The Fellowship Vs Skynet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
Due to a C++ critical error Skynet is led to believe that Frodo must be stopped and sends a T-800 (Arnold T1 & T2) through a time-space-dimensional rift to Middle Earth during the time of the LoTR with the mission to kill Frodo.

The T-800 arrives naked and quickly kills an Urak-Hai while he's taking a piss and takes his clothing, armour and weapons(shield, sword and spear) and intercepts the Fellowship as they're approaching the entrance to Moria; they believe this human dressed as an Uruk to be some minion of Sauron.

*T-800 - Uruk sword, spear and shield (has been programmed with the knowledge of how to use said weapons)

Vs

*Legolas - Bow, Twin Long Knives
*Gimli - Battle Axe, throwing axe
*Aragorn - Sword, dagger
*Boromir - Sword, dagger, shield
*Gandalf the Grey - Staff, sword

The Hobbits are there and can factor in, though Frodo must survive.

quanchi112
Gandalf solos.

Robtard
Originally posted by quanchi112
Gandalf solos.

How so?

Nephthys
Its implied he could do so.

(Obviously he heats him up like he did with Aragorns sword and wtfpwnmelts him)

quanchi112
Originally posted by Robtard
How so? He beat a Balrog with his hand to hand skills which was more impressive to me than a terminator.

Mairuzu
Do we even know exactly how hot he could heat him to?

Nephthys
Enough to make Aragorn go owie and drop him.

Clear indication of victory right there.

Robtard
Originally posted by Nephthys
Its implied he could do so.

(Obviously he heats him up like he did with Aragorns sword and wtfpwnmelts him)

Enough to make Aragorn go owie and drop him.

Clear indication of victory right there.

That was Gandalf the White, who was more powerful than Gandalf the Grey.

Gandalf would have no idea there's a robot under the flesh, as least not until bits get hacked off. The T-800 (T2) was able to continue to function while dipped in molten metal for many moments, Gandalf (the White) heating up a sword doesn't come close to the heat in that furnace.

A hot sword wouldn't bother the T-800, it would just make him deadlier here.

Robtard
He beat a Balrog with his hand to hand skills which was more impressive to me than a terminator.

So stabbing a Terminator with a sword will destroy it? Nope.

He could try the calling down lighting into his sword, but alas, there was no active storm in that scene to Moria's entrance.

Nephthys
That was Gandalf the White, who was more powerful than Gandalf the Grey.

Gandalf would have no idea there's a robot under the flesh, as least not until bits get hacked off. The T-800 (T2) was able to continue to function while dipped in molten metal for many moments, Gandalf (the White) heating up a sword doesn't come close to the heat in that furnace.

A hot sword wouldn't bother the T-800, it would just make him deadlier here.

Yes but Gandalf said he was a servant of the 'Secret Fire' implying that he has complete mastery of Fire and Heat as evidenced by him fighting a being composed of fire and being able to kneel on the ****ing things chest without getting burnt. Clearly therefore Gandalf can channel enough heat into the T-800 to make it explode, afterwhich Gandalf shall casually stroll away not looking at the explosion because he's a cool guy.

Because FVCK YEAH.

BTW Quan, Gandalf only defeated the Balrog by channeling a frickin' lightning bolt into his sword and stabbing it. In this thread there is no lightning to channel into the Terminator.

EvilAngel
Terminator wins.

Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, Legolas and the Hobbits are all useless

So the real thread is Gandalf vs the terminator

And Gandalf the White super heated the sword, but given that he used it afterward we have no reason to believe this damaged the metal.

The Terminator is near-certainly made from a better metal than Aragorns sword, and it's Gandalf the Grey, not the White.

All in all the fellowship stand no chance.

To be honest I can't help but think this is a spite match unless anyone here save Quan can think of a way in which they can even harm it(?)

Robtard
Originally posted by EvilAngel
Terminator wins.

Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, Legolas and the Hobbits are all useless

So the real thread is Gandalf vs the terminator

And Gandalf the White super heated the sword, but given that he used it afterward we have no reason to believe this damaged the metal.

The Terminator is near-certainly made from a better metal than Aragorns sword, and it's Gandalf the Grey, not the White.

All in all the fellowship stand no chance.

To be honest I can't help but think this is a spite match unless anyone here save Quan can think of a way in which they can even harm it(?)

Disagreed.

-Legolas could make eye-shot after eye-shot. Not sure how many it would take, but I don't think a Terminator's camera-eyes are indestructible.

-Gimli has considerable strength, hacking at a joint could damage it.

-Aragorn is too fast and skilled to get hit, at least until he's thoroughly exhausted.

-Boromir, could serve as back-up and distraction.

-Gandalf could serve as back-up and distraction.

-Frodo could don the ring for short periods of time to confuse the Terminator and make it start recalculating its attack.

-Sam could throw pans and lembas bread at it.

-Merry & Pippin showed decent rock throwing skills.

EvilAngel
Disagreed.

-Legolas could make eye-shot after eye-shot. Not sure how many it would take, but I don't think a Terminator's camera-eyes are indestructible.

-Gimli has considerable strength, hacking at a joint could damage it.

-Aragorn is too fast and skilled to get hit, at least until he's thoroughly exhausted.

-Boromir, could serve as back-up and distraction.

-Gandalf could serve as back-up and distraction.

-Frodo could don the ring for short periods of time to confuse the Terminator and make it start recalculating its attack.

-Sam could throw pans and lembas bread at it.

-Merry & Pippin showed decent rock throwing skills.

