How long do people normally visit gravesites?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sai1
Just wanted to get some opinions. Is there some point at which it could be unhealthy? What about someone who has gone every week for the past 6 years?

Lord Lucien
Sounds like someone has a hard time moving on.

immaturerainbow
I live in a graveyard, so forever.

Rogue Jedi
aaahahahaha

Bicnarok
Once at the funeral. No point visiting an empty shell imo.

Rogue Jedi
Same. I never saw the point.

The Dark Cloud
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Once at the funeral. No point visiting an empty shell imo.

I agree, but not everybody sees it that way. My sisters husband died about 18 months ago, she visits the cemetary once a week. I do understand to a point, after an abusive first husband and a series of loser boyfriends she finally finds a great guy and he dies suddenly 5 years into their marriage.

seCrawler
Havent been in years.

Mindship
Originally posted by Sai1
Just wanted to get some opinions. Is there some point at which it could be unhealthy? What about someone who has gone every week for the past 6 years? Is this person functioning well in the rest of their life? Holding a job? Has positive relationships with live people? Can go to a funny movie and laugh? Eating well, sleeping well? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

StephenJondrew
For me it depends on who I'm with. If I'm with a group of people I just want to pay my respects and go; however, if I'm by myself I often just stay for awhile, sit/stand, etc, thinking about life, sometimes talking things out.

That being said, other times I just pay my respects and go when I'm by myself too.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Mindship
Is this person functioning well in the rest of their life? Holding a job? Has positive relationships with live people? Can go to a funny movie and laugh? Eating well, sleeping well? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

RE: Blaxican
I've got dat Jehovah's Witness apathy about death, so I don't even see the point in visiting someone's grave.

ADarksideJedi
I don't vist as offen as I should. Once in awhile I bring flowers to my Grandparent's graves but the graveyard spooks me out so I don't go near it too offen.

jaden101
I still tend my Grandparents graves and 3 of them died nearly 15 years ago...It's just the done thing in my family...We tend the graves of my Grandparents grandparents....Only takes a couple of hours a week...It's a mark of respect...Doesn't mean we still grieve over them.

Thoren
I think it's nice to visit graves of loved ones.

Lord Lucien
Cremation would solve all this grave visiting.

Thoren
Oh you are dark.

Mindset
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Cremation would solve all this grave visiting. And then snort the ashes or make them into coffee and drink it.

Lord Lucien
That way they'll live on inside you. Forever.

Grate the Vraya
I've heard you can get corpses of loved ones turned in to diamonds and shit like that too. And, if advertising is honest (of course it is) diamonds last forever, so that's kinda sweet.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Grate the Vraya
I've heard you can get corpses of loved ones turned in to diamonds and shit like that too. And, if advertising is honest (of course it is) diamonds last forever, so that's kinda sweet. "... the business concept was simple: Humans are made of carbon, diamonds are made of carbon. Why not make diamonds out of humans?"

Grate the Vraya
"... the business concept was simple: Humans are made of carbon, diamonds are made of carbon. Why not make diamonds out of humans?" By that logic, we should make humans in to quite a bunch of shit after they pass away.

Lord Lucien
Chocolate milk mix startin' to sound pretty good.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
I agree, but not everybody sees it that way. My sisters husband died about 18 months ago, she visits the cemetary once a week. I do understand to a point, after an abusive first husband and a series of loser boyfriends she finally finds a great guy and he dies suddenly 5 years into their marriage.

Now that is really sad, poor woman sad

I can see why that can help, slowly letting go.

ADarksideJedi
Cremation would solve all this grave visiting.

My Grandparents were cremated but you can still leave flowers near them at the bottom since they are all the way up on top. smile

Bicnarok

Lord Lucien
Scatter the ashes. Leave no place of memorial.

Symmetric Chaos
I've heard you can get corpses of loved ones turned in to diamonds and shit like that too. And, if advertising is honest (of course it is) diamonds last forever, so that's kinda sweet.

There's a blood diamond joke in there but I'm too tired to find it.

By that logic, we should make humans in to quite a bunch of shit after they pass away.

And we have.

There's a temple made of bones. The creator of the frisbee was made into a pointlessly creepy batch of frisbees (as per his will). There are rare cases of human skin being used as leather for a book's binding. You can buy pencils with graphite made from human ashes. Real human teeth were used as part of Damien Hurst's scuplture "For the Love of God". The bodies of loved ones can be incorporated into small clay sculptures.

