So, I quit smoking

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Syren
For good this time. I quit when I found out I was pregnant, for about a year altogether, but started up again when Evie was around 3 months. Recently I realised I was smoking around 5-10 a day which doesn't seem a lot but it's crept up from 1 or 2 on a night out to 1 in the evenings to several a day. So last week I decided to stop. And I did big grin It's only been a week today but I'm not using any nicotine replacement therapy or whatever it's called. Here's hoping I can keep it up, eh? big grin

Astner
What is it with people and smoking?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Syren
For good this time. I quit when I found out I was pregnant, for about a year altogether, but started up again when Evie was around 3 months. Recently I realised I was smoking around 5-10 a day which doesn't seem a lot but it's crept up from 1 or 2 on a night out to 1 in the evenings to several a day. So last week I decided to stop. And I did big grin It's only been a week today but I'm not using any nicotine replacement therapy or whatever it's called. Here's hoping I can keep it up, eh? big grin

Good work.

Originally posted by Astner
What is it with people and smoking?

I find the whole "ordeal" retarded. It's like a fat person engorging themselves while saying they want to lose lots of weight.

However, on the same note, a fat person that says that they want to lose weight AND THEN THEY DO IT, I have lots of respect for those types and I tell them stuff like "good job" or "good work". big grin

Astner
Well the first step to quitting a habit or addiction like smoking is not to have a last smoke before you quit.

chomperx9
try the Patches, if they worked on my grandma after smoking for 50 years, they will work on anyone. now she has cancer in her lungs and is on oxygen 24/7. not gonna be around much longer.

quit while you are young

Impediment
Keep it up, babe. You can do it!

Thoren
Glad you quit, keep living.

BruceSkywalker
glad for you kerry

Miss Fiend
Do it for yourself, but also, now for your child. smile

my step-mom died from cancer this year after smoking all her life. unfortunately had to leave her 14 yr old daughter, my sister.

yes! take DOWN those tobacco company bastards. one quitter at a time.

Mairuzu
Weed

Dave_97
i quit, then i started again.

marwash22
quitting sets a bad example for your kid.

mikeydude
I've never actually been addicted. Although I smoke. I haven't had one recently in over 3 weeks because I'm living at my cousins house in the middle of BFE. But I'm not craving anything. Just replacing It I guess with CoD and WoW....

guy222
continued success smile

chomperx9
Originally posted by marwash22
quitting sets a bad example for your kid. thats just wrong

chomperx9
my mom quit years back, but I have to admit ive seen a huge difference in her personality after he quitting.

Astner
Originally posted by chomperx9
try the Patches, if they worked on my grandma after smoking for 50 years, they will work on anyone.
Patches inject nicotine into the bloodstream through the skin. Not the best thing if you're pregnant.

Also if your parents are smokers the child is likely to become a smoker later down his life as well. So um, yeah it was stupid to start and it's stupid not to stop as soon as possible.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by chomperx9
try the Patches, if they worked on my grandma after smoking for 50 years, they will work on anyone. now she has cancer in her lungs and is on oxygen 24/7. not gonna be around much longer.

quit while you are young

I tryed the patches they did not do good at all. sad

Kharhmah

Also if your parents are smokers the child is likely to become a smoker later down his life as well. So um, yeah it was stupid to start and it's stupid not to stop as soon as possible.
Tbh, I wouldn't say that's necessarily true.

For example, my other half's mum and dad dont smoke, and as far as I'm aware they never have, yet he is a current smoker and both his sisters were smokers before they got pregnant.

Furthermore a large percentage of my family on my mother's side are/have been smokers, as are a few on my dad's side, including my dad, and neither me nor my three sisters have ever smoked.

Astner
Originally posted by Kharhmah
Tbh, I wouldn't say that's necessarily true.

For example, my other half's mum and dad dont smoke, and as far as I'm aware they never have, yet he is a current smoker and both his sisters were smokers before they got pregnant.

Furthermore a large percentage of my family on my mother's side are/have been smokers, as are a few on my dad's side, including my dad, and neither me nor my three sisters have ever smoked.
I was obviously arguing statistically hence the use of the word "likely".

Kharhmah
I was obviously arguing statistically hence the use of the word "likely".
Yes dear, I saw the use of the word. Well done.

I was expressing an opinion based on my point of view.
Seeing as, in my experience, the "statistics" suggest the opposite.
i.e. children from non smoking parents/families may smoke to rebel, and children whose family members do smoke, may decide not to start smoking because they didn't like/approve of their parents etc. smoking whilst they were growing up, as was the case with me and my sisters.

