Create a Gauntlet: Willpower

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cogito
Rank these characters based on their willpower.

The players:
- Captain America
- Superman
- Darkseid
- Thanos
- Hal
- Kyle
- Alan Scott
- Galactus
- Dr. Doom
- Thor
- Someone else

Note: This list is totally subjective. There's no real way to rank feats of will. Apologies for the three GLs, but it had to be done.

Harbinger
Doom.

/thread

Sin I AM
Thing apparently has great willpower but i dont see it

id go with Cap

Cogito
1. Thor
He's got will, but against this lineup he goes at the bottom

2. Dr. Doom
Strong, but not the top among bad guys let alone heroes.

3. Kyle/Hal/Alan Scott
Not sure exactly how to rank the GLs. Hal > Kyle, I think, although I don't necessarily think Hal would win in a fight. Alan's a grey area.

4. Captain America
...is Captain America

5. Thanos/Darkseid
Both have incredible willpower feats. I keep going back and forth between who I think might have the edge here.

6. Superman
Yes, Superman is top dog. He will always rise to the occasion - That's who he is.

Not Ranked: Galactus.

Digi
Best:
Alan Scott

Doom/Superman

Hal/Cap
Thanos
Thor/Kyle
Worst:

...which is misleading, because everyone on this list has superb willpower. No shame in Thor/Kyle's position here, they're still in the upper echelon of will.

Purposely didn't rank Big G or Darkseid. No clue there.

Bouboumaster
1- Galactus
So much willpower that even Death can kill him permantly.

2- Dr Doom / Silver Surfer / Hal Jordan
Based on the "Marquis of Death" thing for Doom, for the incredible feat of Surfer kicking Thanos ass in the Astral plane and for general badassery for Jordan

3- Thanos / Darkseid / Alan Scott / Thor / Superman

4- Kyle / Captain America / Bruce Wayne / Tony Stark

ares834
Superman or Alan Scott should be first. Doom will be behind these two.

Cogito
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
1- Galactus

Based on the "Marquis of Death" thing for Doom, for the incredible feat of Surfer kicking Thanos ass in the Astral plane and for general badassery for Jordan

Interesting. I would be tempted to put Galactus first, based on the "abstracts are on a whole different level" argument. So in theory, he belongs on top but in reality, and in writing, I just don't see him toping some of these heroes.

Also interesting putting Surfer on top of pretty much every other hero. I thought about adding him to the list, as well as a few others, but I didn't want to overwhelm people with options thumb up

SquallX
Shock to see no one mentioning Darkseid. The man will power, not shown alot, but it's pretty high.

His three best showing too me.
1. When he first gain the Omega Effect.
2. When his wife was killed by Deesad. Darkseid actually loved her, and that was the weakness his mother feared, because Darkseid was actually going soft.
3. In Loeb's run, after Darkseid lost the OE. Deesad when he gain said OE almost when insane by having it for just a second.

Not saying ugly has the best willpower, but he is up there, even if his showing are few.

Digi
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
1- Galactus

I think you'd be hard pressed to back the Galactus ranking on strictly feat-based terms. Most, perhaps all, of what he does is directly related to his power level, not willpower. Willpower implies overcoming you wouldn't normally be able to. Galactus can spar with abstracts because he's on that level, not because he's willing himself onto a level playing field.

Lulz at Hal above Alan. Same level, maybe. But that's about it.

Interesting that you put Surfer above Superman and cite a single feat for it. Superman's history of will would likely beg to differ.

And an odd appearance for Tony. Even at his most brash, Tony himself wouldn't put himself on level with Cap in this department.

Simbon
Oddly enough, Kang has one of the best willpower feats. He once resisted the time-keepers through will power alone, and ended up physically separating from his future self.

JakeTheBank
Steve/Alan/Superman/Doom

Simbon
Willpower on display:
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3586/zarrkopizza.jpg

Mindset
There isn't a character in existence that has more willpower than Doom.

carver9
Originally posted by Cogito
Rank these characters based on their willpower.

The players:
- Captain America
- Superman
- Darkseid
- Thanos
- Hal
- Kyle
- Alan Scott
- Galactus
- Dr. Doom
- Thor
- Someone else

Note: This list is totally subjective. There's no real way to rank feats of will. Apologies for the three GLs, but it had to be done.

Superman is number one, the rest, I can't rank the rest.

SquallX
Originally posted by Mindset
There isn't a character in existence that has more willpower than Doom.

laughing
had my laugh, not going to bed.

Mindset
If facts make you laugh you must love encyclopedias.

Bouboumaster
Originally posted by Digi
I think you'd be hard pressed to back the Galactus ranking on strictly feat-based terms. Most, perhaps all, of what he does is directly related to his power level, not willpower. Willpower implies overcoming you wouldn't normally be able to. Galactus can spar with abstracts because he's on that level, not because he's willing himself onto a level playing field.

Lulz at Hal above Alan. Same level, maybe. But that's about it.

Interesting that you put Surfer above Superman and cite a single feat for it. Superman's history of will would likely beg to differ.

And an odd appearance for Tony. Even at his most brash, Tony himself wouldn't put himself on level with Cap in this department.

1- I see what you mean. But Galactus has a history of fighting to the end when he has to. When the fight isn't worth it, he won't go for it (I think when he fought the Pheonix) but there's a lot of feat where Galactus willpower is shown. The first that came to my mind was this one instance where him, Surfer, Strange, etc, were dead, and Death herself said that she wasn't able to diffinitively kill Galactus because of his enormous will to live.

2- IMO, I think that Hal Jordan is the GL with the most willpower ever displayed. Maybe you're right, you're more into DC that myself for sure, but it was only my opinion.

3- Surfer has tons of feat, but I named what I think was his greatest, in which, he outwill Thanos. And we all know what kind of Willpower Thanos has.

4- Probably that Stark wouldn't say he's equal to Captain America, but again, it's just my opinion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.