Drive

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
Why is there not a thread on this? I caught it last night and it was my favorite movie in the last couple of years (at least since Inglorious Basterds). The movie was great from start to finish and was so tense that even scenes where they simply eat dinner are filled with suspense. Anybody else see it? What are your thoughts?

Robtard
I thought it was meh.

The violence was pretty awesome due to it being unexpectedly over the top and the two driving sequences were pretty decent, but overall it was: see Ryan Gosling in his car. See Ryan Gosling sitting. See Ryan Gosling starring off into the distance. See Ryan Gosling thinking. See Ryan Gosling tinkering.

Not something I'd watch again.

Myth
Even when it was as you described, I thought the film work and music kept the tension going. I think most movies these days try so hard to make sure there is always diialog or action, and skip on the tension building scenes where nothing is directly happening. This felt old school like a lot of old classics that had no problem just showing the actors looking, walking, driving, etc.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Myth
Even when it was as you described, I thought the film work and music kept the tension going. I think most movies these days try so hard to make sure there is always diialog or action, and skip on the tension building scenes where nothing is directly happening. This felt old school like a lot of old classics that had no problem just showing the actors looking, walking, driving, etc.

I agree. Even the scenes that were essential Gosling staring intently came off as incredibly dramatic and intense thanks to the score and audio cues. The electronica / electro-pop sound track and the throbbing heart beat baseline combined with some top not acting instilled the sense that building tension was going to boil over any second with explosive violence. Incredible acting, directing, cinematography, matched with a near perfect score / sound track. My only complaint is the song choice when Driver was fallowing Ron Pearlman's character. The film definitely has that oldschool fell you mentioned, Gosling is essentially channeling the ghost of Steve McQueen, and the direction has the feel of vintage Michael Mann or maybe Sam Peckinpah.

Funny how you say this is your favorite movie since Inglorious Bastards. Driver is like the opposite of a Tarantino movie. A nuanced, understated and introspective thriller, Tarantino wouldn't understand either of those words if they introduced themselves to him and then decked him clean in the face. evil face

Mindset
Is this supposed to be a more dramatic Transporter?

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindset
Is this supposed to be a more dramatic Transporter?

Not so much, Transporter was just cheese action with a throw-away plot. It's more character driven than goal, but it's like they tried to make an art-house film to appeal to all and threw in classic block-buster elements with the violence scenes and car cases.

Reminded be a bit of Lynch, but I like most of Lynch's films, he knows how to make 'weird' work well.

Myth
Funny how you say this is your favorite movie since Inglorious Bastards. Driver is like the opposite of a Tarantino movie. A nuanced, understated and introspective thriller, Tarantino wouldn't understand either of those words if they introduced themselves to him and then decked him clean in the face. evil face

Yeah, they are both great at building tension, but in very different styles. Drive builds tension through much more silence. Basterds built tension by having Hans Landa talk nicely to people when you knew at any moment he was going to suddenly call people out for their lies.

Thoren
Ryan Gosling is Hollywood's it boy right now, I'm surprised it didn't do better than it did.

Myth
He is? This is his first movie that I really liked.

jinXed by JaNx
I was well impressed with this movie. I can, however, see how this movie could be interpreted as monotonous. Its one of those movies that you will either love or hate. It takes it's time to develop characters and is meticulous in setting up each scene. There were times where it felt like the movie would have benefited from a bit more accelerated pacing but one thing is for sure...,this movie exudes style

The Nuul
The soundtrack to this is amazing.

The Nuul
As for the movie, the first chase is amazing and pays tribute to Mcqueens Bullit. Then is slows right down, it was getting a bit boring, then a small chase, then slowed down again for the rest of the movie.

It was border line boring.

7/10

roselina
I have not this movie....I watched only the trailer of this movie.....
Trailer is too good of this movie... I am very excited to watch this movie...

Mindset
Don't they speak english in Australia?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.