Teleporting or Flying?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
If you could do one of these, ONLY ONE (dadudemon), which would you choose and why?

If you choose teleporting, you would be able to teleport like Nightcrawler from "X Men 2" and the jumpers from "Jumper."

If you choose flying, you would be able to fly like Superman and Hancock, except not in space.

These would be your only powers, nothing else.

That ACDC Chick
flying

Rogue Jedi
Teleporting. You can gain access to more places and it's faster.

That ACDC Chick
but it most likely takes more energy and leaves you more drained limiting the number of uses in a period of time
just sayin'

Rogue Jedi
Not with the teleporters I mentioned. They never showed signs of fatigue.

Ax3l
Here we go again.

the ninjak
Flying. more satisfying and I just know that if I got Teleportin I'd get drunk and end up in a wall. SPLAT!

Lestov16
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Teleporting. You can gain access to more places and it's faster.

Mindship
If you could do one of these, ONLY ONE (dadudemon), which would you choose and why?

If you choose teleporting, you would be able to teleport like Nightcrawler from "X Men 2" and the jumpers from "Jumper."

If you choose flying, you would be able to fly like Superman and Hancock, except not in space.

These would be your only powers, nothing else. My only powers? Then I'd choose teleporting because -- in addition to being faster and granting me more place access -- my flying speed would be limited by how fast I could suck air into my lungs. I also suspect it would be tough to see with high-wind pummeling my eyeballs (though I suppose goggles would take care of that, but then, I'd always need goggles). Flying would also dishevel my hair and clothing if I had to be somewhere dressed nice.

The only drawback to teleporting is you'd miss what you otherwise could see and enjoy while flying.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Ax3l
Here we go again. Not a debate, dude, opinions only.

Impediment
Flying, if only for the exhilaration.

Teleporting would-be awesome, but I'd rather have the experience of free flying.

Thoren
I would like to teleport.

Popping in and out of a bank vault, that would be awesome, and illegal.

ADarksideJedi
I like both but if I had to choose I would pick flying because I always wanted to be able to fly to where ever I want and it saves you money by not having to put gas in your car!

Syren
Teleportation w00t

Robtard
Flying, not cos it's better, but because I know it would only be a matter of time before I grossly misused teleporting powers.

I'd likely be tempted to rob a bank and I know it would only be a matter of time until someone pissed me off enough and I rage-teleported; dropped them with the sharks.

Be harder to misuse flying and I don't have my own Uncle Ben giving me his wisdom.

Mairuzu
You're in your house and you want to go to the store for a beer but its raining outside.

**** flying. Teleportation wins.

immaturerainbow
Teleport.

Less effort.

dadudemon
Assuming I can remote view the location I want to teleport to to avoid teleporting into solid objects and killing myself....teleporting ALL the way.

I would not misuse my abilities for stealing and stuff like that. But you had better damn well believe I would teleport in someone's dressing roome...like Jessica Alba, Scarlett Johansen, etc. WHO WOULDN'T????!?!?!? laughing

Nah, I wouldn't even do that.

Flying would be okay only if I could fly in an enclosed bubble that was very durable so I could fly are very high speeds.

Teleportation, though...all the way.

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
I would not misuse my abilities

In the very least, you'd teleport to which ever kid was being a little *** on Xbox and punch him in the face.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
In the very least, you'd teleport to which ever kid was being a little *** on Xbox and punch him in the face.

This is mostly true. I'd just scare him or knock his bag of chips on the floor.

Robtard
This is mostly true. I'd just scare him or knock his bag of chips on the floor.

Na, you'd rage, pop on over, punch him in the head while yelling "Boom! Head-Shot! *****!" and then leave.

dadudemon
Na, you'd rage, pop on over, punch him in the head while yelling "Boom! Head-Shot! *****!" and then leave.

laughing

And then, I suppose, I'd tea-bag his body?

Robtard
laughing

And then, I suppose, I'd tea-bag his body?

That would be better if you had a Polaroid camera with you, leave the pic of your naked sack on his forehead taped to his chest, for when he wakes up.

Rogue Jedi
Flying, not cos it's better, but because I know it would only be a matter of time before I grossly misused teleporting powers.

