350 times Earth Gravity

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Can these people survive 350 times Earths gravity for at least an hour? Please don't bring up space flight or the gravity of the sun because its pretty obvious that writers don't think of that. Example, KC Superman can survive in the sun but Starman increased his weight a hundred folds and temporarily dropped him.

The contestants are:

Spiderman
Wolverine
Luke Cage
Thing
Colossus
Thor (no hammer)
Superman
Surfer

They are warned before it happens.

Mindset vote doesn't matter.

Mindset
Vegeta.

carver9
Changes made above.

Mindset
Whoever Carver votes for, I agree with.

carver9
Originally posted by Mindset
Whoever Carver votes for, I agree with.

Ironfist and Kyle turns to puddy.

Mindset
It's a shame my vote doesn't matter. smile

JakeTheBank
Doom survives without his armor.

As does Black Adam without the Power of Shazam.

carver9
It's a shame my vote doesn't matter. smile

laughing out loud

illadelph12
Well, Surfer can survive the gravity well of black holes due to his design (he's designed to be able to cope with all of the dangers he may encounter in faster than light space travel, which makes him exceedingly durable), so he shouldn't have any issues.

Superman is likely ok as well.

Not sure how Thor's physiology would hold out from the strain as though he is an Asgardian he's also still flesh and blood. Not sure how his body would react to the strain. Even pumping blood would be a struggle.

I actually think Colossus would be fine given his organic metal make-up and the way his metabolism and organs change in his metallic form. He should be able to support his own weight even with the added gravity.

And before some simpleton rushes in here saying "Delph thinks Colossus is stronger than Thor", no, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Colossus's physical make-up when in his armored form (fully metallic, no fatigue toxins, etc.) should make the strain easier to manage for his body than it would Thor's physical make-up.

JakeTheBank
^ Delph thinks Colossus is stronger than Thor. durlaugh

D-Block
Thor,Surfer,Superman, and Colossus

Newjak
Originally posted by illadelph12
Well, Surfer can survive the gravity well of black holes due to his design (he's designed to be able to cope with all of the dangers he may encounter in faster than light space travel, which makes him exceedingly durable), so he shouldn't have any issues.

Not sure how Thor's physiology would hold out from the strain as though he is an Asgardian he's also still flesh and blood. Not sure how his body would react to the strain. Even pumping blood would be a struggle.

I actually think Colossus would be fine given his organic metal make-up and the way his metabolism and organs change in his metallic form. He should be able to support his own weight even with the added gravity.

And before some simpleton rushes in here saying "Delph thinks Colossus is stronger than Thor", no, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Colossus's physical make-up when in his armored form (fully metallic, no fatigue toxins, etc.) should make the strain easier to manage for his body than it would Thor's physical make-up. Thor can survive in space without aid of a space suit, and can travel faster than the speed of light travel so is physical body can already take extreme measures that most people would agree flesh and blood creatures shouldn't be able to take.

So I don't the think the increased gravity will matter.

Although I see where you are coming from.

Other than that I agree with the rest.

h1a8
Originally posted by carver9
Can these people survive 350 times Earths gravity for at least an hour? Please don't bring up space flight or the gravity of the sun because its pretty obvious that writers don't think of that. Example, KC Superman can survive in the sun but Starman increased his weight a hundred folds and temporarily dropped him.

The contestants are:

Spiderman
Wolverine
Luke Cage
Thing
Colossus
Thor (no hammer)
Superman
Surfer

Mindset vote doesn't matter.

350 times 170lb (Spidey's weight) yields 29.75 tons. Im sure Spidey at his best can survive this for an hour (especially if he laid down and spread the weight out).

Superman, Surfer, Colossus, Thor, and Thing are no brainers as the max force they would have to endure is 87.5 tons (based off Colossus and Thing's weight).

Luke Cage would be in some trouble. He weights 425lb so would have to endure a max force of 74.375 tons for an hour. The only way for him to survive is lie flat on the ground so that his weight is more evenly distributed.

Wolverine's outside tissue would be crushed but his adamantium skeleton would protect his vital organs so that he will survive.

The toughest challenge though is for Spidey then Luke Cage 2nd. Spidey's only chance is to lie flat to distribute the 30 tons all around his body.

