A 51st State

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Dark Cloud
And it's not Puerto Rico or Israel

I know nothing will come of this but I think it's funny that it gets brought up every few years to break California up in one way or another.

Mairuzu
If they don't do it, the earthquakes will

Thoren
It's actually a clever plan to get rid of the Mexicans.

inimalist
is this about republicans wanting some of the electoral college votes from california?

The Dark Cloud
Originally posted by inimalist
is this about republicans wanting some of the electoral college votes from california?

Probably, but it'll never happen

Grate the Vraya
It's a good idea politically but not good for either of the potential states' economies, and, as my favorite history teacher said nearly every day, "The average American voter's first priority is always his pocketbook," so I doubt anything will result from this movement. However, it's still an interesting idea and an interesting story.

King Kandy
Originally posted by inimalist
That might be part of it... but I think it really has more to do with state politics than federal elections.

This doesn't seem like that unreasonable of an idea.

Darth Jello
Disneyland's already semiautonomous. My vote would be for governor Pooh.

King Kandy
I wish governor timothy leary had become a reality.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by King Kandy
I wish governor timothy leary had become a reality. Hunter S. Thompson ran for mayor up here against a conservative. He ended up shaving his head and running his campaign by telling people not to vote for the "long haired hippy".

Symmetric Chaos
It really should be DC that becomes the next state.

Grate the Vraya
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
It really should be DC that becomes the next state. Now, THAT is a good idea.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Mairuzu
If they don't do it, the earthquakes will

Argee! smile

Symmetric Chaos
Turns out we only have 49 states this whole time:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/fine-print-north-dakota-may-not-state-195631502.html

Grate the Vraya
It'd be funny if they didn't get the popular vote on the legislation, just because...

Darth Truculent
My state is thinking of breaking in two right now: California.

Grate the Vraya
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
My state is thinking of breaking in two right now: California. Yeah, that's kinda what this whole thread is about bucko.

inimalist
idk, given the whole Quebec context here, I'm not sure that dividing places along cultural lines is a good way to go about dividing a nation

King Kandy
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Turns out we only have 49 states this whole time:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/fine-print-north-dakota-may-not-state-195631502.html
Ohio didn't officially become a state until 1953 (retroactive to 1803).

The Dark Cloud
Texas is only a state by treaty and it must be renewed every year.

King Kandy
I think Texas should split into five states for the hell of it. They have a provision allowing them to do so.

Quiero Mota
The capital cities of pretty much all countries that are divided into states, aren't in or a part of any of the states. Washington DC, Mexico City, Brasilia, Canberra, New Dehli; they're all their own entities in a Federal District seperate from all the states. Kinda weird.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.