Which HULK Film Do You Prefer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Just curious which film everyone prefers. I actually much prefer the Ang Lee film. Flawed though it may be, I find it far more satisfying visually, emotionally, and psychologically. I honestly thought the 2008 film was quite vapid and uninteresting (even though Liv Tyler was good in it, she couldn't save the film all on her own). I'm not familiar with any of the comics or anything, though.

HULK (2003)

or

The Incredible Hulk (2008)

SpaceMonkey
It's no contest as far as I'm concerned, The Incredible Hulk is wayyyy better. Better acting, better story, it ties in to the current Avengers storyline, better villain... I can go on and on.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I guess that's one of the main flaws with the Ang Lee version (although I don't necessarily see it as a flaw): there's not really a very clear focus on a villain. In fact, the end of the film doesn't really make much sense to me... haha.. I honestly don't really know what's going on, heh. But, I guess I enjoy the performances more, between Nick Nolte and Eric Bana. And I like that the villain isn't just some hulking manifestation of all that is bad.. makes it a bit more abstract and complex.

I honestly felt like The Incredible Hulk was just some boyish fantasy to have two big monster dudes fighting a lot. Found it rather boring.

Darth Martin
The one that has Deadpool in it.

Patient_Leech
Oh, and call me crazy, but I actually really liked the split-screen comic style that Ang Lee went for. I thought that worked surprisingly well.

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Oh, and call me crazy, but I actually really liked the split-screen comic style that Ang Lee went for. I thought that worked surprisingly well.

Then I will call you crazy, Crazy. stick out tongue

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
Then I will call you crazy, Crazy. stick out tongue

I think being the only crazy one in a thread means that I'm the only sane one.. or, uh... something. shifty confused

StiltmanFTW
Both movies sucked.

In Lee's Hulk I enjoyed the action scene with tanks and pretty much that's it.

In TIH the only good moments were Hulk doing a thunderclap, enhanced Blonsky (pre-Abom) and Stark appearing in the after-credits scene.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
and Stark appearing in the after-credits scene.

Actually was before the credits, so everyone saw that scene, not just the Marvel fans waiting around till the end Lol

Patient_Leech
Both movies sucked.

I almost made that one of the options. That, and "I like them equally," but I thought about it for a second and I really wanted to force people to pick one or the other. *shrug*

JayDaDon
I just liked the way hulk's strength was portrayed in the first movie as opposed to the second. Hulk was pretty beast in the first. The second one pretty much just had the thunderclap. Other than that, he wasn't really anymore impressive than say, the thing. Incredible hulk had better acting, story etc. I prefer the strength shown in the first hulk, but Incredible hulk was a better movie.

jinXed by JaNx
no contest...,nortons hulk. Shame there wont be a sequel.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Actually was before the credits, so everyone saw that scene, not just the Marvel fans waiting around till the end Lol

Not in my theater.

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I almost made that one of the options. That, and "I like them equally," but I thought about it for a second and I really wanted to force people to pick one or the other. *shrug*

If I had to choose, it'd be Lee's Hulk.

DARTH POWER
Not in my theater.

Oh right, I didnt know that.. Interesting..

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
no contest...,nortons hulk. Shame there wont be a sequel.

There might still be if the character does well in Avengers. But obviously wnt be a sequel with Norton.

BruceSkywalker
Norton's Hulk was better than Ang Lee's Hulk

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by JayDaDon
I just liked the way hulk's strength was portrayed in the first movie as opposed to the second. Hulk was pretty beast in the first. The second one pretty much just had the thunderclap. Other than that, he wasn't really anymore impressive than say, the thing. Incredible hulk had better acting, story etc. I prefer the strength shown in the first hulk, but Incredible hulk was a better movie. Co-sign

Prep-Man
Isn't Jennifer Connelly in Hulk? If so, Hulk> Incredible Hulk.

CosmicComet
Bana Hulk was the better Hulk.

Patient_Leech
YEAH!! RepreSENT, Prep-Man and CosmicComet!! big grin

spidermanrocks
Hated '03 Hulk but I really enjoyed the '08 Hulk. The problem with the '03 Hulk lacks the tone and feel that a Hulk movie should have. The movie was way too moody and depressing. '08 Hulk felt a lot more like a Hulk movie should have. And Edward Norton played a better Bruce Banner/Hulk than Eric Bana IMO.

However, one thing I like about the 03 Hulk is that it used stuff from Peter David's Hulk comics. THAT was one of the things that I really liked about the movie (and one of the only things I liked too). But overall, '08 Hulk wins this for me.

Mindship
'The Hulk' had better military fight scenes, an overall better Hulk design, and Jennifer Conelly. It needed less split screen and family psychodrama.

'The Incredible Hulk' had a better-told story, a more realistic-looking Hulk, and William Hurt. It needed bigger Hulk feats.

Overall, I'm inclined to watch the second more than the first. But if I had to choose, I'd rather just watch the fight scenes from the first movie than the whole second movie.

StiltmanFTW
Couldn't agree more.

Darth Martin
But, in the end, they were both mediocre comic book movies.

Kazenji
I disagree on the Hulk design for 'The Hulk'

Incredible Hulk had a better design.

Mindship
Originally posted by Kazenji
I disagree on the Hulk design for 'The Hulk'

Incredible Hulk had a better design. I liked the first Hulk design better because the second struck me as too lean, and too muscularly defined when relaxed. But the face and skin job for the second Hulk were more realistic.

The only thing I really didn't like about the first Hulk design were the ridiculously short thighs. I think if the second Hulk had been bulkier through the waist, and all that striated muscularity showed only when he was fighting, it would've been nigh perfect.

Oh, and as far as the fight scenes go (to throw in an additional comment), I did think the second film's opening fight scene, when Blonsky and his crew meet Hulk for the first time...that was a scene worthy of the first film, because one didn't (at least I didn't) expect huge Hulk feats right away. Only later, on the college campus, was I somewhat disappointed.

Kazenji
The thing i did'nt like about the design for the first hulk is when Bana's Bruce Banner transforms you could still see his face in the Hulk.

lft4ded
Originally posted by Kazenji
The thing i did'nt like about the design for the first hulk is when Bana's Bruce Banner transforms you could still see his face in the Hulk.

I assumed that was intentional as Hulk isn't separate from Banner but is an expression of him.

I'm all for "Hulk" as my favorite. I love the way they allowed Bruce/Hulk to revel in the power and anger and the freedom it gave him. The Norton Hulk seemed to me anything but 'Incredible' and was a major letdown.

Yeah, Absorbo-Dad wasn't the hottest but it was dealt with and was a nod to the Absorbing Man, and who's to say that later on Crusher couldn't run into remnant energies of Bruce's dad and take his rightful place.

One of the biggest complaints I've heard, story aside, is the growing larger and stronger. Which is weird because its the easiest thing to fix. These were Bruce's first handful of transformations. When a character first shows up in comics they are super-extra-more powerful but later drop down a little. Likewise in the movie they could've said his first few transformations were unstable but during his time in SAmerica they stabilized and thus no more crazy growth. Though that doesn't have to curb his increasing strength.

I voted "Hulk".

MF DELPH
Yeah, 1st Hulk.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.