Mindset
Originally posted by h1a8
350 times 170lb (Spidey's weight) yields 29.75 tons. Im sure Spidey at his best can survive this for an hour (especially if he laid down and spread the weight out).

Superman, Surfer, Colossus, Thor, and Thing are no brainers as the max force they would have to endure is 87.5 tons (based off Colossus and Thing's weight).

Luke Cage would be in some trouble. He weights 425lb so would have to endure a max force of 74.375 tons for an hour. The only way for him to survive is lie flat on the ground so that his weight is more evenly distributed.

Wolverine's outside tissue would be crushed but his adamantium skeleton would protect his vital organs so that he will survive.

The toughest challenge though is for Spidey then Luke Cage 2nd. Spidey's only chance is to lie flat to distribute the 30 tons all around his body. How would adamantium protect his organs?

h1a8
How would adamantium protect his organs?
Wait! you got a point.
The liver weighs about 3lb and would be increased to 1050lbs. I'm pretty sure the connective tissues would tear or the entire liver would be crushed under this force. So Logan, Spidey, and Luke Cage dies. Maybe Thing also dies (depending on how durable his insides are). Is colossus solid metal inside as well as outside?

OneDumbG0
Is colossus solid metal inside as well as outside? Solid metal, except for when some doofball is writing it.

rotiart

The toughest challenge though is for Spidey then Luke Cage 2nd. Spidey's only chance is to lie flat to distribute the 30 tons all around his body.

Since Hia8 is applying his math again... Whatever he says. I disagree with... Even if the majority of you rapscallions agree with him! eek!

Astner
There's more to gravity than just being heavy.

A increase in gravity would affect internal fluids, -organs and -enzymes. The reason for why pilots pass out under forces of 10 G is because the blood can't reach the brain under said pressure.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Superman, Thor and Surfer are the only sure ones as they've survived intense gravitational forces.

Lord_Talron

The toughest challenge though is for Spidey then Luke Cage 2nd. Spidey's only chance is to lie flat to distribute the 30 tons all around his body. Originally posted by h1a8
Wait! you got a point.
The liver weighs about 3lb and would be increased to 1050lbs. I'm pretty sure the connective tissues would tear or the entire liver would be crushed under this force. So Logan, Spidey, and Luke Cage dies. Maybe Thing also dies (depending on how durable his insides are). Is colossus solid metal inside as well as outside?

this is actually well thought out and stuff. i agree

Black bolt z
Vegeta. It was 300x not 350x. So its probably not related.

Probably the last 4.

Cogito

The problem wouldn't be the weight, but that all their blood would pool in their legs (assuming standing position) and their brains would suffocate from lack of oxygen. Now, a heart strong enough to overcome this would certainly help.

Spidey and Luke would probably die, I don't know that they have it in them. Wolverine stupidly recovers from anything so he's fine. Do Thing and Collossus even have blood? Either way they're probably ok, Superman and company are obviously ok too

Mindset
Originally posted by Black bolt z
It was 300x not 350x. So its probably not related.

Probably the last 4. He went up to 450 noob.

Rage.Of.Olympus
And that was before he became a Super Saiyan.

carver9

Its not just an external thing, this type of gravity also impacts you internally.. if you have organs (which all of these people do), you are screwed. You have to have some amazing showings to prove that some of these peeps can survive this amount of force. I can't recall any instances from any of them to be honest. I remember a weakened Superman being on a planet with 100 times earth gravity and it was taking its toll on him. Is there any showings similar to this from other peeps besides them flying through space at C because I don't think that counts for anything.

Rage.Of.Olympus
http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af191/lgu88/Superman/Strength/lifting/superman665a.jpg
http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af191/lgu88/Superman/Strength/lifting/superman665b.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/RageOfOlympus/Thor/WithstandsNeutronStar1.jpg
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/RageOfOlympus/Thor/WithstandsNeutronStar2.jpg

Omega Vision
Thor, Superman, Surfer, Colossus can all do it. Thing and Luke Cage idk. Wolverine and Spidey no
Originally posted by Newjak
Thor can survive in space without aid of a space suit, and can travel faster than the speed of light travel so is physical body can already take extreme measures that most people would agree flesh and blood creatures shouldn't be able to take.

So I don't the think the increased gravity will matter.

Although I see where you are coming from.

