Apple Products

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bardock42
Continuing the discussion on Apple, that seems to have been killed with Whirly (which I think must have been an accident as it seems perfectly appropriate):

For newcomers, it's about the appeal of Apple Products and their pros and cons.

Symmetric Chaos
I don't like the mice or the OS and I don't have much use for a portable music player.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I don't like the mice or the OS and I don't have much use for a portable music player.

How come? Deaf?

inimalist
i don't think I've used the most recent osx platform, but I never found it really intuitive for things beyond really just basic use. I can imagine that might have changed now, especially considering how little of the hardware is proprietary.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
How come? Deaf?

Either I'm at home (use the computer), in the car (use the radio), or out doing something (in which case I usually have no use for music).

inimalist
blasphemy

RE: Blaxican
Either I'm at home (use the computer), in the car (use the radio), or out doing something (in which case I usually have no use for music). Easily solvable problem. Get a girlfriend, you'll soon wish you had something to drown her out with.

StyleTime
Well, you could drown her out with either of the devices he mentioned.

inimalist
tub of water works well imho

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by StyleTime
Well, you could drown her out with either of the devices he mentioned. You can't drown out a woman with speakers without blowing up the speakers.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
You can't drown out a woman with speakers without blowing up the speakers.

But you can knock her out.

Mindship
Either I'm at home (use the computer), in the car (use the radio), or out doing something (in which case I usually have no use for music). Ditto. I don't need music reverberating between my ears every free moment. Aside from giving me a clearer head, it also allows me to appreciate music that much more when I do choose to listen.

As for not getting bored: either I'll meditate (either walking or sitting), or I'll play with my absolutley-Incredible-I-can't-believe-it-does-all-this-crap Droid.

Darth Jello
Pros- Quality hardware, ease of use, better security, built in recording and video editing software, better stability.
Cons- Formatting, WMA files, Less left-hand friendly.

Thoren
I owned an iPhone before, while great, it wasn't something I miss right now. The OS is way too basic, and not customizable. As for the laptops, and desktops, well they're more useful, I use one at work, and love it very much.

But for my everyday use for entertainment away from my computer or Galaxy Tab, I prefer my SGS2, it's wonderful.

shiv
Originally posted by inimalist
tub of water works well imho

hot or cold?

lord xyz
It'll become obsolete in 2 years, you know.

eezy45
I've become an Apple user for a very pragmatic reason: I needed a computer for university, and I wanted it to be powerful, yet have good battery life. I didn't want to have 2 machines for different purposes. The 2010 13 inch MacBook Pro seemed like the perfect choice: Just 2 kilograms of weight, a maximum of 10hrs battery life (in reality, I did manage to work for 8:30, awesome enough), but a 2.4GHz Core 2 and a very powerful NVidia IGP (the 320M, exclusively for MacBooks). Of course, the aluminium unibody is rigid like no other machine.
My idea was to use OSX on the go to benefit from the great power management and to use Windows at home (natively via Bootcamp).
Now that I've been using it for 10 months, I have to admit I nearly never use Windows any more. Snow Leopard works great and much better in so many conditions (for example, WPA2-TTLS Wi-Fi networks), and it's practically immune to exploits on the internet. The scrolling via the huge, awesome multi-touch trackpad works like nothing I've used (inertial scrolling -> a fluent movement) and the other multi-touch gestures help a lot, and there are so many simple hotkeys to make your life easier... In short: Once you've gotten used to it, it's much faster and easier to work on OSX.
The downside is to have problems finding appropriate apps for everything you'd do on Windows, but this has gotten a lot better in the past years for Mac users.
The only thing I really use Windows for now is, obviously, gaming - the performance is vast for a 13 inch laptop, I can play nearly any 2010 game in native 1280x800 res at medium detail levels.

Oh, as for the iPhone, I just love the OS and I use a lot of those apps. The only other choice for me would have been Android. And I really only have the iPhone 4 because I got it really cheap from a friend who wanted to sell his. Again, the quality is outstanding.
stick out tongue

