I'm going to college

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Barker
no expression 13

Who else here is going back to school here in a bit? I'll be a freshman at Southern Utah (haermm) University majoring in Graphic Design.

SAY YOUR MAJOR AND WHAT SCHOOL

IF YOU'RE COMFORTABLE SHARING YOUR SCHOOL.

AND OTHER SCHOOL RELATED THINGS

Or hell, where you went to college if you're graduated already.

Thoren
I'll be going back to school in January, to get my Masters in Business Administration.

University of Houston.

jockey

Mairuzu
Heard they have weed

That ACDC Chick
ill most likely be going back to college after my surgery
majoring in English until i can transfer to a college where i can major in Creative Writing and minor in Psychology
i go to Community College of Allegheny County right now

Barker
Originally posted by Thoren
I'll be going back to school in January, to get my Masters in Business Administration.

University of Houston.

jockey
haermm masters

I thought you were my age for some reason

Thoren
Originally posted by Barker
haermm masters

I thought you were my age for some reason Nope, I'm like 9 years older. haermm ermmnone

Barker
noneermmermmnone

you're old enough to be my dad

Thoren
noneermmermmnone

you're old enough to be my dad That's if I was sexually active at 9. ermmnonenoneermm

Barker
Oh yeah, your first time was at 17 with Oscar and Andy noneermmnoneermm

AbnormalButSane
I started Wednesday. My last year! w00t

I study physics and maths. doped

Naz
I start class again Monday. Because I'm a junior. At LSU. For English and Advertising.

AbnormalButSane
We play LSU! We always lose too. haermm

Thoren
Oh yeah, your first time was at 17 with Oscar and Andy noneermmnoneermm Never crossed swords. ermmnone

Bardock42
I am still in education.

I study Mathematics and Informatics at the Open University in a distance learning class.

I hate school, and find it pointless, and hated it even more when I was studying at a brick and mortar school.

Thoren
Are you rich? And if so, can I live with you and Sunc? ha-son

Batman-Prime
Oktober I will study again. I'm already an Graphic Designer since some years but it's boring just to work... I will study Print- and Mediatechnology in Munich.

Dave_97
just remember, you aint cool unless you pee pants.

Bardock42
Are you rich? And if so, can I live with you and Sunc? ha-son

My parents are well off...and sure, you can live with me. I guess we'll just throw Sancty out.

Thoren
Originally posted by Bardock42
My parents are well off...and sure, you can live with me. I guess we'll just throw Sancty out. jw00t

lord xyz
I'll be a second year in September. drunk_ph

I study film.

You will say it's shit, but I'll get the last laugh when I'm making you cry in the cinema. caw00t

the ninjak
I'm doing my second last semester. I'm gonna be a Librarian.

Ax3l
I start my second year on Monday.

In the a program that centers on Radio/TV/and Film.

Laying personal focus on Radio.

Potentially transferring to a University after this year, probably somewhere in the pacific northwest.

Mist_haermm
Southern Utah University

They have a university in Utah? haermm

Barker
Originally posted by Mist_haermm
They have a university in Utah? haermm
ermmnone 13

There are tons

Korto Vos
MAIZE & BLUE

I'm going to be a sophomore, and am currently Pre-Medicine, like 50% of my kind (the 50% being in engineering).

Barker
So apparently you get two hours of homework for every hour of class according to my math professor. noneermm

He looks about 20. ermmnone

Barker

University of Houston.

jockey
So how's that going for you? jockey

That ACDC Chick
That reminds me, I have to see what credit courses they're offering at my school as well as fill out my FAFSA form for the year. ****ers better reply to me this time. uhuh
Wanted to take classes last fall at the very least online, but since they didn't get back to me, I couldn't even start registering. uhuh

dadudemon
So apparently you get two hours of homework for every hour of class according to my math professor. noneermm

He looks about 20. ermmnone

One of my professors said each week would require 20 hours of work on her course, alone. Took one hour, tops. no expression

One of my professors said his labs would 5 hours, at most, each week. They averaged 20 hours a week. no expression

They LIE!

