Historian Argument for Christ

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nietzschean
Pliny: http://www.request.org.uk/main/history/jesus/jesus06.htm

Josephus : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus

Tacitus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus

I was recently listening a religious radio broadcast show and a profess scholar/historian who happens to be Christians blurts out the 3 names I put above.

Now as far as I know Josephus was not a contemporary and simply wrote down what others had heard or said but he was not witness to said events.

Now I had to look up Pliny and what i manage to find about him was a letter that he had written asking what he should do with christian followers. He did not confirm nor was witness to Yeshua himself so I do not understand how his letter about how to handle civil issues confirms the historical Yeshua?

Tacitus, I guess was the recipient of the letter from Pliny.

I just want to ask everyone's views and see if you can nipick and tear apart his argument. I thought he was clown shoes the minute he said, how do we know Caesar was real or if the Holocaust took place as an argument of how one historical event is more valid over another.

Last I check there are letters written by Caeser, bust of his likeness contemporaries who wrote about Caeser from inside Rome and his political actions as well as, Governors, Senators, rival nations, Kings/enemies. I dont know, I really like to hear what you guys think and your views about this guys argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUQMJR2BP1w&feature=related

Nietzschean
WUQMJR2BP1w&feature=related

dadudemon
Based on my own studies, I did not think there was a question of whether or not Jesus, the man, existed.

This was not the case for some portions of our knowledge of history, however.

The question is not whether or not Jesus existed, it is whether or not he had a divine mission and was, at the least, a prophet of God sent to deliver a genuine message of love and peace. That's a matter for the spiritual and not really science.

I would certainly love to meet Jesus during his ministry. I wonder if I could tell whether or not he was of the Divine by simply being around him? To a lesser extent, Buddha as well.

Mindship
I would say yes, given that (supposedly) when an elightened being looks at you, he (or she) is not looking at you solely with his egoic mind, but ultimately with the "eyes" of the Whole.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindship
I would say yes, given that (supposedly) when an elightened being looks at you, he (or she) is not looking at you solely with his egoic mind, but ultimately with the "eyes" of the Whole.

That's deep, man.

Seriously. Not pulling your leg.

Mindship
Originally posted by dadudemon
That's deep, man.

Seriously. Not pulling your leg. Merci.

BananaKing
The fact that Josephus mentioned John the Baptist and James the brother of Jesus is enough to put across a good point for Christianity anyway.

Imagine if John the baptist had never supported Jesus, the amount of people in Galilee believing the Gospels which say he did would have depleted quite a bit.

"Didn't John baptise Jesus and point him out as the prophesied messiah?"
"No, John himself denied it"
"Oh..."

I think if christian additions can be blamed for things, so can anti-christian omissions.....

King Kandy
I wonder if I could tell whether or not he was of the Divine by simply being around him?
Judas couldn't apparently (unless you believe the gnostics when they say, he was instructed to betray Christ), and he was one of the apostles!

Bentley
There is good chance Judas actully thought Jesus was divine, but wanted him to wage a war against Rome or something of sorts.

Edit: I mean, I'm pretty sure Judas had enough faith to heal the sick and exorcise the possesed, so he should have been illuminated at least at some point.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Bentley
There is good chance Judas actully thought Jesus was divine, but wanted him to wage a war against Rome or something of sorts.

Edit: I mean, I'm pretty sure Judas had enough faith to heal the sick and exorcise the possesed, so he should have been illuminated at least at some point.
Well, i'd say the "good chance" is that Jesus wasn't divine at all. Within the Bible, that sounds like a bit of a strained interpretation. Did Judas ever perform miracles? I don't remember him doing so, but that would be an interesting point if it were true. I would say that would support the "it was a set up" view, more than anything.

Bentley
Originally posted by King Kandy
Well, i'd say the "good chance" is that Jesus wasn't divine at all. Within the Bible, that sounds like a bit of a strained interpretation. Did Judas ever perform miracles? I don't remember him doing so, but that would be an interesting point if it were true. I would say that would support the "it was a set up" view, more than anything.

At some point Jesus sends the twelve into a mission, by groups of two, without belts nor money etc. etc., they are supposed to have done miracles by themselves during that "quest".

