Is it a crime to be poor?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

alltoomany
I really can't get over what I see and hear from some people. I was in the food store and I over heard a woman on the phone explaining why her boyfriend didn't have a nicer car, to (i guess) her friend.

I had a plumber over my house fixing something and we got into talking, he past a comment that his mother and father didnt have enough money to buy him designer clothes when he was younger and they should have found a way, to have. He also said that he likes when other people fail, because it makes him look better.

Is being poor a crime?

inimalist
yes

alltoomany
Originally posted by inimalist
yes

Back in the days of old England they sure did treat the poor as criminals.

inimalist
as they should be

alltoomany
as they should be

explain why?

inimalist
because they have no money

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by alltoomany
I really can't get over what I see and hear from some people. I was in the food store and I over heard a woman on the phone explaining why her boyfriend didn't have a nicer car, to (i guess) her friend.

I had a plumber over my house fixing something and we got into talking, he past a comment that his mother and father didnt have enough money to buy him designer clothes when he was younger and they should have found a way, to have. He also said that he likes when other people fail, because it makes him look better.

Is being poor a crime? People who complain about something and make no effort to improve themselves are losers. That broad should worry about herself and if she wanted a better looking, more desirable, and richer man she should find one. She obviously isn't good looking enough to get a man like that. She has nobody to blame but herself.

As for the plumber. Why do people think silly pointless things like fancier clothes makes them "rich"? Focus on building income producing assets *then* buy better things. Don't buy the "junk" first. This is what a lot of poor and middle class people did when they bought those houses they didn't need. To look better. Or when they buy cars than they can't afford. Downsize and cut costs and then improve. I find it interesting when some of my friends from back in the day and family blow more money eating out and buying junk than me. Even when they make less.

Everyone should try to improve themselves all over, but don't complain you're poor, fat, etc. Do something about it.

alltoomany
some people do try but fail to get a head in life. Being poor isnt a crime in it's self

WhiteWitchKing
some people do try but fail to get a head in life. Being poor isnt a crime in it's self

Being poor is not a crime. Some look down on it while others sympathize. The people ur talking abot it look down on it and try to disassociate themselves from that. By talking down about and blaming others, they think their whinning and complaint excuses them for not having the nice clothes or driving the latest car. They are poor but don't want to admit it. They hate themselves but sometimes they just don't know it.

the ninjak
Nothing wrong with being poor. Nothing wrong with being rich.

What's wrong is being a douchbag. Those exist in both sides.

Does this question really need to be asked. Or are people really this dense? What is this logic hour?

Tha C-Master
some people do try but fail to get a head in life. Being poor isnt a crime in it's self Well it isn't a legal "crime" but it is unfair to that person and especially any kid that person has to bring them up in poverty, because poverty brings on more poverty and it is a mindset. The higher crime rates, less access to good health care, good schools. It is a harsh world. In the end being rich or poor is more of a choice, and people choose one or the other in the end. This is why people who win the lottery who were poor previously become broke. This is why wealthy industrialists who have a setback come back in shorter order, it's the mindset.

Actually money doesn't make you wealthy or poor. It will make you rich or broke. The wealth and the poverty lifestyles are both mindsets and cycles that keep on going. Education is the solution to this (and having less children out of wedlock). Kids who are born too young or without both parents are much more likely to be poor. That is a fact.Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
Being poor is not a crime. Some look down on it while others sympathize. The people ur talking abot it look down on it and try to disassociate themselves from that. By talking down about and blaming others, they think their whinning and complaint excuses them for not having the nice clothes or driving the latest car. They are poor but don't want to admit it. They hate themselves but sometimes they just don't know it. Proves my point nicely. Even if they won some money or inherited some, they'd still be poor deep down. They'd simply try to hide their inner "poorness" by buying things thinking that is what makes wealth. Anybody who has money knows the best thing is the more options it gives you. Better healthcare, no need to work, etc. Also the ability to help people. Buying cars and all that is fun, but it's not the real reason money is good. Money opens up doors in life. People seek power for a reason. Power brings you options. Money is a form of power. Hence whey people subconsciously seek it.

Mindship
Is being poor a crime? Being poor in personal responsibility (ie, not taking ownership for one's thoughts, actions and emotions) is a crime unto oneself.

Originally posted by Tha C-Master
Money is a form of power. Hence whey people subconsciously seek it. Not so subconsciously...

Tha C-Master
You made a great point. When I say someone is poor, I'm not so much talking about money. I'm talking about a person who takes actions that leave them in lack. Whether they're poor with money, or poor with eating properly or exercising, or self control. All of those things are poor actions.

Originally posted by Mindship
Being poor in personal responsibility (ie, not taking ownership for one's thoughts, actions and emotions) is a crime unto oneself.

Not so subconsciously... Well on both levels. They don't often realize why they seek it throughout the times. But that's the main motivation, options leads to a higher chance of survival and a better life.

Looks, money, intelligence, talent, etc. All are forms of power.

ADarksideJedi

True but that is no longer true however if a homeless person is doing a crime which most of them are then they are arrested. So it is different as for being poor it is not a crime. It could somewhat be helped however.

alltoomany
Originally posted by Mindship
Being poor in personal responsibility (ie, not taking ownership for one's thoughts, actions and emotions) is a crime unto oneself.

Not so subconsciously...

There"s lots Depressed mental normal poor people

lord xyz
Poor people know why they're poor, that's why god punishes them.

alltoomany
IN GOD WE TRUST...

lord xyz
IN GOD WE TRUST... http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1010000/images/_1010695_tenner300.jpg

Classic Dawkins joke...

Symmetric Chaos
If it's not I've made a lot of illegal citizens arrests.

Rapscallion

...or contemporary america

jalek moye
People who complain about something and make no effort to improve themselves are losers. That broad should worry about herself and if she wanted a better looking, more desirable, and richer man she should find one. She obviously isn't good looking enough to get a man like that. She has nobody to blame but herself.

Maybe i'm interpreting this wrong but can you really say someone not being the sexiest girl around is their fault?

