Why do many Americans make fun of British people??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mt774
Why will many Americans make fun of British people??? I have noticed that a lot of American political commentators and public figures will often like to talk about British as if they are adult talking to kid, it will be very condescending towards those British and in sitcoms as we often see the British character will mostly be seen as "wimpy" and "weak" and easily dominated by those Americans, and they say the British will have bad teeth. Why?

Mairuzu
james bond is pretty bad ass

Thoren
Probably because Brits never shut their mouths about Americans. Even most of the Brits on here, act like Americans are beneath them.

I personally don't have a problem with Brits, I love the accent, and I'll be going to London in January on business.

Mist_haermm
Probably because Americans are all fat and stupid and need someone to project hatred onto link-rape

Thoren
Originally posted by Mist_haermm
Probably because Americans are all fat and stupid and need someone to project hatred onto link-rape NEEDLESS AMERICAN RANT mad

link-rape

Mist_haermm
Was expecting a needless lawsuit instead link-rape

Thoren
Oh, it's coming. link-rape

Mist_haermm
http://www.hawaiireporter.com/fat-man-sues-burger-chain-because-chairs-are-too-small/123

haermm

mt774
I mean i have seen many British people who have normal teeth so i dun get why they must have bad teeth according to Americans?

Digi
You really don't get the collective xenophobia vibe in this country? It's not just England. They actually get it way less than most. I also know sober Irish, Asians who aren't spectacular at math, etc. etc. It's just a collective story we tell ourselves because of our in-group/out-group mentality that helps us feel secure (and is likely a bi-product of evolutionary trends that helped us form alliances and enemies).

But you're from England so I can see how that would grab your attention. Stereotypes exist everywhere though.

dadudemon
Do you have any specific examples? Because I cannot think of any modern examples that fit what you're talking about.

Most British archetypes are well educated, high socioeconomic status, and grumpy. That's not THAT bad of a stereotype.

Jamaicans have the best stereotype in American media: weed smokers, laid back, hard working, and are good at dancing, music, rapping, singing, etc. I have never run across a truly negative stereotype about Jamaicans.

BakaXero
How can you be both laid back and hardworking?

Mairuzu
Originally posted by BakaXero
How can you be both laid back and hardworking?

Depends on your definition of laid back.

mt774
Originally posted by dadudemon
Do you have any specific examples? Because I cannot think of any modern examples that fit what you're talking about.

Most British archetypes are well educated, high socioeconomic status, and grumpy. That's not THAT bad of a stereotype.

Jamaicans have the best stereotype in American media: weed smokers, laid back, hard working, and are good at dancing, music, rapping, singing, etc. I have never run across a truly negative stereotype about Jamaicans.
Yes i have example, when Sean Hannity interviews a British guest then he will be always addressing them in different manner to American guest, for eaxmple, he will ask them question twice but in a different manner maybe he must be thinking something like that British guest didn't understand question first time of asking.

dadudemon
Originally posted by mt774
Yes i have example, when Sean Hannity interviews a British guest then he will be always addressing them in different manner to American guest, for eaxmple, he will ask them question twice but in a different manner maybe he must be thinking something like that British guest didn't understand question first time of asking.

Man, I have to see an example of this. Point me to a clip. I'd probably be able to find a clip of Hannity doing the same to a celebrity. big grin

But I'd like to point out that you'd have a hard time finding a single well-educated American that doesn't think Hannity is being a douchebag. Even idiots think people like Hannity and O'Reilly are just plain ***holes.

mt774
Man, I have to see an example of this. Point me to a clip. I'd probably be able to find a clip of Hannity doing the same to a celebrity. big grin

But I'd like to point out that you'd have a hard time finding a single well-educated American that doesn't think Hannity is being a douchebag. Even idiots think people like Hannity and O'Reilly are just plain ***holes.
Well one time Mr Hannity was doing it when he interviewd Christopher Hitchens who has very plumy British accent.

and speaking of accents, they had a family guy episode where a British football team were being shown as gay and needing steroids inside them to play on team with Peter and against those more macho and muscly American teams.

Digi
An anecdote, or even a series of anecdotes, isn't data. You're not backing your claim very well here.

