Superboy Vs Apollo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prep-Man
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/7/79752/1858922-project_luthor_edit_large.jpg

vs

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/10837/1852632-stormwatch_large.jpg

Digi
Wtf is that pic from?

Prep-Man
Stormwatch #1. comes out in september. remem er digi?

Digi
The ****! Best news I've heard in a while. Found an awesome comic shop in my new town, and now this. Good times!

Prep-Man
its written by paul cornell. awesome writer. grifter and voodoo will also be getting ongoing series.

Digi
The hell is with MNer's costume though. It looks lame. Thanks though, that's exciting.

quanchi112
Apollo wins.

Prep-Man
how does apollo win?

Harbinger
Conner.

cdtm
Don't like Apollo's look.

And Conner wins.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Prep-Man
how does apollo win? Beating the hell out of him. he was working captain atom hardcore.

Prep-Man
when? scans?

cdtm
when? scans?

It happened in Captain Atom: Armageddon, except Cap said it would take Apollo a few hours of non stop punching to wear him down.

I wouldn't put much stock in that series regardless, for a number of reasons. For one thing, Apollo was never a cold blooded killer, like portrayed there, and they forgot Majestic has magic resistance, given how easily the Doctor froze him (Sure, the Doctors powerful, but it should take more then a simple two bit trick..)

And it was just a generally badly written story..

Digi
Originally posted by cdtm
It happened in Captain Atom: Armageddon, except Cap said it would take Apollo a few hours of non stop punching to wear him down.

I wouldn't put much stock in that series regardless, for a number of reasons. For one thing, Apollo was never a cold blooded killer, like portrayed there, and they forgot Majestic has magic resistance, given how easily the Doctor froze him (Sure, the Doctors powerful, but it should take more then a simple two bit trick..)

Wrong on many levels. Apollo kills all the time. I never remember the "few hours of non-stop punching" comment, and I posted the fight to the respect thread. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're misremembering.

Majestic's resistance has never been shown to be so powerful that someone on the Doctor's level can't harm him. Yes, the Doctor can toy with Superman clones. Everything about his history and feats suggests this, and he has other feats that replicate or surpass that one.

I don't know or care who wins this fight. I just dislike misinformation. The Cpt. Atom feat was a good one for Apollo, one of his better ones, but not entirely anomalous. The only bad writing from a power standpoint in that arc was Majestic jobbing to Atom.

Prep-Man
i dont remember apollo defeating captain atom. mary marvel beat captain atom once, so i am not impressed. i think superboy has better feats and more of them. he just helped stop a tidal wave with his ttk.

cdtm
Originally posted by Digi] Wrong on many levels. Apollo kills all the time. I never remember the "few hours of non-stop punching" comment, and I posted the fight to the respect thread. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're misremembering.

Killing when needed doesn't make one a bloodthirsty killer.

The fact is, both Apollo and Midnighter were portrayed as monsters who enjoyed killing and inflicting pain. They were acting like villains, basically.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/CDTM3000/CaptainAtomArmageddon8-007.jpg

Majestic resisted some pretty high end magic, including transmutation. As powerful as the Dr. is, Majestic isn't just any Superman clone.

It was as good as the feats from Maul and Majestic, but didn't really outshine them, imo.

Doesn't matter, I still say the series sucked. It was an insult to Wildstorm.

Bentley
Well, there is the fact Captain Atom was bluffing, he needed to go to the sun to win that battle.

cdtm
Originally posted by Bentley
Well, there is the fact Captain Atom was bluffing, he needed to go to the sun to win that battle.

Could be, yeah.

Both Maul and Apollo pounding on him didn't seem to do much damage though. Usually even with high end bricks, grounding and pounding causes serious damage (If it was Superman mounted on Black Adam, can you see BA standing up to the same assault Maul and Apollo inflicted on CA without a lot of physical damage?)

Bentley
Could be, yeah.