Other than that I agree with the rest.
He's also been inside of the sun, whose gravity well is much more powerful than 350 times Earth gravity. Not to mention that neutron star feat...

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af191/lgu88/Superman/Strength/lifting/superman665a.jpg
http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af191/lgu88/Superman/Strength/lifting/superman665b.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/RageOfOlympus/Thor/WithstandsNeutronStar1.jpg
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/RageOfOlympus/Thor/WithstandsNeutronStar2.jpg
Low showing much?

carver9

Ok, Superman is out of the picture. Do you think Colossus could survive?

Omega Vision
Ok, Superman is out of the picture. Do you think Colossus could survive?
Lol. There are several instances of Superman doing better than that against tougher gravity.

Btw, what happened to you supporting Gladiator in the BZ?

Newjak

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/RageOfOlympus/Thor/WithstandsNeutronStar2.jpg I'm just wondering what the point of these scans are Rage?

Even with that showing the gravity shown was stated to be like a black hole possibly. Superman struggling with that would still prove he could survive this. Plus he does have better feats.

And I would still say Superman is slightly stronger than Thor

Sr J-Bieb
Surfer has survived in the sun multiple times.
Thor has survived the sun.
Superman did with problems (due to sudden influx of power)

Surfer fought in a black hole.
Superman escaped a double black hole.

Pokemon!

dmills
That Thor neutron star gravity feat is just wrong on so many levels. Comic physics though lol.

Rage.Of.Olympus
If Nova had a feat like that, your boner would explode.
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Low showing much?
Originally posted by Newjak
I'm just wondering what the point of these scans are Rage?

Even with that showing the gravity shown was stated to be like a black hole possibly. Superman struggling with that would still prove he could survive this. Plus he does have better feats.

And I would still say Superman is slightly stronger than Thor

no expression

I wasn't trying to lowball Superman. He was able to raise himself up while being subjected to the gravitational forces of a large black hole. Earth's gravity multiplied 350 times should be nothing compared to that as far as I know.

That showing was simply the one I found quickest. If need be, I could find better feats.

If I were to give either the edge in raw strength, it would most likely be Superman. But that's if I had to choose.

Newjak

no expression

I wasn't trying to lowball Superman. He was able to raise himself up while being subjected to the gravitational forces of a large black hole. Earth's gravity multiplied 350 times should be nothing compared to that as far as I know.

That showing was simply the one I found quickest. If need be, I could find better feats.

If I were to give either the edge in raw strength, it would most likely be Superman. But that's if I had to choose. My bad, I thought you trying to do something else.

I apologize and agree with what you are saying

no expression

Badabing

The contestants are:

Spiderman
Wolverine
Luke Cage
Thing
Colossus
Thor (no hammer)
Superman
Surfer

Mindset vote doesn't matter. Spidey has survived ridiculous punishment. But 350 Gs for an hour seems a bit unlikely.

Cage, I really don't know enough about to say with certainty. I doubt he could survive just because of his hard outer skin.

Wolverine is tricky, he has survived massive amounts of damage. But I'm wondering if his healing factor would get taxed within the hour of all that gravity...

Thing and Colossus survive, but are sore for a while after.

Supes, Thor and SS have the strength and durability to fair the best, imo.

And Carver, Mindset's vote>>>>your existence! sneer

Digi
Someone correct me if my logic is flawed here, but 350 doesn't seem like much to me. A class 50 has the strength of several hundred men, shouldn't durability be roughly equal?

dmills

no expression

If I were to give either the edge in raw strength, it would most likely be Superman. But that's if I had to choose.

Not knocking the feat. It's just oozing classic cheese.

He does, so I busted that nut already smile

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by dmills
Not knocking the feat. It's just oozing classic cheese.

He does, so I busted that nut already smile

Don't be a hater.

Send me the feat. I don't trust your opinion when you have the Nova Shades on.

http://instantyeah.org/YEAH.JPG

Q99
Originally posted by Digi
Someone correct me if my logic is flawed here, but 350 doesn't seem like much to me. A class 50 has the strength of several hundred men, shouldn't durability be roughly equal?

Yea, the weight itself isn't all that bad. It's only stuff like bloodflow issues that are a concern.

Omega Vision

no expression

Oh well...

