DCU gets remade - all books are #1s, Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on Justice League, more

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Philosophía
Geezus.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/05/31/dc-comics-announces-historic-renumbering-of-all-superhero-titles-and-landmark-day-and-date-digital-distribution/

Important part:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-05-31-dc-comics-reinvents_n.htm

http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2011/05/31/dc-comics-reinvents-PG564MG-x.jpg

I notice a slight costume change for Superman - but expect that and the age as just the beginning.

Crisis on Infinite Earths type of reboot. Just damn. This could be great.

JakeTheBank

BlackZero30x
i knew of this awhile ago so i went and asked my local comic shop they said that when something like this happens the company has to notify its retailers...and they were not notified so it is just a not gonna happen im told. they went on to say maybe a few books might but it's really doubtful.

Philosophía
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
no expression

I don't even...what the hell?

I like Geoff Johns as a writer and all, but no, I don't want to see him helming the JLA - admittedly, JLA can't get much worse than it is now under Robinson - and everything else he's likely going to be handling such as Green Lantern and Aquaman. Rebooting all the books to #1 is ridiculous, imo to say nothing of trying to reset the DCU. Again. Geoff Johns and Jim Lee are exactly what the Justice League needs. The book has been terrible for quite a while, and it needs the attentiond and quality (no matter what complaints you may have about Geoff Johns and his portrayal of some characters) that it deserves.

Besides Batman (Grant Morrison), Green Lantern (Geoff Johns) and arguably Flash (who hasn't really gotten that great reception, even if the sales were there), the DCU has been in a terrible state. Superman was in a terrible state. Wonder Woman was in a terrible state. The Teen Titans and Jsa franchises were in a terrible state.

If handled right, this is just what the DCU needs, imo.

Galan007
That is utterly ridiculous. If I wanted to read about teenage characters, I'd start buying Teen Titans. Imo, if DC wants to start boosting sales, they need to start writing better stories... Don't revamp the entire friggin' company just to cater to younger/brand new readers.

srsly

JakeTheBank

Philosophía
Originally posted by Galan007
If I wanted to read about teenage characters They never said that. Clark/Bruce are by now, in their mid thirties at least. They'll likely make them year 3-4 Superman/Batman and Justice League, which is good.

Q99
I like that I follow indy books more than DC ones.

Though as I don't currently like a lot of the DC books, this may end up suiting me.

BruceSkywalker
just do not affect batman or their titles otherwise i will buy

JakeTheBank
So we're probably going to have Pre-COIE, Post-COIE, Post-Infinite Crisis, and now, Post-Flashpoint canon to sort out? To say nothing of the multiverse, which could possibly be altered or done away with altogether. I just feel that they could have very easily done what they want to do through the Earth-1 graphic novels, which was the whole point of them being introduced: DC's iconic characters set in a "contemporary" and easy accessible format for new readers or people who have had next to no exposure to the characters until now.

They really don't need to reboot the entire universe when it's just far easier to pen better stories that will engage readers. Hell, they could just make a pseudo-"ultimate DC" line of books if they were that concerned about getting new readers on board with "fresh" takes on their characters.

Galan007

JakeTheBank
I hope to God this only just feels like Heroes Reborn.

ares834

Prep-Man
I like this news. DC needs this.

kevdude
Yeah hope this works out for them! Maybe Barbara will come back as Batgirl now!

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by kevdude
Yeah hope this works out for them! Maybe Barbara will come back as Batgirl now!

With all due respect, I feel that Babs as Oracle offered a great deal more to the Bat mythos and DCU as a whole than she did as Batgirl. She's also one of the most prominent disabled characters in comics and to my knowledge one of the few disabled women at that.

kevdude
With all due respect, I feel that Babs as Oracle offered a great deal more to the Bat mythos and DCU as a whole than she did as Batgirl. She's also one of the most prominent disabled characters in comics and to my knowledge one of the few disabled women at that.

Ah yes, I can see that side. She offers a lot as Oracle. smokin'

Digi
Frankly, it's been a couple years since the entire multiverse has been rebooted. Clearly DC is due for this long-needed change.

no expression

Prep-Man
We don't know the full details, so it could or could not be the entire multiverse.

Badabing

Prep-Man
Infinite Crisis wasn't a true reboot, right? It looks like they are completely rebooting the characters, unlike IC.

Dum Dum Dugan

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Infinite Crisis wasn't a true reboot, right? It looks like they are completely rebooting the characters, unlike IC.

