Obama offers economic plan to Congress

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iulBRJ-YR0Qp-z_z1pZE9hCgQ16w?docId=753d4051e25746358c8a311a06414354

Thoren
Copy/paste next time.

I can't be bothered by clicking a link.

Robtard
Originally posted by Thoren
Copy/paste next time.

I can't be bothered by clicking a link.

Obama: "Yo, here's my plan to fix the country, accept it and stop the clown-house in the government"

Republicans: "Yo, this isn't anything new; it's just a revamp of what you've sold us over the last few years. Shit isn't working now; it won't work in the future."

Thoren
That is like, spot on.

herbshock

King Kandy
This is Obama to a t. Everything about this plan screams "too late".

What he should have done, was given this speech back when the debt sealing debate was happening. He should have said "Well, you want tax cuts? I'll give you tax cuts, that actually benefit the middle class instead of the rich. You want jobs? I'll give you a plan that benefits the employees not the tycoons."

In that case, he would have been the one leading the discourse, you know, being a leader. By letting the Republicans go first and get everything they want, and then putting in his own proposal, means Obama is following discourse set by the republicans, making him a follower. I like my president to be a leader not a follower. I hate to say this, but if Obama acted more like Bush this country would be in much better shape.

Mindset
I don't think Obama cares.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by King Kandy
This is Obama to a t. Everything about this plan screams "too late".

What he should have done, was given this speech back when the debt sealing debate was happening. He should have said "Well, you want tax cuts? I'll give you tax cuts, that actually benefit the middle class instead of the rich. You want jobs? I'll give you a plan that benefits the employees not the tycoons."

In that case, he would have been the one leading the discourse, you know, being a leader. By letting the Republicans go first and get everything they want, and then putting in his own proposal, means Obama is following discourse set by the republicans, making him a follower. I like my president to be a leader not a follower. I hate to say this, but if Obama acted more like Bush this country would be in much better shape.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ewUmEmxkvTY/S4xYfIGB5gI/AAAAAAAAPZE/fmf3iRJi6lE/s400/George+W.+Bush+miss+me+yet.jpg

King Kandy
Originally posted by Mindset
I don't think Obama cares.
I think he does, since his poll numbers are getting worse by the day and his ability to win re election is increasingly in doubt. There was a good New York Times article today about how party leadership is in an absolute frenzy to come up with ways to bring his numbers up, and this plan basically is his attempt to do so. Which is why it only offers short-term stimulus (so he can look better during the campaign period, then figure out what to do later).

Mindset
I think he does, since his poll numbers are getting worse by the day and his ability to win re election is increasingly in doubt. There was a good New York Times article today about how party leadership is in an absolute frenzy to come up with ways to bring his numbers up, and this plan basically is his attempt to do so. Which is why it only offers short-term stimulus (so he can look better during the campaign period, then figure out what to do later). If he actually cared he would have done something before now.

He is either inept or apathetic. I really don't see how it could be anything other than these.

King Kandy
If he actually cared he would have done something before now.

He is either inept or apathetic. I really don't see how it could be anything other than these.
Super inept. One of the most clueless politicians i've seen. It took his poll numbers getting this low to make him start scrambling to recover, if he knew what he was doing he would have started so much earlier.

dadudemon
Yeah, he lost this election, already.

Just like Kerry lost the election to Bush (Bush didn't win...people had no choice but to default to him).

Mindset
Super inept. One of the most clueless politicians i've seen. It took his poll numbers getting this low to make him start scrambling to recover, if he knew what he was doing he would have started so much earlier. It just doesn't make sense. You wouldn't even have to be a good politician to know what he needed to do. Anyone with reasonable intelligence and common sense would know.

theICONiac
From all appearances Obama will be gone as of the next election.

So instead of ushering in a new golden age for the US as predicted ( wink) when elected history will view him more as a curiosity as the first black president who did nothing of note...instead of the saviour of the American race he was built up to be.

Robtard
Obama will win 2012. Just saying.

King Kandy
It just doesn't make sense. You wouldn't even have to be a good politician to know what he needed to do. Anyone with reasonable intelligence and common sense would know.
My theory is that his advisers are telling him the wrong stuff, and he believes them.

King Kandy
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yeah, he lost this election, already.

Just like Kerry lost the election to Bush (Bush didn't win...people had no choice but to default to him).
Just what did you hate about Kerry so much? He seemed like the clearly superior candidate to me.

dadudemon
Just what did you hate about Kerry so much? He seemed like the clearly superior candidate to me.

I agree: I would have preferred Kerry over Bush.

You never heard the concept that Kerry lost the election, Bush didn't win?

It was his "Kerry-ness", that cause him to lose. This can only be expressed in video clips and sound bites.

Lemme see if I can find something.

Maybe this.

http://stephenheiner.blogspot.com/2008/05/why-john-kerry-lost-2004-election.html

And, disregard the title of the website because it DOES make good points:

http://www.rightwingnews.com/john/whykerrylost.php

Here's another "decent" write-up.

http://www.slate.com/id/2109145/

Also, John Kerry will forever be the "don't taze me, bro" presidential candidate.

inimalist
he couldn't shake the "flip-flopper" thing either...

King Kandy
It was Bush's brilliant smear campaign that won the election imo, not any actual deficiencies in Kerry...

dadudemon
It was Bush's brilliant smear campaign that won the election imo, not any actual deficiencies in Kerry...

I disagree and so do a lot of political pundits. I felt vindicated when I found out I wasn't the only one that got irritated when Kerry would go off into his soliloquy's that didn't actually say anything. I mean, how can you talk for an entire minute but actually end up saying nothing?

I remember that Ira Glass gave a nice analysis of what I'm talking about but I could not find the piece he put together. It had excellent sound bites followed by him voicing his frustration over Kerry's ways.

inimalist
I dont think the "Kerry lost because he didn't invigorate his base" theory is mutually exclusive to the "the Republican smear machine was very effective" theory...

Darth Jello
Wouldn't it be awesome if this stimulus was demand driven and involved over a trillion in spending offset by a nice fat tax hike on the rich and corporations and an additional whopping war tax on the defense industry? That would actually be a jobs plan.

lord xyz
Kerry lost because half of America is retarded.

King Kandy
This is interesting; apparently Obama is going to try and pay through this bill w/ only tax increases on the rich. Finally.

BrZoh4IuIvA

Robtard
The rich won't like this at all and it's going to bring out all the "Reagan glory days" people.

Darth Jello
This is interesting; apparently Obama is going to try and pay through this bill w/ only tax increases on the rich. Finally.

BrZoh4IuIvA If it was back to Kennedy levels I would vote for him and included provisions to make outsourcing incredibly unprofitable I would consider voting for him. If he managed to ram it through congress by using the justice department as a cudgel against all the obviously bought and paid for congressmen, i'd vote for him.

But this is Obama so the only provision that will be left is the failed Georgia works free labor model which will hike up unemployment and will be paid for by taxing people who can't afford it even more.

King Kandy
Obama has declared he will veto any deficit bill that doesn't include the "Buffett Rule" (a smart name to choose, btw). Meanwhile, Boehner claims he'll stop any bill that does include it. And yet, if its stalemated, they have to go to the automatic backup plan which is huge military cuts the Republicans will hate. So Obama really has all the leverage in this situation; if he loses this fight it will prove he never wanted to win in the first place.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.