I'd likely be tempted to rob a bank and I know it would only be a matter of time until someone pissed me off enough and I rage-teleported; dropped them with the sharks.

Be harder to misuse flying and I don't have my own Uncle Ben giving me his wisdom. Ah, so you have no self control.

Rogue Jedi
Now let's elaborate. What would you do with said powers? Become a hero?

Robtard
Ah, so you have no self control.

I have shit-loads of self-control, but I'm flawed like any other person and I could/would slip given the right circumstances. That's way too dangerous a power to have.

Rogue Jedi
I have shit-loads of self-control, but I'm flawed like any other person and I could/would slip given the right circumstances. That's way too dangerous a power to have. Not if I had it.

dadudemon
Now let's elaborate. What would you do with said powers? Become a hero?

Yeah. I would totally skip work. I would set up a phone at work and call it...put it on speaker, and then go home.

I would play video games, watched movies, spend time with the wife and kids... until something broke or someone called. That way, I could do whatever I wanted until needed.

I could also fix computers and servers waaaaaaaaaay faster this way. It's very hard to fix an application running in the OS on a server that, for some reason, dropped its network connection. I'd just have to teleport, reboot the server, start the application again, and test the app for function.

Currently, if I cannot tunnel in, I cannot fix it.

That's a stupid reason but it's the most direct use needed.

Robtard
Not if I had it.

You'd be one of the worst, dude.

Rogue Jedi
You'd be one of the worst, dude. Nah, I'd be good.

Robtard
Nah, I'd be good.

You'd try at first, then you'd fail.

Rogue Jedi
You'd try at first, then you'd fail. I'd get paid for my services, duder. Paid very well.

chomperx9
I would choose flying so I can travel and enjoy the view and scenery.

~Bun Bun~
Teleporting. yes

Lord Shadow Z
Flying for me, although that is at odds with my fear of heights.

With flying you can control where you are going and scope out any potential danger up ahead whereas with teleporting you could teleport into a gun battle or in front of truck. Just knowing where you want to go can't account for the dangers you might face when you get there.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Just knowing where you want to go can't account for the dangers you might face when you get there. This is why I would have designated jump sites. Safe locations where my safety is guaranteed upon arrival.

Man, the money I could make, legally, no limits.

T.M
As long as I could teleport anywhere I wanted not just to somewhere within eye-shot, I would pick teleporting.

Rogue Jedi
I'd put airlines out of business. I'd charge discount rates for teleporting people around the world, as long as they had a passport.

I'd put Fedex and UPS out of business, same thing, discount rates for delivery.

Then again, I might charge more because of the fact that I can deliver instantly.

T.M
Yep that is why teleporting = win.

Rogue Jedi
I have a sig similar to yours.

T.M
Hancock is similar to Fight Club ?

Mairuzu
Assuming he only has one sig

Robtard
I'd put airlines out of business. I'd charge discount rates for teleporting people around the world, as long as they had a passport.

Then again, I might charge more because of the fact that I can deliver instantly.

Because the government would allow that to happen?

If you came out in the open, you'd either be a guinea-pig or be constantly on the run. Take you pick.

Mairuzu
teleporters dont run you fool

Robtard
Figure of speech, fool.

Mairuzu
You know i knew

Robtard
You know I knew that you knew.

Ax3l
Here we go again

dadudemon

I'd save people about to be killed by a tornado, hurricane, erupting volcano, etc.

Assuming we can teleport stuff basd on mass rather than volume, I'd assume I could teleport a bus like Griffin did. I could teleport a crap load of people at once all the way to safety.

25-100 people at a time. I could have done a lot of good for the people in Japan.

Mairuzu
You know I knew that you knew.
i know 131

Rogue Jedi
I'd save people about to be killed by a tornado, hurricane, erupting volcano, etc.

Assuming we can teleport stuff basd on mass rather than volume, I'd assume I could teleport a bus like Griffin did. I could teleport a crap load of people at once all the way to safety.