Infinite Crisis changed quite a bit, specifically events concerning the Trinity. Which Geoff Johns also helmed.

The guy is almost single handedly retconning the DCU.

Prep-Man
Infinite Crisis changed quite a bit, specifically events concerning the Trinity. Which Geoff Johns also helmed.

The guy is single handedly retconning the DCU.

But it didn't change the origins or anything, right? Don't remember. This looks like it will change everything, not just certain things. Making it a much bigger reboot/change.

JakeTheBank
But it didn't change the origins or anything, right? Don't remember. This looks like it will change everything, not just certain things. Making it a much bigger reboot/change.

Yes, it effected their origins somewhat. Superman was retconned into have being active in Smallville as Superboy and teaming up with the LoSH during his early years, which was later revised somewhat in Superman: Secret Origin. Batman was retconned into Joe Chill having been caught. And Wonder Woman was retconned into being a founding member of the JLA once more shortly after she left Themyscira.

And Geoff's had his role in changing the GL/Flash mythos as well. I like the guy, but this is too much, imo.

Prep-Man
I have no problem with it as long as it tells good stories. I have had a blast with the current Flash series and Green Lantern epics. Overall, those are small things. This "change" looks like a wider UNIVERSE type thing, which is why all the titles are going to be renumbered to #1.

I just want good stories. I'm also psyched for the Lee/Johns JLA. Should be good.

srankmissingnin
We've been glossing over the most important fact of this announcement, Day and Date digital release for each of the 52 new series. That could be a game changer.

Anyway, this has been a long time coming and from a purely logistic stand point was needed. Blame Robin (all of them). Writers keep aging them or introducing knew ones, without releasing that every time they do, they essentially age the entire DC U. If you crunch the numbers, Batman is pushing 40... and that's too old.

Jim Lee and Johns on JLA sounds good, but if I know Jim Lee - which unfortunately I do - we will get two issues eight months apart, no word on the series for two years, then an other relaunch with someone who can actually meat a deadline.

Prep-Man
it sounds like this has been planned out for a long time so i am not too worried about time issues. plus lee has delivered on time when he wants to.

-Pr-
I've been saying Johns was doing this so he could write the JLA for a while now, but I'm not that happy about it.

Looks like I'll be dropping what few comics I read as it is...

God dammit.

JakeTheBank
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32566

Details involving the new titles and who's on them.

Also a bigger image of the JLA:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1306888402.jpg

Hurray for Cyborg getting a massive push, I guess...

ares834
SUPERMAN WRITTEN BT GRANT MORRISON MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!!!

quanchi112
This is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. The upper brass at dc seems to resort to rebooting too often. I am so glad marvel has never done anything like this.

BlackZero30x
so if this fails and dc goes belly up who do you guys think would buy the rights to these characters?

Endless Mike
I really don't like the idea of throwing away such huge masses of continuity. Even recently it seemed like DC was acknowledging a lot of Pre-COIE stuff as canon.

Prep-Man
cyborg = yes! im glad hes getting that push. love the costume designs.

ares834
Agreed. I love all the costume designs.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
so if this fails and dc goes belly up who do you guys think would buy the rights to these characters?

DC would revert back to the status quo before that happened. Time Warner won't let DC die like that.

ares834
Just noticed that SUperman lost his undies... Strange.

Edit: And what's up with the "V necks"? Even WW has one...

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Endless Mike
I really don't like the idea of throwing away such huge masses of continuity. Even recently it seemed like DC was acknowledging a lot of Pre-COIE stuff as canon.

Me either.

DC has a reputation of confusing canon as if and a habit of using events as the means to change what isn't working for them as a quick fix. Why not just make a JLA team in the current DCU canon using the Big 7 + Cyborg? Why not just, oh, I don't know, write better stories instead of just erasing what you think "today's" audience doesn't like in favor for what they do like.

In fact, this whole notion of "today's" comic book reader doesn't even make sense. DC acts like there's this percentage of readers out there who complains about not having characters relatable to them and wanting real world parallels and contempory takes on icons, when, to me, today's comic book reader is the guy whose been supporting his LCS for years on end and has been the lifeblood of the company for years and will be "tomorrow's" comic book reader provided you don't do something really stupid.

Why alienate a large group of readers in favor for some demographic that I for one am not sure even exists and if it does, not to the point that DC is trying to claim? Hell, aren't I today's comic book reader, too? I really see no reason why this couldn't have been set as a multiverse side line of books.

