Why do people love X-Men :First Class

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

michelponting
Hi guys,
If you watch this movie then please share with us, Why do people love X-Men :First Class ?

X-24
It was refreshing to see everyone young and different from what they are like in the old x men movies. And I loved how all of them evolved so much by the end of the movie. That movie has everything: personal drama, social issues, relationships, friendship, and life choices. And it has very powerful and memorable scenes as well. I liked how it showed what made the characters who they are today.

tstarnes
There were parts I liked about it, but overall I don't get the love. I mean it wasn't bad, but no where close to X2.

Also, the whole cuban missle crisis thing was kinda dumb.

Ridley_Prime
I dunno. This is the first X-Men movie that I feel actually rivals X2 United. Whether it's better is up to debate.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I dunno. This is the first X-Men movie that I feel actually rivals X2 United. Whether it's better is up to debate.

And I heard it was actually good. sad

celestialbodies
While I loved it, you know what I think X-men First Class biggest problem was it didn't have any of the big name X-men in it like Jean, Scott, Ororo, or Wolverine.

roughrider
Originally posted by celestialbodies
While I loved it, you know what I think X-men First Class biggest problem was it didn't have any of the big name X-men in it like Jean, Scott, Ororo, or Wolverine.

There was a film that had just that - it was called X-Men, and it was released in 2000.

And since this is a prequel/reboot that deals with Professor X and Magneto as younger men, how are they supposed to have the aforementioned mutants when it was clearly before their time? Considering this has become a universe with virtually hundreds of mutant characters - and need fresh blood out there for new films - to stay with the same group every time out can't be expected.

Besides, the stars of this film were clearly Charles and Erik; James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender owned the screen when they were on.

rotiart
When I saw all the wolverine love in the second and third movies over Scott. I was pissed off. It was so much pandering to build up to the wolverine movie.

I honestly felt that first class was better than x1,2,3 and even the wolverine spinoff.

The redeeming nature of those other films was the night crawler fight.

Remember that the original x men were about five teenagers coming to grips with life. It was like a coming of age story which first class does better. Because it isn't trying to showcase the big actors it gets away with a little more.

Placidity
I thought it was decent. Magneto and Xavier were well done. Shaw was okay too. The rest of the cast/acting was pretty bad though, probably the biggest shortfall of the film.

The plot/screenplay wasn't that good either IMO.

C-3POTheClever
I thought it was pretty good, but some parts were better than others & I don't think it's very good as a prequel to the original X-Men trillogy. There's just loads of inconsistancies & contradictions.

mr.smiley
I really enjoyed first class myself. It wasn't exactly the X Men film I wanted,then again none of them have been as a huge fan,but I liked it much better than X1,X3,Or XOW.
Why did I like it?
Not sure,other than it was exciting and I had fun watching it.

-Pr-
After watching it, I can comfortably say that it's my favourite of all the X-Movies.

Ridley_Prime
See? I knew even you would end up liking it. stick out tongue

-Pr-
See? I knew even you would end up liking it. stick out tongue

It had Fassbender, it had McAvoy, and whatsername.

It was well-written, well acted, and all in all what an X-Men movie should be, imo.

Except Emma Frost. She was crap imo.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, they gave Emma a crappy role compared to almost everyone else, though her character did still have some charm for me in the movie. Her portrayal wasn't as bad as it could've been, I guess is what I'm saying.

Aside from her though, couldn't agree more on the film, and if they give us a nicely executed younger version of Cyclops in the sequel to this "prequel series", I'll easily forgive them not having Scott in First Class.

-Pr-
Yeah, they gave Emma a crappy role compared to almost everyone else, though her character did still have some charm for me in the movie. Her portrayal wasn't as bad as it could've been, I guess is what I'm saying.

Aside from her though, couldn't agree more on the film, and if they give us a nicely executed younger version of Cyclops in the sequel to this "prequel series", I'll easily forgive them not having Scott in First Class.

