If Obiwan was faster...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JediRobin23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3dI-ghYimg&feature=related

DARTH POWER
Lol It was a bit strange he couldn't run faster, considering the super speed they showed at the beginning of the movie.

I guess the assumption is they're moving faster than what we're seeing.

dadudemon
I lol'd.

That's the same thing every semi-intelligent Star Wars fan has asked: why didn't Mr. Wan use force speed????!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

It's kind of irritating.

queeq
Yup, a plot hole so big he could have run through it.

JediRobin23
Originally posted by queeq
Yup, a plot hole so big he could have run through it.

laughing out loud yep

queeq
He could have solved his own problem by using his problem.

Jack Daniels
you are all just being rude....this was not in the script...end of line

JediRobin23
its just funny. If you want to worry about plot holes, this one is minor

queeq
Err... not really. Wasn;t this fight called the Duel of the Fates? Wasn't QGJ's death the cause of Anakin's fall? So Anakin falls to the dark side because a door doesn't open and OB1 decides not to force run...

General G
He IS still a padawan at that point. Maybe he didn't think of it? Or thought of it too late? He hadn't done the trials yet, which would make him a Jedi Knight.

queeq
Oh I don't blame OB1... I blame George.

Korto Vos
I always thought those "doors" were like lasers, and if you accidently ran through them as they were activated, you'd be sliced in half.

So that's why Obi-Wan ran instead of using Force Speed?

General G
Oh I don't blame OB1... I blame George.

It's true, OB1 had no choice, he had to do what George told him to do.

Originally posted by Korto Vos
I always thought those "doors" were like lasers, and if you accidently ran through them as they were activated, you'd be sliced in half.

So that's why Obi-Wan ran instead of using Force Speed?

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the doors.

But if THAT is why he ran instead of Force Ran then isn't that a terribly selfish decision? He had the opportunity or psosibility of helping his Master.

Korto Vos
LOL, I think Qui-Gon would prefer his Padawan to be more sensible than stupidly selfless.

General G
Which is exaaaaactly why he didn't Force Run. No guarantee he wouldn't have made it past the doors.

queeq
BS... he knew how it the doors would be open. He had seen them close and open before. You make an estimate how long it takes to force run to the end. The slicing could have happened during normal run as well.. Plus they have Jedi senses right, see thing before they happen?

Nah, it's a plot hole. A big one.

General G
I had this whole argument written up and everything, then remembered exactly which part we were talking about.

A big plothole.

Korto Vos
I think Lucas would have rationalized it as above if he was ever questioned on it.

queeq
Of course he would.

NTJack0
It's not Obi-Wan's fault George screwed with him.

queeq
Exactly. But he is in good company: Indy was also screwed by George.

General G
George has quite the record, really. It's actually quite impressive.

queeq
Indeed.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Why isn't the assumption that he was running fast.. but we just didn't view it that way on the screen?

Lord Lucien
Because that would be making (piss-poor) excuses for a film that doesn't deserve it.

-kV-
I mean, you could assume things on film are seen from a Jedi POV - that is, that things are actually happening really quickly (such as the duels), but we see it from a Force sensitive POV so it 'slows down,' if that makes any sense.

I actually believe that's the case for the Jedi vs. Sith fight scenes. Still, for this thread however, why Kenobi didn't use Force Speed is a plot hole or the laser doors would have sliced him.

Lord Lucien
The POV fights throughout the EU are bothersome. It's always written to conform with that character's standards, so the overall consistency gets skewed. It's why the film fights are more funner; if they show it slow, it's slow. Tough.

dadudemon
Why did the Emperor keep his lightning on when Vader picked him up?

Why do all of the multi-person duels in the PT not end up in a landslide victory for the multi-party team (cause one person could easily just use TK to cause the "bad guy's" saber to falter, ever so slightly, causing the bad guy's head to get cut off).

Here's why: giving people magical powers and then writing a movie about them is going to create plotholes no matter how hard you try and fix it.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by dadudemon
Here's why: giving people magical powers and then writing a movie about them is going to create plotholes no matter how hard you try and fix it. Some are easier than others to fix--the speedy running that gets used once and never again, for example. The simple answer is that Lucas has no foresight.

There's some irony in there somewhere...

queeq
Hehehe

ROTJ Vader
Hahahaha lol.

Vensai
I guess he was tired... Nah, it's Lucas forgetting Jedi powers.

DARTH POWER
He wanted to open TPM scene showing that Jedi are super powerful.

There was another instance of super speed. Luke's really fast leap in ESB. So that's one showing per trilogy Lol.

But still because it has been shown more than once, I'm going with the fights being from the Jedi POV.

dadudemon
Err... not really. Wasn;t this fight called the Duel of the Fates? Wasn't QGJ's death the cause of Anakin's fall? So Anakin falls to the dark side because a door doesn't open and OB1 decides not to force run...

I didn't see this post. Yes, I agree. Had Qui Gon been around, I don't think Anakin would have fallen.

KingD19
Qui-Gon would have shown a lot more care in raising/training Anakin. Obi-Wan just let him do whatever.

Also, Obi-Wan pretty much jogged his way over to Maul and Qui-Gon; if he'd picked up the pace a bit, he wouldn't have gotten stopped by the doors which would have indeed killed him since he didn't have the Force abilities needed to get through them.

Kickballjedi

This. The whole point of the fight wasn't for Maul to survive, it was to kill QGJ so OB1 would teach Anakin. OB1, who was more "emotional", not in touch with the living force as much as QGJ. If you watch the choreography of the fight closely, Maul just keeps pushing OB1 out of the fight, never really trying to attack him directly. Maul aggressively goes after QGJ, whose face reflects the ferocity of Maul's attacks, far too much for him to handle alone. So whether it was laser fields or another "doorway", Maul would've kept OB1 out of the fight because he was meant to survive per Palaptine's plan. Maul was another lackey of Sidius sacrificed (like Dooku) to pave the way for Anakin to become his ultimate apprentice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.