Thanos Durability Trials

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr.Mxyzptlk
Stipulations for all trials

Thanos must undergo these trials wearing nothing more than an orange pair of sweat-pants made only of cotton or an equivalent piece of fabric clothing. He has no technology on his person, is not allowed to use any technology and is allowed no form of barriers or force fields. Thanos is not allowed to amp his durability in any fashion, be it through cosmic energy, magic or technology. He must complete the trials on his own base durability alone that his current incarnation possesses (this does not disavow or disallow any augmentations Death has made to him when resurrecting him). Thanos is not considered immortal for these Trials.

No KMC versions of Characters are allowed and no hyperbole or undefined/questionable feats are allowed to qualify any character as the answer for any part of any trial.

Trial A

Stipulations
To be a valid participant of Trial A, the participating characters may only use their fists, feet, head, legs, arms, etc. to be dealing the blow. Physically transformed states (such as Colossus or highest density Vision) and Power Armor (technological or those created by the likes of Armor, X-man or Green Lanterns) are allowed but no form of weapons that add damage to a normal hit (such as Wolverine's claws or Ulik's Uru knuckledusters) are allowed.

1. Who is the weakest character that Thanos can not no-sale a punch from? Who is physically strong enough to deal a blow that would register to the Titan (i.e., causing him to grunt in pain, to draw blood, to bruise, etc.)?

2. Who is the weakest character who's blows are capable of causing lasting harm to Thanos (i.e. consistently drawing blood, major bruising, broken bones, etc.)?

3. Who is the weakest character who can knock out Thanos on the first blow?

4. Who is the weakest character who can kill Thanos on the first blow?

Trial B

Stipulations

To be a valid participant of Trial B, the participant characters may only use energy outputs that are either natural to their bodies, natural to their ability to manipulate or fall under their shown usages of their powers. So while this does not disallow the use of the Power Cosmic, it does not allow characters to funnel high end amps that they have only shown once or would require extenuating circumstances or other character present to pull off (such as draining a Cosmic Cube or stealing the Power Cosmic or something similar).

1. Who is the weakest character that Thanos can not no-sale a blast from? Who is powerful enough to deal a blow that would register to the Titan (i.e., causing him to grunt in pain, to draw blood, to bruise, etc.)?

2. Who is the weakest character who's blasts are capable of causing lasting harm to Thanos (i.e. consistently drawing blood, major bruising, broken bones, etc.)?

3. Who is the weakest character who can knock out Thanos on the first hit?

4. Who is the weakest character who can kill Thanos on the first hit?

Trial C

Stipulations

To be a valid participant of Trial C, the participant characters may only use Superspeed that is both natural to them and their shown powerset and may only use Superspeed tricks that they have used on-panel on several occasions. Time Manipulation is only allowed if it gives the character the illusion of Superspeed (such as Zoom) and not if they simply stop time entirely. Each participant is allowed 10 blows or 1 massively amped blow (such as the Infinite Mass Punch).

1. Who is the weakest character that Thanos can not no-sale a barrage from? Who is powerful enough to deal a barrage that would register to the Titan (i.e., causing him to grunt in pain, to draw blood, to bruise, etc.)?

2. Who is the weakest character who's barrage is capable of causing lasting harm to Thanos (i.e. consistently drawing blood, major bruising, broken bones, etc.)?

3. Who is the weakest character who can knock out Thanos with their barrage?

4. Who is the weakest character who can kill Thanos with their barrage?

Trial D

Stipulations

To be a valid participant of Trial D, the participant characters may only use weapon(s) that they normally have access to and use on a regular basis (thus disallowing weapons such as the Muramasa blade). These weapons must either be ones that are weapons that are actually wielded or are part of the character's body (so while Mjolnir, Wolverine's claws and weapon constructs created by a Lantern ring are valid, weapons that function via a release of energy as a blasting assault, such as the general use of a Green Lantern ring or a lightning bolt or god blast from Mjolnir, are not).

