PhD (Doctoral) Research: Terrorism and Superheroes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UCLGeogPhD

inimalist
LOL

how did you ever get funding for this from a Geography department?

inimalist
dont read if you are going to participate:

http://www.essex.ac.uk/history/conferences/Postgraduate%20Conferences/Papers/Gray%20-%20Heroes_Conference_Paper_2003.pdf

UCLGeogPhD
My work forms part of the wider sphere of critical geopolitics in particular popular geopolitics which I first studied during my undergraduate degree at Cambridge. I'm interested in how audiences understand reality through discourses within media.

I have also been invited to present at a History conference debating the nature of heroism (something not really touched upon in my main work, but quite common in academia for people to branch out and try to look at bodies of work differently for different departments and academic disciplines) which has so kindly been bought up here. My more current publications surround the methodological questions of critical geopolitics:

Dittmer, J., Gray, N. (2010). Popular Geopolitics 2.0: Towards new methodologies of the everyday. Geography Compass 11(4), 1664-1677

I thank you for your interest and I look forward to your replies.

Bardock42
Took the questionnaire.

dadudemon
I took it as well.

Who didn't put down Batman as the primary "having to deal with terrorism, the most" character? I'm sure I could have thought of many other characters especially from Manga, but it was just the easiest answer to put down.

jaden101

UCLGeogPhD

jaden101
Done it. I'm also going to have a read of the paper that inimalist posted later on tonight.

I'll post my thoughts on that too.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
I took it as well.

Who didn't put down Batman as the primary "having to deal with terrorism, the most" character? I'm sure I could have thought of many other characters especially from Manga, but it was just the easiest answer to put down.

Word

UCLGeogPhD
Originally posted by jaden101
Done it. I'm also going to have a read of the paper that inimalist posted later on tonight.

I'll post my thoughts on that too.

Thanks for taking part.

The papers not the greatest as its a write up of a conference presentation given that I wasn't expecting to have to hand in anything written for (as this is not usually the practice and I didn't have permissions to publish the relevant images on the document from the Warner Bros. lawyers). So its a rehash of my masters dissertation on DC's 'Black Adam' with a refocus on trying to understand the nature of heroism rather than being geopolitically focussed as was the original research.

inimalist
not that it wasnt interesting, I did like it and think others here will as well, but half the point of posting your previous work was to ensure you weren't a sock stick out tongue

and quotes from z-cult? you got game sir!

I'll try to bring up some stuff to discuss from the other paper later, but I've got a full weekend of concerts and conferences, lol! I'm sort of interested in takin you up on the discourse or orientialism though, as, to me at least, a lot of it seems like criticizing "Debbie does Dallas" because it might have been shot in Houston. lol, that makes more sense when you look at Victorian art, but I still think it applies here smile

sorry for the "tease" I'm on my phone waiting for a subject.

TacDavey
I took it as well.

I was actually tempted to put Goku at first...

UCLGeogPhD
I miss Z-CultFM, was an excellent little board for comic discussions back in my ZippoHippo days on that board. Was where I picked up a lot of suggestions of things to try out from back in the day. Spent many a happy time perusing and posting on there before the dreaded shut-down occurred.

Glad you enjoyed the paper, I don't feel it works overly well without images, especially where I'm desperately trying to describe an image and analyse at the same time.

dadudemon
Originally posted by UCLGeogPhD
Glad you enjoyed the paper, I don't feel it works overly well without images, especially where I'm desperately trying to describe an image and analyse at the same time.

It felt like it was missing something when I read it so it makes sense that the images made it flow.

Symmetric Chaos
I took it as well.

lol, I sat there for a minute thinking about it before I decided batman was the only good answer. Nick Fury could have gone there but he's not really a superhero.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by inimalist
dont read if you are going to participate:

http://www.essex.ac.uk/history/conferences/Postgraduate%20Conferences/Papers/Gray%20-%20Heroes_Conference_Paper_2003.pdf

I like the paper!

People think Black Adam has pointy ears because he's Arab? Casual racism never ceases to amaze me.

I don't think people expected him to fail because of their views of the East, however. He had two major things arrayed against him. First: comic book inertia, setting up a permanent change is rare and difficult for a character that is at all established. Second: the laws of drama "happy people make boring stories". These two factors mean that experienced audiences know to expect that new characters who carry emotionally weight will die in order to serve drama.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.