files

Capcom's Solution

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2013/04/30/psa-title-update-issue--backup-your-dragons-dogma-save-data

Stoic
I know that this title was commented on long ago, but I've finally gotten around to playing Dark Arisen, and I must say, it's effing great! It has the feel of Skyrim meets LOTR, with its deep dungeons that progressively become more difficult as you delve ever deeper. I just fought an undead Dragon, and I can't remember when the last time I had so much fun in a video game. Anyone that has not played the game should give it a once over. Wow they even have rotten meat that you can use as bait to make Hell Hounds, Super Ogres, or other OP monsters appear in some sneak attack fashion. Very excited about this one.

Stoic
Wow I just fought a Minotaur and got wasted, he hits hard as hell with that hammer.

Phoenix3068
Have you fought Death yet? He's VERY OP.

EDIT: Don't try to grapple him.

Estacado
Just got my hands on Dark Arisen gonna pop it in after finishing Dark Souls 2.

I loved this game have a lvl 127 Sorcerer it has the most badass magic visiuals ever.
All of the spells look awesome the tornado,meteor,ice pillars....

Stoic
Originally posted by Phoenix3068
Have you fought Death yet? He's VERY OP.

EDIT: Don't try to grapple him.

I ran lol... twice. I'm in this place that every time you go in he is there just waiting for you. Grapple him? He puts me to sleep every time I try, and then comes the punishment lol. he kills my stupid pawns, and then kills me as I lay sleeping. I'm trying to get rings and gear to shore up my weakness like sleep, petrification, and blindness, but in order to do that, you have to get past Death and farm the cursed relics in the area after him. I saw on Youtube that if you defeat him, or chase him off that he won't keep spawning there. The problem is that if you are extremely unlucky, an Elder Ogre will also spawn nearby, and that's really bad if you already have to deal with Big Gloomy.

Originally posted by Estacado
Just got my hands on Dark Arisen gonna pop it in after finishing Dark Souls 2.

I loved this game have a lvl 127 Sorcerer it has the most badass magic visiuals ever.
All of the spells look awesome the tornado,meteor,ice pillars....

Hmm.. You may want to change your vocation, and master the other ones so that you can get the innate perks that come with each. I've mastered Fighter, Magical Knight, and now I started working on mastering the Assassin class, actually I'm nearly done with that class. Once i've mastered all of them I'm going to return to Bitterblack Isle, and move toward finally facing off against Death. I'm learning that gear is more important than level to a certain extent. You'll see once you get in there ha ha ha. And I agree, this game is pure badassery, I wish they could team up with the Elder Scroll folks. You would get an awesomely huge world huge scary ass monsters, and the best combat moves that i have ever seen in an RPG. IMO Darks Souls 2 is boring in comparison. I actually put it down to play this.

Phoenix3068
I'm a level infinity (A.K.A. 200) and have mastered all vocations. Death is never easy but the best thing to do is to have all your pawns so you can distract him with them, letting you attack without having to worry too much. Focus with range preferably, since melee gets too close and magic takes too long to cast. Use my pawn if you want, you'd just have to add me on Live (if you have the 360 version).

At the end of Bitterblack comes another enemy called Daimon. He's usually pretty easy since his worst attack is a rift tornado that if you get caught in it 1 hits you but its suction is pretty mild, you can get out of it easily. Just make sure your pawns are no where near him when it starts lol. You can also battle him again (and all of Bitterblack) with all of them even stronger. Lots more monster spawns, much much harder. Fought against 2 or 3 wyverns at the same time in the destroyed city and it was absolute hell.

Remember this. Against the big boss enemies that feel too hard to handle, switch to Strider/Ranger/Assassin and use a Maker's Finger. Guarantee'd 1 hit kill. Even against "The Dragon". Just don't use it on the Ur-Dragon because it's kind of a waste...

Estacado
How hard is Death compared to Ur Dragon?
Last time I remember I raped Ur dragon under 3 minutes with2 Sorcerer pawns and a mage by spamming high meteor 3 at a time....haermm
I read.that you can further enhance.meteor to 15.
What are other level 3 Sorcerer spells?

Arachnid1
I really want to try this game at some point. It will have to wait though. I'm focusing on modded Skyrim, and Guild Wars 2 right now. Dark Souls comes next (the first and second since I've never played any).

I've heard this game is dull when it comes to characters and story though. Is that easy to get past with the amazing combat? And how many bosses are there?

Phoenix3068
Death is something that even with a modded character becomes very hard to beat in a single fight. He can one hit any of your pawns and you no matter how high your HP is and only you can make it out alive with a Wakestone while your pawns are forced back into the rift.

The Ur-Dragon Offline is easy and not a challenge at all. The Online Ur-Dragon, there's no way you could beat him in 3 minutes since attacks don't work like that against the Ur-Dragon (online). Ahem...

@Arachnid1: The characters aren't very memorable, not many of them anyways. There's very little if any focus on any of them and you'll probably end up forgetting about most of them 5 minutes after walking away from them. As far as the story goes, I personally love it. It feels very dark and in the end if you're one of those big picture guys who don't bother to enjoy the journey there you might not like it. The combat is amazing though can sometimes feel a little limiting (like when you get stuck trying to climb the dragons leg for 3 minutes because for some reason you go from climbing up the outside onto his back to climbing the inside on his crotch). I think the best feeling from the game is being able to feel like you're creating the story specifically for you. For me, it was like Fable done Well.