eezy45

Bardock42

dadudemon
Originally posted by eezy45
I've become an Apple user for a very pragmatic reason: I needed a computer for university, and I wanted it to be powerful, yet have good battery life. I didn't want to have 2 machines for different purposes. The 2010 13 inch MacBook Pro seemed like the perfect choice: Just 2 kilograms of weight, a maximum of 10hrs battery life (in reality, I did manage to work for 8:30, awesome enough), but a 2.4GHz Core 2 and a very powerful NVidia IGP (the 320M, exclusively for MacBooks). Of course, the aluminium unibody is rigid like no other machine.
My idea was to use OSX on the go to benefit from the great power management and to use Windows at home (natively via Bootcamp).
Now that I've been using it for 10 months, I have to admit I nearly never use Windows any more. Snow Leopard works great and much better in so many conditions (for example, WPA2-TTLS Wi-Fi networks), and it's practically immune to exploits on the internet. The scrolling via the huge, awesome multi-touch trackpad works like nothing I've used (inertial scrolling -> a fluent movement) and the other multi-touch gestures help a lot, and there are so many simple hotkeys to make your life easier... In short: Once you've gotten used to it, it's much faster and easier to work on OSX.
The downside is to have problems finding appropriate apps for everything you'd do on Windows, but this has gotten a lot better in the past years for Mac users.
The only thing I really use Windows for now is, obviously, gaming - the performance is vast for a 13 inch laptop, I can play nearly any 2010 game in native 1280x800 res at medium detail levels.

Oh, as for the iPhone, I just love the OS and I use a lot of those apps. The only other choice for me would have been Android. And I really only have the iPhone 4 because I got it really cheap from a friend who wanted to sell his. Again, the quality is outstanding.
stick out tongue

The aluminum unibody is one of the things I love about the Apple notebooks.

My HP, while quite beastly, is plastic and flimsy. One false move and it feels like it will snap. no expression

eezy45

shiv
Thanks for clearing that up.

rotiart
My family has had every iteration of iphone. I owned the 3g and 4.
My brother owns an android and so does a friend of my..

Honestly when I got the Iphone 4.. i felt hindered all the time. very very frustrated with the purchase as if something was missing. When I finally jailbroke the darn thing, installed cydia... i figured out what it was... functionality!!

just as an fyi though... my desktop is an emachine.. and my laptop is an asus...

and as an lol. my brothers wife "hated" her iphone 4... sold it.. used my brothers upgrade to get an android... was so disappointed by battery life... asked to use my upgrade to go back to an iphone 4...

i told her no. i'm waiting to see whats coming out this year. big grin

If you have an Iphone 4... you have to install springboard... and get springflash.. just for the flashlight app alone! ugh. and the ability to quickly turn on/off your wifi/3g/2g/bluetooth/gps attenna from anywhere is a battery lifesaver. i was so annoyed going into settings.. then etc etc etc.. for each individual thing!!!

other than springflash the only thing I really care about is mxtube for downloading youtube videos. I've found that when watching youtube on ANY phone, there is so much jitter i get annoyed. So with mxtube (i'm sure android probably has an equivalnet) i download the video... and its downloading in the background.. whenever its done i watch it jitter free. ahhhhhh...

eezy45
Originally posted by rotiart
If you have an Iphone 4... you have to install springboard... and get springflash.. just for the flashlight app alone! ugh. and the ability to quickly turn on/off your wifi/3g/2g/bluetooth/gps attenna from anywhere is a battery lifesaver. i was so annoyed going into settings..

Bullsh*. There are millions of flashlight apps in the app store available for free, some including strobe effects etc.
Also, ever used double tap? You can access settings from inside any app, turn off/on whatever you want, double tap again and go back. You sound like you're still on iPhone OS 3.x ...

alfordlee
I like APPLE Iphone...its really a good product by apple.

leonheartmm
apple- extremely overpriced, underpowered hardware, CRAPPY but reliable OS, well crafted/reliable/high quality batteries/construction/screens.

AsbestosFlaygon
My opinion of Apple products:
They're overpriced PoS.

Why the need to pay a premium for their products, when there are other alternatives that are comparable (or better) than theirs for half the price?

I have a Mac and 2 PCs (PC mainly for gaming, Linux as server), as well as an iPod (probably 1st or 2nd gen).
Mac OS X is only good for video/music editing.
If you aren't into photography or film-making or don't need all of that eye-candy, Windows or Linux is more than sufficient to fit all of your needs. And they're a lot cheaper too.

Hardware... you can buy heavy-duty housings for the PC.
The total expense will still be less than buying a brand new Mac.

In the end, the decision's still up to you (as they would always say).
But if you have enough money to invest for Apple products, why settle for something inferior when you can buy the best for less?

inimalist
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Mac OS X is only good for video/music editing.

whats so great about it for music?

AsbestosFlaygon
whats so great about it for music?
iTunes.

inimalist
iTunes.

ummm, I mean music editing

I write electronic music on PC, I'm interested in why you think it is easier or better on Macs

EDIT: itunes is a shit program anyways

AsbestosFlaygon
ummm, I mean music editing

I write electronic music on PC, I'm interested in why you think it is easier or better on Macs

EDIT: itunes is a shit program anyways

To be honest with you, I agree.
I was just being generous as to not start a flame war from Apple fans in this forum.