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by jalek moye
Maybe i'm interpreting this wrong but can you really say someone not being the sexiest girl around is their fault? I was talkng more about people and their wealth and taking care of themselves.

And yes, if she wants to leech off of a good looking and rich man she needs to be very attractive, and if she's not, she has no business complaining. Maybe she should cut back on the twinkies a bit and exercise more.

She had the nerve to complain about why someone doesn't have more money and buy more things, she can't get a man like that so she needs to look in the mirror.

dadudemon
Maybe i'm interpreting this wrong but can you really say someone not being the sexiest girl around is their fault?

The rare exception are deformed people, sure.

But for "ugly" people, hard work (education, job, surgery) can turn you from an ugly duckling into a swan. smile

That's pretty much what he's saying and I agree with it. I don't want to focus on the rare exception, though, as that's not really in the spirit of the context of his post.

Tha C-Master
We agree again, isn't that nice? smile

Although I must say that applies for men. Women and money don't matter as much, but it works both ways. If a girl is super hot, she can work at McDonald's and guys won't care. Guys would bang a random hot chick over Oprah Winfrey.

Guys can use money or looks, but if they don't have either, they can make it up with money. Just the way it is.

ADarksideJedi
IN GOD WE TRUST... others pay cash! stick out tongue

jalek moye
Originally posted by dadudemon
The rare exception are deformed people, sure.

But for "ugly" people, hard work (education, job, surgery) can turn you from an ugly duckling into a swan. smile

That's pretty much what he's saying and I agree with it. I don't want to focus on the rare exception, though, as that's not really in the spirit of the context of his post.
Eh attractiveness is subjective, I wasn't even talking about ugly people. i just think its pretty flawed to blame someone for not looking as good as someone else in your eyes. I can't see it as someones personal fault for not being what you think is perfect appearance naturally.

Tha C-Master
Eh attractiveness is subjective, I wasn't even talking about ugly people. i just think its pretty flawed to blame someone for not looking as good as someone else in your eyes. I can't see it as someones personal fault for not being what you think is perfect appearance naturally. Not that subjective, and complaining about why someone doesn't have a better car? Where does she get that right? If she doesn't like it, she can find someone who is better looking and more successful, but clearly she can't. So it's her fault. I hope nobody has sympathy for her.

jalek moye
How is it not subjective people do have different views on whats more attractive? Barely any i know has the exact same tastes. And many people think a girl is alright that another thinks is hott. Yeah she doesn't have the right never said she did, i just also don't think it's fair to be like "Man that ***** at shit cuz she wasn't born sexier. Her fault for not getting surgery for me" or something. That's what I'm talking about the belief that a girls to blame in every case for simply not looking how u want them to.

Is being poor a crime?

I take it you're just complaining that western societies are bursting with morons so warped by consumerism, so utterly empty and so pathetically eager to receive the type of validation (from other likeminded retards) that conspicuous consumption may garner them, that they measure people's worth based on their capacity to buy frivolous garbage. yes, that's how things are.

some laws do criminalize behaviors and living conditions associated with poverty such as homelesness, e.g.: vagrancy laws

you get thorns
I believe people's opinions on this change as they age. Life experience will force thoughts into ones head that will get there no other way.

Ignorance and arrogance will always be a handicap to some but not all.

Tha C-Master
How is it not subjective people do have different views on whats more attractive? Barely any i know has the exact same tastes. And many people think a girl is alright that another thinks is hott. Yeah she doesn't have the right never said she did, i just also don't think it's fair to be like "Man that ***** at shit cuz she wasn't born sexier. Her fault for not getting surgery for me" or something. That's what I'm talking about the belief that a girls to blame in every case for simply not looking how u want them to.

It is subjective to an extent, but humans are programmed to like certain features. Put a deformed person with their face halfway falling off vs a supermodel and people would choose the supermodel, even if she wasn't their type.

Now. You're not paying attention. What gives her the right to complain about what someone else drives or what someone else makes. She has the right to find a better looking, more successful guy. No different than a guy has a right to find a better looking girl. But if she doesn't have the looks to get a better looking, richer guy, that's her problem, not his. No different than a guy wanting a swimsuit model and being too ugly and poor to get one. Don't blame the other person as nobody is making you stay, look at yourself.

Nobody has to look like I want them to, I'll find a person to meet my standards, I'm responsible for that. No different than someone complaining that the person they're with is a loser or a deadbeat. Nobody is making you stay. It's your fault you're there.Originally posted by 753
I take it you're just complaining that western societies are bursting with morons so warped by consumerism, so utterly empty and so pathetically eager to receive the type of validation (from other likeminded retards) that conspicuous consumption may garner them, that they measure people's worth based on their capacity to buy frivolous garbage. yes, that's how things are.

some laws do criminalize behaviors and living conditions associated with poverty such as homelesness, e.g.: vagrancy laws They're not getting validation from anybody who truly has something, just the other fools who keep up with the Joneses anyways.

They're not getting validation from anybody who truly has something, just the other fools who keep up with the Joneses anyways. which is what I said.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by 753
which is what I said. I was just making it clearer. Good we agree on that then.

theICONiac
You know what the worst is???

UGLY POOR PEOPLE.

Damn them straight to hell

jiggy

Tha C-Master
Lol, at the dance.

It is statistically proven that better looking people earn more on average, and of course people tend to hang around others like themselves and date others like themselves. People who have more money and look better date better looking people who also have more money. They tend to have better looking kids and live in better areas. Anybody who lives or has been to an upper class area has seen how good looking the people are compared to the poorer areas. Richer areas=better schools and better hospitals etc.

It's all one continuous cycle.

theICONiac
Lol, at the dance.

It is statistically proven that better looking people earn more on average, and of course people tend to hang around others like themselves and date others like themselves. People who have more money and look better date better looking people who also have more money. They tend to have better looking kids and live in better areas. Anybody who lives or has been to an upper class area has seen how good looking the people are compared to the poorer areas. Richer areas=better schools and better hospitals etc.

Then how come I am not filthy rich??? naughty

Tha C-Master
Marry a hot rich woman.

theICONiac
Marry a hot rich woman.