Prep-Man
morrison is going to write superman?

ares834
Hmmm... Don't see a ring on Green Lantern's hand.

-Pr-
Originally posted by quanchi112
This is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. The upper brass at dc seems to resort to rebooting too often. I am so glad marvel has never done anything like this.

Heroes Reborn?

JakeTheBank
Not to mention Marvel renumbers titles all the time.

srankmissingnin
What we need to keep in mind is that comics are a niche market. 75 thousand issues of a title sold a month will net you the top book in most months when a major character doesn't have a new number 1... and that isn't all that much. I hate to say it but we don't matter, more people buy vinyl records than buy comics. This is for the millions of people with I-Pads who might have an interest in reading Batman or Superman stories, but have no clue where to start. This is a fresh start. Plus with a month of 52 new #1 titles for all there main characters DC is going to destroy the sales charts.

I just hope origins of Hawkman aren't a convoluted mess this time around.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by -Pr-
Heroes Reborn?

That was only the Avengers and F4 though, everything else was running same as normal.

quanchi112
Heroes Reborn? I don't see it as exactly the same thing.

-Pr-
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
That was only the Avengers and F4 though, everything else was running same as normal.

It was still a major shift.

The X-Books (for the most part) always had their own little universe anyways.

Omega Vision
Heroes Reborn?
And OMD/BND, for Spidey's 'verse' anyway.

kevdude
Well here is the letter DC Comic's gave to the retailers.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-comics-revamp-retailer-letter-110531.html

And Bleeding Cools roundup of events today, with a Tweet from Jim Lee.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/jim-lee-i-wont-fk-this-up-plus-your-handy-dc-comics-reboot-roundup/

Badabing
I'm still hoping this is a gimmick and DC will use this "new start" as a way to incorporate a new universe, ala Ultimates.

ares834
Tom Brevoort on the reboot...

laughing

-Pr-
If Batman is younger, then no Dick Grayson as Batman. Robin or Nightwing, then. Me like.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
And OMD/BND, for Spidey's 'verse' anyway.

Yup.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by kevdude
Well here is the letter DC Comic's gave to the retailers.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-comics-revamp-retailer-letter-110531.html

And Bleeding Cools roundup of events today, with a Tweet from Jim Lee.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/jim-lee-i-wont-fk-this-up-plus-your-handy-dc-comics-reboot-roundup/

A lot of that stuff has me interested. JLA, Dark, and new GL team with all the emotional spectrum. Sounds cool.

srankmissingnin
Get ready for all your favorite lesser known DC characters to be rebooted into homosexual minorities. cool

Bentley
Sadly, if OMD serves as an example, a continuity reboot may actually lead to better stories. The truth is, many writers are lousy poor handling continuity and they're fixed in a certain portrayal of the characters -Geoff and Morrison both strike me as Silver Age fans-, which actually matters when they write. So... Maybe good news?

quanchi112
Originally posted by ares834
Tom Brevoort on the reboot...

laughing That's gold, jerry.

JakeTheBank
Lol @ Brevoort being a jerk, per usual. laughing

I guess all the people who ship WW/Superman will be happy as they're supposed to be "together" or some shit.

-Pr-
Lol @ Brevoort being a jerk, per usual. laughing

I guess all the people who ship WW/Superman will be happy as they're supposed to be "together" or some shit.

?

JakeTheBank
?

Yeah, one of the links mentioned Superman/WW being an item or some such.

Prep-Man
Does this mean Supes will have two wives?

And hurray for some mystery/horror generes as well.

JakeTheBank
If anything, this will be a younger Clark - and DCU - so he won't be married to Lois.

Bentley
Superman is too good for Diana, as stupid as it sounds.

-Pr-
Yeah, one of the links mentioned Superman/WW being an item or some such.

'bout f*cking time.

JakeTheBank
I'm going to get shit for this, but...

I like Lois/Clark, lol. When writers give a damn, they can write a good, strong, Lois that doesn't come off as some kind of trick all the time.

Martian_mind
Hmmm, the JLA picture leads me to believe Jonn is being cut out of the JLA's big 7 in favour of a dirty nig...Cyborg.

So, where should I start my trail of slaughter and despair?

JakeTheBank
For all we know, they could possibly kill off J'onn or not even introduce him, period.

Prep-Man
Or they can introduce him later! They already announced that there will be more team members. Even some new character from Flashpoint. You guys need to stop overreacting.

