Superboy Prime Vs Sentinel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prep-Man
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/15293/325388-95746-superman-prime_large.jpg

vs

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/37527/1485735-jsa_042_0022_large.jpg

Digi
Based on portrayal, SBP. If we go feat by feat, who knows. It took a damn lot to ever put down SBP though. His tussle with Monarch and multi-team wrecking (including Ion?) gives him a majority imo. Alan's definitely a notch above high heralds, but there's still distinctions between and within groups of team-wreckers, and I don't see him quite on SBP's level.

Cogito
Originally posted by Digi
Based on portrayal, SBP. If we go feat by feat, who knows. It took a damn lot to ever put down SBP though. His tussle with Monarch and multi-team wrecking (including Ion?) gives him a majority imo. Alan's definitely a notch above high heralds, but there's still distinctions between and within groups of team-wreckers, and I don't see him quite on SBP's level.

Agreed. SBP's magic resistance gives him the edge over Sentinel. I don't necessarily think that means he's as powerful in the grand scheme of things though...

Uriel005
Originally posted by Cogito
Agreed. SBP's magic resistance gives him the edge over Sentinel. I don't necessarily think that means he's as powerful in the grand scheme of things though... SBP's dickery is both overrated and underrated on this forum imo. More often then not I find myself arguing for him when I really shouldn't just because of how blatently people seem to blast the emo little b*stard and try to undercut his more impressive feats. Still haven't found someone on panel who managed to beat him in a straight fight without a weakness abuse or firing a PIS cannon at him.

Mindset
Originally posted by Uriel005
SBP's dickery is both overrated and underrated on this forum imo. More often then not I find myself arguing for him when I really shouldn't just because of how blatently people seem to blast the emo little b*stard and try to undercut his more impressive feats. Still haven't found someone on panel who managed to beat him in a straight fight without a weakness abuse or firing a PIS cannon at him. Monarch would have beaten a stronger SBP if not for his weakness being used.

carver9
Didn't Monarch temporarily ko Prime?

Mindset
I don't remember, I know he was beating that ass though.

Omega Vision
If he had taken Prime seriously Monarch definitely would have put Prime down...its just a testament to Prime's durability/damage soak that he lasted so long.

Sundipped
Originally posted by Omega Vision
If he had taken Prime seriously Monarch definitely would have put Prime down...its just a testament to Prime's durability/damage soak that he lasted so long.

What makes you think he wasn't taking Prime seriously?

celeyhyga17
SBP

Sundipped
Originally posted by carver9
Didn't Monarch temporarily ko Prime?

Prime mentioned that Monarch's quantum blast hurt but he was never shown to be koed.

Omega Vision
I don't think he was Temp KOed by the city-destroying blast, I think he was momentarily winded. Obviously it had enough of an effect that he didn't immediately come at Monarch, but Prime was pretty much unscathed and fully conscious when the smoke cleared.
Originally posted by Sundipped
What makes you think he wasn't taking Prime seriously?
Umm...the fact that he wasn't exerting himself basically the entire time, the fact that he was constantly mocking and taunting Prime and acting like a High School kid slapping around an uppity Middle Schooler.

Hell it wasn't until Prime actually started to tear up his suit that he got a 'Oh Shit' face.

I think Monarch's deal was that he didn't think that Prime would be stupid enough to try to tear his suit apart. It took him by surprise. I see no reason why had he been expecting the tactic Monarch couldn't have blasted or knocked Prime away.

Zack Fair

Sundipped
I don't think he was Temp KOed by the city-destroying blast, I think he was momentarily winded. Obviously it had enough of an effect that he didn't immediately come at Monarch, but Prime was pretty much unscathed and fully conscious when the smoke cleared.

Umm...the fact that he wasn't exerting himself basically the entire time, the fact that he was constantly mocking and taunting Prime and acting like a High School kid slapping around an uppity Middle Schooler.

Hell it wasn't until Prime actually started to tear up his suit that he got a 'Oh Shit' face.

I think Monarch's deal was that he didn't think that Prime would be stupid enough to try to tear his suit apart. It took him by surprise. I see no reason why had he been expecting the tactic Monarch couldn't have blasted or knocked Prime away.