I didn't like the actress much either, tbh. I've steadily become a bigger Emma fan over the last few years, so I might be just a bit too picky.

Agreed. All I want is one, solid Cyclops portrayal in a movie. He was almost decent in the first movie, but yeah. He needs to have the role in the movie(s) that he does in the comics, is all.

peejayd
Originally posted by -Pr-
All I want is one, solid Cyclops portrayal in a movie.

^ this

DARTH POWER
What was great about this movie is how it revolved around Charles and Eric, and the difference in the way they see the world.

Oh and it had actual "Actors", not "Stars". That was just great. It's my favorite X movie by far. In fact it's in my top 5 all time favorite superhero movies.

And I just can't wait for the sequel. It's going to be Epic!

celestialbodies
Originally posted by roughrider
There was a film that had just that - it was called X-Men, and it was released in 2000.

And since this is a prequel/reboot that deals with Professor X and Magneto as younger men, how are they supposed to have the aforementioned mutants when it was clearly before their time? Considering this has become a universe with virtually hundreds of mutant characters - and need fresh blood out there for new films - to stay with the same group every time out can't be expected.

Besides, the stars of this film were clearly Charles and Erik; James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender owned the screen when they were on.

You misunderstand if X-men the first film was given the treatment that XM-FC was then it would have been a much more successful movie because it included a group of characters people love and have a shared connection with. That's what I'm getting at change is good and I realize that but using characters that people are aware of Mystique, Beast, Prof.X, and Magneto notwithstanding would of only made a good movie great as long as the characters as a whole drive the plot versus one X-man as done with Wolverine in the X-Trilogy and thats my own personal opinion.

I thought XM-FC was an enormous step in the right direction but to gain the emotional depth that is the X-men you use the X-men and whether you agree or disagree with whose considered "X-men" that is up to you. But I think instead of a Prequel no matter how good it was the X-films in general would of benefitted greatly from a reboot and get to the heart of the characters.

Darth Jello
One of the things I appreciated was that the movie reminded a lot of fans that even before the Avengers, the X-Men were a government team. They were a covert FBI sponsored-operation, using a government developed, classified training program from Children Of the Atom #1 Through Uncanny #46 when their FBI liaison and co-founder, Fred Duncan disbanded them.
A lot of people don't know that.

Zack Fair
Cold War makes everything better.

NeoTrinity
X-2 was better

DARTH POWER
Nah.. None of the Originals even touch First Class Imho.

But X2 was the best of those first 3.

-Pr-
First Class was the only truly good "X-Men" movie imo.

Clovie
It was nice.. but actually I wanted something more.. sad

can't wait to see the next movie.

Ridley_Prime
Don't expect too much out of it from what we know of it so far.

Clovie
I'm still hoping to get more of gambit..

DARTH POWER
Don't expect too much out of it from what we know of it so far.

Why's that? It's Days of Future Past dude! I have high hopes for this to be one of the best superhero sequels of all time.

Clovie
It is supossed to have both older and younger versions of Magneto and ProfX, and Logan, Cyclops and pretty much everyone.. so why won't it be fun?

and according to ending of Last stand.. maybe Deathpool or more Gambit..

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Why's that? It's Days of Future Past dude! I have high hopes for this to be one of the best superhero sequels of all time.
Singer, need I say more?

Clovie
Elaborate please.
He's directing it, but didn't write the script

and you mean it's a bad thing or a good thing? he directed most of x-men movies anyway so I can't really see your point.

Ridley_Prime
The first two X-Men films he directed I didn't mind. Found they didn't age that well after awhile though. And then he abandoned having any part in X3 in favor of that horrible Superman movie. His bias against Cyclops is why Scott often got shafted in the movies as well, probably including why Cyc wasn't even in First Class but his brother in his place, though I can forgive that at least with how good the movie itself was.