25-100 people at a time. I could have done a lot of good for the people in Japan. thumb up

Miss Fiend
I agree that the government would be all over you if they knew you could teleport or fly. They'd figure out some loop-hole to what makes it possible to use your powers and use it to capture you. You know, Heroes, X-Men kind of stuff.

The only way you could use your powers openly is if you became a superhero like Spiderman or Superman... Then you'd need a disguise so...

I don't know, if I could teleport, I wouldn't tell anybody expect my close family and friends, Hannah Montana style. The last thing I'd want to do is reveal myself to controlling governments or put major corporations out of business by starting my own travel company, because businessmen and CEO's would band together and take you down if their company and income were threatened.

I'd still do my little robberies and just as well, good deeds, here and there. Not too often as to be noticed though. People would think they had seen a ghost once they turned around and I had disappeared. That sounds cool to me.

Grate the Vraya
For all the people who prefer flying, couldn't you just teleport foot by foot rapidly in a manner similar to flying?

the ninjak
Originally posted by Grate the Vraya
For all the people who prefer flying, couldn't you just teleport foot by foot rapidly in a manner similar to flying?

Yeah sure with the TPing you can just zip here and there but remember, one night drunk on the town you could end up TPing into a wall. Splat.

And there is something about flying and floating that would feel liberating.

Nightcrawler in the films had to TP in bursts. In the animated series he had to escape an island by TPing across an ocean around 200 meters a pop. The Jumpers could do it fast and instantly anywhere in the world with amazing accuracy. I would be paranoid that one day I would send my particles into a solid mass somewhere, or a floating newspaper or a bystander standing in the exact position you want to TP into.

Grate the Vraya
Originally posted by the ninjak
Yeah sure with the TPing you can just zip here and there but remember, one night drunk on the town you could end up TPing into a wall. Splat.

And there is something about flying and floating that would feel liberating.

Nightcrawler in the films had to TP in bursts. In the animated series he had to escape an island by TPing across an ocean around 200 meters a pop. The Jumpers could do it fast and instantly anywhere in the world with amazing accuracy. I would be paranoid that one day I would send my particles into a solid mass somewhere, or a floating newspaper or a bystander standing in the exact position you want to TP into. Well, we don't really know the difficulty level of teleportation do we? I mean it could be just as simple of thinking of a place and then going there, or something far more complicated like knowing the exact global coordinates of where you want to go, so teleporting in to a wall is a funny idea, but if we assume that teleporting is easy, it's highly unlikely that one would teleport in to a wall even when shitfaced. Anyway what I was saying was that a teleporter could simply simulate flying and perhaps experience the exhileration of flying simply by teleporting very rapidly foot by foot. I did not mean to point out the zipping from point A to point B which also makes teleportation so much more effective than flying.

Astner
Like Nightcrawler with the sulfur gas? I'd go with flying thank you very much. Besides, how awesome wouldn't it be to fly at incredibly fast and just land in town square and then just continue walking.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Astner
Like Nightcrawler with the sulfur gas? I'd go with flying thank you very much. Besides, how awesome wouldn't it be to fly at incredibly fast and just land in town square and then just continue walking.

I'd say it is more awesome to instantly teleport to said location rather than flying: saves time. smile

Additionally, you can teleport a friend along with you. Talk about a date anywhere...

If you are like the teleporters from Jumper, you can teleport large objects with you such as a city bus. I assume that to be a mass limitation meaning you could teleport a large group of people. Just ask Mr. Hefner to borrow his girlfiends and port away. smile

Flying is over-rated: it'd be hard to see without goggles. Your clothes would hurt your skin and even tear, it would take forever to fly anywhere unless you moved at speeds too quickly to keep from burning up.

Grate the Vraya
Besides all flyers, this is a power that you have every day....ever...for the rest of your life. Eventually, awesomeness takes a backseat to efficiency.

Mindship
...a teleporter could simply simulate flying and perhaps experience the exhileration of flying simply by teleporting very rapidly foot by foot. Years ago, scifi writer Larry Niven proposed an FTL vehicle with an "end-teleport drive." Ie, the ship didn't actually fly; it just kept teleporting itself to its own front end. This way it could "fly" as fast as it wanted w/o violating relativistic limits.