Estacado
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I really want to try this game at some point. It will have to wait though. I'm focusing on modded Skyrim, and Guild Wars 2 right now. Dark Souls comes next (the first and second since I've never played any).

I've heard this game is dull when it comes to characters and story though. Is that easy to get past with the amazing combat? And how many bosses are there?
Gameplay wise and visually it's one of the most satisfying rpg.

Imo Dogma>>>>Dark Souls though I have only played Ds2.

Stoic
Originally posted by Phoenix3068
I'm a level infinity (A.K.A. 200) and have mastered all vocations. Death is never easy but the best thing to do is to have all your pawns so you can distract him with them, letting you attack without having to worry too much. Focus with range preferably, since melee gets too close and magic takes too long to cast. Use my pawn if you want, you'd just have to add me on Live (if you have the 360 version).

At the end of Bitterblack comes another enemy called Daimon. He's usually pretty easy since his worst attack is a rift tornado that if you get caught in it 1 hits you but its suction is pretty mild, you can get out of it easily. Just make sure your pawns are no where near him when it starts lol. You can also battle him again (and all of Bitterblack) with all of them even stronger. Lots more monster spawns, much much harder. Fought against 2 or 3 wyverns at the same time in the destroyed city and it was absolute hell.

Remember this. Against the big boss enemies that feel too hard to handle, switch to Strider/Ranger/Assassin and use a Maker's Finger. Guarantee'd 1 hit kill. Even against "The Dragon". Just don't use it on the Ur-Dragon because it's kind of a waste...

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I gave up on the 360 console after 4 systems burned out on me, and yet my PS3 never has. Pretty weird huh? I don't think I'll fight Daimon right away then because I know how difficult new game plus is when playing Dogma. I'll get up to 200 first, and get all of the master rings, and either the hell forged gear or other similar top gear.

How hard is Death compared to Ur Dragon?
Last time I remember I raped Ur dragon under 3 minutes with2 Sorcerer pawns and a mage by spamming high meteor 3 at a time....haermm
I read.that you can further enhance.meteor to 15.
What are other level 3 Sorcerer spells?

Did you fight the Ur Dragon online? I did in the first game, and he seemed easier than he is now. Now he's really difficult.

Originally posted by Arachnid1

The game is more quest driven, and less story driven, although there is a story to it, you will find yourself fighting more than listening to people. Dark Souls however is even worse if you are a story seeking player. The combat is awesome, and like i said before, I put Dark Souls 2 down to play Dogma.

Don't get me wrong, Dark Souls is a great game, but, when it comes to the control feel of the two, Dragons Dogma feels solid, while Dark Souls 2 feels as if you're running around on banana peels. In other words it felt very loose to me, and I had to adjust the cams sensitivity to it's lowest setting.

Gameplay wise and visually it's one of the most satisfying rpg.

Imo Dogma>>>>Dark Souls though I have only played Ds2.

I couldn't agree more with you on it's visuals, and game play, the only thing that I would complain about is the size of the world, and that it could have a bit more story progression. I really hope that they make another one in the future, but I have my doubts due to Capcoms recent losses. This game may be too large of a risk, for them to make another one.

Phoenix3068
Actually, if you search for Dragon's Dogma 2, there's more then rumors that a second game is coming out. An actual sequel, not that other capcom game that seems sort of like dogma.

Is the size of the world too big for you? Port Crystals are available during New Game+ which you can set all around the world. You can also find them inside a lot of dungeons (Witchwoods, Bluemoon Tower, Fortress, etc).

For those of you having trouble with defeating monsters during the Post-Game. The following augments are available for specific classes.
Augment Strength
Greatly Augment Strength
Augment Magic
Greatly Augment Magic
Augment Strength while Clinging to Foe
Decrease Cast Time
Augment Health
Augment Stamina
Carry more Weight
Render one weight lighter

If you're the type who doesn't like fighting with your pawn (or don't mind it I should say) using Assassin Augments and fighting at night augments most of your stats. For Strength Augments, Fighter and Warrior. For Magic Augments, Mage and Sorcerer.

Stoic
I was making a Sorcerer build, but which is better that Mage, or the Sorcerer? I keep a Mage in my party at all times, because they heal, and cure.

Stoic
I just found a place to purchase the Fiend Luring Incense (at the Black Cat) which summons the fiercest beasts on Bitterblack Island. Can you see me dancin? I'm dancin, I'm dancin!

Estacado
Originally posted by Stoic
I was making a Sorcerer build, but which is better that Mage, or the Sorcerer? I keep a Mage in my party at all times, because they heal, and cure.
Go for sorcerer they have the badass destruction spells like ice tentacles ,tornado or meteorite.

Gonna start my Dark Arisen playthrough soon...

Jmanghan
Bumping this, cause of the PC release, and so the two threads aren't confused.

They aren't completely different games, but DA adds JUST enough to warrant it's own thread.

Jmanghan
UR-Dragon Gen 865 is here.

Anyone need a pawn?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.