Are you a hot rich woman?

Tha C-Master
Sorry no. I'm a guy, but the other stuff might not be far off. stick out tongue

Magic_attack
Lol, at the dance.

So according to this statistic linking looks to monetary status- where do you place yourself? stick out tongue

How you doin C?

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by Magic_attack
So according to this statistic linking looks to monetary status- where do you place yourself? stick out tongue

How you doin C? Poor and hideous. wink embarrasment

What's up! Do my eyes decieve me!?! eek!

Symmetric Chaos
Lol, at the dance.

And that's the way it should be yes

alltoomany
lol I've meet many ungly wealthy people and thier kids are ungly too

Tha C-Master
lol I've meet many ungly wealthy people and thier kids are ungly too Many of those people are old though. It's a statistically proven fact that people who are more attractive make more money. They get more promotions, sell better, more likely to be trusted by people who want to deal with them. People with more money tend to dress better, have better hair care, lotions, diets, etc. People who are poorer tend to have worse diets and clothes.

Go to a rich area whenever you get a chance and check out the people. The chicks are *much* hotter in rich areas, and by beaches. The further you tend to be from the water, the fatter and uglier the people get. In my poor hometown where I was born, there's nothing there but fat ugly single mothers, the hot chicks move to the areas where the good looking and rich people live. That's why areas like Miami, Atlanta, LA, and New York have more hot chicks on average. More money.

Go to the Country Club one day, or the Chateau Elan or somewhere like that. There aren't these huge fat chicks running around like you see at the supermarket or Wal-Mart, they just aren't there. You don't see huge fat ugly guys there. Go to a really expensive (couple hundred dollars or more per dish minimal). No huge cows there. Really hot chicks.

Go to McDonalds, Burger King, Popeyes, see the ratio of ugly fat people there.

You know it's true. lol

alltoomany
Many of those people are old though. It's a statistically proven fact that people who are more attractive make more money. They get more promotions, sell better, more likely to be trusted by people who want to deal with them. People with more money tend to dress better, have better hair care, lotions, diets, etc. People who are poorer tend to have worse diets and clothes.

Go to a rich area whenever you get a chance and check out the people. The chicks are *much* hotter in rich areas, and by beaches. The further you tend to be from the water, the fatter and uglier the people get. In my poor hometown where I was born, there's nothing there but fat ugly single mothers, the hot chicks move to the areas where the good looking and rich people live. That's why areas like Miami, Atlanta, LA, and New York have more hot chicks on average. More money.

Go to the Country Club one day, or the Chateau Elan or somewhere like that. There aren't these huge fat chicks running around like you see at the supermarket or Wal-Mart, they just aren't there. You don't see huge fat ugly guys there. Go to a really expensive (couple hundred dollars or more per dish minimal). No huge cows there. Really hot chicks.

Go to McDonalds, Burger King, Popeyes, see the ratio of ugly fat people there.

You know it's true. lol

Please! I'm a Make-up artist! Worked all over... and trust me! you and your info are wrong! There are UGLY RICH PEOPLE in the world!

-Pr-
Please! I'm a Make-up artist! Worked all over... and trust me! you and your info are wrong! There are UGLY RICH PEOPLE in the world!

I really don't think he meant every single solitary person. just a majority, which is true, i'd say.

Though dissing Burger King? Oh hells no.

Tha C-Master
You nailed it on the head. That's all I was saying.
Please! I'm a Make-up artist! Worked all over... and trust me! you and your info are wrong! There are UGLY RICH PEOPLE in the world! I thought it was clear that I was talking in general. There are exceptions to everything. Why is it when I say these things to people (particularly females) they take it as a personal sting or something? The exception doesn't disprove the rule.

There are men out there who don't have penises, but they generally do, and I shouldn't have to say that all the time. It's just a given. People who are more attractive tend to earn more money and date people like themselves, that's a fact.

jinXed by JaNx

Is being poor a crime?

no youe plumber is juat a douche

menokokoro
It is a crime if they aren't trying to get more. If they are simply waiting for someone to give to them, then they don't deserve anything.

alltoomany
You nailed it on the head. That's all I was saying.
I thought it was clear that I was talking in general. There are exceptions to everything. Why is it when I say these things to people (particularly females) they take it as a personal sting or something? The exception doesn't disprove the rule.

There are men out there who don't have penises, but they generally do, and I shouldn't have to say that all the time. It's just a given. People who are more attractive tend to earn more money and date people like themselves, that's a fact.

So what do you say about Donald Trump?

People make up lots of Facts that they would like for people to believe.

Tha C-Master
So what do you say about Donald Trump? What about Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, etc. Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Jo, Ryan Reynolds, Shemar Moore, etc.

Anyways Donald Trump is 65 years old. When he was younger he wasn't as bad looking. Even then there are exceptions to every rule, like Oprah. Not to mention Donald Trump has a beautiful wife and a hot daughter, proving my point.

People make up lots of Facts that they would like for people to believe.
Yea people make up lots of facts, like ugly poor people who think looks and money don't matter. They want to believe it but they know it isn't true. How you look and how much money you make makes a big difference in your life. It changes who you date, what you do, and everything else.

People who are better looking tend to make more money and date better looking people. No woman wants an ugly poor man, and no man wants an ugly fat woman. Water seeks its level.

Name a rich good looking man with an ugly fat wife or girlfriend. Give me a list. I'll be waiting.

People get what they can get. Good looking successful people want other attractive people because they can get it, they can get the best and will get the best. That's a fact.

Single mothers, old women, fat women, ugly women, are for uglier and poorer guys who can't get any better. Beautiful women find men who are successful to take care of them. Ugly, fat, and old women have to work harder to be successful, which is why women who have to earn their money tend to be ugly. They have no choice and have to make their own money because no men will take care of them.

