Casey Anthony

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Dark Cloud
Normally I try not to follow stories like this as they are happening (though I will watch documentaries like on Discovery which are far more objective several years after the fact) but with the very extensive media coverage it's hard not to.

While it's very sad and and unfortunate a little girl died and was probably murdered by her mother the jury has spoken, unlike the OJ trial there was no hard physical evidence in this case. I'm not so riled up because Casey was not some rich celebrity or executive who are always above the law. The jury obviously found reasonable doubt.
Several things irk me about this case. Casey was convicted in the court of public opinion, based on sensational media coverage, long before she went to trial.
Secondly, if the child had been named LaShanda and had lived in the projects in the Bronx it's doubtful her death would have garnered little more than a two paragraph article on the third page of the New York times. Face it, this type of thing happens a lot, so why are millions (literally) of people now calling out for Casey's head.
Where's the outrage at the children killed by bombs in Iraq?
This woman's life is basically over, everywhere she goes people will recognize her and she will be shunned, and unlike OJ she does not have the money to carry on with her life.

I think everybody loses her, except the media conglomerates who have probably made billions hyping this up.

Thoughts?

Mindship
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
While it's very sad and and unfortunate a little girl died and was probably murdered by her mother the jury has spoken ... The jury obviously found reasonable doubt. I suspect involuntary manslaughter. But yeah, the jury has spoken. And as O. W. Holmes Jr. might've said, Casey was found Not Guilty in a court of law, not a court of justice.
I think everybody loses her, except the media conglomerates who have probably made billions hyping this up. God Bless America.

Digi
Originally posted by Mindship
And as O. W. Holmes Jr. might've said, Casey was found Not Guilty in a court of law, not a court of justice.

One thing I found when I was on a jury for a relatively high-profile attempted murder case (not so much nationally, but on local and state levels there was just as much outcry over it because of injuries caused to those involved), is that people did not know as much as they thought they did about the case. Once it was over, I got to discuss it with friends and acquaintances, and it was clear that they had made some wild assumptions about the people involved, and also about the guilt of those on trial. It was also clear which way the media coverage had slanted...though I of course wasn't aware of it until after the case was over.

In ours, we found them guilty. There was no wiggle room for reasonable doubt. But it had to be constructed methodically over a period of days, and including dozens of accounts, pieces of evidence, testimonies, arguments, DNA, laws, etc. etc. Hell, one of the two on trial was only guilty in my eyes because of how the specific state law on the matter was worded (it dealt with complicity). If only a small number of those things had not been present, the outcome could have (and likely would have) been much different, which a much different backlash from the public.

We have among the highest conviction rates in the world in the US among nations that use a peer jury system. I'm not saying this girl is innocent necessarily, I didn't follow the case too well. But I'm suspicious of such "obvious" guilt when those asked to scrutinize it most closely didn't find it.

King Kandy
I think people are being ridiculous. They couldn't prove she did it before a jury, so I think people should lay off the criticism. She's gone to a higher authority than public opinion.

mac-11
I'm not even certain why so many people care so much about the outcome of this case. Individuals who followed the case through news reports and other means should not be so surprised. The people who irritated me the most were the ones who said they were "shocked" or "speechless" about the rulings.

People built up expectation of her being guilty because that's how the media attempted to portray the case. Most of the individuals sitting at home, watching the case being covered on television probably had little to no knowledge about the case itself and saying that she "should have been guilty" is absurd.

Mindship
Originally posted by Digi
One thing I found when I was on a jury for a relatively high-profile attempted murder case (not so much nationally, but on local and state levels there was just as much outcry over it because of injuries caused to those involved), is that people did not know as much as they thought they did about the case. Once it was over, I got to discuss it with friends and acquaintances, and it was clear that they had made some wild assumptions about the people involved, and also about the guilt of those on trial. It was also clear which way the media coverage had slanted...though I of course wasn't aware of it until after the case was over.

In ours, we found them guilty. There was no wiggle room for reasonable doubt. But it had to be constructed methodically over a period of days, and including dozens of accounts, pieces of evidence, testimonies, arguments, DNA, laws, etc. etc. Hell, one of the two on trial was only guilty in my eyes because of how the specific state law on the matter was worded (it dealt with complicity). If only a small number of those things had not been present, the outcome could have (and likely would have) been much different, which a much different backlash from the public.

We have among the highest conviction rates in the world in the US among nations that use a peer jury system. I'm not saying this girl is innocent necessarily, I didn't follow the case too well. But I'm suspicious of such "obvious" guilt when those asked to scrutinize it most closely didn't find it. Interesting perspective. I've never served, though I've gotten closer each time I've been summoned. I have a feeling, next time they'll get me.

I didn't follow this case too well either, but my wife did, and she agrees with the verdict. I do too--from a technical standpoint; but I feel this case was off on the wrong foot from the start, by trying to paint Casey as more of a monster than she really is. I think the prosecution overreached while the media plucked away at everyone's heartstrings.

Impediment
I hear she's getting her own reality show.

dadudemon
From what evidence I read (wiki), the only thing she was guilty of was being a shitty mom.

Murderer is not one of those.

I still don't see what the big deal was. I think a few national reporters just went ape shit when they heard about it and this is why it turned into something beyond a SINGLE evening news story only in the local town/area.

BackFire
They made a mistake by going for the death penalty. The evidence wasn't strong enough to take her life over it, even though I've not heard anything that makes me think she didn't kill her child.

