Banana crops are under threat from a deadly fungal disease

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic

Robtard
STOCK UP ON BANANAS NOW!

-Pr-
for once, hating bananas is a positive...

King Kandy
I'd heard about this, tbh i'm looking forward to it. Stores will have to stock other kinds, and i'll get to try more varieties.

Stoic
Originally posted by King Kandy
I'd heard about this, tbh i'm looking forward to it. Stores will have to stock other kinds, and i'll get to try more varieties.

I heard many years ago that bananas had a large chance of going extinct, because of the fact that they have no way of fighting new diseases that may emerge in the future. I was surprised to see how fast this became a reality.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Stoic
I heard many years ago that bananas had a large chance of going extinct, because of the fact that they have no way of fighting new diseases that may emerge in the future. I was surprised to see how fast this became a reality.
Actually, this is not the first time this has happened. The reason we use the Cavendish is because the breed everyone used before that went extinct itself (in the 50s I think). The big reason why these bananas are so vulnerable is because they aren't able to seed, and are all clones of each other. So if a disease strikes, all the bananas will be equally vulnerable, with no beneficial mutations to protect them.

Robtard
Na, they have the genome stored. Modify it to be anti-fungus for this particular fungus; problem solved and we all go back to eating our genetically modified (take that Kirk Cameron!) bananas in time.

inimalist
are we really at that stage of genetic engineering?

like, I know it would be possible if there were another organism with the gene that could be implanted into the banana, but if there are no such organisms (which the scope of this fungus would suggest there aren't, imho), can we do that?

Robtard
They could possibly find another plant that is resistant to that particular fungus and gene-swap that element in. Granted, negative affects could occur but people don't seem to mind as long as the product is tasty and cheap.

Bananas are a multi-billion dollar industry, it will not be allowed to go down the shitter.

inimalist
I just don't see why other plants would have immunity to a banana fungus...

I might be thinking too much about bacteria/virus stuff though

like, we have no resistance to plant viruses, if they ever jump species they can do massive damage

Originally posted by Robtard
Bananas are a multi-billion dollar industry, it will not be allowed to go down the shitter.

oh, no, totally, I was just wondering about the genetic engineering stuff. I can't wait until we can just order up genes to implant into stuff.

King Kandy
It won't "go down the shitter", they will just start selling a different breed of bananas... this is not like the one indispensable banana or anything. It is not even the most used one worldwide. That 99% figure is totally wrong, the Plantain banana is way more popular.

inimalist
all the college girls are going crazy for plantains

Robtard
Probably another type of banana would be the best bet. Though I do recall reading that some species of corn (at least in the US) has various genes from other sources; some not corn.

inimalist
in terms of the research (not what is or has ever been available on the market) you can put genes from fish into vegetables and stuff like that, so it is totally possible...

I guess, ya, if there are other bananas that aren't impacted, it seems like an easy fix.

Barker
Originally posted by inimalist
all the college girls are going crazy for plantains
haermm

RE: Blaxican
I'm sure the white man will save our bananas.

Robtard
Indeed.

theICONiac
Originally posted by King Kandy
It won't "go down the shitter", they will just start selling a different breed of bananas... this is not like the one indispensable banana or anything. It is not even the most used one worldwide. That 99% figure is totally wrong, the Plantain banana is way more popular.

The Cavendish is the most popular 'dessert' banana...you would not send King Kandy Jr to school with a Plantain in his lunch.

Robtard
Originally posted by theICONiac
The Cavendish is the most popular 'dessert' banana...you would not send King Kandy Jr to school with a Plantain in his lunch.

Or would he...

theICONiac
Originally posted by Robtard
Or would he...

Hmmm...maybe. Along with a raw turnip and a bottle of Blueberry Melon Strawberry Orbitz.

King Kandy
Originally posted by theICONiac
Try frying a plantain. They caramelize and become more than sweet enough for my tastes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.