Tha C-Master
Here are some studies and facts and videos (don't know why I need them, but):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5yVcXg2XfE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-dmo-Xqbds&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ53NvljAJ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y67V-AR6R78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjEB1ObgEkA&feature=relmfu

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/beautiful-people-earn-12-more-than-ugly-bettys-461261.html

http://moneyland.time.com/2011/03/30/why-are-beautiful-people-happier-mainly-because-good-lucks-help-them-get-rich/

http://www.zmescience.com/research/beautiful-people-earn-250000-extra-on-average/

http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/08/news/funny/beautiful_money/

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-07-20/news/27070380_1_newsweek-beauty-discrimination

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2009/05/16/Study-says-beautiful-people-earn-more/UPI-51601242502700/

menokokoro
What about Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, etc. Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Jo, Ryan Reynolds, Shemar Moore, etc.

Anyways Donald Trump is 65 years old. When he was younger he wasn't as bad looking. Even then there are exceptions to every rule, like Oprah. Not to mention Donald Trump has a beautiful wife and a hot daughter, proving my point.

Yea people make up lots of facts, like ugly poor people who think looks and money don't matter. They want to believe it but they know it isn't true. How you look and how much money you make makes a big difference in your life. It changes who you date, what you do, and everything else.

People who are better looking tend to make more money and date better looking people. No woman wants an ugly poor man, and no man wants an ugly fat woman. Water seeks its level.

Name a rich good looking man with an ugly fat wife or girlfriend. Give me a list. I'll be waiting.

People get what they can get. Good looking successful people want other attractive people because they can get it, they can get the best and will get the best. That's a fact.

Single mothers, old women, fat women, ugly women, are for uglier and poorer guys who can't get any better. Beautiful women find men who are successful to take care of them. Ugly, fat, and old women have to work harder to be successful, which is why women who have to earn their money tend to be ugly. They have no choice and have to make their own money because no men will take care of them. Agreed. Not saying it's good, but I agree with pretty much everything you said here.

But like you said, there are exceptions, people think beauty is different than what other people do. Some people (the majority) like thin, big breasted women, while others value a good smile more than anything else. Anyway, I completely got off track, there is one thing I disagree with, attractive people don't generally make more money. Those people you listed off (the attractive ones) are movie stars, being an actor is one of the only profession where looks directly influence the job. The majority of people who make lots of money are there because they 1)Worked hard to get where they are. 2)Had a great idea, and made it happen (again, working hard) 3)Have a natural talent for their profession. That last one is a little more rare than the first two.

Now, successful people do tend to be more attractive, but it is because they take care of themselves, they are healthy, and that is generally an attractive feature, not that they were attractive and they became successful because of it.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by menokokoro
Agreed. Not saying it's good, but I agree with pretty much everything you said here.

But like you said, there are exceptions, people think beauty is different than what other people do. Some people (the majority) like thin, big breasted women, while others value a good smile more than anything else. Anyway, I completely got off track, there is one thing I disagree with, attractive people don't generally make more money. Those people you listed off (the attractive ones) are movie stars, being an actor is one of the only profession where looks directly influence the job. The majority of people who make lots of money are there because they 1)Worked hard to get where they are. 2)Had a great idea, and made it happen (again, working hard) 3)Have a natural talent for their profession. That last one is a little more rare than the first two.

Now, successful people do tend to be more attractive, but it is because they take care of themselves, they are healthy, and that is generally an attractive feature, not that they were attractive and they became successful because of it. Beauty is subjective to an extent, but not totally, that's obvious. People have their types, but they hit certain categories like symmetry about the same.

The majority of men in America like thin, flat butt, big breasted women. Men in other parts of the world like Brazil like bigger butts, and so do different cultures. Symmetry, smiles, figures are all genetically encoded for us to be attracted to.

And no that's wrong, I just put up several links that prove what I say. Men in business executives and whatnot earn more, sell better, and get more promotions, they also get better attention.

They work hard, no doubt about that, but their looks play a role. Their looks give them a boost. It's one big cycle. People who look better tend to make more money, tend to get more promotions, tend to sell better in their business, tend to be paid to advertise (models, actors, etc.) Look at singers, they're also generally attractive. People hang around and date others like themselves. Men who are attractive and rich tend to date attractive women, and have better looking kids. These kids grow up in more wealthy areas which have better education and healthcare. People who have more money tend to have better diets and cosmetic care. It's one big cycle. This is why in richer areas you see much more better looking people than in poorer areas, this is no accident.

Now even if people are talented, that alone won't always do it. Brittany Spears made it because she was hot and marketable, which is probably more important than being talented nowadays. If Brittany Spears looked like Rosie O' Donnel she wouldn't have been successful. Her singing "ability" had nothing to do with it.

The reasons that models actors, singers, etc make more money is for a key reason: They generate more revenue. This is no different in business. People who are attractive sell more, just like better looking people sell clothes better, and movie tickets better.

Oh and I'm not saying they're *not* talented, they are, it's just that if two people are equally talented and work equally hard and are equally smart, the better looking person will go further.

People taking care of themselves helps, but if you are ugly and fat it won't make a big difference how much you wear makeup or use shampoo, there's more to it than that. Ugly and fat people have to work harder to achieve the same success a good looking person does.

menokokoro
And no that's wrong, I just put up several links that prove what I say. Men in business executives and whatnot earn more, sell better, and get more promotions, they also get better attention.

They work hard, no doubt about that, but their looks play a role. Their looks give them a boost. It's one big cycle. People who look better tend to make more money, tend to get more promotions, tend to sell better in their business, tend to be paid to advertise (models, actors, etc.) Look at singers, they're also generally attractive. People hang around and date others like themselves. Men who are attractive and rich tend to date attractive women, and have better looking kids. These kids grow up in more wealthy areas which have better education and healthcare. People who have more money tend to have better diets and cosmetic care. It's one big cycle. This is why in richer areas you see much more better looking people than in poorer areas, this is no accident.yeah, everything you said is true (apart from me being wrong big grin) but you are misreading what I said a bit (or I wasn't clear...probably the latter). The way I read what you were saying is "It pays more to be good looking more than having something to legitimately contribute to society." which is plain wrong. Yes, you are more likely to be successful than the person who has the same resume as you, if you are prettier than him/her, but if there is someone else, who isn't as pretty as you, but he/she works exceptionally hard, performs better than everyone else, or has a much better idea, that person will be rewarded more than the pretty one. (and these are the people who control the world).