The Dark Cloud
Originally posted by dadudemon

I still don't see what the big deal was. I think a few national reporters just went ape shit when they heard about it and this is why it turned into something beyond a SINGLE evening news story only in the local town/area.

Nancy Grace has beat this story to death for 3 years now. I hope she enjoys her bonus check.

dadudemon
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
Nancy Grace has beat this story to death for 3 years now. I hope she enjoys her bonus check.

She is.

Also, if you watch her when she talks about it...she seems almost sexually aroused.

inimalist
so, is it a good thing or not that this is the first I've heard of this case?

half of me feels like I'm glad I missed some nonsense media storm, the other half feels like I'm living in a cave...

Symmetric Chaos
It always scares me how certain people get about these cases despite their almost complete lack of knowledge about the facts. I've heard that cases like this end up requiring extra protection for the defendant to keep away people who want to "fix" the justice system.

Quark_666
Heard that on the news, did ya? Well I heard that talking to the neighbors. Inimalist, we're all better off in caves.

ADarksideJedi
I was waiting for someone to bring this up. It is very sad that she was found not guity and I have no idea what the stupid jury was thinking inorder for them to say that she was not guity. I mean a little girl is still dead and it is like saying that the girl dead herself who is the murder if not the mother?

Mairuzu
Everyone in the world hates her. Im sure she didnt purposely kill the child. Shes probably scared for her life. Sure she'll get money out of it, but at a cost.

Just a dumb ass broad that overdosed her child on chloroform and tried covering it up.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
who is the murder if not the mother?

Why does there have to be a murderer at all?

Mindship
Originally posted by inimalist

half of me feels like I'm glad I missed some nonsense media storm, the other half feels like I'm living in a cave... Btw, OJ Simpson was found not guilty of murder in 1995...just in case.

Also, if you watch her when she talks about it...she seems almost sexually aroused. Her and her BFF, Angry Jane. I don't think it's possible for either of them to say "Caylee Anthony" without the word "Little" first.

inimalist
Btw, OJ Simpson was found not guilty of murder in 1995...just in case.

you mean the guy from Naked Gun?

Mindship
The Oreo, yeah.

King Kandy
I was waiting for someone to bring this up. It is very sad that she was found not guity and I have no idea what the stupid jury was thinking inorder for them to say that she was not guity. I mean a little girl is still dead and it is like saying that the girl dead herself who is the murder if not the mother?
But see, in the US we have something called "presumption of innocence". Which means even if you really, really think someone committed a crime, you still have to prove it.

inimalist
The Oreo, yeah.

hzTeLePbB08

Darth Jello
I haven't been following this case because you know, it's not really news. But what boggles my mind is how people always blame supposed slick defense attorneys when in supposedly open and shut cases like this, if the defendant wins it's usually due to an incompetent prosecutor.

The Dark Cloud
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I haven't been following this case

when in supposedly open and shut cases like this,

/facepalm

Darth Jello
I said supposedly. I'm sorry, I'm far more interested in seeing Shawna Forde beheaded than this nonesense.

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist

half of me feels like I'm glad I missed some nonsense media storm, the other half feels like I'm living in a cave...

That's REALLY good that you just now heard of this case.

I didn't hear about it until I read about it from one of my friends on facebook a few weeks ago.

who is the murder if not the mother?

Apparently, no one. She drowned.

WhiteWitchKing

Because when a child is dead, it couldn't be anything else but murder.

ADarksideJedi
That's REALLY good that you just now heard of this case.

I didn't hear about it until I read about it from one of my friends on facebook a few weeks ago.

Apparently, no one. She drowned.

So they say. And I know that she was murdered. The question is who did it? Fingers point to her mother.

immaturerainbow
I hated this case.
If I were in her shoes, I'd WANT to be in jail. I'd be too afraid to go home knowing how many people want me dead.

Mairuzu
Chances are she aint going home. Id rather not be in jail and take my chances in the outside world.

Mairuzu
wJbqdOSiBYk

could be bull

inimalist
convicted criminals are notoriously honest...

Mairuzu
Going for that camera time

inimalist
maybe trying to cut a deal for a shortened sentence?

Mairuzu
Who knows. She looks like a sketchy little chola white girl

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Chances are she aint going home. Id rather not be in jail and take my chances in the outside world.

My guess is that she is hiding out somewhere. If anyone kills her then they are no better then she is.

Mairuzu
Well if someone were too then they probably wouldn't care.

jvQKGy_YZPI

Mindship
Tyler Hadley: perfect match.

ADarksideJedi
Latest rumor is that she may be coming out with a book.

alltoomany

Yeah,, I bet she'll make a lot of money on her story!

xxAntiValentine
I find it unfortunate that she is still walking around. But, from what I have heard there was little evidence against her.

alltoomany
Snakes are known to kill thier own so that it doesnt feel the need to care for them

TacDavey

Will it look something like this?

http://geckosbark.com/wp-content/uploads/If_I_did_It_2.png

alltoomany
Originally posted by TacDavey

How Funny!

dadudemon
I've seen the Casey Anthony hate evolve from curiosity to obloquy.

Now it's at the point of discussing why we liked a certain firework, after the show.

Can't we move on to something else...like...why the food pyramid is crap?

'Thread's dead, Bob.' IKR?

alltoomany

Now it's at the point of discussing why we liked a certain firework, after the show.

'Thread's dead, Bob.' IKR?
yeah food is made out of a bunch of crap thesedays

Symmetric Chaos

There's like six of them now.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by TacDavey

laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.