Also, even if Jesus wasn't divine nor seen as divine, for the Judas argument to work he only needed to think he was the mesiah -as per the jewish tradition, a militaristic leader- and that he would free them from Rome. Which is according to yet other Gospel accounts, something that some of the apostles thought.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bentley

The Apostles don't do miracles AFAIK until Acts, by which point Judas is dead.

Bentley
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

I think it is implied that they did. And I don't just mean stuff like Peter walking on water, nor the Zebedee brothers wanting to rain fire over people. At some point during the ministry Jesus tells them to go by groups of two healing people and exorcising demons. As far as the gospel goes they do such tasks, but they aren't narrated.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

I believe you are correct. I was in Acts chapter 2 that we get the "power" of "apostolic miracles". I do not recall any apostolic miracles before then...

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
I have a fictional superhero I created based largely off of someone I used to know in terms of mannerisms, power origins and certain actions they do or situations they get into.

Also, it would be astounding if the Romans hadn't killed a man named Jesus or that there wasn't a man named Jesus at some point that challenged the authority of what were tyrannical political/social/religious institutions, given how popular the name was in that period.

There is so much wrong with this that it makes my head hurt. To cut to the chase instead of typing up a 50,000 character essay, his name might have been "Yeshua Nasraya", not "Jesus".

I am partial to "Josh Josephson". laughing

However, this person is not, in any way, the same person as the bible discusses, and in fact, outside of some evidence of his execution, there is scant information about his life.

So because some elements may be wrong and/or embellished, it automatically makes them two separate people entirely? The answer is no, it does not. William Faulkner lied and embellished some things about his life but that does not make him cease to exist.

Almost all stories in the bible are laughably false,

This is a topic for another thread. But I consider this statement to be laughably ignorant.

from the idea of returning home for a census when Jesus was born,

Wait...are you saying no such thing happened?

to the actions of the ruling Jewish authority at the time of Jesus' death,

Wait...you're saying that the ruling Jewish clergy were not upset with someone claiming to be the great I Am? Surely you jest. Please tell me you're just trolling for lulz.

I'm sure I don't need to point out how much content from those stories is borrowed almost directly from previous stories and myths.

You mean things like virgin birth and divine essence? smile

Because someone named Jesus lived at some point is really not an answer to my contention that Jesus is a fictional character any more than the person I based my superhero on existing makes that character real.

Like, do you think Mohammed, as in, calls down angels to fight in wars and performs miracles, is a real person?

Yes. I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for both being an idiot and ignorant of this topic. Some people think I beat up a 9th grader (in the first grade), pooped in a water fountain, and put gum in the special-ed teacher's hair...but I didn't. So does that mean I ceased to exist because those stories were embellished or false?

But what if Mohammed really DID call down angels to fight for him? I do not rule out that possibility, either. Maybe I believe it to be 99% false, but I cannot entirely rule it out or else I commit a fallacy.

I mean, it is almost certain there was a person named Mohammed who spread Islam through warfare in the 500s/600s (somewhere in there, can't be bothered to look it up, lol), however, the character Mohammed in the Islamic faith is fictional.

You're arguing semantics, at this point, just to simply argue them. You were wrong, I corrected you. Deal with it and move on.

You honestly don't think people like Hercules, Jason, ... That guy Brad Pitt played... starts with an A I think... don't have origins in real life events?

You are the one arguing that, not me. Based on what I'm saying, I would be the one that said, "this legend may in fact be based on a real person."

However, with Heracles, it's more of a case "this person probably did not exist."

You've confused the weight of your argument. It is a case by case basis. You have innocently placed multiple legendary names in the same category when you cannot do that with any sort of scholarly attempt. You really do have to take a closer look at the actual evidence for each character.

Like, there is historical debate about whether the Trojan Horse,

A debate (in academic circles) that did not have much weight until recently and it had been relegated to myth and poetic fiction for centuries before that.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/05/0514_040514_troy.html

Lets pretend it didn't, how likely do you think it is that the characters of that story and its events don't reflect some form of real things that occurred?

Let's not pretend anything. I'll stick with what we know.

Now, does the fact that the story may be based on some things that happened make it anything even close to true?

Let's go back to my original point:

Does my point become any less contradicted by anything you have stated? No, it does not. In fact, I think you typed up a big long diatribe that ended up agreeing with me.