Bearing in mind I'm only mentioning this as this is what I have experienced, as I know of a quite a few people who seem to fit this pattern.

chomperx9
Patches inject nicotine into the bloodstream through the skin. Not the best thing if you're pregnant.

Also if your parents are smokers the child is likely to become a smoker later down his life as well. So um, yeah it was stupid to start and it's stupid not to stop as soon as possible. I grew up around smokers all around me. lost my dad from ciggs. my mom just quit afew years before he died. and now im about to lose my grandma. Ive already seen what it does to everyone and I dont smoke.

Miss Fiend

I definitely see where you're coming from, at least my sister that lost her mom now smokes weed on a regular basis... But it's possible she got that from my dad since he's been openly smoking it since she was born.

Me, however, my mom used to smoke and that's my same dad who smokes pot everyday. I grew up with it so much that it really doesn't interest me. Seriously, my dad does it, cool? Not really in my eyes.

I've smoked both cigarettes and weed, mostly when I'm drunk, but I feel like my sober-self really isn't interested for the long term.

AbnormalButSane

That's fantastic that you quit smoking. Hope you keep it up.

I stopped almost a year ago when my SO asked me to quit.

ADarksideJedi
Everyone excert for my sister is the only one who had not smoked in my family.My parents both quit before I was born and now only my three bros and one sister and me smoke.No one else.

Syren

I didn't smoke AT ALL while pregnant. I quit when I found out I was pregnant, this was in October 2009. I had smoked since around 1997, when I started high school. Obviously back then I was probably only smoking half a cigarette twice a day though haha big grin But the point is I quit, didn't smoke at all during pregnancy, didn't smoke while breastfeeding, but unfortunately was weak enough to smoke when I went out with my friends for the first time when Evie was about 3 months old and I decided recently that it was pointless and expensive and quite honestly, selfish of me. So I have now quit for good.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement, by the way, to those of you who offered them big grin

Esau Cairn
S'funny I had no dramas giving up weed after smoking it for nearly 20 years. I literally decided overnight that I didn't like the "taste" of it anymore.

Got hooked on crystal meth for nearly a year & a half...two weeks cold turkey. No prob at all.

Cigarettes on the other hand, hardest thing to give up.
I'm diabetic & can't use patches.

And I don't even drink alcohol either.

lord xyz
For good this time. I quit when I found out I was pregnant, for about a year altogether, but started up again when Evie was around 3 months. Recently I realised I was smoking around 5-10 a day which doesn't seem a lot but it's crept up from 1 or 2 on a night out to 1 in the evenings to several a day. So last week I decided to stop. And I did big grin It's only been a week today but I'm not using any nicotine replacement therapy or whatever it's called. Here's hoping I can keep it up, eh? big grin Hey, that's good to hear! My parents found out I smoked the other day, was so annoying. yawn

The trick to avoid addiction I feel is to not throw a fit when you have one after quitting, bad to add stress to not smoking. smile

bacati55
hi all

That's very good if you can control your smoking habit because it is one of those habits which no one can easily take control of.
Cigratte smoking is very injurious to health and some people never think of it because they feel it is not giving any harm to them but they are unaware of the damage their body is going through from inside and till the time they realized,its too late for them to recover from the position they are into.

Thanks
Bacati

steverules_2
Originally posted by dadudemon
I find the whole "ordeal" retarded. It's like a fat person engorging themselves while saying they want to lose lots of weight.

However, on the same note, a fat person that says that they want to lose weight AND THEN THEY DO IT, I have lots of respect for those types and I tell them stuff like "good job" or "good work". big grin

I tried to lose weight but then I gained it and seems I'm more muscly so what do I get?

Syren
Over 2 weeks now and still not smoking. Easier than I thought hmm

steverules_2
Have you gained weight? Cause I always hear that people eat more

Syren
Originally posted by steverules_2
Have you gained weight? Cause I always hear that people eat more

Actually, I haven't big grin I'm surprised because I did think I would, but I've been trying hard to eat a relatively controlled diet and not use any sort of replacement techniques to get rid of my cravings. Not experiencing terrible cravings either.

largenincharge
Actually, I haven't big grin I'm surprised because I did think I would, but I've been trying hard to eat a relatively controlled diet and not use any sort of replacement techniques to get rid of my cravings. Not experiencing terrible cravings either.

Who care's if you gain weight sista BBW are hwere it's at.

Fëanor

It's been proven that eating red meat and smoking can and will extend your life by more than a third.