...how dare you make me feel silly. sad

And how dare you feed Carver.

carver9

Its not a lifting feat, its kind of different. You have to internally take this type of pressure as well. Its more than a outer shell thing... you have to be durable inside and out.

Omega Vision
I don't see how that really changes it much, Carv. If you're strong enough to lift 100,000 tons then it means your body (or at least your skeleton) is durable enough to support that weight.

h1a8
Thing on above maybe survive. Luke cage has a steel hard skin to act as his support base. But his insides are just human durability. Spidey's insides are more durable than a human's, but I'm not sure if they are 35 times more durable. Also, its the question of fluids cannot flow anymore and thus a character can die of lack of a certain type of fluid reaching the body.

Endless Mike
They could all survive it, Spidey and Wolvy would be flat on the floor though and Luke would have to kneel. It wouldn't even bother guys like Thor, Supes, or Surfer

EDIT: Changed my mind, Spidey might not survive it.

dmills
Don't be a hater.

http://instantyeah.org/YEAH.JPG Nothing but love for Thor.

No. That would make the thread a wee bit redundant right? Having a gravity manipulator trying to resist, you know, gravity.

I know you ain't talking lol.

Kasper Gutman
There was an early issue of Thor where he was subjected to infinite gravity smile and he overcame it to stand up and fight back.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by Kasper Gutman
There was an early issue of Thor where he was subjected to infinite gravity smile and he overcame it to stand up and fight back.

If we're thinking of the same thing, it wasn't really infinite gravity, it said it would increase his gravity infinitely, which I interpreted to mean that it would just keep increasing and not stop, so we don't know how much it was when he broke out.

dmills
Originally posted by Kasper Gutman
There was an early issue of Thor where he was subjected to infinite gravity smile and he overcame it to stand up and fight back. Now you're really hurting my mind lol.

TheLordofMurder
*shakes head in utter disguest*

Man oh man...

These writers have no respect for physics; either they are completely ignorant of how things actually work and are content to just make things up out of thin air or they simply dont give a dam...

Physical beings (Thor, Surfer, and Supes) withstanding Neutron Star (and beyond) force of gravity unharmed...

This is so ridiculous in the extreme that I cant believe that someone actually had the gall to write it; I understand that these are comics and that they are meant to be entertaining instead of realistic, but come on...

TheLordofMurder
With a Neutron Star, gravity is strong enough to completely destroy the atomic structure of any object unfortunate enough to become trapped in its gravity well and hit its surface...

With a Black Hole, gravity is so strong that it overcomes any force that passes through its Event Horizon...

But screw it; these are comicbooks afterall...

dmills
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
With a Neutron Star, gravity is strong enough to completely destroy the atomic structure of any object unfortunate enough to become trapped in its gravity well and hit its surface...

With a Black Hole, gravity is so strong that it overcomes any force that passes through its Event Horizon...

But screw it; these are comicbooks afterall... Not to mentioned that a neutron star is orders of magnitudes hotter than our sun -1,000,000 Kelvin vs about 5800. So yeah, a neutron star would indeed kill you to death.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Out of curiosity, and this is completely random and has nothing to do with anything, what's a more impressive strength feat, overcoming the force of a Neutron Star or destroying a -dead- planet?

dmills
Out of curiosity, and this is completely random and has nothing to do with anything, what's a more impressive strength feat, overcoming the force of a Neutron Star or destroying a -dead- planet? Neutron star... It's not even close.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Cool, thanks. shifty

JakeTheBank
I see what you did there. sneer

biscuits

carver9
Have a question, a random question. Which one is more impressive? Tanking a blast without even recognizing it that was capable of shedding a solar system or overcoming the force of a neutron star?

Omega Vision
Have a question, a random question. Which one is more impressive? Tanking a blast without even recognizing it that was capable of shedding a solar system or overcoming the force of a neutron star?
LMAO get yo ass over to the Glads Thor BZ or STFU

carver9
LMAO get yo ass over to the Glads Thor BZ or STFU

Lol... this has nothing to do with Glads and Thor. evil face

Omega Vision
Lol... this has nothing to do with Glads and Thor. evil face
So why didn't you show up?

We were all ready for you to prove Gladiator's superiority.

Why didn't it ever happen?