BTW, is anyone interested in the Edge books? I'm betting Secret 7, Swamp Thing, Constantine, and or Frankenstein.

Philosophía
Originally posted by ares834
SUPERMAN WRITTEN BT GRANT MORRISON MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!!! *masturbates furiously*

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110525171519/glee/images/8/8b/SIMON-COWELL-HAPPY-GIF.gif

Full Justice League pic:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1306888402.jpg

Scythe
Not pictured: Green Lantern's freakin' ring....

~The Wickerman~
I am totally behind DC on this move. thumb up

-Pr-
I'm going to get shit for this, but...

I like Lois/Clark, lol. When writers give a damn, they can write a good, strong, Lois that doesn't come off as some kind of trick all the time.

and that's fine. they just don't do it often enough, so f*ck them.

AlmightyKfish
So this'll be the what, fourth reboot for the Legion since the mid 1990's?

Eh, while Morrison on Superman will likely be good, and Johns will probably improve JLA, you'd think it would be easier for them to just hire writers who can write good stories rather than reboot every title...

I mean, all the development Morrison has done with Batman will just be gone? Eh it seems like someone has looked at the DCU and decided because a renumbering/restructuring of JLA/Supes will work, it's best to do it to every title, rather than just hiring decent writers.

Also I bet freaking Barry will be the Flash on the JLA and Wally will be sidelined, simple because it's Johns writing. Which is massively lame.

starlock
From my point of view this whole deal is a desperate act. No amount of spin for any positives, which there are of course, nothing changes the fact that DC has to keep upending everything over and over.

Q99
Originally posted by starlock
From my point of view this whole deal is a desperate act. No amount of spin for any positives, which there are of course, nothing changes the fact that DC has to keep upending everything over and over.

They really haven't in a long time, but... yea, this still smells like a desperation move.

They shouldn't be desperate enough to try it I would think but apparently the current people in charge don't have a better idea of what to do.

I disagree with that reason, but I also don't think they work well together as an item. There's not much to link them other than "they're both super-powerful," and also you don't want either of them playing second fiddle to the other for a variety of thematic reasons.

Finally, when they're together in Elseworlds, it's usually really boring.

Their friend chemistry surpasses their romance chemistry by far.

Philosophía
Kurt Busiek described it accurately.

I'm willing to see before I judge, but I think that the JLA, Superman and Batman (the first two being two titles that were in dire need of quality) are in a very good place.

basilisk
Sounds dumb.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Scythe
Not pictured: Green Lantern's freakin' ring....

after you said that i looked and you are correct. that's very worry some to me. he better still have a ring.

Galan007
Morrison writing Superman: you know that's going to be good.

Still doesn't justify 'youthing' the entire company just for the lulz... But at least I'll have a light at the end of a very dark tunnel. /shrug

Bentley
Originally posted by Q99
I disagree with that reason, but I also don't think they work well together as an item.

I'm just saying Kal my be the only character in comics from this side of Jesse Custer who is actually capable of "true love", Diana has not that much relationship value.

Newjak
Sounds like it could be a good idea with some good stories.

I unfortunately have not been able to follow comics like I used to over the past 3-4 months. Still I've heard from people I'm not gonna say a majority but from people I respect that in general the story telling has been worse and getting worse.

So it doesn't matter how good of an idea you have it depends on your ability to execute it. If they don't take care of the real problem which is story telling then it doesn't matter what you're gonna do.

Of course this is just from what I've heard and could be completely wrong.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Bentley
I'm just saying Kal my be the only character in comics from this side of Jesse Custer who is actually capable of "true love", Diana has not that much relationship value.

I honestly disagree. I think Diana is pretty capable herself (even moreso than Lois), and that they'd be a good couple. Even if they got their own book, the Superman Batman book paved the way for it with some heavy bromance.

-Pr-
And I just realised that Superman's costume change is most likely down to the lawsuits that are threatening to take away the rights to the costume...

Badabing
I was told that this DC stunt may be more of starting over at #1, like FF, Hulk and Thor did the past few years, than an actual entire reboot. I was told that continuity may not be much affected.

Galan007
I hope to God that's the case, but I've heard differently.

RE: Blaxican
And I just realised that Superman's costume change is most likely down to the lawsuits that are threatening to take away the rights to the costume... Hadn't heard about this. Care to extrapolate?