Both Maul and Apollo pounding on him didn't seem to do much damage though. Usually even with high end bricks, grounding and pounding causes serious damage (If it was Superman mounted on Black Adam, can you see BA standing up to the same assault Maul and Apollo inflicted on CA without a lot of physical damage?)

Well, when reading it, it gave me the impression Captain Atom was having serious trouble. He also seemed to overpower Majestic at some point, so who knows exactly which powerlevel he had.

srankmissingnin
Superboy. Effortlessly. Apollo might as well be Rogue with classic Ms Marvel attributes compared to Superboy...

Bentley
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Superboy. Effortlessly. Apollo might as well be Rogue with classic Ms Marvel attributes compared to Superboy...

He went toe to toe with Captain Atom no expression

srankmissingnin
He went toe to toe with Captain Atom no expression

So did Maul. dur

Bentley
So did Maul. dur

He didn't sundip to beat Maul confused

OneDumbG0
So did Maul. dur The dur smiley is appropriate, considering that Captain Atom curb-stomped Maul.

srankmissingnin
He didn't sundip to beat Maul confused

He tricked him into reverting into his weak human form. He tricked Apollo into sun dipping and overloading himself. Both instances he ate a ground and pound, both instances he never raised a fist or threw a punch. Virtually the same... except in one instance the ground and pound pushed him down several meters into the earth and through a CIA bunker... and it wasn't the instance involving Apollo. And according to Atom that was Maul not trying to kill him.

OneDumbG0
^ Reread Captain Atom Armageddon again for christ's sake.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
^ Reread Captain Atom Armageddon again for christ's sake.

Just did... now maybe you should give it a try? Or are you content with your fairytale version?

OneDumbG0
^ How about I just post the differences between the two fights:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Even%20More%20Random/th_CaptainAtom01.jpg compared to this http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Even%20More%20Random/th_CaptainAtom02.jpg

Captain Atom himself hammers the point home:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Even%20More%20Random/CaptainAtom02a.jpg

You can lie to yourself all you want. Give up trying to mislead others.

Bentley
Just did... now maybe you should give it a try? Or are you content with your fairytale version?

I don't know why you deny the fact that Apollo is just bellow top tier, I assume it has something to do with Wolverine biscuits

srankmissingnin
^ How about I just post the differences between the two fights:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Even%20More%20Random/th_CaptainAtom01.jpg compared to this http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Even%20More%20Random/th_CaptainAtom02.jpg

Captain Atom himself hammers the point home:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Even%20More%20Random/CaptainAtom02a.jpg

You can lie to yourself all you want. Give up trying to mislead others.

Yeah... how am I misleading anyone? Maul was battering Atom into the ground... literately. A side by side comparison clearly shows one of the examples to be more impressive than the other, and its not the one with Apollo. The dialogue only indicates that Apollo lacked the restrained or composer that Maul and Majestic apparently exercised (lol). A visual comparison of the feats and the Maul example is more impressive, the only thing that might suggest otherwise is a comparison of the dialogue boxes alone while ignoring the art... and even the dialogue boxes in the Maul example are interrupted with frequent cries of pain, something else missing from the Apollo example. But comics are a visual medium and if there is a discrepancy, the art is more important than the narration. Not sure what the big deal is either way though Atom weathered both attacks like they were nothing... because they were nothing.

Superboy stomps.

Q99
Apollo's also done stuff like sterilize a good section of the Moon to eliminate alien invaders and take on an invasion force while having to power up from zero.

My perception of him is at full he's near the level of Majestic and the High, but he's got a very limited battery in comparison, though on the flip side he also has a very fast charge up time.

Bentley
Yeah... how am I misleading anyone? Maul was battering Atom into the ground... literately. A side by side comparison clearly shows one of the examples to be more impressive than the other, and its not the one with Apollo. The dialogue only indicates that Apollo lacked the restrained or composer that Maul and Majestic apparently exercised (lol). A visual comparison of the feats and the Maul example is more impressive, the only thing that might suggest otherwise is a comparison of the dialogue boxes alone while ignoring the art... and even the dialogue boxes in the Maul example are interrupted with frequent cries of pain, something else missing from the Apollo example. But comics are a visual medium and if there is a discrepancy, the art is more important than the narration. Not sure what the big deal is either way though Atom weathered both attacks like they were nothing... because they were nothing.