Anyways...another advantage with teleporting is it can be used more effectively as a defense than flying, kind of like hyperdodging, whereas with flying...you had better be faster than whatever projectile is coming after you (hope it's not heat-seeking), and that means a helluva intense acceleration, which brings in all sorts of inertia problems.

Really, the more I examine this choice, the more it seems to me that comparing TP to flying isn't fair to flying.

Astner
I'd say it is more awesome to instantly teleport to said location rather than flying: saves time. smile
What time? You're in front of the computer most of your time.

Additionally, you can teleport a friend along with you. Talk about a date anywhere...
Because there's nothing like creating a thick cloud of sulfur oxide on a date. Also I think most women would rather have me hold them in my arms as I fly across ocean.

If you are like the teleporters from Jumper, you can teleport large objects with you such as a city bus. I assume that to be a mass limitation meaning you could teleport a large group of people. Just ask Mr. Hefner to borrow his girlfiends and port away. smile
I'd rather not have Hefner's sloppy seconds.

Flying is over-rated: it'd be hard to see without goggles. Your clothes would hurt your skin and even tear, it would take forever to fly anywhere unless you moved at speeds too quickly to keep from burning up.
Who said that you'd have to fly at speeds greater than that of a motorcycle anyway?

There's a certain freedom to flight.

dadudemon
What time? You're in front of the computer most of your time.

That's a bit non sequitur of, you, isn't? I'm in front of a computer most of my waking moments because that's what I do to MAKE MY LIVING. smile

Being able to quickly move from place to place would make my job infinitely better, as well. I commented on this, already.

Because there's nothing like creating a thick cloud of sulfur oxide on a date. Also I think most women would rather have me hold them in my arms as I fly across ocean.

Obviously, that's not the case because I'd be a "jumper" teleporter. Have you seen Jumper? Yeah, no nightcrawler type stuff for me. I'd be closer, if you need something to compare it to, to Wraith.

Also, you have a naive view on how the world works especially when it comes to women. laughing Additionally, you're arms would get quite tired trying to hold them up while you flew especially because you weigh 140 lbs soaking wet. Being able to fly does not include super strength, in this thread.

I'd rather not have Hefner's sloppy seconds.

That's an example and if you actually think Heffy can get it up at 80+ or that he even has sex with any of those women, you've got to be kidding.

Also, Orihime is not real so you'll need to think of something more real.

Who said that you'd have to fly at speeds greater than that of a motorcycle anyway?

I do. But if you prefer flying for many many hours to go anywhere in the world, that's fine as well. By the time you fly your "date" to Venice and back (assuming you can even hold her for longer than a few minutes), I could have been there, to Paris, to Moscow, and back with my date.

There's a certain freedom to flight.

And that same "freedom" you have in flight is almost infinitely greater with teleportation including the sentimental reasons such as "wind through your arms" or "hair."

Bardock42
That's an example and if you actually think Heffy can get it up at 80+ or that he even has sex with any of those women, you've got to be kidding.

He does. There've been ex-girlfriends describing their time at the mansion, and it's pretty sick.

Robtard
Additionally, your arms would get quite tired trying to hold them up while you flew especially because you weigh 140 lbs soaking wet. Being able to fly does not include super strength, in this thread

Haha

Grate the Vraya
Originally posted by Mindship
Years ago, scifi writer Larry Niven proposed an FTL vehicle with an "end-teleport drive." Ie, the ship didn't actually fly; it just kept teleporting itself to its own front end. This way it could "fly" as fast as it wanted w/o violating relativistic limits. Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to describe. big grin

Insomniatric
Originally posted by the ninjak
Flying. more satisfying and I just know that if I got Teleportin I'd get drunk and end up in a wall. SPLAT!

Well, then you'd have to worry about Flying while intoxicated.

I'd choose teleporting.

I mean... what if you fly too fast and crash into something, or accidentally snap your neck? Flight doesn't make you superman.

Rogue Jedi
Wizards can do both.

King Kandy
Hmm... teleporting is more efficient, but flying is cooler! tough choice.

chomperx9
I'd Choose flying and be a Photographer, fly deep into craters and volcanos and take nice pictures. or record whats going on down there.

jinXed by JaNx
i could do so much more with teleportation

Bardock42
Wizards can do both.

