Can an opinion be wrong?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mac-11
Can an opinion be wrong or not?

AthenasTrgrFngr
yes

Symmetric Chaos
No, though it can be stupid and uninformed.

Lucius
Republicans exist.

stick out tongue

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by mac-11
Can an opinion be wrong or not? I don't think so, no.

ADarksideJedi
Yea but it is normal for others to think they are right and the other one is wrong.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by AthenasTrgrFngr
yes wrong eek!

The Dark Cloud
absolutely

Rogue Jedi
pWdd6_ZxX8c&feature=related

Omega Vision
Opinions aren't about right or wrong.

They are all about informed vs misinformed, sane vs insane, and well founded vs baseless.

inimalist
Originally posted by AthenasTrgrFngr
yes

Deja~vu
Can an opinion be wrong or not? Yes because it's only an opinion and that doesn't make it a fact.

TacDavey
Depends on what you mean by "right or wrong" I guess. If you mean true or false, then no. Opinions are not true or false. If an "opinion" is true, it's a fact and not an opinion.

If you mean "right or wrong" in terms of morality. Like evil or good. Then yes they can.

King Kandy
I'd say the vast majority of opinions are wrong.

mac-11
Originally posted by King Kandy
I'd say the vast majority of opinions are wrong.

I'd have to agree with this. How can opinions never be wrong? That never made sense to me. An opinion is defined as a belief or judgment but if one were to say, "I believe that gravity does not exist," would they not be wrong simply on the grounds that they're expressing that statement as an "opinion?" That seems nonsensical.

Bardock42

Opinions can be wrong in the sense that they make false statements about reality.

you get thorns

You want my opinion? What if I'm wrong?

skizo
Yes opinions can be wrong. Generally speaking people with dumbass opinions will tell you otherwise.

Deja~vu
Delusional people often like to give opinions now does that make you feel better if you listen to them??

Only if you want your life to be hell, it would. lol

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
Opinions can be wrong in the sense that they make false statements about reality.

But then they're statements of fact not opinions, aren't they?

Sentences like "In my opinion gravity doesn't happen." seems nonsensical to me.

jinXed by JaNx
Are Jalapenos hot? Some people say yes some people say no. The people who say no are wrong, So, yes, an opinion can be wrong.

Robtard
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Are Jalapenos hot? Some people say yes some people say no. The people who say no are wrong, So, yes, an opinion can be wrong.

"Hot" being subjective though. To the woman who can eat Ghost Chilis like they were candy, jalapenos wouldn't be hot.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
But then they're statements of fact not opinions, aren't they?

Sentences like "In my opinion gravity doesn't happen." seems nonsensical to me.

I don't see why opinions and statements of presumed facts are mutually exclusive.

AbnormalButSane
Absolutely

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Robtard
"Hot" being subjective though. To the woman who can eat Ghost Chilis like they were candy, jalapenos wouldn't be hot.

yeah, but they're still spicy hot and if they don't acknowledge that they're wrong. Whats a Ghost chili?

Existere
If you define 'opinion' to simply be a personal view of an entirely subjective and nonquantifiable matter, then it's hard to argue that opinions can be definitely wrong.

That being said, if opinions are simply synonyms for beliefs, then sure, they can be wrong. People believe wrong things all the time. Someone could not believe in gravity, which sounds equally silly but perhaps less nonsensical than someone holding the opinion that gravity doesn't exist.

Maybe because beliefs are usually distinguished as separate from facts, whereas opinions are thought of as based on facts, though neither beliefs nor opinions are limited to such distinctions.

Deja~vu
I've listened to a lot of opinions and I don't agree with them...Hence Jesus is real and you're going to Hell. lol

Peach
Of course opinions can be wrong.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Existere
If you define 'opinion' to simply be a personal view of an entirely subjective and nonquantifiable matter, then it's hard to argue that opinions can be definitely wrong.

That being said, if opinions are simply synonyms for beliefs, then sure, they can be wrong. People believe wrong things all the time. Someone could not believe in gravity, which sounds equally silly but perhaps less nonsensical than someone holding the opinion that gravity doesn't exist.

Maybe because beliefs are usually distinguished as separate from facts, whereas opinions are thought of as based on facts, though neither beliefs nor opinions are limited to such distinctions.
I agree, basically. I mentally differentiate what i consider a "true" opinion (something that can't be proved or falsified), and factual claims (which account for almost all things labeled "opinions"wink. I rarely talk about my opinions, and when I do i always make it clear that that's all they are.