I think the most awesome use of bits of a human is by Marc Quinn. He didn't even wait until he died to make a sculpture out of his own blood. Actually, I'm surprised Cracked has never mentioned him. Not nearly as gross as it sounds: http://img.weburbanist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/body-art-marc-quinn.jpg

Grate the Vraya
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
There's a blood diamond joke in there but I'm too tired to find it.

And we have.

There's a temple made of bones. The creator of the frisbee was made into a pointlessly creepy batch of frisbees (as per his will). There are rare cases of human skin being used as leather for a book's binding. You can buy pencils with graphite made from human ashes. Real human teeth were used as part of Damien Hurst's scuplture "For the Love of God". The bodies of loved ones can be incorporated into small clay sculptures.

I think the most awesome use of bits of a human is by Marc Quinn. He didn't even wait until he died to make a sculpture out of his own blood. Actually, I'm surprised Cracked has never mentioned him. Not nearly as gross as it sounds: http://img.weburbanist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/body-art-marc-quinn.jpg No, that's just about as gross as I was expecting :X

Mindset
I've heard you can get corpses of loved ones turned in to diamonds and shit like that too. And, if advertising is honest (of course it is) diamonds last forever, so that's kinda sweet. Are you suggesting I murder my family and turn them into diamonds?

Grate the Vraya
Originally posted by Mindset
Are you suggesting I murder my family and turn them into diamonds? That's not not what I'm suggesting. -slips business card-

King Kandy
I don't think I ever would. Rather, I think I would make a shrine in my own house, if I felt it was needed.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Mindset
Are you suggesting I murder my family and turn them into diamonds? If you plan on artificially inflating the diamond market. You white collar bastard.

0mega Spawn
I usually stay 2 or 3 days depending on how durable the corpse is wink

ADarksideJedi
I had read that the amish leave the body of there love ones in there house until they buriel them days later. That is kind of creepy.

Grate the Vraya
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I had read that the amish leave the body of there love ones in there house until they buriel them days later. That is kind of creepy. Nit really. Everyone used to do tht before modern medicine which impretty sure the amish dont partake in.

King Kandy
I like the zoroastrian style. Just leave them out for vultures.

rotiart
Well i'm asian, but i'm not sure if everyone does this or its just my family... we keep my grandparents pictures on the mantle...
you pray to them every year in remembrance and ask for help and guidance in the coming times.
we don't do it as often now... but i could see carrying that tradition if anything happens to them. it really scares me to even think they won't be here one day.

as far as dating etc goes.. i think its similar to being broken up with... except in breakups you can ask them why they left.. and sometimes get an answer for closure..

in death.. you have to find your own.. and wonder at the cruelness of a world that would take your happiness from you like that when you finally found it.

Lord Lucien
I don't think it was a conscious decision by the world...

ADarksideJedi
Nit really. Everyone used to do tht before modern medicine which impretty sure the amish dont partake in.

They do go look up amish and then tell me if they don't do it anymore. smile

Quiero Mota
That way they'll live on inside you. Forever.

One of my friends' son was killed in a car accident, so then he got a picture of him tatted on his chest, portrait-style. And his ashes were mixed in with the ink, so that his son is literally with him everywhere he goes.

Mindship
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
One of my friends' son was killed in a car accident, so then he got a picture of him tatted on his chest, portrait-style. And his ashes were mixed in with the ink, so that his son is literally with him everywhere he goes. That's pretty cool, actually.

King Kandy
Sounds creepy to me. I would definitely not want that done with my ashes.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
One of my friends' son was killed in a car accident, so then he got a picture of him tatted on his chest, portrait-style. And his ashes were mixed in with the ink, so that his son is literally with him everywhere he goes. Badass. Much better than digesting them.

DM613
It took ages for me to get my gamertag linked, because EA site bugged for me. I finally got it to work not so long ago, and am finally able to see screenshots I've taken. And those were taken by accident, when I didn't know how to take 'em (only noticed the feature when "achievement unlocked" popped on my screen, for unlocking the one that you get from taking 3 screenshots). So they are mostly just closeups of ground, with couple knifekills

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.