Now even if people are talented, that alone won't always do it. Brittany Spears made it because she was hot and marketable, which is probably more important than being talented nowadays. If Brittany Spears looked like Rosie O' Donnel she wouldn't have been successful. Her singing "ability" had nothing to do with it. We are speaking in generals, so saying "that won't always do it" is irrelevant. You are also speaking about pop icons once again, they are SEEN by millions and millinos of people, so looks are very important, most people aren't trying to compete with britney spears. look at bill gates, steve jobs, etc, they had EXCELENT ideas, and worked their butts off to get there, they aren't particularly attractive. but those are a few exceptional cases, look at lawyers, judges, Business owners, computer programmers, etc. Being greatly talented in those fields is vastly more important than being attractive, so if you are much better than the more attractive person looking for the job, they will likely get it. Also, I don't know how often you have been to court, or talked to a lawyer, or doctor, or whatever, the most successful aren't exactly the most beautiful....at least that has been my experience.

The reasons that models actors, singers, etc make more money is for a key reason: They generate more revenue. This is no different in business. People who are attractive sell more, just like better looking people sell clothes better, and movie tickets better. The reason models, actors, singers, etc make more money is because people are horny, and they like seeing pretty things. But that makes up what .00001% of the job market (completely made up figure, just making a point). I'll agree that salesmen are better off to be attractive, but that doesn't mean that I'm wrong about hard workers being better off, and there are more jobs than just sales and pop icons.

Oh and I'm not saying they're *not* talented, they are, it's just that if two people are equally talented and work equally hard and are equally smart, the better looking person will go further. agreed. but you said that better looking people are generally more successful, I'm just saying that isn't true, it is the hard workers, the talented, the great inventors, that are generally more successful. Beauty is just gravy.

People taking care of themselves helps, but if you are ugly and fat it won't make a big difference how much you wear makeup or use shampoo, there's more to it than that. Ugly and fat people have to work harder to achieve the same success a good looking person does. And they are better for it, and in the long run more valuable than the pretty person, so when they are both middle aged, and there is another wave of sexy twenty five year olds, the one who had to work harder will be appreciated much more, and will be more successful.

Symmetric Chaos
agreed. but you said that better looking people are generally more successful, I'm just saying that isn't true, it is the hard workers, the talented, the great inventors, that are generally more successful. Beauty is just gravy.

All else being equal an attractive person will go farther (or the same distance more easily). This isn't a consequence of being good looking, just of how people react to you and want to be around you. This isn't a hypothetical, it's been tested across a wide variety races, species, ages, cultures, and contexts.

menokokoro
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
All else being equal an attractive person will go farther (or the same distance more easily). This isn't a consequence of being good looking, just of how people react to you and want to be around you. This isn't a hypothetical, it's been tested across a wide variety races, species, ages, cultures, and contexts. ...you're missing my point. I'm saying that most successful people aren't the pretty people, they are the people who worked for it. But yes, I do agree with your statement.

Symmetric Chaos
...you're missing my point. I'm saying that most successful people aren't the pretty people, they are the people who worked for it. But yes, I do agree with your statement.

Actually I'd say (and lots of successful people say) that the way you get there is to have a lucky break that you're able to recognize and then work for it. The majority of the world population that works hard for their whole lives will never make any progress because they're not in a position to do so.

Tha C-Master
All else being equal an attractive person will go farther (or the same distance more easily). This isn't a consequence of being good looking, just of how people react to you and want to be around you. This isn't a hypothetical, it's been tested across a wide variety races, species, ages, cultures, and contexts. You got it.

yeah, everything you said is true (apart from me being wrong big grin) but you are misreading what I said a bit (or I wasn't clear...probably the latter). The way I read what you were saying is "It pays more to be good looking more than having something to legitimately contribute to society." which is plain wrong. Yes, you are more likely to be successful than the person who has the same resume as you, if you are prettier than him/her, but if there is someone else, who isn't as pretty as you, but he/she works exceptionally hard, performs better than everyone else, or has a much better idea, that person will be rewarded more than the pretty one. (and these are the people who control the world).

We are speaking in generals, so saying "that won't always do it" is irrelevant. You are also speaking about pop icons once again, they are SEEN by millions and millinos of people, so looks are very important, most people aren't trying to compete with britney spears. look at bill gates, steve jobs, etc, they had EXCELENT ideas, and worked their butts off to get there, they aren't particularly attractive. but those are a few exceptional cases, look at lawyers, judges, Business owners, computer programmers, etc. Being greatly talented in those fields is vastly more important than being attractive, so if you are much better than the more attractive person looking for the job, they will likely get it. Also, I don't know how often you have been to court, or talked to a lawyer, or doctor, or whatever, the most successful aren't exactly the most beautiful....at least that has been my experience.

The reason models, actors, singers, etc make more money is because people are horny, and they like seeing pretty things. But that makes up what .00001% of the job market (completely made up figure, just making a point). I'll agree that salesmen are better off to be attractive, but that doesn't mean that I'm wrong about hard workers being better off, and there are more jobs than just sales and pop icons.

agreed. but you said that better looking people are generally more successful, I'm just saying that isn't true, it is the hard workers, the talented, the great inventors, that are generally more successful. Beauty is just gravy.

And they are better for it, and in the long run more valuable than the pretty person, so when they are both middle aged, and there is another wave of sexy twenty five year olds, the one who had to work harder will be appreciated much more, and will be more successful.

Again, people who are better looking have a easier time being successful and don't have to work harder. People who are less attractive do have to work harder to be more successful.

Actors, models, porn, anchors of course have to be good looking, and that's because they sell better and generate more revenue. I'm a business owner myself and I already gave you examples and links of people being better looking and getting better jobs, and earning more. Lawyers getting better judgements, execs making more when they are better looking. Right Bill Gates wasn't as attractive as others, but if he were, he'd be even more popular and successful. Just like Oprah. Oprah has tons of talent at what she does (like it or not). But if she was better looking she'd be even more successful if she were more attractive. They have easier time selling products and getting deals than their less attractive counterparts.