Astner
Technically the easiest way to stop smoking would to blow your brains out with a Glock G21, or something along those lines. Not that I'd recommend it.

Syren
Technically the easiest way to stop smoking would to blow your brains out with a Glock G21, or something along those lines. Not that I'd recommend it.

Not my style, but thanks for the input stick out tongue

Rogue Jedi
Technically the easiest way to stop smoking would to blow your brains out with a Glock G21, or something along those lines. Not that I'd recommend it. Or one could just.....you know.....not smoke.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Or one could just.....you know.....not smoke. Lol! Can't believe all those addicts hadn't thought of this. Imagine their faces when we tell em Rogue Jedi's brilliant idea. no expression

Astner
Over 2 weeks now and still not smoking. Easier than I thought hmm
It's only challenging the first three days. You're over the threshold so stop bragging. It would be like I bragging about how I haven't smoked in 22 years only counting the years I've been alive.

Bardock42
It's only challenging the first three days. You're over the threshold so stop bragging. It would be like I bragging about how I haven't smoked in 22 years only counting the years I've been alive.

That's of course not true at all, though.

lord xyz
Why would My Name Is Earl lie?

Bardock42

Syren

laughing out loud You're actually completely wrong.

I wasn't bragging either, by the way. I smoked for 13 years all in all (with one year of not smoking when I was pregnant and then breast feeding) so 2 weeks is an accomplishment whether you agree or not. I was just updating and commenting on how I have found it easier than I thought I would. It's true, it's not an exaggeration, so **** off and find someone else to irritate.

dadudemon
...and then breast feeding...

Unrelated but I'm VERY glad you did so: your child may thank you when she's older (I'm not joking). Were you convinced by the science or tradition? Or was it a combination of both?

Well, this is not the thread for that.

Syren
Unrelated but I'm VERY glad you did so: your child may thank you when she's older (I'm not joking). Were you convinced by the science or tradition? Or was it a combination of both?

Well, this is not the thread for that.

I wanted to. I've always wanted to breastfeed, if ever I had kids. Evie was a textbook pregnancy and birth and when it came to breastfeeding she was a natural big grin I had no difficulties whatsoever apart from the usual soreness when getting used to it etc. So why wouldn't I? Don't understand women who don't even try, really I don't. When Evie was 8/9 weeks, however, I couldn't keep up with her demands and as she was so long and slim I was very anxious about her weight gain, so we switched to formula. Was going to combination feed for 4 weeks or more but that didn't happen unfortunately as my supply disappeared within a few days. If I have any more children I am determined to breastfeed again AND to attempt it in public as I was far too nervous to try that with Evie erm Just being a first time mum, I think. I'm a pro now though haha big grin

Edit; and to answer you question, mainly the science. The benefits to both the mother and the child are fantastic.

dadudemon
I wanted to. I've always wanted to breastfeed, if ever I had kids. Evie was a textbook pregnancy and birth and when it came to breastfeeding she was a natural big grin I had no difficulties whatsoever apart from the usual soreness when getting used to it etc. So why wouldn't I? Don't understand women who don't even try, really I don't. When Evie was 8/9 weeks, however, I couldn't keep up with her demands and as she was so long and slim I was very anxious about her weight gain, so we switched to formula. Was going to combination feed for 4 weeks or more but that didn't happen unfortunately as my supply disappeared within a few days. If I have any more children I am determined to breastfeed again AND to attempt it in public as I was far too nervous to try that with Evie erm Just being a first time mum, I think. I'm a pro now though haha big grin

Seriously, that's great that you did.

I didn't realize how much good science there was backing it. I never put much thought into it until we had to cover it in a college class. Then I was like, "WTF??!?!?! All of this goodness from such a simple, minimalistic, need?" And then it hit me that we are...get this....MAMMALS! laughing

This was probably 6 years ago or something. After researching the crap out of it, had the epiphany (stupid, I know), I called my mother and sincerely thanked her.

Edit; and to answer you question, mainly the science. The benefits to both the mother and the child are fantastic.

Indeed. I bet you liked that weight-loss and nice breast size increase, didn't you? big grin It really is a win-win.

Just recently, my old boss (she no longer works with me, she got another job elsewhere) said that some women continue to stimulate lactation for the metabolism and size increase. I could not believe that, either...but she proved it with a simple google search.

Syren
Seriously, that's great that you did.

I didn't realize how much good science there was backing it. I never put much thought into it until we had to cover it in a college class. Then I was like, "WTF??!?!?! All of this goodness from such a simple, minimalistic, need?" And then it hit me that we are...get this....MAMMALS! laughing

This was probably 6 years ago or something. After researching the crap out of it, had the epiphany (stupid, I know), I called my mother and sincerely thanked her.

