Christopher Nolan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Aim at it!
Does anyone else think Christopher Nolan's movies are hard to understand?

Bardock42
No, not really.

I suppose you could say Memento and Inception need a little bit of thought to follow, but I wouldn't say they are hard to understand really. Perhaps a bit harder than your standard Hollywood blockbuster which have very straightforward plotlines often. But not as hard as say Primer.

siriuswriter
I don't find his films difficult to follow at all.

I do agree that his films are very thought provoking, and that more than one answer can be fit to. For example, I watched "The Prestige" with my best friend and we talked about for about an hour to make sure our theories were straight, and then watched it again.

I didn't find Inception or Memento challenging. I find more challenging plots much more entertaining, which is why Nolan is one of my favorite directors/writers.

Impediment
I still haven't seen Inception.

siriuswriter
You really should.

jaden101
Like...really REALLY.

Bardock42
It's pretty good.

OH GOD I DIDN'T PUT SPOILERS!!!!

jaden101
Originally posted by Bardock42

OH GOD I DIDN'T PUT SPOILERS!!!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__ZsbFGImLfQ/TJEGKgkeEBI/AAAAAAAABPI/Q3iIRr9Ovj8/s1600/omg.jpg

YOU'VE RUINED EVERYTHIIIIIIINNNGGG!!!!

siriuswriter
ETA.

BruceSkywalker
who is christopher nolan??? i don't think i have seen anything by him

siriuswriter
Um... Batman Begins and The Dark Knight? I'm pretty sure you've seen those, "Bruce"Skywalker.

Bardock42
I think he's making what us professionals call a "joke".

siriuswriter
Really?

Damn, my sense of sarcasm eeks away when I go on the Internet.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think he's making what us professionals call a "joke".

Originally posted by siriuswriter
Um... Batman Begins and The Dark Knight? I'm pretty sure you've seen those, "Bruce"Skywalker.

yeah im having some fun...

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Aim at it!
Does anyone else think Christopher Nolan's movies are hard to understand?

a couple or so are hard,thank god he was claer in his Batman movies though.

Wolfie
I like all his films except the Batman ones.

I've never had a problem understanding his movies. I suppose Memento and Inception both needed a second viewing for added clarity, but they were understandable the first time.

jaden101
Anyone who struggles with Nolan's movies should stay away from films like Mulholland drive or Primer because it's likely they'll die watching them.

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment
I still haven't seen Inception.

You should watch it while the wife gives you a blumpkin and after a rusty trombone.

Do this, when they enter the 3rd level of the dream-sequence, that's her cue to cease the blumpkin and commence with the rusty trombone.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Robtard
You should watch it while the wife gives you a blumpkin and after a rusty trombone.

Do this, when they enter the 3rd level of the dream-sequence, that's her cue to cease the blumpkin and commence with the rusty trombone.

Can I borrow your wife for movie night at my place? big grin

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Wolfie
I like all his films except the Batman ones.

I've never had a problem understanding his movies. I suppose Memento and Inception both needed a second viewing for added clarity, but they were understandable the first time.

the batman films are easily by far the best and blow his other films away by miles.my last message should say- He was clear in those films just to clear up the confusion.typo error.

jaden101
Originally posted by Mr Parker
the batman films are easily by far the best and blow his other films away by miles.my last message should say- He was clear in those films just to clear up the confusion.typo error.

He was clear in Inception, Memento and the Prestige and they're all vastly superior in terms of plot, characterization, acting and every other category than either of the Batman movies he's done. Just because some people are incapable of following anything more than a basic straightforward boring linear story doesn't mean they aren't clear.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by jaden101
Just because some people are incapable of following anything more than a basic straightforward boring linear story doesn't mean they aren't clear.

Agree.

But at the same time I felt Inception was very much overrated.
When you break it down to its barest form all you really have is a car chase, a hotel lobby scene & a James Bondesque gunfight in the snow.

Everything else is just an overdrawn storyline to tie in the sequences mentioned above.