I know many successful people and millionaires, and I know many rich areas as my company caters to upper class clientele, the ones who live in the richer areas look better, that's a fact. The ones who live in poor areas tend to look worse. Why do you think people who are good looking and successful that live in backwater poor places move to Atlanta, New York, LA, etc. Because there are better looking more successful people there. I hang with these people and know them. Also the people don't have to be filthy rich, even people who make six figures and whatnot are included.

Go to rich restaurants and see the level of attractiveness and dress of people vs a lower end restaurant there's a big difference. Neighborhoods like this are different, you see lots of hot women who have accomplished men beside them, because money and looks attract. Better genetics go with better ability to provide, it's genetic.

Not to mention sales is the most important part and lifeblood of any business. Business owners need to know how to sale, so do actors, models, and any job.

Again, Brittany Spears was not a talented singer and there are ugly people who are far less talented who don't do as well because they didn't have the same star power and marketability as these people do.

Beauty is not just gravy, beauty opens doors for people. Better looking people are treated better by peers and teachers, better looking people hang around people who have more money and looks like themselves which means they have a more exclusive social circle. Better looking criminals get lighter sentences. These are all facts and reality. Nature programmed us to like and want looks.

And yes better looking more talented people are more successful, than people who are good looking and not talented, *but* they are also more successful than their uglier equally talented counterparts. I believe in working hard, and I'm in no way implying that anybody who is good looking is rich, and anybody who is ugly is poor, but it is generally true.

Oh and entrepreneurs rule the world, and people who are successful take more risks. People who are more prone to taking risks tend to be more confident, and people who are more confident tend to be better looking. Nobody is saying people who are successful don't work hard (I'm a firm believer in that myself) it's just they go further if they are better looking.

There is a saying "C students rule the world". This is because people who are C students or college dropouts tend to think outside the box and own the businesses, and people who are A students tend to be better employees as they are more about following rules.

menokokoro
Actually I'd say (and lots of successful people say) that the way you get there is to have a lucky break that you're able to recognize and then work for it. The majority of the world population that works hard for their whole lives will never make any progress because they're not in a position to do so. You just agreed with what I said. I didn't say that ALL hard workers will be really successful, I said that most successful people are hard workers.

Tha C-Master
You just agreed with what I said. I didn't say that ALL hard workers will be really successful, I said that most successful people are hard workers.

Yes, and people who earn more money tend to be better looking, better looking people earn more on average.

People who are ugly and work hard can be successful, but they just won't earn as much as their better looking counterparts all considered equal.

Bardock42
Yes, and people who earn more money tend to be better looking, better looking people earn more on average.

People who are ugly and work hard can be successful, but they just won't earn as much as their better looking counterparts all considered equal.

Has that actually been looked into? Cause you seem to be presuming that what applies to bad vs good looking people also applies to hard working bad looking people vs hard working good looking people, which doesn't necessarily need to be the case.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by Bardock42
Has that actually been looked into? Cause you seem to be presuming that what applies to bad vs good looking people also applies to hard working bad looking people vs hard working good looking people, which doesn't necessarily need to be the case. Yes. I posted the study and links. People who are better looking not only sell more at their own business and get attractive only jobs, they also are more likely to get promotions and raises. Doesn't mean people who are less attractive can't make money, just they have the odds against them.

I actually remember you saying this yourself years ago.

Bardock42
Yes. I posted the study and links. People who are better looking not only sell more at their own business and get attractive only jobs, they also are more likely to get promotions and raises. Doesn't mean people who are less attractive can't make money, just they have the odds against them.

No, you miss my point. I agree with that, but it is wrong to extend that to "hard working people".

What we know is that on average better looking people make more money.

What we don't know, without further research is whether on average hard working better looking people make more money.

It's just something I've been wondering, perhaps the complete benefit of being pretty goes to, medium or lazy workers, for example.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by Bardock42
No, you miss my point. I agree with that, but it is wrong to extend that to "hard working people".

What we know is that on average better looking people make more money.

What we don't know, without further research is whether on average hard working better looking people make more money.

It's just something I've been wondering, perhaps the complete benefit of being pretty goes to, medium or lazy workers, for example. I know what you were saying and I said yes.

Although being "harder working" is more difficult to gauge, it is a key to success. The more ambitious attractive people simply go further.

One thing I will say with women is that women who are successful at business tend to be fat, ugly, and/or old. This is mainly because really attractive women don't generally have to work and find accomplished men to pay their bills. The women who have to work hard to make that money are unattractive people like Oprah, hence why women in the Forbes list tend to be so ugly. Really attractive women can earn more easier, they just are more likely to drop out the work force completely.

Women who study hard in school and "work their way to the top" are generally ugly for this reason.

YankeeWhaler
When Jay Leno first went to LA, he was arrested for having no money and no visible means of support. So up until recent last few decades, it was a crime.

It is like that Beatles tune Money Can't Buy You Love or happiness.

The happiest times I had were being broke, when I had money felt pressure to go out and buy something or go out to eat, hey we have it spend it. Those were the days I was the saddest.

YankeeWhaler
I have worked hard in the past and it is complete BS and not worth the money. Find an occupation that you love and brings value and put in the 10.000 hours into it and then you will start making some big bucks.

Do it before the optimism, realism and postivity fades.

Be careful though, folks will see that you enjoy what you do and will do there darndest to be energy vampires and discredit you. No one can be happy and make lots of money, its a complete fallacy.

I am surrounded right now with people that are millionaries and they do not work hard at all.

They are highly skilled people at the same time they are skeptical about I lot of things. The posess critical thinking skills and take zero crap from anyone. And astonsishly they don't dish out crap either and are very nice people.

YankeeWhaler
I know what you were saying and I said yes.

Although being "harder working" is more difficult to gauge, it is a key to success. The more ambitious attractive people simply go further.

One thing I will say with women is that women who are successful at business tend to be fat, ugly, and/or old. This is mainly because really attractive women don't generally have to work and find accomplished men to pay their bills. The women who have to work hard to make that money are unattractive people like Oprah, hence why women in the Forbes list tend to be so ugly. Really attractive women can earn more easier, they just are more likely to drop out the work force completely.