Family Guy also makes fun of everyone, including Americans. It's cherry-picking to take only one example and ignore the rest.

Thoren
Originally posted by Mist_haermm
http://www.hawaiireporter.com/fat-man-sues-burger-chain-because-chairs-are-too-small/123

haermm Heard that on the radio. That nigga cracks me up, they have tables, with pull out chairs, and he wants to sit in a booth. crylaugh

Cherrywild
How come various individuals of various ethnicity and cultural diversity use profanity, litter and live their lives in a standstill of judgement rather than live in a manner that promotes their personal growth and well being?

Robtard
I have never run across a truly negative stereotype about Jamaicans.

Watch Predator II, ass.

mikeydude

So true.

ADarksideJedi
Being that my mum was born in England I don't make fun of them but alot of cartoons like Family Guy does. I really don't find it that funny at all.

parenthesis
Family Guy goes over board making fun of British.

And mostly it seems to be our politeness and sophistication that they make fun of the most.

Probably jealousy. ermm

§P0oONY
I wouldn't say that the Americans target us any more than we target them. If anything we give the Yanks a harder time than they give us.

Things like Family Guy insult everyone... They just don't tend to do it particularly well.

parenthesis
Holy shit. Spooony's back!

§P0oONY
I wouldn't say I was back.... I just pop my head in every now and again.

majid86
I think it's mainly the accent that is used as a joke trying to say that Brits are soft which can be true or false depending which way you look at it.

parenthesis

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by parenthesis

And mostly it seems to be our politeness and sophistication that they make fun of the most.

Probably jealousy. ermm and teeth. smile

jinXed by JaNx
You know, i was wondering the same thing about british people when i spent two months in sheffield. Being an American in England is like being that dick head that pumps his jungle beats in gridlocked traffic...,everyone hates you. I was never aware that there was a condescending attitude towards British people in America. My friends from England are treated like Rockstars when they come to Pittsburgh. Chicks love the English accent here.

Kharhmah
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
You know, i was wondering the same thing about british people when i spent two months in sheffield. Being an American in England is like being that dick head that pumps his jungle beats in gridlocked traffic...,everyone hates you. I was never aware that there was a condescending attitude towards British people in America. My friends from England are treated like Rockstars when they come to Pittsburgh. Chicks love the English accent here.
That's what you get for going to Sheffield.

Should have gone to stay in West Yorkshire as opposed to South, we're nicer. yes

Sancty
Originally posted by mt774
Why will many Americans make fun of British people??? I have noticed that a lot of American political commentators and public figures will often like to talk about British as if they are adult talking to kid, it will be very condescending towards those British and in sitcoms as we often see the British character will mostly be seen as "wimpy" and "weak" and easily dominated by those Americans, and they say the British will have bad teeth. Why?
It's often the other way around, in England American accents are seen as funny and stupid sounding slide Also people always say Americans are fat and loud etc

There's stereotypes for every nation jaja
Originally posted by parenthesis

Probably jealousy. ermm
laughcry

Transmaniacon
because we're Americans

Astner
Everyone makes fun of the Brits. The only few good things that have come out of that godforsaken country is Iron Maiden and Warhammer.

That ACDC Chick
because Magikarp

ADarksideJedi
English tv shows are also one of the good things from England.

Kharhmah
Originally posted by Astner
Everyone makes fun of the Brits. The only few good things that have come out of that godforsaken country is Iron Maiden and Warhammer.
Oh you, you so delusional. awesome

dadudemon
The only few good things that have come out of that godforsaken country is Iron Maiden and Warhammer.

And don't forget Kharmah and her super delicious boobs. awesome

Astner
Originally posted by Kharhmah
And now when I'm back from the The New Official "What do you look like" Thread, I can with confidence avow that I stand by my previous assertion.

Kharhmah
And now when I'm back from the The New Official "What do you look like" Thread, I can with confidence avow that I stand by my previous assertion. Originally posted by Kharhmah

And don't forget Kharmah and her super delicious boobs. awesome
Oh, pshaw. giggles

DoctorMitchel
>Barker threads still at top of forum
>Only reason to keep coming back to OTF

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.