NY Senator Wants to Ban Texting While Walking

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
http://communication-solutions.tmcnet.com/topics/communication-solutions/articles/138916-ny-senator-wants-ban-texting-while-walking.htm

Wow, man. Is this proposed law really necessary? Any chance of it passing?

ADarksideJedi
I think they are really over doing things in that state.First it is banning Transfat then smoking and now this?What is happening to this country?

Rogue Jedi
I'm all for banning texting and driving, but this? Come on.

dadudemon
I'm all for banning smoking. smile

Texting while walking? Have they even heard of the "camera" augmented reality texting apps?

I see this as old white men being old white men.

Peach
I'm all for banning smoking in public places, too, I kind of like being able to go places without my throat closing up.

Texting while walking, that's a bit overkill. I mean, what's really the risk here? That you might accidentally bump into someone else? Big freaking deal...

Mindship
No texting while walking, I would think, would be one helluva law to try and enforce. On the other hand: quite a few times I've had to honk people jaywalking (usually teenage girls) back into consciousness, while they were texting or chirping away at warp 10. My only regret is that, in their startle response, they didn't drop their phones.

Impediment
If you're going to ban texting while walking, then you might as well ban all cell phone use as well. It's f*cking silly, if you ask me.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Peach
I'm all for banning smoking in public places, too, I kind of like being able to go places without my throat closing up.

thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up

It would definitely be different if there weren't obvious medical reasons to ban public smoking. I'm all for the rights of the individual to do whatever they want to their own body...but when what they do to their body affects me, well...that sh*t has got to stop. laughing

Impediment
LOLZ at the non-smokers. stick out tongue

You guys are still cool in my book, though.

kGApkbcaZK4

Symmetric Chaos
They eventually retracted that show after they found out they themselves had been spewing bullshit. It turns out that just going against the mainstream isn't enough to make you right.

Bardock42
Well they retracted parts of it (the part where they claimed there were no other studies on the dangers of second hand smoke) after allegedly hearing about other studies. They did not retract their fundamental opposition to the banning of smoking, in particular in privately held establishments like bars and restaurant, against the owners will.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well they retracted parts of it (the part where they claimed there were no other studies on the dangers of second hand smoke) after allegedly hearing about other studies. They did not retract their fundamental opposition to the banning of smoking, in particular in privately held establishments like bars and restaurant, against the owners will.

Huh, I didn't even know there were laws on the books that could ban smoking in private places.

Bicnarok

dadudemon
Originally posted by Impediment

kGApkbcaZK4

And this is one of those instances where Penn and Teller are wrong.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/ETS

Here's a giant list of secondhand smoke studies:

http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/SHSBibliography.pdf

Seriously, it's like they didn't even bother looking at any science at all when making that episode. That's not the first time that Penn and Teller have been as wrong as you can possibly get. However, I love the utter living shit out of their duo.

There are plenty of studies linking secondhand smoke being "bad". Then there are those, like myself and Peach, who get bronchitis and nosebleeds from secondhand smoke. It's POSSIBLE that I get bronchitis due to the paralysis of the cilia in my trachea and bronchi. 313 I admit, readily, that I am the exception, not the rule.

However, and this is odd: I do not get that way around secondhand weed smoke. Maybe everyone should replace their cigarettes with left-handed cigs?

Edit - Read the other posts. Apparently, I need to read a bit farther down the page.

inimalist
Originally posted by dadudemon
However, and this is odd: I do not get that way around secondhand weed smoke. Maybe everyone should replace their cigarettes with left-handed cigs?

it would be interesting to see if you get a similar reaction from raw tobacco versus cigs

Lord Lucien
Did anyone else see that it was about banning texting while crossing the street, not walking in general?

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
it would be interesting to see if you get a similar reaction from raw tobacco versus cigs

Honestly, my homie is a "raw" tobacco leaf smoker. He uses MJ papers (I don't now what those shits are called...but almost everyone uses it to roll joints). I've always stood upwind when he smoked but I COULD stand downwind to see if it affects me the same way. I don't wannna! waaaaah! laughing

Robtard
I'm all for banning smoking. smile

Fascist.

Though I am for banning all smoking except it designated areas, like the enclosed areas in Airports, where one can look at all the smokers safely through a wall of glass.

Rogue Jedi
Honestly, my homie is a "raw" tobacco leaf smoker. He uses MJ papers (I don't now what those shits are called...but almost everyone uses it to roll joints). I've always stood upwind when he smoked but I COULD stand downwind to see if it affects me the same way. I don't wannna! waaaaah! laughing ew

inimalist
Honestly, my homie is a "raw" tobacco leaf smoker. He uses MJ papers (I don't now what those shits are called...but almost everyone uses it to roll joints). I've always stood upwind when he smoked but I COULD stand downwind to see if it affects me the same way. I don't wannna! waaaaah! laughing

"raw" as in, picked fresh out of the ground, or "raw" as in a bag of already treated tobacco that comes in the "roll-your-own" variety?

the latter is still treated with numerous chemicals that aren't in natural tobacco, afaik

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Impediment

kGApkbcaZK4

Me as well.But it seems that everything that is being banned in NY is really taking peoples rights away all the time!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.