Saints Row: The Third

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phanteros
Strap it on holiday 2011

l49PAHigCHg

funny debut trailer

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/03/31/saints-row-the-third-debut-trailer.aspx

Kazenji
Can't watch it

Says its private.

Phanteros
Then here's this

csTf2Z7xlQ0

Phanteros
btQwBVBblvc

demo

Kazenji
Rockstar needs to take notice of these Saints Row games if they want GTA to be fun again.

jinXed by JaNx
I completely agree. GTA4 definitely had style depth and appeal but it always felt tedious. Eluding the police went from a fun feature to a painstaking chore. This isn't fun when all you want to do is get to your next location or objective. The driving physics were also far to finnicky for me. They were well done and all but what happened to being able take corners at a 100mph? That type of fun and thrill was gone. The driving felt borderline simulation for me. My biggest complaint however comes with the missions themselves. Not their structure or game play requirements but rather how they were presented. It always felt like the developers didn't want me to play the missions, what with a lack of checkpoint or simple retry system. That goddamn cell phone was the most annoying piece of shit. With all this said i did appreciate GTA 4. However, Kazenji is right, the sense of fun felt as though it was forgotten in development. Instead we were treated to a realistic GTA.

KingD19
I wanna be able to beat a man to death with a giant dildo, then call in an airstrike on a group of grandmas. That's down home ole fashioned fun right there

Phanteros
6dnzz1z_ZQI

Nephthys
nZp0w42Zlkk&feature=related

laughing

dadudemon
Originally posted by Nephthys
nZp0w42Zlkk&feature=related

laughing

I tried not to laugh but I couldn't help it.

Also, I have a giant boner for this game. no expression

Phanteros
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3625-Saints-Row-The-Third-Steelport

being a a total douchebag has never being so much fun.

Kazenji
is there anything new in that vid, i've seen the start of it twice now.

Phanteros
edit nothing really new just a different commentary.

Phanteros
61952qw2VP4

Kazenji
Uh......what was that?

Nephthys
A Super Kawai thing.

Kazenji
Uber Platnium Pack

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-8988-Saints-Row--The-Third-s-Uber-Platinum-Pack-Revealed.html

Kazenji
Developer commentary, Lead writer Steve Jaros breaks down every Easter egg tucked into in the now-notorious Power trailer

http://www.giantbomb.com/saints-row-the-third-power-trailer-with-developer-commentary/17-4548/

Kazenji
JyrMuKs_HOU

Kazenji
e6_hLxbZtes

Digi
I lol'd a bunch in this thread. Good times.

socool8520
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I completely agree. GTA4 definitely had style depth and appeal but it always felt tedious. Eluding the police went from a fun feature to a painstaking chore. This isn't fun when all you want to do is get to your next location or objective. The driving physics were also far to finnicky for me. They were well done and all but what happened to being able take corners at a 100mph? That type of fun and thrill was gone. The driving felt borderline simulation for me. My biggest complaint however comes with the missions themselves. Not their structure or game play requirements but rather how they were presented. It always felt like the developers didn't want me to play the missions, what with a lack of checkpoint or simple retry system. That goddamn cell phone was the most annoying piece of shit. With all this said i did appreciate GTA 4. However, Kazenji is right, the sense of fun felt as though it was forgotten in development. Instead we were treated to a realistic GTA.

My thoughts exactly. I recently played Saint Row 2 again and remembered what it was like to be able to do pretty much anything again. I personally hated the driving mechanics in GTA 4. The only car that had any kind of handling was a sports car (the high end ones). I think that these types of games should not take themselves seriously, and that is where Saints Row shines. It will be just pure chaotic fun.

socool8520
Originally posted by Digi
I lol'd a bunch in this thread. Good times.

That's how the game will be too big grin

Digi
I tried to play a GTA game, I forget which one (3 or 4). Got bored, and "sandbox" aspects were lacking. This seems better.

-Pr-
I really liked GTA 4, personally. That said, that freefall trailer sold me on this game, and i'm definitely going to be picking it up.

socool8520
Originally posted by -Pr-
I really liked GTA 4, personally. That said, that freefall trailer sold me on this game, and i'm definitely going to be picking it up.

I liked, but it just seemed a little too serious, and there is no way I'm trying to be serious in a game like this. That's where I think Saint's Row has it right by still making it outlandish and over the top. I'm very excited for this game. Should be alot of fun. Something to wind down from the shooters I'll be playing like MW3/Battlefield 3

socool8520
I tried to play a GTA game, I forget which one (3 or 4). Got bored, and "sandbox" aspects were lacking. This seems better.