The Singer X-Men films are good movies, just not quite good X-Men movies IMO, like First Class. With the FC sequel I was at first hoping to have something as good as it or better but with Singer directing again and Marsden returning as Cyclops again (who more than likely will have a very small role again, because Singer), it sorta feels like this sequel will mostly just be more of the same, instead of breaking the mold like First Class did. Could be wrong though. Hope I am, but eh.

I guess Singer being good or bad for X-Men depends on how you see it. Even in his films it was still mostly just about Wolverine, whereas with First Class in comparison every mutant with Xavier had a decent shot on screen. Suppose I would've preferred him as a writer again instead of a director if him writing FC made it as good as it was.

And since you mentioned Gambit earlier, I think him being in the sequel would definitely be a redeeming factor, especially if given a bigger role than what he had in Wolverine Origins. That Gambit was an okay portrayal for a first time, ignoring the small role he had.

DARTH POWER
Singer, need I say more?

Yes he is a risky factor and I understand the concern after the abomination that was Superman Returns. But I'm guessing he's not just going to rewrite the whole thing now that he's taken over.

He was a producer on First Class which Vaughn directed. It was going to be the same again this time until Vaughn dropped out of the Director's chair.

But he's still involved. Him and Singer have just swopped roles. But tbh First Class was a creation of both these guys anyway. Iirc it was talks between these 2 that lead to it. And it's the same case with the sequel.

So I still have high hopes.

ditto
Originally posted by -Pr-
First Class was the only truly good "X-Men" movie imo.

Darth Martin
Michael Fassbender was the lead. erm

Salthasha
I hated it, I hated the butchery of the actual origin of the X-Men, an origin like the fantastic four that never changed in the cannon itself.
Want to show Sebastian Shaw and screw up his power set that's fine he adsorbed Kinetic energy, re channeled it into physical prowess. You absolutely screw up the previously poorly done films like x-men origins wolverine, showing Emma as a very young girl being held by Striker.
Banshee is some inarticulate non Irish and Moira goes from the scots that she was on muir Island in x-3 to an American CIA agent.
This movie unraveled not only the continuity of the previous movies but undermined the continuity of the comic.
That being said the X-Men for 20 years carried Marvel as a success, Iron man was not ever a close rival in sales or popularity but the design team there felt it proper and good to follow a great storyline without flaw without compromise of the story to "make the movie acceptable to the masses". I feel watching X men first class insulted my knowledge and the great writing that preceded that shity screen play.
Vaughn needs to stick with kick ass and stay the hell out of The X-Men, Brian Singer needs to come out for air his head is way up his own ass, a new super power poo breathing.
As for the director of x-3 he should be banned for life, I hope singer can somehow pull all this crap out or else I will beg for a true reboot. Where it was Bobby Drake who was in jail for his own protection and where Scott summers is the older brother where banshee is Irish and Moira a geneticist on Muir Island. Where angel was warren worthington the 3rd and had feathers not pixie like wings where the culmination of powers looked like some screwed up hybrid of toad pixie and the plastered name of Angel.

This movie was the worst, of them all, that includes the horrible x-men origins wolverine. Perhaps its Fox studios that are at FAULT always rushing production to make that fast buck at the insult of the fan base.

The script should have been burned, yeah the nostalgia of the early 60's was ok could have been done straight, Xavier showing up in Nebraska at an orphanage offering Scott Summers a reprieve from his crappy life. Bobby In jail for his protection, Jean and her parents home and speaking with an adult banshee who is an Interpol agent, but offering assistance on the side rather than active.

In my opinion this movie was an epic fail, a betrayal. What it is is a disgusting attempt to try and tie all the broken parts of all the other crap movies FOX RUSHED to try and get out another x movie for millions. No more fox please No more singer no more vaughn no more Ratner.... seriously stop treating the X- Men like a flagship for the galactic stupid and stop creating Folly from them on the big screen.
Maybe we need Josh Whedon to direct the x men and over see its script and screenplay he will treat it with much deserved respect.
Brian did not have the balls to stay with X men for the phoenix saga one he saw as a three part movie filmed in the manner of the Lord of the Rings so as to not show aging. Instead he bailed for his failed attempt at Superman, and x3 was once more bully rushed by SHITTY FOX STUDIOS!
So we got ratners crap of a movie, I think it would have been more fun had Jackie Chan actually showed up as an insomniac drug addicted drunk and unemployed Mandarin seeking shelter with Magneto for his share of an Asian market when its all said and done, I mean that would not have screwed it up any worse.