I know Nolan's films like to leave the audience guessing on "what's right or wrong or what really did happen..." but some times the audience really is left guessing on Nolan's ability to direct & edit his own films.

Nephthys
erm

dadudemon
Originally posted by Esau Cairn

Honestly, I think most people on KMC point out the problems they have with his films despite liking him. He's certainly a kick *ss director/writer. There's no doubt about that. Is he perfect? NOPE!

There's only two films of his that I rate a 9: both of his Batman films. Inception was only an 8 for me. It could have been better and I was disappointed with some things (I made lots of posts about it). Most of my complaints were the same complaints other's had.

KMC is a bit better about hating or finding something to hate than most other places. Sure, there's fanboys here...but there's always a group of people that hate on something which keeps it "real." This is one of the reasons I stick around. smile

jaden101

When you break it down to its barest form all you really have is a car chase, a hotel lobby scene & a James Bondesque gunfight in the snow.

Everything else is just an overdrawn storyline to tie in the sequences mentioned above.

If that's what you're going into a film like Inception looking for then it's no wonder you come away disappointed because those scenes and even the plot of trying to plant the idea into the guy's brain and all that entails are all secondary to the fact that the film's power is in Cobb's history with Mal and his reasons for doing what he's doing.

It's like saying The Prestige was about some magic tricks rather than obsession, jealousy and rivalry.

Bardock42
I think Memento was his best film, and Insomnia his worst...though still pretty good.

I think I'd order them like this:

Memento
Inception
BB
TDK
The Prestige
Insomnia

Though Inception BB and TDK are pretty equal to me, they latter two have the added bonus of being about Batman. And I have not seen his earlier work

siriuswriter
I almost forgot about Insomnia being his.

Which is why I agree with you, Bardock. The thing I remember being very cool about Insomnia was that it was like a reverse "Strangers on a Train," which I thought was an awesome concept. So, sparks of ingenious.

Igon Flombaigne
I'd place them in the following order:

The Prestige
Memento
Following
Inception
The Dark Knight
Insomnia
Batman Begins

Following is one of the most under acknowledged films ever imo and one of his very best.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by jaden101
If that's what you're going into a film like Inception looking for then it's no wonder you come away disappointed because those scenes and even the plot of trying to plant the idea into the guy's brain and all that entails are all secondary to the fact that the film's power is in Cobb's history with Mal and his reasons for doing what he's doing.

It's like saying The Prestige was about some magic tricks rather than obsession, jealousy and rivalry.

Yes, I was disappointed in Inception. I actually fell asleep 3/4 into the film on big screen then gave it a 2nd chance on blu-ray before I cast an opinion.

I understand it's more of a corporate, espionage thriller rather then a fantasy take on dreams.

I guess I wanted more surrealism & only got Nolan's choice of exotic locations instead.

I would've enjoyed Inception better in the directorial hands of say, Burton, Del Torro & especially Gilliam.

And The Prestige was simply a superb film on every level. Truly enjoyable.

siriuswriter
I finally watched "Following" today - oh my god.

No words, just happy feelings. big grin

jaden101

I understand it's more of a corporate, espionage thriller rather then a fantasy take on dreams.

That's just the mechanism around what the actual point of the film is built and not the main point of the film itself. What Cobb does for a living and his motivations for doing it are what drives the plot. That's even explicitly stated in the film. His emotional state and his reliance on the dream world is also key un the film. This is why the film does with him being reunited with his children and the now infamous spinning totum. The whole corporate espionage is just the
means for him to achieve this rather than the driving force of the plot.

You're looking at this film like you would a Michael Bay film, all surface action and no characterization. transformers actually is just big shiny robots fighting. The unlikely love story is just superfluous. Inception isn't like that. while it's plot mechanism of the dream world is executed, in my opinion, almost flawlessly, it's not the main point of the film.

Igon Flombaigne
Originally posted by siriuswriter
I finally watched "Following" today - oh my god.

No words, just happy feelings. big grin

big grin big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.