Was it more modern? If it was then it was 4. The earlier titles were much more outlandish.

cdtm
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

Wow, and I thought San Andreas was bad because of the 15 minute drives across city just to restart a mission..

Makes me glad I didn't pick the latest one up.

socool8520
Originally posted by cdtm
Wow, and I thought San Andreas was bad because of the 15 minute drives across city just to restart a mission..

Makes me glad I didn't pick the latest one up.

To GTA4's credit, you could fast travel in a taxi for a small fee if you wanted.

Kazenji
That taxi ride can also be free when using your brothers taxi rank.

socool8520
Ahhhh.....forgot about that. Good catch.

Phanteros
oygbT3fZn4s

Love the Bane references.

-Pr-
Originally posted by socool8520
I liked, but it just seemed a little too serious, and there is no way I'm trying to be serious in a game like this. That's where I think Saint's Row has it right by still making it outlandish and over the top. I'm very excited for this game. Should be alot of fun. Something to wind down from the shooters I'll be playing like MW3/Battlefield 3

I honestly liked that they tried to go for a more "serious" outlook on it. It suited the mechanics of the game too, which for me were excellent in terms of physics and the like.

KingD19
GTA does what it does well. A well rounded sandbox with good story and gameplay. Because it's serious doesn't make it bad, just makes it serious.

Same can be said for all the Saints. A well rounded sandbox with over the top(but still good) story and good gameplay, but it's over the top and just fun.

They're both different parts of the same genre, and both those parts are good. Can't wait for Saints 3rd and GTA 5 when it finally comes out.

-Pr-
Originally posted by KingD19
GTA does what it does well. A well rounded sandbox with good story and gameplay. Because it's serious doesn't make it bad, just makes it serious.

Same can be said for all the Saints. A well rounded sandbox with over the top(but still good) story and good gameplay, but it's over the top and just fun.

They're both different parts of the same genre, and both those parts are good. Can't wait for Saints 3rd and GTA 5 when it finally comes out.

Same here.

Any news on how character creation is this time around?

Barker

This.

And Just Cause 3.

Zack Fair
Never played Saints Row 2, but the I had a blast with the first one.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Barker
This.

And Just Cause 3.

yes please. Just Cause 2 was awesome. One of my favourite games of the last few years.

Barker
yes please. Just Cause 2 was awesome. One of my favourite games of the last few years.
Same.

I'm hoping for some multiplayer next time around though.

KingD19
Same here.

Any news on how character creation is this time around?

The level of customization is near that of some MMO's like Champions Online and DC Universe Online from what I've heard.

I haven't seen anything yet, but with as much upgrading as they did to the game as a whole, I believe they'll take customization just as far, if not further. You can probably even adjust the size of Boss's package, lol.

Nemesis X
Things just got all Lost and Damned in Saints Row. I was looking at screenshots of SR3 on Xbox Live and saw the protagonist completely naked. Worst part is that it was the male version messed. Thankfully the screenshot was censored but whether it'll be censored in the game or not is currently unknown.

socool8520

Agreed. It provided hours and hours of fun and the mechanics were excellent. Didn't know they were already onto a third one though. I definitely keep this on the radar now.

socool8520
I honestly liked that they tried to go for a more "serious" outlook on it. It suited the mechanics of the game too, which for me were excellent in terms of physics and the like.

I honestly hated the driving mechanics. The cover system was alot better though, I'll admit. i'm just not that the seriousness in a game like this. I'll still pick up GTA 5 when it comes out, although I hope they bring into a more earlier GTA experience.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Barker
Same.

I'm hoping for some multiplayer next time around though.

That would be flat out crazy. I hope they fix the driving though. I didn't mind choppers and planes, but cars... yeesh.

The level of customization is near that of some MMO's like Champions Online and DC Universe Online from what I've heard.

I haven't seen anything yet, but with as much upgrading as they did to the game as a whole, I believe they'll take customization just as far, if not further. You can probably even adjust the size of Boss's package, lol.

Sounds good lol.

Agreed. It provided hours and hours of fun and the mechanics were excellent. Didn't know they were already onto a third one though. I definitely keep this on the radar now.

i didn't either. they'd be fools not to, though.

