War movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

VampirePrincess
Once again we are stuck in war movie mod... Whats your thought on all these war movies for the past 3 years?

Me personally its bothering me. I can understand putting out a war movie once in awhile but to have tons of them to the point were they do not look fun to watch any more. I was happy to see them go and at least have memories of the war films but know they are coming back to back which makes me wonder how creative hollywood is getting lately. They seem to be lacking in good films.

Asami
Hiya Vampire Princess!!
Saving Private Ryan was the best war movie I saw, Thin Red Line was a major disappoinment for me sad

Its a rather disturbing thoguht, but is Hollywood getting inspiration for movies from current affairs???? Oh NO!!! sad

Ushgarak
I preferred Thin Red Line.

VampirePrincess
Its sad really... Saving Private Ryan never bothered me... It was the first and from what I think it was the best of all war movies that came out in the last 20 years or so. Then again I could be wrong... But with more and more coming out its just not good.

Hollywood needs to start getting new ideas. I was glad to see them go into a fantasy fun ideas with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings but they are losing it expecially in the pure action catagory.

I never really saw Thin Red Line but from what I understand you either loved it or hated it.

BackFire349
War movies were at their prime in the late 80's with movies like platoon and full metal jacket, which didnt rely on flashy camera work to portray "realism" like war movies today do. They relied more on showing the emotional anguish of the characters and the events showed on screen. Now war movies just show americans as do gooders who are all heroes and never do any wrong. Well ask anyone who was in the vietnam war and you will learn that this isnt the case. As showed very bluntly in platoon, which is recognized by most people as the most realistic war movie ever made, as far as the moral and the way the fights are shown. Now we get to full metal jacket, a movie not really about war, but about the dehumanization of the soldiers into trained killing machines and again, showing that americans are not always the "good guys" war movies of late are a joke and are simply ways of raising the already too high patriotic feel most americans feel today. I love america, but i am not naive enough to think that we are constant heroes in war, it simply isnt the case and untill some war movies get made today showing this, plus relying on more then just a jittery camera and big explosions to show how war is, i am boycotting war movies.

Asami
Full Metal Jacket, I found that so degrading towards Viets!!!

I think my dad was in the war but did a run or something.............

VampirePrincess
Oh yeah I forgot about those movies.

I am boycotting war movies as well. Can't stand them any more.

Well vietnam was not a fun thing. The Americans in the war of Vietnam were disgracefull because of their fear. They killed many children because they feared they held bombs. What those movies show is what could of happened and what probably did.

BackFire349
well the vietnamese faught very dirty in that war, americans had no choice but to kill those children because the vietnamese did use children as weapons. sad but true.

VampirePrincess
Yeah I know which makes the whole war was a mess.

BackFire349
yes, well war isnt supposed to be pretty.

finti
well no movie comes up aganst the HBO series Bands of Brother

BackFire349
aka saving private ryan 2, that series was lame, nothing but fighting, no character development, nothing new to the war genre. just a 9 hour long recreation of saving private ryan.

finti
why do you need character development. It was a story of the event from d-day to the end of the war. If you want character development read a book

Bad Boy
Some of the war scenes in Pearl Harbor were immense, but some others were unforgiveable like when Affleck and Hartnett fight back in their planes

Ushgarak
Band of Brothers was amazing. It also had amazing and believable characters; I have no comprehension of Backfire's comments here. The fact it was mostly true also helped...

Thomas H
Well, to correct you Finit..its Band of Brothers!

Black Hawk Down is probably the best war movie ever made
then comes Saving Private Ryan, Platoon and so on.....

But Band of Brothers is the best miniseries ever!

Thomas H
The same happend in Somalia, in 1993.
The war lords used women and children as shields!

mechmoggy
I enjoyed Platoon and Full Metal Jacket, SPR was long but good (yes yes I cried at the end), BHD was good but I never managed to get into Band of Brother because of my busy schedule.

War movies will always portray one side as the goodies and the other as the baddies, I think in reality they're both on a regular basis.

Thats what war is about, while killing someone to save a buddy for instance, they orphan children and make widows of their wives. Doesn't matter what the wars about, nobody comes away from it feeling like they've won anything.

mah
Apocalypse Now is the best, period. (Full Metal Jacket second.)

Thomas H
well, I have only heard about Band of Brothers...

The best war movie ever i Black Hawk Down...

and Bad Boy...when Afflec and Hartnett fight back the japs...at Pearl Harbor..that really happend...two pilots got up in the air and shoot down 7 air crafts----

Thomas H
Apacolype Now is sooooooooo unrealistic!!! Full Metal Jacket is quite good!

Asami
The Twin Towers was partially a "war" movie weren't it.... Well, battle more like I guess....

BackFire349
apocolypse now is to silly. and any good war movie or series needs character development, cuz if you dont care for the characters on screen whats the point of watching them? fight scenes were good. nothing more.

mah
too silly? it's one of the greatest films ever, I'll tell ya.

BackFire349
yeah, too silly. i agree it was a great movie and had a great premise...and one of the best titles of any war movie.... but the whole idea of a rogue general forming a platoon that large is impossible. not to mention that if someone had done that, the army simply would have dropped bombs on their base, not sent in 4 guys to kill them.

Bad Boy
Tom H, yeah I know it really happened, but the whole tone of the sequence is bad. The first sequence where they are being chased is fine, but when they fight back over battleship row, with the triumphant music is over-the-top!

finti
The series is about the events of the airborne unit, not the characterisation of the people

BackFire349
even so, with 10 hours of time, they should be able to develop the characters somewhat. at least to the point where the viewer wont have trouble remembering there names.

finti
it is a TRUE story how can you have charachter development if there wasnt one at all.