Jesus-God is definitely questionable. We agree there.

inimalist
I think you typed up a big long diatribe that ended up agreeing with me.

aside from the fact that, according to how many times you told me I was wrong, this is obviously not the case, it would mean you were in fact trolling me after I said that Jesus was a fictional character... As you seem to say the exact same thing...

dadudemon
aside from the fact that, according to how many times you told me I was wrong,

There are things you said that were wrong. Overall, I still think your opinion is wrong. But you sort of do agree with me...you just go the opposite direction right at the end with your conclusion.

it would mean you were in fact trolling me

This is an odd stance to take when I accused you of trolling me because of how absurd some things you were saying. You came off as someone that just became aware of anti-theism* rather than your generally educated and reasonable self. You did not seem sincere so I questioned whether or not you were trolling to get a laugh: which you do and have admitted to at times.

after I said that Jesus was a fictional character... As you seem to say the exact same thing...

I never said that. I only implied that some details may not be correct.

*Contrast that with an evangelical that just discovered anti-atheistic arguments. They both spew recycled arguments that are not very accurate.

inimalist
yes, I'm the ignorant one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_of_Quirinius#New_Testament

Digi
I don't know of much serious debate on the existence of the man. Or if there is one, it's kind of irrelevant, isn't it? Any productive debate stems from the veracity of his divinity, not whether or not he ever existed.

inimalist
ddm got butthurt that I called Jesus fictional in another thread...

Digi
I'm a bit butthurt right now too. Mongolian for lunch yesterday. I'm just hoping the Febreeze and bathroom door in our office stem the nasal onslaught enough that I don't get stoned.

inimalist
huh... I was having similar issues this week, maybe something is going around?

dadudemon
yes, I'm the ignorant one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_of_Quirinius#New_Testament

You just posted a link to a Wikipedia article that proves one of my points. Did you intend to do that?

Originally posted by Digi
I don't know of much serious debate on the existence of the man. Or if there is one, it's kind of irrelevant, isn't it? Any productive debate stems from the veracity of his divinity, not whether or not he ever existed.

This was indeed my overarching point as I made it quite clear multiple times.

ddm got butthurt that I called Jesus fictional in another thread...

Or rather, you got butthurt because someone corrected your comment. You practically raged at me which was never my intention. I tried to indicate my comment was lighthearted with the nerdy glasses reference (internet meme).

No worries: water under the bridge. It's not serious business.

inimalist
You just posted a link to a Wikipedia article that proves one of my points. Did you intend to do that?

if your point was that there is no evidence suggesting the census as depicted in the bible occurred, that it's description was inconsistent with roman practices, and that a similar incident that might have been what the story was based on happened years after and potentially under the rule of a different leader, then sure...

I think the issue, if that is the case, is that we have wildly different ideas about what constitutes fiction. for instance, to me, loosely based on events that may or may not have happened but definatly not as depicted constitutes a fictional event. maybe less fictional that, idk, the expanded star wars universe, but certainly not real in any way.

dadudemon
if your point was that there is no evidence suggesting the census as depicted in the bible occurred, that it's description was inconsistent with roman practices, and that a similar incident that might have been what the story was based on happened years after and potentially under the rule of a different leader, then sure...

No, my point is you said this:

"returning home for a census when Jesus was born,"

And prefaced it with this:

"Almost all stories in the bible are laughably false..."

When there are plenty of historical discussion concerning this. This wiki article you posted at me agrees with my sentiments: it's not that such a census never happened (hell, it even mentions that Roman citizens would do the traveling), it's the details of how it is told that are off.

"I arrived at work around 5" is not "laughably false" when you actually clocked in at 5:30.

Laughably false would be, "I worked all day at work from 6 am to 5 PM" when you actually spent the whole day, on the opposite side of the planet, having a party with a Saudi Arabian prince.

Basically, from when I was a small child, I knew that the image of "baby Jesus" in a manager is silly since Jesus would have been a toddler, at the youngest, and a boy at the latest...due to the timing of actual events.

Are you forgetting that I'm not a bible thumping literalist? You do know that one of the fundamental tenants of my religion is that the bible IS full of error, right? smile

My personal opinion on it is that the some of the Matthew account is incorrect. Not "laughably false" as you parade.

Ancestral return home? Maybe. Census? Maybe..and even probably. Conflicts in the New Testament? Most definitely. Does it destroy the foundation of believing in the divinity of Jesus Christ? Most definitely not. If your belief in Jesus Christ's divinity was tied solely to the notion of a census, you really missed the entire point.