I honestly hated the driving mechanics. The cover system was alot better though, I'll admit. i'm just not that the seriousness in a game like this. I'll still pick up GTA 5 when it comes out, although I hope they bring into a more earlier GTA experience.

i actually liked the driving for the most part lol.

i dunno, tbh. i think when you have saints row and just cause that are as over the top as can be, you need a more serious game to offset it and offer a different option.

i'd like both to offer something different, though I suppose it comes down to personal preference.

One thing I want from GTA 5 though: Character creation.

socool8520
That would be flat out crazy. I hope they fix the driving though. I didn't mind choppers and planes, but cars... yeesh.

i didn't either. they'd be fools not to, though.

i actually liked the driving for the most part lol.

i dunno, tbh. i think when you have saints row and just cause that are as over the top as can be, you need a more serious game to offset it and offer a different option.

One thing I want from GTA 5 though: Character creation.

We must have a big difference in driving mechanics preferences lol. I actually preferred the Saint's Row 2 driving mechanics over GTA 4.

I didn't know if Just Cause 2 sold well though. I could see where they wouldn't want to make another if the game didn't sell well, kinda like how it took so long to come out with another Darkness game due to the lack of sales of the first one. JC 2 was pretty awesome though and felt like a true sandbox game from the get go.

I see your point with having one game to offset the extreme of the other, it's just puts me off slightly ,obviously not enough to deter me from playing as I still liked GTA 4.

Agree 100% on the character customization. Don't know why that haven't done that yet. The only game where character customization would have been bad was GTA 4 since it was kind of set on your player being a foreigner, but even then you could have cutomized the face a little.

-Pr-
We must have a big difference in driving mechanics preferences lol. I actually preferred the Saint's Row 2 driving mechanics over GTA 4.

I didn't know if Just Cause 2 sold well though. I could see where they wouldn't want to make another if the game didn't sell well, kinda like how it took so long to come out with another Darkness game due to the lack of sales of the first one. JC 2 was pretty awesome though and felt like a true sandbox game from the get go.

I see your point with having one game to offset the extreme of the other, it's just puts me off slightly ,obviously not enough to deter me from playing as I still liked GTA 4.

Agree 100% on the character customization. Don't know why that haven't done that yet. The only game where character customization would have been bad was GTA 4 since it was kind of set on your player being a foreigner, but even then you could have cutomized the face a little.

i was speaking about Just Cause 2, sorry. I played only a couple of hours worth of Saints Row 2.

I heard the sales were good, so I'm optimistic. The game was a definite sleeper hit though.

Understandable.

Yeah. GTA has always been very story driven, which is why I guess they don't want to let you make your own, but still, I don't see why we can't have different missions depending on your type of character/loyalties etc.

socool8520
i was speaking about Just Cause 2, sorry. I played only a couple of hours worth of Saints Row 2.

I heard the sales were good, so I'm optimistic. The game was a definite sleeper hit though.

Yeah. GTA has always been very story driven, which is why I guess they don't want to let you make your own, but still, I don't see why we can't have different missions depending on your type of character/loyalties etc.

Oh, ok big grin I see your point then. i don't remember JC 2's handling being that bad either but I can see what you mean.

Yeah, I think everyone was wary of Square Enix or something, but the game was definitely worth the money. I'm probably gonna play through again after I complete the game 100%.

I agree. Honestly character customization should be a given at this stage in gaming. Given it can be a nameless game like GTA. Obviously it won't work with Uncharted or something.

Kazenji
Saints Row the Third's Sci-Fi Surprises

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1194817p1.html

dadudemon
Tron...

TRON?

WTF.

I guess they want to throw in everything that nerds find fun. lol

They should really create a true sandbox: the ability for gamers to build their own missions/maps. They sort of introduced that in inFamous 2...which I found fun.

Kazenji
nkDR0zCjjQw

Phanteros
EU8VOXyOo6M

Hover bikes and rainbow rocket luancher.

-Pr-
...want.

Phanteros
ciV1zD_3j7I

Kazenji
elbjv2Sz1hg

lol at the Modern Warfare 3 parody

that floating airship at 1.00 reminds me of a S.H.I.E.L..D. helicarrier.

Bladewind
Really looking forward to this game. I just love "that punk kid". Deckers are definetly my favourite gang out of the whole series. ^^

Here's their dev video (love the skaters at 1:36):

2lo4uEcUYaU

Phanteros
JOYr4ArVLf0

Game should be renamed Batshit Insane.