BackFire349
i dont see what it has to do with a true story, there are many movies made from true stories, and they have development of some sort. many many war movies were after true stories and true events. doesnt mean they cant add something to make us care whether the character on screen lives or die.

Thomas H
I think the carracther devolpement in Band of Brothers are good...

a specially for the two top commanders...one acted by Donni Whalberg
and Bill Guarnee, who was a soldier (cant remember the actors name) was great devolped....all in all the carracther devlpement was superb!!

And Apacolypse is one of the worst war movies ever....

finti
THE SERIES IS ABOUT THE EVENTS THAT THE PLATOON/UNIT ENCOUNTER, NOT THE DEVELOPMENT PERSONAL CHARACTERS.

Some are more interested in what really happened rather that off charachter development

mah
then it's a plain re-enactment of the happenings, a sort of-documentary, which can' t be entertaining.

finti
why cant documentary be entertaining?

mah
not as a long series meant to keep the interest up over a long time. (btw, i havent watched band of brothers, so it might be all the entertainment you could want, im just talking about the subject in general)

finti
well kept my interest on top through out the entire time, but then agian I am a sucker for historical things

Thomas H
9,5 on Imdb says the hole thing!!

mah
it says nought

Asami
.......... i enjoy watching documentaries!

BackFire349
platoon was the most historically accurate war movie there is, every sequence in that movie actually happened. still had well developed characters, and a running time of 2 hours. band of brothers had running time of 10 hours or so. shoulda made the characters real characters instead of just soldier who we didnt care about. watching mindless battles over and over again got very boring when you dont care for the characters.

finti
cause Platoon was meant to have some character developments Band of Brothers was not. I found Band of brothers amazing and will soon see it again. I have seen Platoon twice I think, but i found Hamburger Hill better

BackFire349
hamburger hills good.

Max Power
I gotta disagree. I think Band of Brothers is a fantastic miniseries and I saw some definite character development. Maybe you don't feel as though you saw enough of it because there were so many characters to deal with? But I loved it. I thought they did a great job making the show realistic and I think the actors really did take on the personas of their characters.

In general, I like war movie if its well done and at least moderately realistic. Black Hawk Down was good. Behind Enemy Lines was good until the last 20 minutes. I saw Tears of the Sun this weekend and it was very good. I read that one of the actors in the movie actually WAS a Recon Marine who served for 4 years. Thats going to help the realism involved.

finti
Behind enemy lines sucked, dont know anything about tears of the sun

Ushgarak
Doesn't the fact that the characters in BoB WERE real help at all, Backfire? I sure as hell cared for them.

BackFire349
i didnt. the fact that they may have been real people doesnt change anything, when you watch a movie you should feel as though you know a character, and thus connect with him and feel for him. i didnt feel like that at all with band of brothers, they were just faceless soldiers to me. i mean they coulda cut back on a couple battles to develop them a little, no one would missed it.

finti
i would have missed the battles

BackFire349
i wouldnt have. there were plenty.

finti
well there are plenty of films that have character development too

BackFire349
and theres a reason for that. it makes the movies better.

finti
well that is your opinion, but sometimes I feel it is just as important to tell the stories of the events rather than how characters develop through out it

BackFire349
a good movie can have both.

finti
but dont need both

Ushgarak
Well, I am sad you did not, BF, but I connected very well with the characters in BoB. They were all myself and my brother talked about for weeks.

BackFire349
yeah, they were just faceless soldiers to me.

GOONIEGIRL
What about Enemy at the Gates? Personally, that is my favorite.

Saving Private Ryan comes in very close at second.

Oh yeah, did anyone happen to see No Man's Land? I thought it was pretty good....even with the sub-titles!

BackFire349
platoon, paths of glory, and full metal jacket are the best.

mechmoggy
I really enjoyed Enemy at the Gates, it rocked.

finti
oh Paths of Glory was rather good, not to many war movies from WW1, "all is quiet on the western front " is good too

Thomas H
just bought the Black Hawk DOwn extended DVD!!!

Captain REX
Cool. smile

The only war films I have seen are Black Hawk Down and The Longest Day (I think those are the only two...there might be more). The Longest Day was fairly good. It was about the Allies storming Omaha Beach and that area during WWII. The Germans didn't stand a chance...

Omaha was also very good in Medal of Honor: Frontline. They should make a movie out of that game. Jimmy Patterson would make a good character.

finti
actually the Germans put up one hell of a resistance

BackFire349
yeah its agreat game.

finti
movies not games

mah
Medal of Honor: Frontline is a great game

finti
well take those games and discuss it elsewhere

Captain REX
Fine... sad j/k

I was just saying that Medal of Honor would make a good movie.

And your right, they did put up a great resistance. We entered Normandy though, didn't we?

What was Norway doing during WWII?

finti
So back to war movies then

Thomas H
Black Hawk Down...

Saw another war movie that I bought in London...Its called A Bridge Too Far, and impressed me like hell, it had a superb cast, Gene Hackman, Sean Connery, Robert Reedford, James Caan and so on...probably one of the best war movies in the 70s and 80s....superb!!

finti
must be a long movie since it is the best of the 70`s and 80`s

finti
actually it is from 1977 same as good ol SW ooooh and I almost forgott, Liv Ullman is in it too sicksicksicksick

Captain REX
Sean Connery is in The Longest Day aswell. He comes with the Scottish reinforments and falls off the boat because he wants to kick some German ass. roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
probably trip while stepping on his SKIRT

Ushgarak
Omaha Beach and 'that area'

You mean most of Normandy, Rex. The Longest Day was about the whole thing.

Julie
war movies are cool....but probably very inappropriate at the moment....too much real war to be "relaxing"

Thomas H
has anyone been watching Profiles From The Front Line on ABC on Thursdays....I wounder if its any good....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.