That ACDC Chick
All of my professors said the same thing about their classes. haermm
I never studied for any of them and passed every one except a computer class because I did absolutely nothing in that useless ass class. haermm
The only class I actually took time to do homework every night in was an Algebra class I took cause that was actually complicated and I've never done well in maths. Was really surprised when I passed with a B or C. The rest of the classes, I'd just slap something together in the time between my classes and be done with it all.

Thoren
So how's that going for you? jockey
I'll be going in the summer, had to put it on hold for the new job. tohsrug

Barker
haermm Oceaneering

Thoren
I make good money. ermmnone

Barker
So do drug dealers. noneermm

Digi
Hope ya'll have financial plans for these colleges. Otherwise, enjoy the debt. If I were back at the "go to college" age, I'd skip it and learn a trade.

As it is, I got lucky and do ok. But that's all it was, luck. So, enjoy having a purpose for a while longer until the soul-crushing existence of post-college takes away your innocence and will to live, as you spiral down into deeper debt and self-loathing over your inability to live up to any of your dreams.

awecreep

Also, sexual experimentation. Post pics.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Digi
Hope ya'll have financial plans for these colleges. Otherwise, enjoy the debt. If I were back at the "go to college" age, I'd skip it and learn a trade.

So, enjoy having a purpose for a while longer until the soul-crushing existence of post-college takes away your innocence and will to live, as you spiral down into deeper debt and self-loathing over your inability to live up to any of your dreams.

BAM.

The older I get, the more useless I view college. You can attend school for 12 years studying a specific subject and then WHACK! Some 19-year old kid with no college education has more knowledge of that subject than you do. This is one of the banes of the information age.

awecreep

Also, sexual experimentation. Post pics.

You'll end up with lots of dick pictures (and probably pictures of gnarly dorm poops) from the posters here. Just warning you. no expression

Digi
It's like, I enjoy having a degree, but for what I do it doesn't matter two sh*ts what that degree was in. And I had to plug money back into the education system every couple years to stay licensed in my original intended profession. I'm slowly going to get a Masters in what I do now, but it's only because I'm already in the door. If I want any mobility I'll need the degree to go with my current experience.

Seriously, if you're only going to college because you have no clue else what to do, learn a trade. Fraction of the cost, easier to find jobs, and good pay most times. Buddy of mine repairs and installs elevators, and he makes FAR more than you'd expect. Unionized, benefits, etc.

dadudemon
Seriously, if you're only going to college because you have no clue else what to do, learn a trade. Fraction of the cost, easier to find jobs, and good pay most times. Buddy of mine repairs and installs elevators, and he makes FAR more than you'd expect. Unionized, benefits, etc.

I have no choice because you need a degree to get anywhere in middle to upper IT Management. I was turned down for a job that required a B.S. degree and it started at 110K a year. Only because I did not have a B.S. or better. They wanted to hire me but could not because it was a government contract position with specific requirements that MUST be met.*

The fact that I have 11 IT certifications and was probably more qualified than any of the other applicants meant shit.

*That jaded me to the whole "higher education" process, really. The degree does nothing for me. The IT certs do and it proves core competencies directly applicable to the job. Like...why is a degree even necessary for those types of jobs?

Thoren
So do drug dealers. noneermm creepermm

Digi
It's a circle of death. Employers can be pickier because the job market is weak so everyone wants a good job. So, they up the requirements, and there's no perfect way to gauge skill or knowledge, so they say "You must have {X} degree." Then people end up wandering around trying to out-degree each other so they're overqualified for jobs that they're competing against everyone else with.