You got to bring your obscene love for Harry Potter into everything?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Bardock42
You got to bring your obscene love for Harry Potter into everything? You know you like it, you big hairy man.

Lord Shadow Z

That would be quite taxing in my opinion, creating small jumps that have to be pin-point accurate to maintain the illusion of flying rather than just flying in one continuous motion. The problems I would face would of course be the weather and if I wanted to go higher some supply of oxygen and thermal gear would be helpful too.

My question for the teleporters would be; would teleportation stress or age you in any way? Because there will have to be some element of disorientation and stress to the body involved in zipping from one place to the next.

RE: Blaxican
Why?

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Why?

Because, were we to assume that teleportation would involve gathering up your particles like for example as in Star Trek then the particles could be mis-aligned slightly enough on arrival to cause some imbalances in your body. Or lets say you get distracted before you attempt a serious jump and your whole positioning is off, sending body parts going off in all directions. Pretty messy way to check out...

RE: Blaxican
Why are we assuming that it works like that? Going by the OP the teleportation works like Nightcrawler's TP and the dudes from Jumper.

Rogue Jedi
Why are we assuming that it works like that? Going by the OP the teleportation works like Nightcrawler's TP and the dudes from Jumper. thumb up

Lord Shadow Z
Why are we assuming that it works like that? Going by the OP the teleportation works like Nightcrawler's TP and the dudes from Jumper.

Well I was attempting to discuss some drawbacks to incite discussion but if thats the case so be it.

Rogue Jedi
They made it look pretty simple.

Grate the Vraya
Sure, if the rules worked like that, I can see how that would cause some drawbacks. Honestly, it completely depends on the rule set. srug. We could also assume that every time the flyers fly, it causes them to throw up or it causes their fingernails to fall off or some shit. Without assumed drawbacks though, TP is definitely the preferable power in my opinion.

chomperx9
do you agree to the people who voted Teleporting, are more likely to be impatient ?

Rogue Jedi
Nope. Porting is far more efficient.

Grate the Vraya
I think I finally came up with something that flying has the TP doesn't. You discover a lot of shit that you've never seen before. It's one of the same reasons that people prefer biking to driving. If you're a teleporter, I doubt that you can teleport to a place you don't know about, right? Flying would allow you to see everything on the route there. I still think the advantages to TP outweigh this by a long shot, but I thought that flying at least needed ONE advantage.

ADarksideJedi
Yea flying would be better!But it would not be faster.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
He does. There've been ex-girlfriends describing their time at the mansion, and it's pretty sick.

He doesn't and it's just for "show" and entertainment. I'm not kidding.

Mindship
I think I finally came up with something that flying has the TP doesn't. You discover a lot of shit that you've never seen before. It's one of the same reasons that people prefer biking to driving. If you're a teleporter, I doubt that you can teleport to a place you don't know about, right? Flying would allow you to see everything on the route there. I still think the advantages to TP outweigh this by a long shot, but I thought that flying at least needed ONE advantage. Yeah. In a manner of speaking, with flying there's the journey; with TP, there are only destinations.

BackFire
If it's just short range teleporting, I'd choose flying. If I could teleport to anywhere on the planet instantly regardless of distance, I'd choose teleporting.

Robtard
Backfire would teleport his head up another person's ass. He's that guy.

I'm Gay
Backfire would teleport his head up another person's ass. He's that guy.

Sounds like a sexyful guy! I'm gay by the way...

Robtard
Originally posted by I'm Gay
Sounds like a sexyful guy! I'm gay by the way...

Backfire is the sexiest guy in KMC, an eleven.

How gay? Do you still bang the occasional girl on the side so you're not all-the-way-gay, or are you balls-deep-in-men-gay?

I'm Gay
Backfire is the sexiest guy in KMC, an eleven.

How gay? Do you still bang the occasional girl on the side so you're not all-the-way-gay, or are you balls-deep-in-men-gay?

I'm this gay

Rogue Jedi
Ahahaha gay sockie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.