1. Who is the weakest character that Thanos can not no-sale a hit from their weapon? Who is powerful enough to deal a hit with their weapon that would register to the Titan (i.e., causing him to grunt in pain, to draw blood, to bruise, etc.)?

2. Who is the weakest character who a hit from their weapon is capable of causing lasting harm to Thanos (i.e. consistently drawing blood, major bruising, broken bones, etc.)?

3. Who is the weakest character who can knock out Thanos with a hit from their weapon?

4. Who is the weakest character who can kill Thanos with a hit from their weapon?

KuRuPT Thanosi
I like the thread man.. but a little too much going on with it.. too many questions and too much thought...

Mr.Mxyzptlk
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
I like the thread man.. but a little too much going on with it.. too many questions and too much thought...

Then people can take their time. I'm in no hurry to see the results.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Mr.Mxyzptlk
Stipulations for all trials

Thanos must undergo these trials wearing nothing more than an orange pair of sweat-pants made only of cotton or an equivalent piece of fabric clothing. He has no technology on his person, is not allowed to use any technology and is allowed no form of barriers or force fields. Thanos is not allowed to amp his durability in any fashion, be it through cosmic energy, magic or technology. He must complete the trials on his own base durability alone that his current incarnation possesses (this does not disavow or disallow any augmentations Death has made to him when resurrecting him). Thanos is not considered immortal for these Trials.

No KMC versions of Characters are allowed and no hyperbole or undefined/questionable feats are allowed to qualify any character as the answer for any part of any trial.

Trial A

Stipulations
To be a valid participant of Trial A, the participating characters may only use their fists, feet, head, legs, arms, etc. to be dealing the blow. Physically transformed states (such as Colossus or highest density Vision) and Power Armor (technological or those created by the likes of Armor, X-man or Green Lanterns) are allowed but no form of weapons that add damage to a normal hit (such as Wolverine's claws or Ulik's Uru knuckledusters) are allowed.

1. Who is the weakest character that Thanos can not no-sale a punch from? Who is physically strong enough to deal a blow that would register to the Titan (i.e., causing him to grunt in pain, to draw blood, to bruise, etc.)?

2. Who is the weakest character who's blows are capable of causing lasting harm to Thanos (i.e. consistently drawing blood, major bruising, broken bones, etc.)?

3. Who is the weakest character who can knock out Thanos on the first blow?

4. Who is the weakest character who can kill Thanos on the first blow?

Trial B

Stipulations

To be a valid participant of Trial B, the participant characters may only use energy outputs that are either natural to their bodies, natural to their ability to manipulate or fall under their shown usages of their powers. So while this does not disallow the use of the Power Cosmic, it does not allow characters to funnel high end amps that they have only shown once or would require extenuating circumstances or other character present to pull off (such as draining a Cosmic Cube or stealing the Power Cosmic or something similar).

1. Who is the weakest character that Thanos can not no-sale a blast from? Who is powerful enough to deal a blow that would register to the Titan (i.e., causing him to grunt in pain, to draw blood, to bruise, etc.)?

2. Who is the weakest character who's blasts are capable of causing lasting harm to Thanos (i.e. consistently drawing blood, major bruising, broken bones, etc.)?

3. Who is the weakest character who can knock out Thanos on the first hit?

4. Who is the weakest character who can kill Thanos on the first hit?

Trial C

Stipulations

To be a valid participant of Trial C, the participant characters may only use Superspeed that is both natural to them and their shown powerset and may only use Superspeed tricks that they have used on-panel on several occasions. Time Manipulation is only allowed if it gives the character the illusion of Superspeed (such as Zoom) and not if they simply stop time entirely. Each participant is allowed 10 blows or 1 massively amped blow (such as the Infinite Mass Punch).

1. Who is the weakest character that Thanos can not no-sale a barrage from? Who is powerful enough to deal a barrage that would register to the Titan (i.e., causing him to grunt in pain, to draw blood, to bruise, etc.)?