Again... how do you know he wasn't exerting himself? You can't tell because he's got a mask on. He wasn't exerting himself while smacking the alternate earth SM's around. With Prime there's a difference. You act as if this was just a walk in the park. It wasn't. Hell Prime got more shots in than Monarch. Monarch just had that one big quantum blast which was ineffective.

Easy to say that if Monarch expected Prime to pull his suit off, he coulda stopped it. He was just standing there. It was no suprise. Instead of taunting a foe who could obviously hang with him he should've been more focused.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Sundipped
Again... how do you know he wasn't exerting himself? You can't tell because he's got a mask on. He wasn't exerting himself while smacking the alternate earth SM's around. With Prime there's a difference. You act as if this was just a walk in the park. It wasn't. Hell Prime got more shots in than Monarch. Monarch just had that one big quantum blast which was ineffective.

Easy to say that if Monarch expected Prime to pull his suit off, he coulda stopped it. He was just standing there. It was no suprise. Instead of taunting a foe who could obviously hang with him he should've been more focused.
Lol, despite the fact that the mask was rigid the art did manage to communicate a number of emotions with it, such as surprise/shock when Prime survived his blast and bemusement at basically everything Prime did. Monarch wasn't exerting himself because he fought Prime at his leisure and clearly believed that a rather tiny, casual blast would have killed him. He was wrong of course, but there's no reason to think that the blast that destroyed the city was anywhere close to the best he could do when we saw a weaker version of Monarch casually destroy a continent with a gesture.

I would argue he took the alternate Supermen more seriously than he did Prime. And besides, he was vastly more powerful when he fought Prime and vastly more arrogant.

Monarch was arrogant, there's no denying that. But he was still taunting Prime even while Prime was grabbing his armor, implying that he didn't take him seriously or think he'd try to rupture the armor until it was too late. He was surprised, because if Monarch had known Prime's intent was to rupture the armor he's not so stupid that he'd waste his precious time taunting the kid.

Batman-Prime
The way I remembered it he was toying with SBP. I reread the fight just now and Monarch had real troubles with SBP. He felt his punches and HV. He just started to mock and toy with him when the amp wore off. But even then SBP was dangerous. It's like he tried to demoralize SBP.

Sundipped
Lol, despite the fact that the mask was rigid the art did manage to communicate a number of emotions with it, such as surprise/shock when Prime survived his blast and bemusement at basically everything Prime did. Monarch wasn't exerting himself because he fought Prime at his leisure and clearly believed that a rather tiny, casual blast would have killed him. He was wrong of course, but there's no reason to think that the blast that destroyed the city was anywhere close to the best he could do when we saw a weaker version of Monarch casually destroy a continent with a gesture.

I would argue he took the alternate Supermen more seriously than he did Prime. And besides, he was vastly more powerful when he fought Prime and vastly more arrogant.

Monarch was arrogant, there's no denying that. But he was still taunting Prime even while Prime was grabbing his armor, implying that he didn't take him seriously or think he'd try to rupture the armor until it was too late. He was surprised, because if Monarch had known Prime's intent was to rupture the armor he's not so stupid that he'd waste his precious time taunting the kid.

Let's look at it this way, Monarch underestimated him. I wouldn't say he showed total bemusement towards Primes attacks though. If you ask me he was having a hard time. He managed only 1 quantum blast and explosion.

If you have an arrogant nature it's still plausible to taunt an opponent even though he's around or beyond your own power level. He would still be hard pressed to beat you and vice versa.

It was of combination of Prime's speed (he did manage to dodge 2 quantum blasts on that last panel) and Monarch's distraction noticing the amp wear off which caused him to get his armor ripped off.

Mindset
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
The way I remembered it he was toying with SBP. I reread the fight just now and Monarch had real troubles with SBP. He felt his punches and HV. He just started to mock and toy with him when the amp wore off. But even then SBP was dangerous. It's like he tried to demoralize SBP. SMP barely did anything to him.

SBP w/o the amp would have been nothing to him.

Batman-Prime
Originally posted by Mindset
SMP barely did anything to him.

SBP w/o the amp would have been nothing to him.

He punched him around, Monarch shielded himself with his arms against the HV blast and gave even an sound like pain from him. But yeah, in the end it was all nothing. Though he was suprised that he only hurt SBP but din't do any lasting damage, when he let off his big explosion, SBP had nailed him to the ground btw.

Monarch didn't appeared very superior at the beginning, only in the end.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.