The fact that it is still argued today (both sides from both sides...meaning...you have theologians, believers and non-believers alike, arguing both sides) means it is not settled. Not this notion of "laughably false".

The sweeping conclusions that you are parading speak to your position as being a tad-closed minded, don't you think?

I think the issue, if that is the case, is that we have wildly different ideas about what constitutes fiction.

No we don't. no expression

Stop using so many extreme adjectives. erm

for instance, to me, loosely based on events that may or may not have happened but definatly not as depicted constitutes a fictional event. maybe less fictional that, idk, the expanded star wars universe, but certainly not real in any way.

Correction:

Strongly based on real events that definitely happened but with some details that are conflicting or unclear.

inimalist
ok, so the answer is we just have different ideas of what fictional means. for instance, you seem to be arguing that something you agreed never happened is nonfiction...

dadudemon
ok, so the answer is we just have different ideas of what fictional means. for instance, you seem to be arguing that something you agreed never happened is nonfiction...

Your for instance is not true and is a strawman argument.

If you would like to quote me where I said I agreed that it never happened, be my guest.

inimalist
the line "strongly based on real events" for instance

dadudemon
the line "strongly based on real events" for instance

OH! So...the New Testament is NOT strongly based on real events, huh?

Well, glad you cleared that up for me.

erm

inimalist
no, something strongly based on real events is not the same as something being real...

dadudemon
no, something strongly based on real events is not the same as something being real...

Duh.

But that doesn't mean the entire thing false, either.

This is where you err.

I used the example of William Faulkner fabricating some of his young adult life as an example. He later fessed up to it. However, his admission did not magically cause him to cease to exist. This is what you're missing.

To continue the discussion, was Jesus a carpenter? I don't know for sure but my research indicates that he probably was not. It was a falsehood perpetuated by early Christians or mistranslation.

There's another error for you. You think this is a case of "believing in the foolish traditions of your fathers" and I see it as a case of "why Mormons are still right".

Amazing how we can get two different things from the same bit of information, huh?

inimalist
Duh.

But that doesn't mean the entire thing false, either.

This is where you err.

I used the example of William Faulkner fabricating some of his young adult life as an example. He later fessed up to it. However, his admission did not magically cause him to cease to exist. This is what you're missing.

To continue the discussion, was Jesus a carpenter? I don't know for sure but my research indicates that he probably was not. It was a falsehood perpetuated by early Christians or mistranslation.

There's another error for you. You think this is a case of "believing in the foolish traditions of your fathers" and I see it as a case of "why Mormons are still right".

Amazing how we can get two different things from the same bit of information, huh?

man... I'm really sick of you trying to argue points that I really don't care about

you admit the stories aren't true, I'm done

dadudemon
man... I'm really sick of you trying to argue points that I really don't care about

Man, I'm really sick you making everything about you.

I was bringing it back on topic with some more humor. Calm TFD.

you admit the stories aren't true, I'm done

I don't. Nor do I admit that they are true. I'll stick with gray.

inimalist
indeed, a conversation that you were trying to make about how Mormons are teh shit was all about me...

/ffs

socool8520
OH! So...the New Testament is NOT strongly based on real events, huh?

Well, glad you cleared that up for me.

erm

How can they be strongly based on true events? No one has proven that most of those stories ever actually happened. I do think Jesus existed, but he was probably no more divine than a preacher on the 700 network.

dadudemon
indeed, a conversation that you were trying to make about how Mormons are teh shit was all about me...

/ffs

Perhaps I should explain "what I did there".

When I put "believing in the foolish traditions of your fathers" in quotes, it was due to it actually being a requiring motif from the Book of Mormon used by "the bad guys" against "the good guys".

When I put "why Mormons are still right" in quotes, it was due to it capturing the various arrogant attitudes that many Mormons take about how "true" our gospel is and how "right" we are.

It was supposed to get a laugh because I waned to lighten the mood.

Originally posted by socool8520
How can they be strongly based on true events? No one has proven that most of those stories ever actually happened. I do think Jesus existed, but he was probably no more divine than a preacher on the 700 network.

That question is best answered by your own research.

I refer you back to my previous words:

"Jesus the man probably existed." The majority of the things you read about (not the divine stuff) in the New Testament either happened or are based on events that actually happened. As Digi stated, it is not about if Jesus the man existed, but if Jesus-God existed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.