Patent Wars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AsbestosFlaygon
So I just heard in the news that Microsoft and Apple are suing Google over allegedly using their patents for the Android OS.

Thoughts on this?

dadudemon
I hate patent wars.

Of course, people want to protect their intellectual property. I believe it was inimalist that said we will slowly progress to a more open system as humans become more enlightened and less..wel...douchy.

I sure hope so. I'm tired of this douchy stuff.

ADarksideJedi
Someone is always sueing someone these days.

inimalist
Originally posted by dadudemon
I believe it was inimalist that said we will slowly progress to a more open system as humans become more enlightened and less..wel...douchy.

I take your word for it, you honestly seem to have a better idea of stuff I've said than I do, but I'm not sure if I actually believe that...

The ascension of China might force it, or just render international patents irrelevant, but with the RIAA and MPAA as powerful as they are, I don't really see intellectual property laws getting any more democratic any time soon.

At this point, it is the creators of intellectual property that will have to redesign the system from the bottom up by pretty much just not participating in this patent system, but for corporations making products and with an essential monopoly on advertising and the ability to reach the masses, I don't see how this will challenge them.

Like, I can make my music part of a creative commons liscence, and let people use it (as far as I'm concerned, I don't really even care about getting credit for it, and no, I don't care if some Republican uses it at a campaign rally, though, that is probably a benefit of making very obscure and avant garde music), but Sony and Virgin will never do that, and if one of their CEOs tried, they would be instantly fired by stockholders.

but ya, a more open system would not only motivate more creativity and risk taking in all sectors of society, it would allow access to everyone and heavily democratize the creation of media, software, even science, etc.

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
I take your word for it, you honestly seem to have a better idea of stuff I've said than I do, but I'm not sure if I actually believe that...

The ascension of China might force it, or just render international patents irrelevant, but with the RIAA and MPAA as powerful as they are, I don't really see intellectual property laws getting any more democratic any time soon.

At this point, it is the creators of intellectual property that will have to redesign the system from the bottom up by pretty much just not participating in this patent system, but for corporations making products and with an essential monopoly on advertising and the ability to reach the masses, I don't see how this will challenge them.

Like, I can make my music part of a creative commons liscence, and let people use it (as far as I'm concerned, I don't really even care about getting credit for it, and no, I don't care if some Republican uses it at a campaign rally, though, that is probably a benefit of making very obscure and avant garde music), but Sony and Virgin will never do that, and if one of their CEOs tried, they would be instantly fired by stockholders.

but ya, a more open system would not only motivate more creativity and risk taking in all sectors of society, it would allow access to everyone and heavily democratize the creation of media, software, even science, etc.

This is the post of yours that I had in mind when I made that comment. I bolded the section that I was thinking about, the most and the "douchy" comment was about the "retarded"* actions of large corporations or entities like the RIAA.

Originally posted by inimalist If intellectual property goes, it is corporations like itunes and netflix who are going to benefit the most. So long as they can keep up with demand, they already have the net infrastructure to provide, for a nominal fee, exactly what people want.

Torrents are great, but not without a learning curve, that to many people makes them unuseable (I just dont think they want to learn; people will pay just to have something there ready for them without any effort).

As far as industries go, the type of thing you are going to see die are these generic, cookie cutter, blockbuster bands and films that dominated the 90s-00s. Its already really happening in music, though slowly.

Niche markets can support artists and independant film, especially on the globalized internet, though we might have to give up on the auto-tune and summer blockbuster crapfest.

This is probably going to happen anyways, losing intellectual property laws would just accelerate it, and would probably loosen the hold certain corporate entities are asserting on the access to media online.

Granted, you were responding to a hypothetical "what if IPRs disappeared" so I may have remembered what you had said about it as out of context. A good question would be, "Why is dadudemon even invoking inimalist's name when discussing patents wars". Because you're seem more researched in this area than I am and I remember a good point you made a while back.

*I put "retarded" in quotes because I remembered you calling what the RIAA does retarded at one point. I found that, too:

Originally posted by inimalist
...we can all agree that it is retarded that the RIAA is sueing college students for millions of dollars...

AsbestosFlaygon
"German court blocks shipments of Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Europe"
from GSMArena

http://www.gsmarena.com/ german_court_blocks_shipping_of_galaxy_tab_101_in_
europe-news-2979.php

Apparently, Apple have successfully stopped the new Samsung Galaxy Tabs from entering the shores of Australia.

Now they are trying to stop ALL of the Galaxy line to be imported in the US, and this current patent infringement suit in Germany could potentially ban the Galaxy Tab in ALL of Europe (except the Netherlands).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.