I will watch X men days of future past with abated breath and I am not going in with any great expectations rather I will be hyper critical and hyperbolic should it maintain the standard of all x movies since x2.
This far color me underwhelmed, Financially they may be noted as success but real success is in not pissing off the true believers as Stan would say.

LordKaos
Originally posted by Salthasha
I hated it, I hated the butchery of the actual origin of the X-Men, an origin like the fantastic four that never changed in the cannon itself.
Want to show Sebastian Shaw and screw up his power set that's fine he adsorbed Kinetic energy, re channeled it into physical prowess. You absolutely screw up the previously poorly done films like x-men origins wolverine, showing Emma as a very young girl being held by Striker.
Banshee is some inarticulate non Irish and Moira goes from the scots that she was on muir Island in x-3 to an American CIA agent.
This movie unraveled not only the continuity of the previous movies but undermined the continuity of the comic.
That being said the X-Men for 20 years carried Marvel as a success, Iron man was not ever a close rival in sales or popularity but the design team there felt it proper and good to follow a great storyline without flaw without compromise of the story to "make the movie acceptable to the masses". I feel watching X men first class insulted my knowledge and the great writing that preceded that shity screen play.
Vaughn needs to stick with kick ass and stay the hell out of The X-Men, Brian Singer needs to come out for air his head is way up his own ass, a new super power poo breathing.
As for the director of x-3 he should be banned for life, I hope singer can somehow pull all this crap out or else I will beg for a true reboot. Where it was Bobby Drake who was in jail for his own protection and where Scott summers is the older brother where banshee is Irish and Moira a geneticist on Muir Island. Where angel was warren worthington the 3rd and had feathers not pixie like wings where the culmination of powers looked like some screwed up hybrid of toad pixie and the plastered name of Angel.

This movie was the worst, of them all, that includes the horrible x-men origins wolverine. Perhaps its Fox studios that are at FAULT always rushing production to make that fast buck at the insult of the fan base.

The script should have been burned, yeah the nostalgia of the early 60's was ok could have been done straight, Xavier showing up in Nebraska at an orphanage offering Scott Summers a reprieve from his crappy life. Bobby In jail for his protection, Jean and her parents home and speaking with an adult banshee who is an Interpol agent, but offering assistance on the side rather than active.

In my opinion this movie was an epic fail, a betrayal. What it is is a disgusting attempt to try and tie all the broken parts of all the other crap movies FOX RUSHED to try and get out another x movie for millions. No more fox please No more singer no more vaughn no more Ratner.... seriously stop treating the X- Men like a flagship for the galactic stupid and stop creating Folly from them on the big screen.
Maybe we need Josh Whedon to direct the x men and over see its script and screenplay he will treat it with much deserved respect.
Brian did not have the balls to stay with X men for the phoenix saga one he saw as a three part movie filmed in the manner of the Lord of the Rings so as to not show aging. Instead he bailed for his failed attempt at Superman, and x3 was once more bully rushed by SHITTY FOX STUDIOS!
So we got ratners crap of a movie, I think it would have been more fun had Jackie Chan actually showed up as an insomniac drug addicted drunk and unemployed Mandarin seeking shelter with Magneto for his share of an Asian market when its all said and done, I mean that would not have screwed it up any worse.

I will watch X men days of future past with abated breath and I am not going in with any great expectations rather I will be hyper critical and hyperbolic should it maintain the standard of all x movies since x2.
This far color me underwhelmed, Financially they may be noted as success but real success is in not pissing off the true believers as Stan would say. [/QUOTE

QFT!!

