David Liss on black superheroes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deadline

CPT Space Bomb
There should be more black heroes, or at least a few really powerful ones. I'm really surprised that there hasn't really been an original and powerful stand alone black hero. Storm is good, Steel is basically Black Superman......I mean c'mon.

I'm not black but I recognize disparity when I see it.

Omega Vision
Leaving out other races generally isn't an act of "deliberate omission", it's a case of writers just not going out of their way to make minority characters.

Most comics book writers are white, and its a trite but true saying that you write what you know.

Not to say there can't or shouldn't be more minority characters, just that I don't think some kind of fictional Affirmative Action drive (which seems to be what David Liss advocates) is necessary. If you make a minority character it should be a natural creative act rather than something forced or spurred by a perceived need for diversity.

Besides...this isn't about black characters...its about minorities in general. Unless David Liss is one of those people who says "minorities" as a PC term for black people.

Deadline
Originally posted by Omega Vision

Not to say there can't or shouldn't be more minority characters, just that I don't think some kind of fictional Affirmative Action drive (which seems to be what David Liss advocates) is necessary. If you make a minority character it should be a natural creative act rather than something forced or spurred by a perceived need for diversity.

Thats not what he was saying at all, well done.

Robtard
Originally posted by Deadline
The superhero universes position themselves as alternative versions of our own world, and it only makes sense that they should be similarly populated. So one answer is that it makes no sense for there not to be black superheroes, and to leave out members of any race or ethnic group is an act of deliberate omission.

LoL, this Liss guy. Love it when white people go overboard over perceived "black issues."

1) There are black superheroes. DC has around 60 and Marvel around 70. There's plenty more in the other comic companies, big and small. Doesn't seem like some massive "disparity" to me.

2) Writers shouldn't have to create characters to meet some quota. Goes against the very nature of creativity.

Maybe he should be trying to swing from Latino or Asian cocks, instead of T'Challa's, there might be a superhero disparity in those ethnic groups. I also don't think there's any Inuit superheros.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Deadline
Thats not what he was saying at all, well done.
Yeah it was. He's essentially saying that writers should go out of their way to make more minority characters and talk more about race relations. To me it sounds like someone trying too hard to seem ecumenical.

I can't help but notice you didn't even address the first part of my post. I take it you agree then that calling it 'deliberate omission' is an exaggeration?
Originally posted by Robtard
LoL, this Liss guy. Love it when white people go overboard over perceived "black issues."

1) There are black superheroes. DC has around 60 and Marvel around 70. There's plenty more in the other comic companies, big and small. Doesn't seem like some massive "disparity" to me.

2) Writers shouldn't have to create characters to meet some quota. Goes against the very nature of creativity.

Maybe he should be trying to swing from Latino or Asian cocks, instead of T'Challa's, there might be a superhero disparity in those ethnic groups. I also don't think there's any Inuit superheros.
And to add to that, despite the fact that they make up close to 1/7th of the world's population I can't think of even a handful of superheroes from the Indian Subcontinent.

Robtard

And to add to that, despite the fact that they make up close to 1/7th of the world's population I can't think of even a handful of superheroes from the Indian Subcontinent.

Liss is trying desperately to make an issue where there really isn't one. Probably in some vain attempt to draw attention to and bolster sales of Black Panther comics, which coincidentally he's manning. Hmmm...

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Robtard
Liss is trying desperately to make an issue where there really isn't one. Probably in some vain attempt to draw attention to and bolster sales of Black Panther comics, which coincidentally he's manning. Hmmm...
And to distract from the fact that he's probably (like me) a sheltered whitey, only one who doesn't want to admit it. stick out tongue

StyleTime

Deadline

srankmissingnin
I remember reading that something like 20-25% of people in New York (where most comics take place in Marvel) are a visible minority. Obviously one in four characters aren't, but the vast majority of those characters are decades old, from a time the statistics I'm sure were a lot different. That being said though I would point out that in terms of new character creation in the past decade or so, 1 in 4 being a visible minority seems about right. It might even be as high as 1 in 2. Seems like every time a new character gets made they are either a minority, or gay... I'm not sure if it's because publishers are trying to paint a more diverse and accurate portrait of the world, or if they still think that is "edgy".

Omega Vision
Homosexuals are a minority too. stick out tongue

srankmissingnin
Homosexuals are a minority too. stick out tongue

Not a visible minority... well... not always. embarrasment

Robtard
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Not a visible minority... well... not always. embarrasment

Your gaydar needs a tune-up.

Bentley
Obviously we need a crossdresser mainstream super hero.

psycho gundam
^ kang

StyleTime
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.