Could it be that Gladiator really isn't hot shit?

h1a8
Out of curiosity, and this is completely random and has nothing to do with anything, what's a more impressive strength feat, overcoming the force of a Neutron Star or destroying a -dead- planet?

Depends on how you destroy the planet.

Thor would only have to overcome billions if not trillions of tons to overcome a neutron star. Where it would take far more force to destroy a planet in pieces with mere punches.

carver9
So why didn't you show up?

We were all ready for you to prove Gladiator's superiority.

Why didn't it ever happen?

Could it be that Gladiator really isn't hot shit?

I didn't even know about that thread until you all told me and I asked Rage to give me a month so that I can gather my scans. Why prepare a thread before the Gladiator expert even get the chance to put together his material.

Shame on you all.

Omega Vision
I didn't even know about that thread until you all told me and I asked Rage to give me a month so that I can gather my scans. Why prepare a thread before the Gladiator expert even get the chance to put together his material.

Shame on you all.
A month?

Are you planing on writing and publishing a Gladiator comic or something?

If you really were a knowledgable fan of Glads and he really did have the showings you say he does then it wouldn't take a month...it shouldn't even take a week.

TheLordofMurder

Thor would only have to overcome billions if not trillions of tons to overcome a neutron star. Where it would take far more force to destroy a planet in pieces with mere punches.

You are severely short-changing the gravitational strength of a Neutron Star here; the planet Earth alone weighs far more than "trillions" of tons (it weighs in excess of 6 billion trillion tons)...

The Earths atmosphere alone weighs in at over 6 thousand trillion tons...

A Neutron Star would mass considerably more than our entire solar system combined and thus its gravitational field would produce a force far, far, FAR, beyond what you posted h1a8...

If Thor can overcome the force of a Neutron Star unharmed then the punches of The Hulk, Thanos, and others that are Class 100 or beyond shouldnt even register as damage to him...

More the reason that all showings of this nature by Thor or any other character is pure, unbridled, PIS...

carver9
A month?

Are you planing on writing and publishing a Gladiator comic or something?

If you really were a knowledgable fan of Glads and he really did have the showings you say he does then it wouldn't take a month...it shouldn't even take a week.

Yes, a month. I had everything saved before but I got a virus. Now I have to go through and find "all" of his showings which takes time. I can go through the BZ thread and call out everything that he has done physically but it will not help if I do not have scans.

If I wrote a Gladiator comic, the first comic would be a DC and Marvel crossover smile .

King Kandy
Originally posted by MF DELPH

And before some simpleton rushes in here saying "Delph thinks Colossus is stronger than Thor", no, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Colossus's physical make-up when in his armored form (fully metallic, no fatigue toxins, etc.) should make the strain easier to manage for his body than it would Thor's physical make-up.
So what'd your excuse for superman? He is flesh and blood (despite being "the man of steel"wink

MF DELPH
His molecular structure density which, when solar charged, is sturdier than Colossus organic steel form.

I thought that kind of went without saying.

Rage.Of.Olympus

Thor would only have to overcome billions if not trillions of tons to overcome a neutron star. Where it would take far more force to destroy a planet in pieces with mere punches. Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
You are severely short-changing the gravitational strength of a Neutron Star here; the planet Earth alone weighs far more than "trillions" of tons (it weighs in excess of 6 billion trillion tons)...

A Neutron Star would mass considerably more than our entire solar system combined and thus its gravitational field would produce a force far, far, FAR, beyond what you posted h1a8...

If Thor can overcome the force of a Neutron Star unharmed then the punches of The Hulk, Thanos, and others that are Class 100 or beyond shouldnt even register as damage to him...

More the reason that all showings of this nature by Thor or any other character is pure, unbridled, PIS...

laughing out loud

I'm gonna start PMing LOM whenever H1n8 claims anything regarding "physics" or "science".

Sr J-Bieb
laughing out loud

I'm gonna start PMing LOM whenever H1n8 claims anything regarding "physics" or "science". Curious to see how he replies to that...

Rage.Of.Olympus
Five gets you ten he'll start claiming the Neutron Star showing as being unusable to prove Thor's strength level due to PIS. He already tried claiming it wasn't legit earlier.

Badabing
Someone correct me if my logic is flawed here, but 350 doesn't seem like much to me. A class 50 has the strength of several hundred men, shouldn't durability be roughly equal? Your logic is sound, it's the comics which make things illogical.

dmills

Apples and oranges.