Badabing
I hope to God that's the case, but I've heard differently. Me too. I would hate the past 20+ years to be meaningless in DC continuity...or worse yet, they make all the characters these new age, I'm okay, you're okay, metro Nancy pants heroes. sneer

Galan007
Originally posted by Badabing
or worse yet, they make all the characters these new age, I'm okay, you're okay, metro Nancy pants heroes. sneer Yeah, I just don't want to see any Twilight-esque crap.

Jebus, I still don't know why DC couldn't just use existing characters/continuity, and retool them here and there as needed..? It seems like youthing all of the characters across the board, and turning back the dials of continuity by several years, is complete overkill. Make the changes you need to, and leave everything else alone.

Stoopid writers. sly

Prep-Man
If things were to always stay the same, the industry would be dead. By starting over (some characters), creates a fresh atmosphere. It seems with the new creators/books, DC is doing just that. This will give DC a chance to bring in new blood.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Badabing
I was told that this DC stunt may be more of starting over at #1, like FF, Hulk and Thor did the past few years, than an actual entire reboot. I was told that continuity may not be much affected.

That's not what the official press release suggests.

Spire
DC/Time Warner: We are rebooting the DC Universe!

Spire: Hahaha... really?

DC/Time Warner: Yeah! So now people like carver9 will totally buy our books!

Spire: They don't care.

DC/Time Warner: Well... we still have our fanbase!

Spire: Yeah, not interested.

DC/Time Warner: Hmm... I guess we should have fired everyone and hired editors and creators that actually understand the characters they are being payed to write and edit instead of handing our properties over to hotshit writers that shit out shitty stories.

Spire: thumb up

Zack Fair
I'm going to miss Conner sad

Scythe
after you said that i looked and you are correct. that's very worry some to me. he better still have a ring.

Right? He kinda needs to have it.

Galan007
^ Unless he gets revamped into the new Ion. Just saying... ermmnone

quanchi112
If things were to always stay the same, the industry would be dead. By starting over (some characters), creates a fresh atmosphere. It seems with the new creators/books, DC is doing just that. This will give DC a chance to bring in new blood. You don't reboot everything though is the point. it's a slap in the face to those who currently have invested time and money into the dcu for the past 20 years.

You can still have newer books in a separate universe while having the mainstay ne universe.

I personally don't want to see a younger Superman, Batman and to forget all of the events of recent years such as sc, blackest night, etc. to appease a more generalized audience.

I know opinions vary but I absolutely cannot stand this idea and creating great stories will always attract fans not starting things over again.

Existere
Well... I'm excited.

Existere
You don't reboot everything though is the point. it's a slap in the face to those who currently have invested time and money into the dcu for the past 20 years.

You can still have newer books in a separate universe while having the mainstay ne universe.

I personally don't want to see a younger Superman, Batman and to forget all of the events of recent years such as sc, blackest night, etc. to appease a more generalized audience.
I don't see how rebooting continuity from this point forward detracts from already created stories. You reference sinestro corps, blackest night, etc. Those stories already exist, they're not going anywhere.

People criticize DC for the constant reboots, but I see it as a good thing. I feel like it helps keep the industry fresh. Comics, moreso than almost any other medium, get bogged down under their own weight. It's not a good thing for a company when they deter new customers by the sheer amount of volume they have. Fresh universe, fresh ideas, etc.

I loved the Ultimate universe. Had they capped of Marvel 616, and created the Ultimate universe as a reboot, it would have been even better (or, realistically, maybe worse as Bendis would have replaced Millar, etc. but when Morrison is paving the way, no worries on that front).

Prep-Man
you guys didnt read priests green lantern. lantern priest didnt need a ring. it was kinda the next step in lantern evolution iirc. and he was one of the most powerful lanterns.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Existere
I don't see how rebooting continuity from this point forward detracts from already created stories. You reference sinestro corps, blackest night, etc. Those stories already exist, they're not going anywhere.

People criticize DC for the constant reboots, but I see it as a good thing. I feel like it helps keep the industry fresh. Comics, moreso than almost any other medium, get bogged down under their own weight. It's not a good thing for a company when they deter new customers by the sheer amount of volume they have. Fresh universe, fresh ideas, etc.

I loved the Ultimate universe. Had they capped of Marvel 616, and created the Ultimate universe as a reboot, it would have been even better (or, realistically, maybe worse as Bendis would have replaced Millar, etc. but when Morrison is paving the way, no worries on that front). They do still exist granted but I want these same characters to experience new threats and to expand on the immense dcu. I don't like remake movies either. It's just one more way for a company to milk a franchise without being creative on their own.