2. Who is the weakest character who's barrage is capable of causing lasting harm to Thanos (i.e. consistently drawing blood, major bruising, broken bones, etc.)?

3. Who is the weakest character who can knock out Thanos with their barrage?

4. Who is the weakest character who can kill Thanos with their barrage?

Trial D

Stipulations

To be a valid participant of Trial D, the participant characters may only use weapon(s) that they normally have access to and use on a regular basis (thus disallowing weapons such as the Muramasa blade). These weapons must either be ones that are weapons that are actually wielded or are part of the character's body (so while Mjolnir, Wolverine's claws and weapon constructs created by a Lantern ring are valid, weapons that function via a release of energy as a blasting assault, such as the general use of a Green Lantern ring or a lightning bolt or god blast from Mjolnir, are not).

1. Who is the weakest character that Thanos can not no-sale a hit from their weapon? Who is powerful enough to deal a hit with their weapon that would register to the Titan (i.e., causing him to grunt in pain, to draw blood, to bruise, etc.)?

2. Who is the weakest character who a hit from their weapon is capable of causing lasting harm to Thanos (i.e. consistently drawing blood, major bruising, broken bones, etc.)?

3. Who is the weakest character who can knock out Thanos with a hit from their weapon?

4. Who is the weakest character who can kill Thanos with a hit from their weapon? http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/psychogundam1/gifs/thdidntwhat.gif

King Kandy
The augmentations from death are immortality... that's like "well, Thanos is immortal, but how durable would he be if he wasn't"? There's not really an answer to that question because the "version" of Thanos we're using is just hypothetical.

carver9
Originally posted by psycho gundam
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/psychogundam1/gifs/thdidntwhat.gif

This...

Too much.

zopzop
@Mr.Mxyzptlk

This can get really complicated and the best thing to do is go by what's been presented on panel.

He's gone up against enough opponents that we can at least get an idea of how durable he is. He's withstood being blasted full force in the face by the Silver Surfer at point blank range and just snarled at him. He's survived brutal punishment from Odin w/ Gungnir, he's survived vs Tyrant for a while (but admitted he didn't' want to stick around now that Tyrant was getting serious). He withstood a blast from a seriously pissed off Galactus but his shields were in play. He wasn't bloodied or broken in any of these encounters.

So his durability, going by on panel evidence, and not including his "I can't die ability", is Skyfather level. That's not too shabby.

Mr.Mxyzptlk
Originally posted by King Kandy
The augmentations from death are immortality... that's like "well, Thanos is immortal, but how durable would he be if he wasn't"? There's not really an answer to that question because the "version" of Thanos we're using is just hypothetical.

I was speaking of the augmentations he received following his first resurrection. I thought that the immortality was granted by his more recent one in the Thanos Imperative.

Mr.Mxyzptlk
Originally posted by zopzop
@Mr.Mxyzptlk

This can get really complicated and the best thing to do is go by what's been presented on panel.

He's gone up against enough opponents that we can at least get an idea of how durable he is. He's withstood being blasted full force in the face by the Silver Surfer at point blank range and just snarled at him. He's survived brutal punishment from Odin w/ Gungnir, he's survived vs Tyrant for a while (but admitted he didn't' want to stick around now that Tyrant was getting serious). He withstood a blast from a seriously pissed off Galactus but his shields were in play. He wasn't bloodied or broken in any of these encounters.

So his durability, going by on panel evidence, and not including his "I can't die ability", is Skyfather level. That's not too shabby.

But weren't most of those feats including either amping himself or the use of Force fields/barriers?

And I really just made this to see how people would reply to the trials. It was a fun thing to write out and I always find these kinds of rating threads really amusing to read.

Badabing
Thanos has less than bone-claw Wolverine durabilty. durverine

King Kandy
I was speaking of the augmentations he received following his first resurrection. I thought that the immortality was granted by his more recent one in the Thanos Imperative.
Oh, I thought it was the Thanos Imperative one you were talking about. So do his upgrades from his mini and TI count?