Women who study hard in school and "work their way to the top" are generally ugly for this reason.

There are plenty of good looking people that are himbos and bimbos.

A bit of a sweeping generalization. Do agree though that good looking people seem to have better access to opportunites, but if you don't a good set of people skills to go with it, they will crash and burn badly.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by YankeeWhaler
The happiest times I had were being broke, when I had money felt pressure to go out and buy something or go out to eat, hey we have it spend it. Those were the days I was the saddest.

Being able to eat makes you sad? What?

Tha C-Master
There are plenty of good looking people that are himbos and bimbos.

A bit of a sweeping generalization. Do agree though that good looking people seem to have better access to opportunites, but if you don't a good set of people skills to go with it, they will crash and burn badly.

Some are, because they can do so. As I said women who are attractive can live off of accomplished men.

And of course it is a generalization, we are talking in general, in a general discussion forum. Are there exceptions, sure, but the facts speak for themselves, facts that nobody bothered countering. Studies have proven this true.

As for people skills? People who are better looking tend to be more confident, charismatic, and socially accepted. They get more favorable responses from people. So that is another advantage they have.

Many ugly people are also stupid and lazy. In fact people who are uglier and fatter tend to be poorer and vice versa, and poorer people tend to be less educated.

I made a simple comment. Those that are better looking make more generally. That doesn't mean that all good looking people are more successful than all ugly people, it just means they *generally* are.

Mikey no 1
More of a crime to be rich. Most rich people trod on others and the really rich, have historical money, often stolen or exploited. Remember slave labour made the clothes you are wearing now.

Tha C-Master
Yes and those poor innocent lambs do nothing, they've all been exploited. Never mind those evil rich they only provide jobs and tax revenue and encourage home growth. lol

Mikey no 1
Thats right the alleged 14 year old girl who commits suicide in Disney factory in china because she was forced to work a140 hour week, sure deserved it. To bring western children cars toys.

Tha C-Master
Well Americans want things to be as cheap as possible, but they also want to be paid as much as possible for what they do. The work has to be produced somewhere to keep costs down. Maybe we should blame the middle class and poor for wanting things so cheap while also wanting to make more and more for the work they do.

YankeeWhaler

Is being poor a crime?

Well to hear women say that in the Western Culture should not be all that earth shattering.

We are all of us conditioned to be secular materialists first and then spiritual second, if at all. For some reason women wants guys with huge stacks of cash and possessions. That is not love, that is gold digging.

If it was not for guys thinking they need a strong desire to score a few times a week, not so sure any guy would want a gf.

Does keep the aspirn company in business though.

Tha C-Master
Well to hear women say that in the Western Culture should not be all that earth shattering.

We are all of us conditioned to be secular materialists first and then spiritual second, if at all. For some reason women wants guys with huge stacks of cash and possessions. That is not love, that is gold digging.

If it was not for guys thinking they need a strong desire to score a few times a week, not so sure any guy would want a gf.

Does keep the aspirn company in business though. You can score without the headaches and expense.

alltoomany
people look better looking standing on top of their money

Tha C-Master
It doesn't hurt dear. It helps men, women not so much... men would rather just bang a really hot chick working at McDonalds than an ugly, fat, or old rich chick.

alltoomany
It doesn't hurt dear. It helps men, women not so much... men would rather just bang a really hot chick working at McDonalds than an ugly, fat, or old rich chick.

Yes. And the Media sure does play it that way, too

Tha C-Master
Of course. Men care about looks primarily. Women like looks and money. They'd bang the hot guy, and marry the rich guy. If they can find a hot and rich guy, all the better.

jalek moye
Of course. Men care about looks primarily.

At first sure but for most after he relationships starts its not the primary factor otherwise they'd all split the moment a hotter girl shows up. does it happen? Of course but is that what normally happens imo not really unless its still early in the relationship or its a bad one.

not saying they want ugly girls but as long as they find them what attractive I don't think the level is the primary thing anymore.

Darth Jello
Too easy....

n8OIl9t9hjk

Isn't this the Randian/Republican national anthem?

Tha C-Master
At first sure but for most after he relationships starts its not the primary factor otherwise they'd all split the moment a hotter girl shows up. does it happen? Of course but is that what normally happens imo not really unless its still early in the relationship or its a bad one.

not saying they want ugly girls but as long as they find them what attractive I don't think the level is the primary thing anymore. We're talking about general attraction though, men lose interest when the attraction declines.

jalek moye
oh just having some sort of attraction a the main thing, yea then I agree.

Tha C-Master
oh just having some sort of attraction a the main thing, yea then I agree. That's the point I was making.

alltoomany
Yes. I posted the study and links. People who are better looking not only sell more at their own business and get attractive only jobs, they also are more likely to get promotions and raises. Doesn't mean people who are less attractive can't make money, just they have the odds against them.

Tend to disagree with that.. Have worked among Orothdox Jewish people and in my opinion, they seem to be less attractive and very wealthy.

Tha C-Master
Tend to disagree with that.. Have worked among Orothdox Jewish people and in my opinion, they seem to be less attractive and very wealthy. Many old school wealthy people also used to inbred. But that's one group of people.

Go to nicer areas or nicer restaurants in general and more attractive people are there. Go to a welfare line or a cheap place and you'll see less attractive people. People who are poorer are also more likely to be overweight in this country.

alltoomany
Many old school wealthy people also used to inbred. But that's one group of people.

Go to nicer areas or nicer restaurants in general and more attractive people are there. Go to a welfare line or a cheap place and you'll see less attractive people. People who are poorer are also more likely to be overweight in this country.

yes somewhat true.. however attitude goes a long way

Tha C-Master
Oh sure. I'm just saying better looking people get more leverage in a lot of areas. Even if you aren't naturally gorgeous, if you dress well and stay in good shape, you could still be a 6 which is slightly better than average looking.

-Pr-
Oh sure. I'm just saying better looking people get more leverage in a lot of areas. Even if you aren't naturally gorgeous, if you dress well and stay in good shape, you could still be a 6 which is slightly better than average looking.