I just don't like starting over. The new mk was a reboot so to speak but everything that had happened in the past still occurred. They thought of an interesting way to still have these events in continuity while at the same time redoing the beginning.

I also am not even a big fan of devil may cry but they are also redoing dante. I just can't stand starting over it's almost like the creative minds are saying we give up, we know it's a profitable franchise/character so let's start over and milk it for all it's worth.

I see what you are saying but I'm a sucker continuity and building not scrapping things every twenty or so years in an entirely new direction.

I know my opinion is just my own but I have a feeling this will generally appeal to more casual fans than hardcore comic fans anyways.

Prep-Man
They need to reboot many of their characters. Too confusing for the readers. A Hawkman relauch is what he needs.

Prep-Man
Yes!! According to Bleeding Cool, Wildstorm will be integrated in the DCU. And a possible Grifter series! Woot!

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/prepman005/bg.gif

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/...nch-wildstorm/

srankmissingnin
Yes!! According to Bleeding Cool, Wildstorm will be integrated in the DCU. And a possible Grifter series! Woot!

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/prepman005/bg.gif

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/...nch-wildstorm/

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! eek!

I was already on board, but now I'm super on board. Although... as a Grifter fanboy if he gets tooled by Batman there is going to be a nerdrage so powerful that it will consume the entire internet, then the world.

Prep-Man
Yippeee! Grifter is gonna own Batman hard!

srankmissingnin
Yippeee! Grifter is gonna own Batman hard!

He should, brothers take it to Backlash in h2h even without his tp/tk.

Prep-Man
If they do get intergrated, Joker, Luthor, and the rest of gang will be dead in a day or so. Majestic steals Lois as well.

srankmissingnin
If they do get intergrated, Joker, Luthor, and the rest of gang will be dead in a day or so. Majestic steals Lois as well.

Dude I'm excited, that is an huge influx of heroes with different ideologies than 99.9% of DC heroes, but I am worried about Majestic becoming obsolete in a universe that also has Superman. Can't wait for a Deathstroke / Team 7 interaction or Slade vs Midnighter. /drool

Prep-Man
Dude I'm excited, that is an huge influx of heroes with different ideologies than 99.9% of DC heroes, but I am worried about Majestic becoming obsolete in a universe that also has Superman. Can't wait for a Deathstroke / Team 7 interaction or Slade vs Midnighter. /drool

Or a Suicide Squad/Authority. big grin

-Pr-
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Hadn't heard about this. Care to extrapolate?

http://mobile.syfy.com/infomo?site=syfy&view=blastrstoriesdetails&feed:a=stories&feed:c=blastr_stories&feed:i=29.80813

You don't reboot everything though is the point. it's a slap in the face to those who currently have invested time and money into the dcu for the past 20 years.

I know opinions vary but I absolutely cannot stand this idea and creating great stories will always attract fans not starting things over again.

according to what i've read, blackest night still happened, or is going to be included somehow...

Existere
They do still exist granted but I want these same characters to experience new threats and to expand on the immense dcu. I don't like remake movies either. It's just one more way for a company to milk a franchise without being creative on their own.

I just don't like starting over. The new mk was a reboot so to speak but everything that had happened in the past still occurred. They thought of an interesting way to still have these events in continuity while at the same time redoing the beginning.

I also am not even a big fan of devil may cry but they are also redoing dante. I just can't stand starting over it's almost like the creative minds are saying we give up, we know it's a profitable franchise/character so let's start over and milk it for all it's worth.

I see what you are saying but I'm a sucker continuity and building not scrapping things every twenty or so years in an entirely new direction.

I know my opinion is just my own but I have a feeling this will generally appeal to more casual fans than hardcore comic fans anyways. Well I think you should consider the idea that this move actually opens doors for creativity, giving rough character concepts but total freedom to mold the details and remake classic designs. Look at the Ultimate universe.

There's only so many directions you can take characters that have been developed over thirty years without undoing much previous work and cheapening the characters themselves.

BlackZero30x
http://mobile.syfy.com/infomo?site=syfy&view=blastrstoriesdetails&feed:a=stories&feed:c=blastr_stories&feed:i=29.80813

according to what i've read, blackest night still happened, or is going to be included somehow...

it's still going on in flashpoint right now. So yea i don't think it's gonna go away even with the reboot.

quanchi112
Well I think you should consider the idea that this move actually opens doors for creativity, giving rough character concepts but total freedom to mold the details and remake classic designs. Look at the Ultimate universe.