Mindset
Both are spherical fruits.

dmills
Both are spherical fruits.

Ok then... Cucumbers and peaches evil face

Mindset
Batdude sticks both up his pooper.

zopzop

LoM it could be hyperbole. Seeing as how if it really did attempt to crush Thor under that kinda weight, the entire planet would die too.

dmills
Originally posted by zopzop
LoM it could be hyperbole. Seeing as how if it really did attempt to crush Thor under that kinda weight, the entire planet would die too. That's what I was messing with Rage about earlier. I hope it was hyperbole.

zopzop
That's what I was messing with Rage about earlier. I hope it was hyperbole.

It HAS to be hyperbole. The gasses around Thor would compress into freaking solids under that kind of pressure. The gasses alone would entomb him in a metallic coffin. He'd plummet through the planet's crust like a rock sinking in water because of his unimaginable mass. Hell the planet itself would be torn apart if he really was under that kind of gravitational pressure.

Omega Vision
Guys comics only follow RL Science when it suits the purposes of the writer/when the writer is aware of it and doesn't need to toss it out the window in the name of story telling.

All this "no way bullshit!" talk is pointless.

If we go this route then Superman can no longer save people while flying because his momentum means people would just snap like twigs when he snatches them up to save them from peril.

dmills
Oops. Wrong thread

Digi
Originally posted by Badabing
Your logic is sound, it's the comics which make things illogical.

Which is kind of my point. Wouldn't 350x just be a joke to these guys, except Pete and Logan?

zopzop
Guys comics only follow RL Science when it suits the purposes of the writer/when the writer is aware of it and doesn't need to toss it out the window in the name of story telling.

If we go this route then Superman can no longer save people while flying because his momentum means people would just snap like twigs when he snatches them up to save them from peril.

Exactly, also he can't fly around the planet at light or near light speed because he'd wreck havoc with the atmosphere and wind up destroying the world.

The thing I LOVED about the Quasar comic was they attempted to bring in SOME rationality into the comic. Quasar's max speed in the upper atmosphere was Mach 9-10 even though he is capable of much faster speeds because he knew he'd wreck the planet.

RIP Quasar.

dmills

If we go this route then Superman can no longer save people while flying because his momentum means people would just snap like twigs when he snatches them up to save them from peril. You're right in that comics obviously require the willing suspension of disbelief. But some things are just too asinine to swallow. Come on Omega, you mean to tell me that you've never looked at a particular feat and thought, "bullshyte" ?

zopzop
You're right in that comics obviously require the willing suspension of disbelief.

Ding ding ding. thumb up

Omega Vision
Exactly, also he can't fly around the planet at light or near light speed because he'd wreck havoc with the atmosphere and wind up destroying the world.

The thing I LOVED about the Quasar comic was they attempted to bring in SOME rationality into the comic. Quasar's max speed in the upper atmosphere was Mach 9-10 even though he is capable of much faster speeds because he knew he'd wreck the planet.

RIP Quasar.
Idk about that, applying real world physics to the fullest wouldn't it be the case that to fly at light speed Superman would have to be like light (more or less massless)? In which case he wouldn't wreak havoc anymore than sunlight does.

batdude123
The thing I LOVED about the Quasar comic was they attempted to bring in SOME rationality into the comic.

Why? That totally defeats the purpose. Comics, by nature, are completely farcical, and are an escape from reality.

zopzop
Originally posted by batdude123
Why? That totally defeats the purpose. Comics, by nature, are completely farcical, and are an escape from reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

That's why. Otherwise why not just have Supes sneeze away solar systems or other idiotic crap.

zopzop
Idk about that, applying real world physics to the fullest wouldn't it be the case that to fly at light speed Superman would have to be like light (more or less massless)? In which case he wouldn't wreak havoc anymore than sunlight does.

See my other post :P

batdude123
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

That's why. Otherwise why not just have Supes sneeze away solar systems or other idiotic crap.

If you're interested in realistic scenarios in comics, don't read Quasar. Seems a little counter-intuitive.

Omega Vision
See my other post :P
Neutron stars have lots and lots of gravity. The comic depicts this.

There, that's your "semblance of truth".