Audacity is a lot better than iTunes.

Darth Jello
What pisses me off lately is that Microsoft is trying to revitalize it's dying Zune platform by attracting exclusive content like podcasts. You can download iTunes for Windows but you can't download Zune on a Mac.
It sucks and for all the new customers it's going to give them (like anyone is gonna buy a PC or and XBOX 360 just to listen to Bryan Johnson and Walt Flanegan) they may as well start releasing content exclusive to the MSX or Commodore 64.

inimalist
To be honest with you, I agree.
I was just being generous as to not start a flame war from Apple fans in this forum.

Audacity is a lot better than iTunes.

lol, and cool edit or sound forge are better than audacity, but neither are really at the level of music or sound editing that I'm talking about

my question is more with regard to those apple fans, as "music" is something that, for some reason, apple people seem to think is better on mac products

like, I use reason, FLstudio, buzztracker, I have access to Cubase or protools, I have a fairly expensive external sound card for recording and encoding... I'm trying to figure out what it is that I'm missing... because afaik, I would destroy a mac in terms of what my sound stuff can do...

AsbestosFlaygon

like, I use reason, FLstudio, buzztracker, I have access to Cubase or protools, I have a fairly expensive external sound card for recording and encoding... I'm trying to figure out what it is that I'm missing... because afaik, I would destroy a mac in terms of what my sound stuff can do...

Lol. You definitely would.

Those software are definitely better than Audacity.
But I'm an open source advocate.

inimalist
But I'm an open source advocate.

buzz tracker my friend XD

ableton has some add-ons that allow you to actually build and design synths in the program (man, I need to learn Ableton....)

and there are always VSTs XD XD XD

eezy45
Whats better about Mac for music production? Ask any major producer! The answer is Logic Studio. Audacity is a piece of shit compared.
Cubase does the trick but Logic is much crisper and easier to mix. The results are brilliant.

inimalist
Whats better about Mac for music production? Ask any major producer! The answer is Logic Studio. Audacity is a piece of shit compared.
Cubase does the trick but Logic is much crisper and easier to mix. The results are brilliant.

what makes Logic superior to anything available on PCs?

EDIT: the best thing I can find is that they brag about packaging it with lots of premade instrument loops... so what? it is better for cut and paste music production? lulz. Reason has the same effects, Ableton allows you to create your own synths, FLstudio has a far more intuitive drum input system, Soundforge or Cooledit seem to have all the same wav editing functions, and if you can get over the lack of a fancy graphical interface, BuzzTracker eats it for lunch. Like all apple products, it seems like its only real attracting quality is that it looks flashy

if the advantage is that it is all put together in the same program, well, thats hardly an advantage... you know, jack of all trades versus finding the most applicable program for what you want to do

AsbestosFlaygon
buzz tracker my friend XD

ableton has some add-ons that allow you to actually build and design synths in the program (man, I need to learn Ableton....)

and there are always VSTs XD XD XD

jeskola buzz? i'll try it out and see for myself.

inimalist
jeskola buzz? i'll try it out and see for myself.

the learning curve is pretty steep, and tbh, I don't know how to program stuff, so I don't know a lot about it

all I know is that there is a really vibrant community that are constantly releasing new effects and synths all the time

Eternal Idol
Pros: There's a glowing apple on it.

Cons: You could have gotten a much better machine for about half the price you paid for that glowing apple.

Faith20

rotiart
Bullsh*. There are millions of flashlight apps in the app store available for free, some including strobe effects etc.
Also, ever used double tap? You can access settings from inside any app, turn off/on whatever you want, double tap again and go back. You sound like you're still on iPhone OS 3.x ...

It's not bull. It sounds more like you haven't used the program so you are talking out of your....

It's faster and more convenient. You are simply ignorant. And btw I'm on 4.2

leonheartmm
for the amount of money you get an entry level macbook pro, you can get a high end 17 inch full hd hp or acer laptop with superior graphics/processor/ram/blu ray

eezy45
Logic Studio is not simply used for making electronic music, but mainly of course as a big recording and post-processing suite. If you're into metal, you could check out Ola Englund's site ( www.olaenglund.com ). He records everything at home and edits/cuts/processes using Logic 9. And he gets the best out of his guitars imo, it sounds like straight from major studios.

inimalist
sound quality from inputs is a matter of your soundcard and system hardware, not really of the software...

the program isn't what makes the guitar sound crisp, but rather proper wire, mics and a sound processor.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.