King Kandy
Originally posted by Badabing
Thanos has less than bone-claw Wolverine durabilty. durverine
Bone claw Wolverine is all powerful, so its not that low of a feat.

zopzop
But weren't most of those feats including either amping himself or the use of Force fields/barriers?

They weren't, except for the Galactus one. Thanos did all that under his own power. For example, even IF you believe the story that he had shields up when he tanked Odin's initial blast, they were long gone by the time he muscled right through a full Gungnir blast and tried to wrest it away from Odin.

Thanos' durability most definitely is skyfather level (at least).

King Kandy
He tanked a huge blast from a cube being as well.

zopzop
@King Kandy

Ah yes! Good one. And in all these encounters he was never bleeding or had any broken bones or missing limbs etc...

Badabing
Originally posted by King Kandy
Bone claw Wolverine is all powerful, so its not that low of a feat. laughing out loud

zopzop
Wait, wasn't that Bone Claw Wolverine from a What if?

Badabing
Wait, wasn't that Bone Claw Wolverine from a What if? You're gonna be from a What If! sneer

stick out tongue

StiltmanFTW
BC Wolvie did have some ridiculous cutting feats, like penetrating Onslaught's forcefield, cutting Hulk, Psycho-Man, Kierrok, Ms Marvel apparently, scratched Skrull Thing, etc.

zopzop
Hot damn. But is the cutting Thanos feat canon?

chomperx9
Originally posted by Badabing
Thanos has less than bone-claw Wolverine durabilty. durverine troll

StiltmanFTW
Hot damn. But is the cutting Thanos feat canon?

It's from Marvel vs. DC, I believe. Not usable on KMC. It's canon only to DC from what I heard (which is getting a reboot now anyway).

StiltmanFTW
Hmmm Marvel database says it's 616 though stick out tongue

http://marvel.wikia.com/Marvel_Versus_DC

Sundipped
Let's just say this: Thanos got insane durability. Without the shields. He took shots from power gem Thor and Tyrant.

King Kandy
power gem thor soloed several heralds at once with a single blow... so it is a fantastic feat to be able to slug it out with him.

TheLordofMurder
The feats prove it over and over again; there can be no doubt, Thanos is an absolute BEAST as pertains to his ability to absorb punishment...

IMHO, Thanos's damage soak is some of the best there is in comics for beings Skyfather Level and below...

TheLordofMurder
Anyway, to address the topic at hand...

Trail A:
1) A bonafide Class 100 strength level character that is not holding back would be the minimum here...
2) The weakest (IMHO) would have to be Superman with a sufficiently long Sundip (a few moments atleast)...
3) A Skyfather that is using their power to amp the living hell out of their punch; Odin/Zeus in Giant Size...
4) An Elder God who is using their power to amp their strength way up; RKT perhaps or an amped Demogorge for sure...

Trial B:
1) Edit: on further thought, Afro Magus perhaps...
2) Darkseids Omega Effect (even though no damage was illustrated on HP DD, I feel it should have)...
3) Thor using his most powerful God Blast (the one he used on Exitar)...
4) Maybe a high Skyfather putting their all into a single attack, or an Elder God for doing it for sure...

Trial C: Dont really care to address these; I'll leave this for someone else... smile

Trial D:
1) Wolverine...
2) Hunter/Prey Doomsday using his boney protrusions...
3) Not at all sure about this one...
4) Surtur with Twilight...

TheLordofMurder
Just thought of one for Trial D...number 3:

A full strength blow from Ymir weilding his club of ice...

TheLordofMurder
No one has any thoughts on the super speedsters vs Thanos?

nimbus006
Originally posted by psycho gundam
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/psychogundam1/gifs/thdidntwhat.gif

LMFAO! laughing

StiltmanFTW
^ saved laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.