There's only so many directions you can take characters that have been developed over thirty years without undoing much previous work and cheapening the characters themselves. I say do this separately while at the same time continue on with the main universe.

according to what i've read, blackest night still happened, or is going to be included somehow... I hope so and as long as they do some mortal kombat explanation it won't be as bad if it all happened somehow yet they have to start over at some point in the past.

I just hate wiping the slate clean so to speak and starting over.

-Pr-
I say do this separately while at the same time continue on with the main universe.

I hope so and as long as they do some mortal kombat explanation it won't be as bad if it all happened somehow yet they have to start over at some point in the past.

I just hate wiping the slate clean so to speak and starting over.

You need to get over the Mortal Kombat thing. Seriously. erm

ares834
Look at his username... Quan Chi.

Scythe
^ Unless he gets revamped into the new Ion. Just saying... ermmnone

That's what I was thinkin' but I doubt they'll get rid of all the other lanterns.

quanchi112
You need to get over the Mortal Kombat thing. Seriously. erm That's a cool way of rebooting while at the same time saying hey everything still counts from the previous ones.

-Pr-
That's a cool way of rebooting while at the same time saying hey everything still counts from the previous ones.

Except that it wasn't. You know that. Your denial won't change things.

Besides, it's off topic anyway.

quanchi112
Except that it wasn't. You know that. Your denial won't change things.

Besides, it's off topic anyway. I'll drop it since it is off topic but I am right.

Let's just leave it at I think this is a huge mistake for the dcu and we will see if I am right or wrong.

ares834
I'll drop it since it is off topic but I am right.

laughing out loud

Way to be the big man Quan.

-Pr-
I'll drop it since it is off topic but I am right.

Let's just leave it at I think this is a huge mistake for the dcu and we will see if I am right or wrong.

If you think it's going to fail, then it's bound to succeed. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

AlmightyKfish
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32598

Gives some detail on a few creative teams and a bit of information about some continuity changes for these books.

srankmissingnin
Either Bruce is on the JLA and Justice League International, or Batman Inc still happened in this continuity and there are multiple Batmen.

Galan007
You reference sinestro corps, blackest night, etc. Those stories already exist, they're not going anywhere. In the literal sense, yes, they absolutely exist. However, if DC is turning the dials back to the first few years of the heroes' careers, then the stories you mentioned technically wouldn't have happened yet, and therefore, wouldn't be part of the revamped continuity. Technically. (Though I'm sure they'll find ways to work bits and pieces of it in somehow.)

At any rate, if the bulk of existing continuity IS ignored when Flashpoint is all said and done, it would be a horrible decision on DC's part. I'd be all for them starting an Ultimate universe/Elseworlds sort of thing, in which the stories they tell take place in some universe within the multiverse, but still apart from the mainstream universe (with interactions, and/or large-scale events between the universes occurring here and there.) Imo, that would keep things fresh, AND appeal to a newer genre of readers, without having to retool mainstream continuity across the board. /shrug

-Pr-
Either Bruce is on the JLA and Justice League International, or Batman Inc still happened in this continuity and there are multiple Batmen.

Wouldn't be the first time Bruce had his hand in two pies, so i wouldn't be surprised if it was just him.

BruceSkywalker

it would be nice if there are multiple batmen

Philosophía
Multiple Batmen is a terrible ideea, imo.

In fact, this reboot should be used for exactly that, stop having 2 Batmen, 2 Robins, the 3rd Batgirl, 4 Earth Green Lanterns, 2 main Flashes (Wally/Barry) then Jay Garrick, two kids from Wally and Bart etc.

srankmissingnin

Philosophía
Don't worry, you'll get your Dick.

Just in another package.

srankmissingnin

Prep-Man

Spire
Well this makes me feel a little bit better... I guess. The part at the bottom.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/06/02/dc-announces-justice-league-printdigital-combo-pack/

Black bolt z
That is utterly ridiculous. If I wanted to read about teenage characters, I'd start buying Teen Titans. Imo, if DC wants to start boosting sales, they need to start writing better stories... Don't revamp the entire friggin' company just to cater to younger/brand new readers.

srsly This.

And its not like anything DC does will get kids today to start reading actual comics to the point where they see any change in sales.

