Shinto Morality

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
I'm utterly lost when it comes to Shintoism, though I do find it interesting.

What I'm wondering is what, if anything, in Shinto is the agency of morality?

For example: Karma (and at times the Gods) in Hinduism, God/Allah in Abrahamic Faiths, etc.

Symmetric Chaos
According to wikipedia its kegare and kiyomi, purity and impurity, which seem to be similar to the western concept of good and bad karma.

On the other hand a look at google produces a lot of claims that Shinto has no moral code built into it.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
According to wikipedia its kegare and kiyomi, purity and impurity, which seem to be similar to the western concept of good and bad karma.

On the other hand a look at google produces a lot of claims that Shinto has no moral code built into it.
interesting.

is there a punishment/reward system at all?

King Kandy
Originally posted by Omega Vision
interesting.

is there a punishment/reward system at all?
Yes, you're awarded with good luck if you purchase any of the overpriced trinkets they sell at their temples...

Omega Vision
Originally posted by King Kandy
Yes, you're awarded with good luck if you purchase any of the overpriced trinkets they sell at their temples...
Sounds lucrative.

King Kandy
It is. Shinto at this point, is mostly a money-making enterprise in my eyes. You think those temple priestesses are in it for the spiritual aspects? They do it because they get paid. They are not like nuns.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.