Smasandian
I recently played the second one during the summer/spring and I enjoyed it.

Probably going to get the game when it gets around half price if it's good.

Digi
This game's problem is timing. If it was coming out in April I'd probably get it. The holiday gaming juggernaut means it's not even on my radar.

-Pr-
It's now on the mid to low end of the list that's in my head atm. it could be a contender still, especially with no GTA...

Digi
I'm not going to have time to play the games I know I'm getting. And your admission, though less severe, is more a evidence of my point. They picked a bad time.

Kazenji
I'm not going to have time to play the games I know I'm getting. And your admission, though less severe, is more a evidence of my point. They picked a bad time.

Well yeah i suppose a bad time for you

but it all comes down to what other games that are coming out and what actually interest's you

for next month Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 i can wait for it to get cheaper, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim not really interested.

-Pr-

Indeed they did. I can see myself giving it a shot when christmas passes and i'm bored as hell, but before then? Arkham City, Modern Warfare 3, even Uncharted 3 (and i've not played the other two), Battlefield 3, Skyrim... Even Colonial Marines isn't far off.

Smasandian
Considering this game will probably be around 50 hours of gameplay (if you do a lot of the secondary stuff, which is probably where all the fun is), this screams of a Summer game.

I think games should release more in the summer. A good, quality game can still do really well.

Digi
Originally posted by Kazenji
Well yeah i suppose a bad time for you

but it all comes down to what other games that are coming out and what actually interest's you

for next month Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 i can wait for it to get cheaper, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim not really interested.

I'm talking in general. This holiday is getting blitzed with games. How much A-list coverage is being paid to Saints Row, compared to the other big franchises? How much mroe exposure would they receive without that competition?

Smasandian
Yeah, I haven't really seen a lot of coverage for it.

It's not just MW3, or Skyrim, it's Gears 3, Forza 4, Batman, BF3, Uncharted 3, Assassins Creed Revelations, Zelda.

Every week there is a triple A title coming out and it's usually a sequel to a huge franchise.

Kazenji
I'm talking in general. This holiday is getting blitzed with games. How much A-list coverage is being paid to Saints Row, compared to the other big franchises? How much mroe exposure would they receive without that competition?

But they have to be careful with exposure, Too much of it and it could be a let down for some people.

Digi
But they have to be careful with exposure, Too much of it and it could be a let down for some people.

You think they're better off releasing around the holiday? Because this argument is true regardless of when they release the game. If your game isn't good enough, it's a letdown to some. But more exposure usually just means that more will be aware of it.

Really, some games are covered more than others, but outside of Duke and Daikatana, has a game ever provably suffered from pre-release exposure?

Kazenji
ggFS6QePabM&oref

Bladewind
I think Professor Genki's craziness is starting to grow on me... stick out tongue

Kazenji
Theres a demo to try out now on Xbox live, The Initiation Station

the demo enables you to create, share and download your own outlandish characters for use in Saints Row: The Third,

fkg-eE0sygk#!

KingD19
Despite the massive number of A-List games coming out, Saint's Row still has the potential to do well for several reasons.

A big one of those reasons is how outrageously insane the game is. Every game coming out is fun in it's own way, but none of them are just fun. Saints is known for doing over the top stuff and the series as a whole has always just been tons of fun. For example, you could spend hours doing sidequests on Skyrim, and you could spend hours driving around, running people over, sticking them with 20 semtex bombs and launching them into the sky, or launching them with the man cannon in Third. Of the two, Skyrim would probably leave you more satisfied with it's sheer scope, but Saints is just damn fun.

S_D_J
Theres a demo to try out now on Xbox live, The Initiation Station

the demo enables you to create, share and download your own outlandish characters for use in Saints Row: The Third,

fkg-eE0sygk#!

so the demo it's just a creation tool?

no gameplay whatsoever?

I'm wasting bandwidth then no expression

Nemesis X
I agree. This demo is lame. Was looking forward to the gameplay but instead, I can only play around with the customization.

Volition, you suck.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nemesis X
I agree. This demo is lame. Was looking forward to the gameplay but instead, I can only play around with the customization.

Volition, you suck.

Your fault for not reading up on it then.

Kazenji
Fm5XAfuHsuA

dadudemon
Fm5XAfuHsuA

"BURT ****ING REYNOLDS?"

laughing

Awesome.

Kazenji
U5O9x7aL7QE#!

