Mara Jade, COO, Versus Vader, COO

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

truejedi
they fight each other with their abilities and weapons and try to hurt each other. or maybe. kill one another with those same things.

RE: Blaxican
I totally know what COO is. I'm being sarcastic. I have no freakin' clue COO means.

Zampanó
I'm lost. Are they trying to kill one another with their abilities and weapons?

ares834
Choices of One? I'm so confused...

truejedi
yeah, choices of one.

and yes, trying to kill each other with their weapons and abilities.

Turr_Phennir
Holistically, what Vader would do to Mara would likely best be described by the internet term "roflstomp."

But in Timothy Zahn's own personal universe, I'm sure this isn't quite so clear cut. He's the poster child for authorial self-indulgence.

Nephthys
How so?

truejedi
maybe. maybe not.

Originally posted by Turr_Phennir
But in Timothy Zahn's own personal universe, I'm sure this isn't quite so clear cut. He's the poster child for authorial self-indulgence.

They've already fought in his universe. As I recall, Mara's intellect and tactical awareness allowed her to hold him off briefly, but ultimately he was just on another level, power wise.

ares834

Not quite as bad as Karen Traviss but awful none the less... Having Thrawn warn Palpatine about the Ewoks was ****ing ridiculous.

Turr_Phennir
Neph
How so?

The gratuitous decisions he makes regarding Thrawn, Mara, Talon, C'baoth, and Kinman Doriana. Thrawn's the greatest mastermind in the history of the universe, Mara knows more about the Force than Luke, Talon's the greatest criminal in the galaxy since Jabba, Kinman Doriana was the architect of Palpatine's rise to power and someone so valuable that after his untimely demise Palpatine tried to replace him with Vader, Thrawn, and Mara to no avail, etc.

Zampanó
So is Mara Jade is going to use her abilities and weapons or her weapons and abilities? Because, well, when you stopped trying to write awkwardly you switched things up a bit shook things up a bit.

truejedi
mara jades weapons and abilities are definitly used to try to kill vader, and vader's abilites and weapons that he uses are used, most likely to try to kill his opponent. however his opponent might have superior abilities, though probably only equal weapons...

Turr_Phennir
Makes sense to me haermm

Stealth Moose
The gratuitous decisions he makes regarding Thrawn, Mara, Talon, C'baoth, and Kinman Doriana. Thrawn's the greatest mastermind in the history of the universe, Mara knows more about the Force than Luke, Talon's the greatest criminal in the galaxy since Jabba, Kinman Doriana was the architect of Palpatine's rise to power and someone so valuable that after his untimely demise Palpatine tried to replace him with Vader, Thrawn, and Mara to no avail, etc.

That's just horrible.

Turr_Phennir
SM
That's just horrible.

Tell me about it. I have respect for Zahn and for multiple reasons. First and foremost, he gave us Pellaeon. Distantly second, he gave us Thrawn and Mara.

Now with that said, he's definitely his own biggest fan. The reverence with which Thrawn was regarded in the Hand of Thrawn duology was sickening.

Stealth Moose
This is a big part of why I stay away from post-OT media.

Turr_Phennir
SM
This is a big part of why I stay away from post-OT media.

Essentially, the mere rumor of Grand Admiral Thrawn's return is sufficient to nearly fracture the New Republic entirely. Out of fear. Because he's just that damn good.

Stealth Moose
Essentially, the mere rumor of Grand Admiral Thrawn's return is sufficient to nearly fracture the New Republic entirely. Out of fear. Because he's just that damn good.

Wut

Turr_Phennir
SM
Wut

It's approximately 19 years post-Yavin and the Empire's been pushed to 8 sectors in the Outer Rim. Pellaeon is contemplating surrender; a devious Moff by the name of Disra plans to rejuvenate the Empire by hiring a skilled conman and actor to impersonate Thrawn and have a highly skilled tactician by the name of Grodin Tierce supply the strategies that would terrify the New Republic. This works and nearly disintegrates the galactic government out of fear. And that's before the psuedo!Thrawn actually starts strategizing. The mere sighting of him is sufficient to do this.

You know, I never paid much attention to the Thrawn duelogy's plot aside from Mara/Luke's marriage, since I thought it kind of sucked. But, you putting it that way... man. That is just awful.

Turr_Phennir
Indeed.

Then we have other nuggets such as Mara's belief that if Palpatine was a step ahead of everyone, Thrawn was "at least two steps"; Admiral Parck's testimony that Vader, Thrawn, and Mara were all attempts to replace the irreplaceable Kinman Doriana; Mara's assertion that Luke was mistaken in his belief that the reborn Emperor was actually Palpatine; Lando's assertion that C'baoth was more powerful than Vader; Pellaeon's musings that Thrawn and Thrawn alone was capable of saving the Empire; that Thrawn's Empire of the Hand was exponentially the size of the Imperial Remnant and could singlehandedly save the Imperial cause, etc.

mattatom
Were missing one big flaw here...

Mara can only be killed by a third hand

truejedi
he is that damn good! and the reverence for Thrawn is the very best thing we ever got, and you're just jealous because he makes Pelleaon admit several times in his thought that he was nowhere near as good as thrawn.

(However, Zahn, Thrawn. say the names a few times together, and it will make you giggle.)

Q99
Mara knows more about the Force than Luke,

This one I don't think is so bad. She was personally trained by Palps for years and years, he was largely self-trained and still working on retrieving lost knowledge.

truejedi
I SAID, say "Zahn, and Thrawn" a few times in your head and giggle. how many of you followed these simple instructions?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.