Deja~vu
Me too because many people have different ones than I do. When they argue then I say, "Every-body's entitled to their own opinions, ya know."

kgkg
Yes opinions can be wrong.

Lord Lucien
Well that's just your opinion.

kgkg

The MISTER
Originally posted by Existere

Maybe because beliefs are usually distinguished as separate from facts, whereas opinions are thought of as based on facts, though neither beliefs nor opinions are limited to such distinctions. I think that you're on the right track amongst these posts. From childhood haven't we all been taught that opinions are peoples personal stances on their preferences? When people take the idea of what an opinion is out of context then perhaps it could be wrong, but then the idea about what one is has to be skewed.

Opinions deal with all the things that aren't facts. How can they be wrong when they only apply to the individual? We love it, or we hate it, we think it's ugly or pretty , someone seems honest, or shady. When people start sharing facts they have left their opinions behind and can then be correct or incorrect.

For example if you think I'm stupid then that's your opinion, but if you think I'm wrong then you should be able to prove it. I could have an IQ of 500 and nobody could tell you that you do think I'm smart if you plainly don't. But if I'm wrong about something many people could present the evidence contrasting what I'm saying.

Liberator
Yes, you're wrong I'm right.

Robtard
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
yeah, but they're still spicy hot and if they don't acknowledge that they're wrong. Whats a Ghost chili?

To some people they're not though. People's reaction to capsaicin varies.

Ghost Chili = One of the hottest peppers on the planet. Known as the 'Bhut Jolokia' from India. I think it's ranked 2-3 hottest pepper on the Scoville Scale, or close to 1,000,000 Scoville points.

cdtm
Originally posted by Lucius
Republicans exist.

stick out tongue

Damn right. All "true" Conservatives can attest to how wrongheaded many Republican opinions are. stick out tongue

And Democrats exist. too. evil face

cdtm
Originally posted by The MISTER

Opinions deal with all the things that aren't facts. How can they be wrong when they only apply to the individual? We love it, or we hate it, we think it's ugly or pretty , someone seems honest, or shady. When people start sharing facts they have left their opinions behind and can then be correct or incorrect.

If you take the argument of "No opinion is wrong" to it's extreme, you can come up with some pretty interesting results.

For example, you say the sky is blue. I say it's green.

Both are opinions. The designation of colors (Or value of numbers, letters, ect..) has no basis in fact, at all. They're simply standards we use to communicate information.

Another thing not based on fact: Humans have basic human rights.

Some people may not believe in this. Some cultures may not believe in this. Maybe one country has a subclass of people that are forced to labor for an upper class, work in terrible conditions, and can be killed at the slightest provocation, real or imagined.

But hey, they're entitled to their opinion, right? Who are we to call them wrong?

King Kandy
Originally posted by cdtm
Damn right. All "true" Conservatives can attest to how wrongheaded many Republican opinions are. stick out tongue

And Democrats exist. too. evil face
Democrats exist, but they might as well not.

Symmetric Chaos
If you take the argument of "No opinion is wrong" to it's extreme, you can come up with some pretty interesting results.

For example, you say the sky is blue. I say it's green.

Both are opinions. The designation of colors (Or value of numbers, letters, ect..) has no basis in fact, at all. They're simply standards we use to communicate information.

The actual color of the sky in, essentially, a matter of fact. I suppose a colorblind person might perceive it differently but we can still described it based on wavelength.

Now if you mean a purely semantic argument of "In my opinion the color of the sky is called green." then we can and should simply ignore such a person. They've rejected the very language they are using to communicate their idea, no discussion is possible to begin with.

Another thing not based on fact: Humans have basic human rights.

Some people may not believe in this. Some cultures may not believe in this. Maybe one country has a subclass of people that are forced to labor for an upper class, work in terrible conditions, and can be killed at the slightest provocation, real or imagined.

But hey, they're entitled to their opinion, right?

Yes, in my opinion, they are absolutely entitled to their opinion that slavery is okay.

Who are we to call them wrong?

We're people who disagree with them. Duh?

Acknowledging that people have the right to their own opinions doesn't mean letting them do whatever they want. If, in your opinion, slavery is bad then you should still fight for it even though it is not a factual matter.

Thomasscot
Yes Its Possible.

Grate the Vraya
If the facts backing an opinion are wrong then the opinion is invalid which is just as good as wrong.

Deja~vu
Opinions are only your point of view, just hope you'res are right.

The Father
Only the lord is always right.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.