I'm so glad I went to my ante-natal classes, they were fantastically informative. Not to mention my step mother is a midwife and has 2 children of her own and she is a great advocate for breastfeeding as long as possible. She told me the ins and outs, in lots of detail big grin Just down to how the antibodies passed onto the baby through the mother's breastmilk help greatly in strengthening the child's immune system. I mean, why wouldn't you want that for your baby?

Haha yeah, it also encourages the uterus to contract following birth. It's very uncomfortable at first, actually. You have to contend with the soreness of the breasts from engorgement, the soreness of the nipples because they're not used to be suckled (not that much anyway lol) and then to add to that the discomfort of strong period-like cramps as the uterus shrinks again. Breastfeeding makes it all happen more quickly though. I lost about 16lbs in those 9 weeks. Put it on again though, when I stopped erm

~Bun Bun~
That's so awesome! happy

I smoke. I'm not going to pretend that i'm trying to quit all the time. But when I get sick I totally stop. Then I go for a week or so and I start getting better and I slowly start back up again. It always starts the same way... "Hey let me hit that"... "Hey can I have one"..."Hey can I have another"...~Buys pack~

My family kinda fits that mold. My parents both smoke... As do my brother and I. My two sisters don't. So for the kids it's half and half. I really do have to admit being around it everyday makes it the hardest.

Syren
Originally posted by ~Bun Bun~
That's so awesome! happy

I smoke. I'm not going to pretend that i'm trying to quit all the time. But when I get sick I totally stop. Then I go for a week or so and I start getting better and I slowly start back up again. It always starts the same way... "Hey let me hit that"... "Hey can I have one"..."Hey can I have another"...~Buys pack~

My family kinda fits that mold. My parents both smoke... As do my brother and I. My two sisters don't. So for the kids it's half and half. I really do have to admit being around it everyday makes it the hardest.

Thank you lovey big grin

I really, really enjoyed smoking. I really miss it!! But I think there are too many benefits to my family to start up again. Apart from the obvious health benefits, our finances are going to feel more comfortable! I can look at my bank balance and know it won't decrease until I need something like food or whatever, without having to worry about how much I need for cigarettes over the next month. It seems ridiculous now that I budgeted for cigarettes shrug

And definitely, being the only one in this household smoking helped me to quit. If Jamie still smoked I'd have found it way harder yes

Rogue Jedi
Quitting smoking was easy once I learned the trigger effects and ways to counter them. I haven't had a smoke in like 6 months now. Last time I quit, it wasn't the nicotine withdrawals that got me, it was the hand to mouth thing. I needed something to put in my mouth (Rob is gonna love that), so I bought a buncha twizzlers, chopped them up cigarette sized, and used them.

The only time I crave now is when I drink.

Syren
I've been using a Nano 'disposable e-cigarette' when I go out and drink etc. I associate smoking with drinking on a night out, usually. I've broken the 'after dinner smoke' cycle though.

Rogue Jedi
I thought about getting one of those. My friend Kristine got one and swears by it.

Syren
They're great, if you don't mind the taste of caramel every time you inhale. I don't mind, actually. I get enough of a kick from a couple of puffs every day or two. I really don't need it at all, I just feel comforted knowing it's there and readily available to me.

~Bun Bun~
Oh yes lovely triggers. I know once I stop (because I know I will be one of these days...) my morning coffee and cig will the hardest one by far. Drinking and weed make me crave one aswell but nothing like coffee does.

Lestov16
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Weed

~Bun Bun~
Originally posted by Lestov16

Not a replacement for me.

Lestov16
I never liked cigarettes. The one time a smoked a whole cigarette I felt nauseous as shit for about 45 minutes. That's why I stick to the sticky smile

~Bun Bun~
When mary jane is wet-er, the kick is always better stoned

Lestov16
Originally posted by ~Bun Bun~
When mary jane is wet-er, the kick is always better stoned Happy Dance

Syren
Say no to weed oh

Scythe

Good on ya, Sy. Ya have my support as well.

Syren
Thank you Scythey eyes

So yeah, it's been 3 weeks now big grin

skyrose
Good on you, I feel for you - had given it up over 20 years ago now. Then my friends and relatives followed suit. What I did was that everytime I wanted a smoke, I would chew the thing up then spit it out - had it framely set in my mind how much I hated it, the way it tasted - the way it smelt. You have to hate it that much - it was the only way after 3 unsuccessful attempts with patches etcetra.
I wish you well, and I know you can do it smile Cheers smile

Jedireaper
When ever you wanna smoke, chow down on a carrot stick. I'm not kidding.