Best way to do it, if you're actually going to college, is to race your way to some BS degree but just get yourself personally skilled in what you actually want to do. I didn't get my job because I had a degree, I got it because I can write really well and I pay maddening attention to detail in writing. If I was in IT, I'd get some quick degree and study programming languages, OS's, etc. like mad. I have a friend that has a 2-year degree from a community college in IT but works his ass off certifying himself in all sorts of things. He makes twice what I do. He wouldn't have his job without the degree, but that's also not what got him the job. He walked in and said "I can do THESE things" and it was twice what most others could do, higher degree or not. Ironically the opposite of dudemon (though ddm doesn't have his B.S. yet it seems despite being super qualified...still dude, I think you'll land in good places eventually with your skill set).

Degrees get you nothing but a chance at some interviews. It's the other stuff you do that will get you a job, especially today. Because 50+ people applied for each job you did, and are all walking in with the same degree or higher.

Thoren
ermmnone

Barker
Actually lol'd. crylaugh

Digi
ermmnone

ha-son

But in seriousness, my first post was going to be mockingly serious for the lulz, then someone took me up on it and it became a thing.

Thoren
I never liked education, but then I got addicted.

dadudemon
It's a circle of death. Employers can be pickier because the job market is weak so everyone wants a good job. So, they up the requirements, and there's no perfect way to gauge skill or knowledge, so they say "You must have {X} degree." Then people end up wandering around trying to out-degree each other so they're overqualified for jobs that they're competing against everyone else with.

Best way to do it, if you're actually going to college, is to race your way to some BS degree but just get yourself personally skilled in what you actually want to do. I didn't get my job because I had a degree, I got it because I can write really well and I pay maddening attention to detail in writing. If I was in IT, I'd get some quick degree and study programming languages, OS's, etc. like mad. I have a friend that has a 2-year degree from a community college in IT but works his ass off certifying himself in all sorts of things. He makes twice what I do. He wouldn't have his job without the degree, but that's also not what got him the job. He walked in and said "I can do THESE things" and it was twice what most others could do, higher degree or not. Ironically the opposite of dudemon (though ddm doesn't have his B.S. yet it seems despite being super qualified...still dude, I think you'll land in good places eventually with your skill set).

Degrees get you nothing but a chance at some interviews. It's the other stuff you do that will get you a job, especially today. Because 50+ people applied for each job you did, and are all walking in with the same degree or higher.

Ditto to everything...it's just that...I'm jaded after being in the business world for a while, now. I see unqualified idiots getting jobs where they perform...idiotically. But they have their degree, damnit! dur The degree is what got them the job: with a connection, of course.

Even an idiot can memorize crap and barf it onto an exam. But you have to actually know what you're doing to properly configure an internet facing router (or perform heart surgery).

Digi
Oh, well yeah, connections too. Even strong connections didn't help me in teaching, but that profession has gone belly-up in many states. A connection isn't good enough anymore, that just gets you past one more round of cuts. The "it's not what you know, it's who you know" maxim of course isn't entirely true. You need some credentials. But it's a big deal in many fields.

Frankly though, IT is less prone to that than some fields. If you know a coding language, for example, that's an objective criteria to base comparison on. In business, writing, etc. it's much more subjective and prone to other influences. My frustration with teaching was that I had no way to objectively establish I was better in an interview or teaching sample. Pissed me off to no end, because I couldn't go out and learn anything or work at something to help me. So like I said, I understand the frustration, but I think you'll be ok long-term if you stay motivated.

I'm trying to imagine the others watching this conversation. We must seem so lame.

Digi
So anyway, Bark, first year. I couldn't help but think of this kid:
http://www.quickmeme.com/College-Freshman/

Barker
So anyway, Bark, first year. I couldn't help but think of this kid:
http://www.quickmeme.com/College-Freshman/
Why do you hate me so? haermm

Digi
Could be worse, you could be the college senior meme.

Barker
I've been on the interbuttz for 7 years now and have never had the pleasure of running into that.

Mr. Bacon
Ive been in school for too long, but by the end of this summer Ill have a Bachelors in Biology

Bardock42
I'm trying to imagine the others watching this conversation. We must seem so lame.

At least you guys know it, right?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.