Originally posted by batdude123
If you're interested in realistic scenarios in comics, don't read Quasar. Seems a little counter-intuitive.
thumb up

I actually wrote a superhero novel two years ago where I tried to have Herald levelers be "scientifically realistic"

Not only did it turn out that most of my "science" was crap, but it ended up contributing to the story's bad quality.

Writers shouldn't try very hard to be realistic unless they actually know their shit.

And the number of people who are both knowledgable in physics and good at writing is very, very small I'm sure.

psycho gundam
yeah, blame science for your shitty writing uhuh

Omega Vision
Originally posted by psycho gundam
yeah, blame science for your shitty writing uhuh
No science was only half of it.

The other half was that I was in High School and inexperienced at writing. stick out tongue

ares834
Anyone who needs to breathe within the hour is dead. Merely becuase oxygen would be likley compressed into liquid form.

psycho gundam
the crushed lungs and diaphragm would precede that horror

Omega Vision
Lmao.

psycho gundam
i'm pretty sure everyone knows what causes snoring, so just imagine that person's throat meat weighing several hundred pounds

dmills
Neutron stars have lots and lots of gravity. The comic depicts this.

There, that's your "semblance of truth".

thumb up

I actually wrote a superhero novel two years ago where I tried to have Herald levelers be "scientifically realistic"

Not only did it turn out that most of my "science" was crap, but it ended up contributing to the story's bad quality.

Writers shouldn't try very hard to be realistic unless they actually know their shit.

And the number of people who are both knowledgable in physics and good at writing is very, very small I'm sure. They don't need to be "scientifically realistic" as much as they "science fictionally" realistic laughing out loud

dmills
i'm pretty sure everyone knows what causes snoring, so just imagine that person's throat meat weighing several hundred pounds

laughing out loud Throat meat sounds like a pornographic reference. "Take that throat meat baby yeah".

carver9
Ok, it seems like everyone has made their decisions but since I am the OP... my vote in this thread is "gold". As soon as the switch is clicked and the gravity is increased, everyone that is on the list body explodes from the inside out.

Bada or Pr, please close this thread.

Brockalizer
Theoretically Namor and Aquaman should both survive.

ares834
the crushed lungs and diaphragm would precede that horror

True true.

h1a8

More the reason that all showings of this nature by Thor or any other character is pure, unbridled, PIS... Gravity is the weakest force. It would take the Earth, whose weight is astronomical, just to make a man weight 170lbs. Thor wasn't overcoming the mass of a neutron star but the gravitational force of one (assuming it wasn't hyperbole).
This force is in the billions of tons, not even trillions.
see here

Diesldude

First of all this thread is laughable. What's 350 to beings who have escaped/palmed blackholes?

Thor wasn't lifting a neutron star which weighs as much as 2 times our sun, instead he was as the scan clearly states subjected to gravimetric attraction akin to that of a Neutron star. This is much much less than having a neutron star drop on him. The gravitational pull on a neutron star is 100 billion times that of earth.
What's 350x earth's gravity to a thor who withstood 100bilx?

At that point, thor weighed 60 trillon lbs which is much much less than the weight of a neutron star.

Neutron stars have a mass of 1.4 to 2 times of the sun but in a body with a radius of about 12.5 miles.
The escape velocity from a neutron star is about a 1/3 of the speed of light.

The gravitational pull of a blackhole is much much greater and more so if it is a super giant blackhole.

the ninjak
Superman, Thor and Surfer are the only sure ones as they've survived intense gravitational forces.

Diesldude
350 x earth's gravity is nothing compared to what some of these guys have done. IMO this thread was made to low ball, if that's not the case where is the Hulk or the Gladiator. LOL

dmills
Don't be a hater.

http://instantyeah.org/YEAH.JPG

Here you go bro.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/dmills31/th_1308858454979.jpg http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/dmills31/th_1308858506029.jpg http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/dmills31/th_1308858516193.jpg http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/dmills31/th_1308858529801.jpg

For what its worth I guess Thor's neutron star feat was portrayed as more of a raw strength -and by proxy, a durability- feat whereas Rider's neutron feat was portrayed as more of a straight up durability feat? However you wanna slice it, considering that the impact triggered a gravity quake (in real life they're called star quakes, but whatever) it was a hellava feat. IMO of course.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.