Just because you're a ten doesn't mean you get to look down on the rest of us. uhuh

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by -Pr-
Just because you're a ten doesn't mean you get to look down on the rest of us. uhuh Looks can have their downsides. More drama and more crazy chicks, as you already know.

laughing out loud

YankeeWhaler
Beauty is subjective to an extent, but not totally, that's obvious. People have their types, but they hit certain categories like symmetry about the same.

The majority of men in America like thin, flat butt, big breasted women. Men in other parts of the world like Brazil like bigger butts, and so do different cultures. Symmetry, smiles, figures are all genetically encoded for us to be attracted to.

They work hard, no doubt about that, but their looks play a role. Their looks give them a boost. It's one big cycle. People who look better tend to make more money, tend to get more promotions, tend to sell better in their business, tend to be paid to advertise (models, actors, etc.) Look at singers, they're also generally attractive. People hang around and date others like themselves. Men who are attractive and rich tend to date attractive women, and have better looking kids. These kids grow up in more wealthy areas which have better education and healthcare. People who have more money tend to have better diets and cosmetic care. It's one big cycle. This is why in richer areas you see much more better looking people than in poorer areas, this is no accident.

Now even if people are talented, that alone won't always do it. Brittany Spears made it because she was hot and marketable, which is probably more important than being talented nowadays. If Brittany Spears looked like Rosie O' Donnel she wouldn't have been successful. Her singing "ability" had nothing to do with it.

The reasons that models actors, singers, etc make more money is for a key reason: They generate more revenue. This is no different in business. People who are attractive sell more, just like better looking people sell clothes better, and movie tickets better.

Oh and I'm not saying they're *not* talented, they are, it's just that if two people are equally talented and work equally hard and are equally smart, the better looking person will go further.

People taking care of themselves helps, but if you are ugly and fat it won't make a big difference how much you wear makeup or use shampoo, there's more to it than that. Ugly and fat people have to work harder to achieve the same success a good looking person does.

Looks don't have much to do with it when you are mature. True some people have more appeal than others. But we all know a pretty face don't mean a pretty heart. What I notice about a woman is her voice first. The tone and the pitch and then the eyes, the window to the soul.

That is because I am older now and know better, the physical parts are useless if what is going on between the ears is rotten and lazy.

Body size, or certain parts of the body or hair don't mean much at all to me, its the attitude that means more. The weight issue does perplex me though, as I wonder why fitness and such seems to be greatly neglected.

Is it just laziness or being down about something and reaching for comfort food?

Tha C-Master
Looks don't have much to do with it when you are mature. True some people have more appeal than others. But we all know a pretty face don't mean a pretty heart. What I notice about a woman is her voice first. The tone and the pitch and then the eyes, the window to the soul.

That is because I am older now and know better, the physical parts are useless if what is going on between the ears is rotten and lazy.

Body size, or certain parts of the body or hair don't mean much at all to me, its the attitude that means more. The weight issue does perplex me though, as I wonder why fitness and such seems to be greatly neglected.

Is it just laziness or being down about something and reaching for comfort food? Well when people are older they are less likely to be hired. I'm not saying people who are good looking are more likely or less likely to be nice. That varies from person to person. Just that they are more likely to earn more. On average.

Yes it's laziness. We're the fattest country on Earth after all.

alltoomany
is it crime to kill yourself if you are poor, then?

Parmaniac
men would rather just bang a really hot chick working at McDonalds than an ugly, fat, or old rich chick. thumb up

inimalist
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Too easy....

n8OIl9t9hjk

Isn't this the Randian/Republican national anthem?

the republicans are to rand what the nazis were to neitzsche

King Kandy
Actually I think Rand's philosophy is much more harsh than even what current republicans would suggest.

Symmetric Chaos

JUH1H-b-N5o

inimalist
Originally posted by King Kandy
Actually I think Rand's philosophy is much more harsh than even what current republicans would suggest.

sure, in some ways. my point is that there are fundamental misunderstandings at the core of each comparison. hitler thought neitsche was giving the wink and the nod, saying that Jews needed to be exterminated and all that (simplified, I know) whereas modern republicans seem to think rand was in favor of a state that had no ability to enforce the regulations/contracts that people and the state engage in. I'm not making a pro rand or pro neitzsche point, just pointing out that rand would, IMHO, not support a vast amount of modern republican policy, as it undermines those contracts and essentially weakens the ability of the state to do the limited things she would support the state doing

lord xyz
I want President Kucinich. ermm

King Kandy
sure, in some ways. my point is that there are fundamental misunderstandings at the core of each comparison. hitler thought neitsche was giving the wink and the nod, saying that Jews needed to be exterminated and all that (simplified, I know) whereas modern republicans seem to think rand was in favor of a state that had no ability to enforce the regulations/contracts that people and the state engage in. I'm not making a pro rand or pro neitzsche point, just pointing out that rand would, IMHO, not support a vast amount of modern republican policy, as it undermines those contracts and essentially weakens the ability of the state to do the limited things she would support the state doing
Not to mention, Rand considered Objectivism incompatible with Christianity and said she considered the latter an evil philosophy... something I doubt most republicans would agree with.

inimalist
Originally posted by King Kandy
Not to mention, Rand considered Objectivism incompatible with Christianity and said she considered the latter an evil philosophy... something I doubt most republicans would agree with.

oh ya, as soon as you get out of the economic things, rand would be against almost all republican positions. she was not a social conservative.

YankeeWhaler
Being able to eat makes you sad? What?

Going on out to eat is expensive.

alltoomany
it is not a crime to be born poor.

alltoomany
If it is a crime to be poor then I can honestly say that Hitler had the right idea.

rudester
I sometimes have money and I sometimes dont..its a doggy dog world out there.

alltoomany
Originally posted by rudester
I sometimes have money and I sometimes dont..its a doggy dog world out there.

That is wrong. It's a dog eat dog world.
and I still feel that if it is a crime to be poor, Hitler had a very good Idea, kill the people with the money.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.