Prep-Man
So far I'm digging the new costumes. The new series looks interesting.

Prep-Man
Looks like Captain Atom will finally explore his powers and Aaron Lopresti on a book. Awesome.

BlackZero30x
I really don't think it will be a reset in the way they advertise. Imo it will simply be DC's version of the "Ultimate" Universe. why else would they keep saying 52 issues will change? I mean it's one heck of a coincidence they chose 52.

Spire
Nu Firestorm looks lol.

IMO of course.

Existere
Originally posted by Black bolt z
This.

And its not like anything DC does will get kids today to start reading actual comics to the point where they see any change in sales. lolwut.

DC's in the middle of planning all these movies, games and related multimedia. Starting a fresh line of comics is exactly the right move to allow the interest garnered from those endeavors to bleed into comics. Tons more people buy comics now that its becoming less and less of a niche market.

'kids today'. Aren't you like 14?

Galan007
Originally posted by Spire
Nu Firestorm looks lol.

IMO of course.

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj364/galanphotobook/newfirestorm.jpg

I don't mind Ronnie and Jason's separate costumes too much, but the amalgam in the middle looks absolutely ridiculous.

BlackZero30x
it feels like there might be more to it though...notice how only two circles on his chest have a symbol which were the symbols of the 2 separate firestorms

BruceSkywalker
http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj364/galanphotobook/newfirestorm.jpg

I don't mind Ronnie and Jason's separate costumes too much, but the amalgam in the middle looks absolutely ridiculous.

i like it...

it feels like there might be more to it though...notice how only two circles on his chest have a symbol which were the symbols of the 2 separate firestorms

IMO, i think both ronnie and jason are two different firestorms, but merge into one composite form

Sanford.
Wouldn't be the first time Bruce had his hand in two pies, so i wouldn't be surprised if it was just him.

ha.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Spire
Well this makes me feel a little bit better... I guess. The part at the bottom.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/06/02/dc-announces-justice-league-printdigital-combo-pack/

Interesting.

Originally posted by Sanford.
ha.

Nice to see someone got it.

psycho gundam
That is utterly ridiculous. If I wanted to read about teenage characters, I'd start buying Teen Titans lol

speaking of the titans, how old will they be, 8 year olds?

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Hmmm, the JLA picture leads me to believe Jonn is being cut out of the JLA's big 7 in favour of a dirty nig...Cyborg.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2n1c32f.gif

Bentley
I wonder if this will be some kind of sliding time-line Sentry style retcon -making some events we already saw happen (Sinestro corps, Blackest night), or if it will be more New Continuity stuff.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by psycho gundam
http://i53.tinypic.com/2n1c32f.gif

LOL!

Bentley
Hey, if Wildstorm its incorporated into the DC universe, Hawksmoor leads the Outsiders, yes?

-Pr-

Galan007
Originally posted by Bentley
Hey, if Wildstorm its incorporated into the DC universe, Hawksmoor leads the Outsiders, yes? Wildstorm characters being involved in mainstream DC continuity (and vice versa) isn't exactly a new concept - so I'm not sure why DC is acting like it's some cutting edge idea..?

...But as much as I'm against this reboot, it would be orgasm-inducing to see some of the characters from Planetary pop up in mainstream DC here and there. droolio

JakeTheBank
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/pr1983/8ec1ce53eee0dd6b66bfbd8e5a4173bdfebec4ac.jpg

lmao

-Pr-
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g2WpTcj0-ArmzEJH-f6Z-_WL7Beg?docId=bdff3b7a22a64a7eb95ec09d2c62c86e

GL will somehow pick up after the current run?

Why do I get the feeling that we're going to the the whole "individual universes" thing?

JakeTheBank
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g2WpTcj0-ArmzEJH-f6Z-_WL7Beg?docId=bdff3b7a22a64a7eb95ec09d2c62c86e

GL will somehow pick up after the current run?

Why do I get the feeling that we're going to the the whole "individual universes" thing?

I'm confused as well. It seems like they're going to pick and choose what gets retconned/reformatted to "newer readers" and what doesn't. Logically, it would make sense to keep GL virtually the same canon wise as the Green Lantern books have consistently been DC's best selling books for the last who knows how many years. Conversely, Superman, whose title has been floundering to straight up bad these few years looks like he's getting rehauled significantly as is Wonder Woman.

Or, kinda like in COIE, the Green Lantern Corps/Guardians could be uninfected by the massive history shift due to Flashpoint or something.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>