Superboy stomps.

Euh, no. You can't messure who is more powerful by sheer collateral damage, that's just not how it works.

OneDumbG0

Superboy stomps. Your assertions are equally absurd and disingenuous.

Anybody reading those scans sees the damn difference that Captain Atom himself noted in plain English. Captain Atom was weathering Maul's punches quite easily. His bemused thoughts and reactions during Maul's assault make this clear.

When Apollo assaults him, he's fearful. Captain Atom's sense of relief in surviving Apollo and successfully tricking him is also clear. And afterwards, Captain Atom was exhausted. Not so with Maul.

And your delusions don't merit further discussion on the matter when the comic is this clear.

Allankles
its written by paul cornell. awesome writer. grifter and voodoo will also be getting ongoing series.

Cornell's impressed me, everything I've read with him has been good. Should be interesting.

Allankles
Your assertions are equally absurd and disingenuous.

Anybody reading those scans sees the damn difference that Captain Atom himself noted in plain English. Captain Atom was weathering Maul's punches quite easily. His bemused thoughts and reactions during Maul's assault make this clear.

When Apollo assaults him, he's fearful. Captain Atom's sense of relief in surviving Apollo and successfully tricking him is also clear. And afterwards, Captain Atom was exhausted. Not so with Maul.

And your delusions don't merit further discussion on the matter when the comic is this clear.

But the difference lies mostly in the fact that Apollo is actually using lethal force when Maul wasn't. That's a very significant piece of context there, behind the differences in Atom's condition after the 2 fights.

OneDumbG0
^ It's not Apollo's fault that Maul got curb-stomped by Captain Atom.

And that's all we're arguing over. Did Maul go toe-to-toe with Captain Atom as well as Apollo did?

Phuck no. Whatever excuses need to be conjured up doesn't change that.

cdtm
Yeah, it doesn't matter if Maul was holding back or not, that doesn't take away from Apollo making Captain Atom fear for his life.

Digi
Could be, yeah.

Not "could be" dude. Sorry, but consider the context. He's tricking Apollo into going to the sun because he has a plan. He even prefaces it with a "Apollo's not that bright" comment to lead us into the trick. If you can't see that, you're a poor contextual reader.

If you made an Atom vs. Apollo thread, I'd pick Atom hands down because of the entirety of his feats, even if you remove the trick he pulled. But to say Apollo isn't in his league is clearly wrong. You said he didn't kill...have you even read Authority?

srank, it doesn't take Cpt. Atom nonsense to see you're embellishing. I have no problem with Connor winning this fight, but Rogue level in strength?!

I dislike characters becoming 1 feat. But it need not be that way. His collective feats make your downplaying of him laughable. Anyone who can hit the planet at a 90 degree angle going hundreds of miles an hour and act like nothing happened is > Rogue. Lifting skyscrapers twice the size of the biggest in LA is > Rogue. Covering huge portions of the moon (continent-sized at least) with burning hot plasma is > Rogue. There's probably a dozen other feats that hammer home the point just as effectively, but that should be plenty.

Originally posted by Q99
Apollo's also done stuff like sterilize a good section of the Moon to eliminate alien invaders and take on an invasion force while having to power up from zero.

My perception of him is at full he's near the level of Majestic and the High, but he's got a very limited battery in comparison, though on the flip side he also has a very fast charge up time.

Pretty much. Those two would outlast him, but certainly not destroy Apollo easily.

Silent Master
Isn't the Captain Atom fight from a crossover?

Digi
DC owns Wildstorm and is in the same multiverse, that was all entirely canon. Both the Authority and Cpt. Atom acknowledged the arc afterward in their stories. There's been a few notable universe-spanning instances involving WS. Hell, even a brief one in Final Crisis.

