Astronomy Question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lucius
If I know the degree of a planet's axis and the eccentricity of its orbit, how would I use that information to calculate the length of its seasons and how sharp or soft of a transition the seasons would have?

I'm working on a hard sci-fi project and tying to figure out the weather for an alien planet.

alltoomany
need more info on the subject

Symmetric Chaos
Length of seasons seems like it should be a matter of how long it takes or orbit.

Lucius
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Length of seasons seems like it should be a matter of how long it takes or orbit.

I know how long the orbit is, I'm just not sure how to divide up the length of the orbit into seasons.

Like, I'm not sure how to calculate the difference in change of seasons between 11 degrees on the axis or 23 degrees, and that's what I'm trying to do so I can develop the calendar.

Mindship
Generally what I've done in the past is to keep entering (what I hope are) effective keywords into Google, hoping this will bring me to websites where my question is either directly answered, or I get enough info to figure it out on my own. Eg, in your case, try "hypothetical planet" or "worldbuilding" and see what pops up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.