Kazenji
Looks like it might cross the line for some people this game

just hearing about theres some violence against women and also a mission where your on a ship with prostitutes in shipping containers where you save them and after thats done can either make money off them or sell them back and also on some containers fisting machines.

Bladewind
Yeah, I can already see the politicians preparing their speeches. wink

Kazenji
Saints Row 4 is Already On the Cards and It'll Be "Wilder"

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-10073-Saints-Row-4-is-Already-On-the-Cards-and-It-ll-Be--Wilder-.html

socool8520
Can't wait for this game to come out. I will have to take a break from Skyrim to have fun with this game the way I used to have fun with GTA (pre GTA 4). I loved the second one and this one looks alot more fun. I wonder if they'll have a midnight opening for this game at Gamestop. They did for MW3 and they will Skyrim. I'm gonna be on leave for the next two and half weeks and will have all day to play this game.

Kazenji
So yeah the game is out

i just done the Genki items from the preorder, I like the Octopus Cannon the best.... i've also read that theres also a season pass for this game for the single player DLC.

Phanteros
A 4th game has been confirmed.

Kazenji
Oh Rly?.....

by the way i posted something about it on page 4.

the ninjak
I loved the first game but hated the 2nd.

I don't have much faith.

Kazenji
What did'nt you like about the second game?

S_D_J
So...

People who bought this for PS3 get SR2 for free... nice deal

Kazenji
9-NT3S7BxsA

Nemesis X
XHB0CQ3uPj4

Joe is a cruel man to his friends.

No story for each gang? Weak.

Phanteros
Originally posted by Nemesis X
XHB0CQ3uPj4

Joe is a cruel man to his friends.

No story for each gang? Weak. Love how he ignores the fact Coop is been massively improved, or that the PC port is a actually PC port and not console to pc port. SR2 was balls on the PC yet I find the problems with SR2 are nonexistant in SR3. as for the consoles looking bad he has yet to play the PC version. Overall the game just simply runs waaay better that SR2. As for him Bitching about the lack of mission and it being padding most of the missions SR2 revolved around you just shooting up the gang while in SR3 the later missions felt like actually set pieces. I will admit the way the story went was not ok as some of the characters got ****ed up big time, IE. Gat and his death treatment, Or reconning Shaundi and Pierce into a whiney ***** ala Ligntning 2.0, but these are just aesthics.

Kazenji
Its a good game....But yeah the flow of the story is'nt quite as good as the one from the second game

i do like how you can just open up your phone to start the missions and then drive there unlike with SR 1 & 2 drive all the way there just to start them and the activities don't need to do 6 lvls to complete it

and that dildo sword i have'nt even used it erm

jinXed by JaNx
had a lot of fun with saints 2. I played it quite a bit. I dont know what it is but after the first few hours ive become absolutely bored with saints 3.

Kazenji
I'm also finding the activities waaaaaaay too easy.

Kazenji
Zero Punctuation's review

http://www.dorkly.com/embed/28669/zero-punctuation-saints-row-the-third

Kazenji
DLC is already on the disc

someones already found Genki Island

HNkVQrwxx8I

jinXed by JaNx
I'm also finding the activities waaaaaaay too easy.

Yeah the activities were definitely harder in the second. Most of them almost required a co-op partner. They were just more fun in two as well.

Smasandian
The activities were harder in the first.

I found the activities and diversions lacking the third but I found the excellent missions made up for it.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian
The activities were harder in the first.

They were'nt that hard

alot harder in the second game because some of them requiring co-op to complete them just to make it easier, Especally them Heli-assault ones

i hope the DLC for this third game is good the stuff that they brought out for number 2 was a bit meh.

Smasandian
Yeah, I meant the second game, not the first.

I thought Saints Row 3 was a great game. A lot of fun. Took my by surprise.

Kazenji
siBhtWd0cq4#!

socool8520
Originally posted by Smasandian
Yeah, I meant the second game, not the first.

I thought Saints Row 3 was a great game. A lot of fun. Took my by surprise.

After playing 2, I felt they had a good handle on the game they were trying to make. Just good outlandish fun. I look the addition of upgradeable stats. It really created a noticeable difference in the gameplay.

Kazenji
The 3rd street saints??

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/02/12/212161_ntnews.html

Jmanghan
In a bizarre twist, Saints Row: The Third, and NOT IV (The undoubtedly better one), is coming to the switch.

Really? I'd take 2 and IV over The Third any day. :/

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-is-getting-saints-row-the-third-an/1100-6461304/

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.