inimalist's Tournament - Drafts: Round 2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

inimalist
Round 2 of drafting, same as before

inimalist
Zarrko, the tomorrow man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zarrko

Zarrko is being drafted as a never used character

inimalist
Captain Comet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Comet

inimalist
Multiple Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Madrox

inimalist
Manchester Black

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Black

Being drafted as a never used character

Simbon
Ah yes, the great Manchester Black. Allied with Chase perhaps?

But regarding Captain Comet -- isn't he substantially more powerful than Magneto? and possibly unkillable? I don't know that much about the character, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the respect thread has him one-shotting sinestro, displaying xavier-level TP feats, physical abilities comparable to PC supes, TK on the level of Cable or Exodus, and a host of other abilities.

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by Simbon
Ah yes, the great Manchester Black. Allied with Chase perhaps?

But regarding Captain Comet -- isn't he substantially more powerful than Magneto? and possibly unkillable? I don't know that much about the character, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the respect thread has him one-shotting sinestro, displaying xavier-level TP feats, physical abilities comparable to PC supes, TK on the level of Cable or Exodus, and a host of other abilities.

Comet worries me too... he's a top tier telepath - up there with Manchester, Cable and stuff but having also your typical flying brick powerset. He, like Martian Manhunter, always seemed belonging to mid-herald tier to me...

inimalist
My thoughts on Comet, after reading the respect thread:

- In terms of his TP/TK, I think it is generally tough to measure what would be "Magneto-level" mind powers. However, I don't see a lot from Comet that makes me think he is above the limits in terms of his psi alone. He is top tier, for sure, but this is fine imho.

- I'm fine with versatile, powerful characters. Just because someone is a psi doesn't mean they can't also have a standard brick powerset, so long as these powers don't violate the limits themselves. I guess there might be a point, but I don't think Comet's sheer versatility comes near that.

- All that said, from the respect thread mind you, I get the impression Comet is legitimately just too durabile for the limits. Not only is there a seeming list of things that just can't hurt him, period, he has an astral form that is nigh immune to damage (this would be ok if his physical body didn't also seem nigh immune). Adding the "adaptiveness" and his ability to heal himself seem to make him a bit too powerful.

Like I said, I'm just going from KM's scans here, so if the participant who selected Comet wants to PM me to appeal this, cool, or feel free to post here, but otherwise I say he is out because of too high durability.

Blair Wind
Originally posted by inimalist
My thoughts on Comet, after reading the respect thread:

- In terms of his TP/TK, I think it is generally tough to measure what would be "Magneto-level" mind powers. However, I don't see a lot from Comet that makes me think he is above the limits in terms of his psi alone. He is top tier, for sure, but this is fine imho.

- I'm fine with versatile, powerful characters. Just because someone is a psi doesn't mean they can't also have a standard brick powerset, so long as these powers don't violate the limits themselves. I guess there might be a point, but I don't think Comet's sheer versatility comes near that.

- All that said, from the respect thread mind you, I get the impression Comet is legitimately just too durabile for the limits. Not only is there a seeming list of things that just can't hurt him, period, he has an astral form that is nigh immune to damage (this would be ok if his physical body didn't also seem nigh immune). Adding the "adaptiveness" and his ability to heal himself seem to make him a bit too powerful.

Like I said, I'm just going from KM's scans here, so if the participant who selected Comet wants to PM me to appeal this, cool, or feel free to post here, but otherwise I say he is out because of too high durability.

To high durability? If we are basing this around Magneto level, then shouldn't his durability be based next to Magneto's shields durability - which to my knowledge have never actually been broken in the last 20-30+ years?

inimalist
it's not so much the straight durability. if he just had high end invulnerability, I'd probably be less skeptical, but he also has the ability to adapt to attacks, or use atomic level tk to heal himself even when he is hurt.

there are defiantly ways to get around mags shields. with comet I don't see it that way. it seems like he could legitimately "adapt" to any attack that might surpass his invuln, or heal anything that managed to hurt him. it just seems to me that you could fairly easily argue that there is no reasonable way for the average mid herald to take him down.

again, I'm not sure if this is average showing or just the respect thread

-K-M-
Man I'm great

also just to note current Comet is physically weaker then his classic (old man)body, but has greater telepathy and tk and has the ability to teleport where his classic body doesn't.

Pre-Crisis Comet mostly used the adapting ability as he was far weaker then classic or current Comet so needed it more.

inimalist
ya, the participant has stipulated current (post '06) comet, and I'm inclined to accept that, just wan to check a bit tonight.

great respect thread though, that is true

-K-M-
Oh then if its current the feats of him one-shotting Hal Jordan, Sinestro, etc are void.

Simbon
So... When's round 3?

inimalist
So, as long as Comet is restricted to the sort of post-06 time-frame, I see no problem with him, especially considering people like Manchester and God-Cable are being allowed

Originally posted by Simbon
So... When's round 3?

soon, I'm waiting on another participant to draft round 1 & 2 though

I suppose we can start it tuesday night at midnight though

psycho gundam
I'm waiting on another participant to draft round 1 & 2 though
how's that going to work?

inimalist
Originally posted by psycho gundam
how's that going to work?

the participant tell me their drafts and I will post them

I waived the "late draft" penalty because there was a valid RL issue, but there wont be nearly as much anonymity in the choices, because it will be obvious which characters are on this participant's team, which is enough of a penalty in my mind.

psycho gundam
[edit

inimalist
Dr Doom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Doom

inimalist
Multiple Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Madrox

multiple man was drafted as an unused character

inimalist
multiple man was drafted as an unused character

http://houseofzod.yuku.com/topic/387/t/Week-5-Team-Leo-Vs-Team-Smurph.html

multiple man is previously used

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.