-Pr-
you hated first class, but liked x2. I'm sorry, but no. X2 has just as many abuses of the lore as FC does.

Ridley_Prime
If not more.

Salthasha
x2 used creative license, it did not absolutely butcher everything. Sorry not even close.

-Pr-
It butchered Cyclops, his relationship with Jean, it completely changed the Iceman character. It gave Wolverine way more influence over the team than he generally has, and the director pandered to Berry and Jackman more than he really should have.

It butchered as much as First Class did. And speaking as an Irishman, Banshee wasn't THAT badly represented.

Salthasha
Cyclops was protective of jean even in the comics, and speaking also as an Irishman, my opinion remains that the role was poorly done, and banshee was far too young. But like all things this is subjective you asked why people like it i gave a reason as to why i do not. I can write every mistake made on 2 as pertaining to God Loves man Kills and each discrepancy to them, I allowed some nonsense for x men and x men 2, But the butchery to the had far more creative license adjustments than x 2, if you like it great. Not an issue personally my biggest complaint is with Fox far more than singer, I would prefer Whedon step up to the x titles.
So from One Irishman to another Siochan Agus Dul.

-Pr-
I'm not talking about Cyclops being protective. I'm talking about his reduced influence in the movies when he's supposed to be a primary character, and the way they overplayed Jean's attraction towards Logan. At least Cyclops wasn't in FC for them to **** up.

I don't agree about Banshee, but fair enough.

Slainte.

DARTH POWER
X2 (and Last Stand) did completely butcher Cyclops and his relationship with Jean. In fact X's 1-3 were all just Wolverine movies. Anyone who thinks they were even close to the comics is delusional.

First Class had a few Origin mishaps simply because it was a Prequel to X1 and X2. The main mishap being they couldn't show the ACTUAL FC. Cyclops, Jean, Ice-Man, Angel and Beast.

But at least it was a great movie and pulled off the Brother/Enemy relationship between Charles and Eric really well.

Salthasha
The wolverine romance was exaggerated but not taken out of context to byrnes x men from 1975. And as a fan of cyclops he will never be treated fairly by Hollywood. They arent true fans of the book with the exception of again Josh Whedon who should be doing these films and not Singer.

My problem as stated why I hate fc is the total abandonment of every major character in the original team, beast was no geek he was a high school football standout, yes he was intelligent as well. Angel was an heir to a billionaire company, Shaw was never about overt control he was far more into covert mingling in world economics and undermining from the shadows that's why they referred to themselves The hellfire club as chess pieces. Bobby Drake was the one in jail for endangering himself, he also was a single child which singer got wrong in x2. If fc was just a movie then fine i would not be so adamant in my displeasure but they absolutely screwed the origin not just one character but Scott jean bobby warren and even the beast. In the early 60's Charles already knew banshee an adult Interpol agent, I have the books dating back to the 60's sadly though not the number 1 issue. The story could have been done far better but this was a written collaboration by a producer who you state treated cyclops unfairly in x2 well in fc he downright abandoned him and others for supporting cats members in a franchise that make little impact in the books. Scott is a major force in Marvel his abilities are debated he has absorption of cosmic radiation and re channels it through optic blasts, some writers have even toyed with the idea of him being a super numerate as a genetic gift allowing him the ability to instantly surmise not only the best angles but to plan decisively and flawlessly his battle field tactics by seeing mental images in accordance to person placement.

The fact is no Cyclops for years was written crappily, as a sycophantic pawn of xavier and now finally they made him who he always should have been a battle tested leader with no equal on tactics.
So I agree I never said x2 was great i just stated I liked it best of these movies truth is none of these movies do justice to the greatest comic book team of all time.
I really cant stand the creative teams that made them... again get Whedon involved and maybe those who have been following this drama since the 70s and have many of the 60's books in thier collection would respond better.

Supra
The first three were my favorite and wolverine.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.