Syren
Thanks for the advice! Replacement does work, although I've been using the Nano disposable cigarettes. I probably have a couple of puffs every few days now on average which is great big grin

bacati55
Hello

Quitting Smoking is a Brave Act, its not possible for every smoker to quit.
Keep up the good work by quitting bad habits.

Thanks
A2zchild

lord xyz
Say no to weed oh I had some good times high. ermm

Kelly_Bean
Congrats and hope it works out for you!
I was the same way before - smoked 1-3 cigarettes a day and bragged at how easy it was for me to smoke that little. Then things started to fall stressful and one day last week I smoked a pack and a half in 2 days. erm I'm at about 3-5 cigarettes a day depending on situation but it's still 3-5 too much. I just can't quit now. It's like my life support!

Mairuzu
Say no to weed oh

sick

iRuleSoHard
Keep it strong. I've quit for a month now. There's good and bad days. You just need to remember never smoke again and if you do that doesn't give you carte blanche to continue smoking. Treat it as an isolated incident and never smoke again!

Cherrywild
I quit recently due to health complications, but cigarettes were really helpful sometimes for both the pain and the mental distraction from certain procedures. Weed helps a little, but being sick I honestly don't enjoy being high. If anything I want clarity.

I was thinking I might invest in a decent hookah piece ( to 'reward' myself for handling some things as well as a sub in for the mental distraction ) or maybe trying the Electronic cigs.

NeoGills
I quit smoking but turned into Electronic-cigarette! sad
it less harmful and great in taste.
I'm addicted.

bogert
WOW...!!!thats simply great..You can do it babe..!!keep it up..!!

you get thorns
Originally posted by Cherrywild
I quit recently due to health complications, but cigarettes were really helpful sometimes for both the pain and the mental distraction from certain procedures. Weed helps a little, but being sick I honestly don't enjoy being high. If anything I want clarity.

I was thinking I might invest in a decent hookah piece ( to 'reward' myself for handling some things as well as a sub in for the mental distraction ) or maybe trying the Electronic cigs.

Got a buddy with one of the electronic cigs. It works for him. I will repeat his advice. Read the reviews. Shop around. Don't let money be the deciding factor. Cheap tends to have more than one accurate definition. Good luck.I quit over 22 years ago. One of the best things I ever did.

LanceWindu
I'm using an ecig right now. It really does work. In 3 days, I've only smoked 4 real cigarettes (ran out of oil).

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by Cherrywild

I was thinking I might invest in a decent hookah piece ( to 'reward' myself for handling some things as well as a sub in for the mental distraction ) or maybe trying the Electronic cigs. If you don't mind me asking, why are you so sick?

siriuswriter
Awesome, Syren! Just think of all the years of life given back to you! And no second-hand smoking for your baba. I'm really, really impressed with anyone who gives up smoking - just the willpower to make that decision can be really scary.

Hurrah!

jorgea
Now you have an additional reason to quit smoking. If not for yourself, at least for your future child.

Astner
Originally posted by lord xyz
I had some good times high. ermm
Naturally, due to the THC. Then again, it's fat-soluble substance and will over time damage your brain and deter your cognitive abilities as well as motor skills.

But please, elaborate on your mindset as you decided to experiment with drugs, because it doesn't make sense to me.

LanceWindu
Nwill over time damage your brain and deter your cognitive abilities as well as motor skills.

Astner
Originally posted by LanceWindu

Oh, you're one of those people who insists on that there are no long term effects of marijuana? Here you go, buddy.

LanceWindu
Today marked 200 days without a smoke for me.

Cold turkey.

Yurika
Not an easy decision you've made. My friend have tried a few times, but never succeed.

AbnormalButSane
3 years since I quit

Mairuzu
Stick to the herb, fools

LanceWindu
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Stick to the herb, fools

I smoke that on occasion, but the death sticks are out of the picture.

Mairuzu
I'm waiting for the girl thats always at my house to stop smoking. Until then I have to sacrifice my lungs and take as much away from hers as possible. It sucks

"lemme hit that" uhuh

DeNiro
That's awesome good for u been like five months for
Me.. Been doing two a day workouts.. Swimming about a half of a mile
To a mile
A day mixed in with weights and the stairmaster... Start drinking lots of water also.. Water will diminish the cortisol level in your brain which is the stress hormone... Making quitting much raiser and maybe make water your new addiction.. I don't go a day without drinking at least a gallon or two

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.