Like I said though, that one feat is irrelevant to most of the points being made here.

srankmissingnin
Your assertions are equally absurd and disingenuous.

lol

Atom was completely fine in both examples. He even said it would take hours for Apollo to kill them. The feats are exactly the ****ing same dude. Atom eats a ground and pound, gets saved by plot device. There is nothing innately more impressive about the Apollo fight than the Maul example, and Maul didn't "curb stomped" at least any more than Apollo did. The only difference is that Apollo had intend to kill... but that doesn't mean he accomplished more. If you were eating a ground and pound from Batman and Punisher, you would be more worried about Punisher not stopping until you were dead... but that doesn't mean Batman is going to kick your ass any less less. Hell, up until the point Bruce beats you unconscious, he'll likely do more damage, faster and more efficiently. Which is exactly what we saw. On panel. In the actual art. Something more valid than your "interpenetration."

OneDumbG0
Atom was completely fine in both examples. LIke I said, he was exhausted after his fight with Apollo, not after his fight with Maul. You'd know this if you actually read the comic:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Even%20More%20Random/CaptainAtom04.jpg

In contrast, after Captain Atom dispensed with Maul, he went on to curbstomp the rest of the Wild C.A.T.S. and was fine. Originally posted by srankmissingnin
He even said it would take hours for Apollo to kill them. He was goading him with that comment. It was a simple but effective ploy to get him to go to the Sun. If it were actually going to take hours, Captain Atom wouldn't have been fishing for weaknesses and thinking, "He's... he's really going to kill me. C'mon c'mon... There must be some way. He must have some weakness."

Don't be dense. Maul didn' go toe-to-toe with Captain Atom like Apollo did. Maul got curbstomped. Apollo nearly killed him.

Bentley
lol

Atom was completely fine in both examples. He even said it would take hours for Apollo to kill them. The feats are exactly the ****ing same dude. Atom eats a ground and pound, gets saved by plot device. There is nothing innately more impressive about the Apollo fight than the Maul example, and Maul didn't "curb stomped" at least any more than Apollo did. The only difference is that Apollo had intend to kill... but that doesn't mean he accomplished more. If you were eating a ground and pound from Batman and Punisher, you would be more worried about Punisher not stopping until you were dead... but that doesn't mean Batman is going to kick your ass any less less. Hell, up until the point Bruce beats you unconscious, he'll likely do more damage, faster and more efficiently. Which is exactly what we saw. On panel. In the actual art. Something more valid than your "interpenetration."

Again with the art. Art sucks at designating powerlevels, keep in mind that there is the artistic licence of fitting a certain image to the story told. I agree that you can argue when you have a combination of image and text open to interpretation, what you're doing here is trying to build bridges in the air with images by clearly contradicting on panel narration.

cdtm
Captain Atom was fighting since he got to the Wildstorm-verse. That's the most likely reason for his fatigue, and not ONLY from his fight with Apollo (Though I do agree he was clearly convinced Apollo had the power to kill him.)

Q99
Captain Atom was fighting since he got to the Wildstorm-verse. That's the most likely reason for his fatigue, and not ONLY from his fight with Apollo (Though I do agree he was clearly convinced Apollo had the power to kill him.)

The Apollo fight was days after the Maul fight, where he had time to not only rest up on the carrier, but visit over a hundred different worlds looking for DC Earth.

He should've been at full going into it.

SevenShackles
i don know much of superboy, iv seen good feats and rather low ones. im more familiar with Apollo but he ranges about the same with great showings and some low ones just with more blood-lust/will to kill if needed. i would go with apollo for the win but i dont know superboy that well so if someone could give me a pro and cons comparison of the two i would appreciate it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A0SnkcQq2kA/SwWjvgRdTQI/AAAAAAAAAiY/tcGLx1E3530/s1600/superboy-in-adventure-comics-1-superman-6931513-1278-1956.jpg
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/308/196683-57372-apollo_super.jpg

seems like a fight worth reading in comics.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.