The Terminators tanked far more force undamaged than any of the characters have been shown to be capable of inflicting in the movies to my memory.

Perhaps Legalas could hit his eyes, but I think that would happen later in the fight when the fellowship have already lost members. And I doubt his arrows are any more powerful than the guns he's tanked in the movies. Some of them would surely have hit him in the eye at one time or another. Isn't there a scene in T-1 where he has to remove his eye because it got shot, and the flesh is totally mutilated?

But dude; Remove Lembas bread or I'm reporting you for spite no expression

Robtard
No idea how durable a terminator eye is.

In the first film it was grazed in the face by a sawed-off shotgun; why it cut out it's human eye and surrounding tissue.

Lembas bread stays, it was clearly spoken of in the films.

quanchi112
So stabbing a Terminator with a sword will destroy it? Nope.

He could try the calling down lighting into his sword, but alas, there was no active storm in that scene to Moria's entrance. There's no proof he didn't call that storm himself.Originally posted by Nephthys
Yes but Gandalf said he was a servant of the 'Secret Fire' implying that he has complete mastery of Fire and Heat as evidenced by him fighting a being composed of fire and being able to kneel on the ****ing things chest without getting burnt. Clearly therefore Gandalf can channel enough heat into the T-800 to make it explode, afterwhich Gandalf shall casually stroll away not looking at the explosion because he's a cool guy.

Because FVCK YEAH.

BTW Quan, Gandalf only defeated the Balrog by channeling a frickin' lightning bolt into his sword and stabbing it. In this thread there is no lightning to channel into the Terminator. I see no reason why Gandalf can't summon the lightning when he needs to just like against the Balrog.

EvilAngel
No idea how durable a terminator eye is.

In the first film it was grazed in the face by a sawed-off shotgun; why it cut out it's human eye and surrounding tissue.

Lembas bread stays, it was clearly spoken of in the films.

Oh... Well it's a combat terminator, I would have guessed it would be able to withstand the force of an arrow... but that would be a guess if he was only grazed.

But f**k this. Spite in favor of Samwise... and his lame-ass bread. Opps, i mean lambas

Nephthys
There's no proof he didn't call that storm himself.

I see no reason why Gandalf can't summon the lightning when he needs to just like against the Balrog.

Do you have any proof that he did?

Gandalf did it in the middle to a storm. I doubt he could just call down lightning whenever he wants to or else why the fvck does he not do that more often? He needs a storm to do it obviously.

BTW, I don't need to prove that he can't do something, you need to prove that he can do it.

quanchi112
Do you have any proof that he did?

Gandalf did it in the middle to a storm. I doubt he could just call down lightning whenever he wants to or else why the fvck does he not do that more often? He needs a storm to do it obviously.

BTW, I don't need to prove that he can't do something, you need to prove that he can do it. I don't need any more proof you seem to think every feat a LoTR character does I need to cite more feats to prove he can do so again.

It's much more reasonable to assume Gandalf caused the storm because he knew he needed the energy from it to defeat the Balrog with a sword strike than he happened upon a storm and was lucky like right place right time.

It's like saying why didn't he cause more swords to burn so the enemies dropped them. I guess in that sense it was dawn so he lucked out and channeled the power of the sun into Aragorn's sword.

Robtard
It's much more reasonable to assume Gandalf caused the storm because he knew he needed the energy from it to defeat the Balrog with a sword strike than he happened upon a storm and was lucky like right place right time.

They fought for several days and then two days upon the mountain. So there goes that argument.

ares834
Well Istari are shown to command the weather. Saruman summons the storm when the Fellowship is climbing the mountain Gandalf makes the sun blaze during his charge.

quanchi112
They fought for several days and then two days upon the mountain. So there goes that argument. Yes, and to finally defeat the Balrog after all previous attempts had failed he obviously tried another tactic which worked. If you want to ignore Saruman and Gandalf showing power over the weather by all means you have ignored everything else up to this point.

Robtard
Yes, and to finally defeat the Balrog after all previous attempts had failed he obviously tried another tactic which worked. Saruman and Gandalf showing power over the weather by all means you have ignored everything else up to this point.

So he wore himself unto death by swatting it with a sword over and over until he finally said "oh well, that's not working, let me conjure a storm and bring down lightning?" Yeah, that makes no sense.

If you want to ignore that Gandalf the Grey was not as powerful as Sarumon, by all means, you have ignored everything else up to this point.

quanchi112
So he wore himself unto death by swatting it with a sword over and over until he finally said "oh well, that's not working, let me conjure a storm and bring down lightning?" Yeah, that makes no sense.

If you want to ignore that Gandalf the Grey was not as powerful as Sarumon, by all means, you have ignored everything else up to this point. Yes, since he's shown weather manipulation as has his rival before. I guess you need Gandalf to say, That does it Balrog I am summoning a storm to charge my blade. Oh and if you think Balrog I just so happened to be lucky to fight you on a rainy day think again.

Not as powerful or formidable doesn't mean he lacked the abilities Saruman did which was creating a storm.

Robtard
Yes, since he's shown weather manipulation as has his rival before. I guess you need Gandalf to say, That does it Balrog I am summoning a storm to charge my blade. Oh and if you think Balrog I just so happened to be lucky to fight you on a rainy day think again.

Not as powerful or formidable doesn't mean he lacked the abilities Saruman did which was creating a storm.

You mean when Sarumon created a snow-storm that forced Gandalf to turn back and take the Moir path? When has Gandalf the Grey done this like Sarumon?

Except he didn't. Deal with it; it's okay. If he could have at the drop of a hat, he would have destroyed the Balrog with lightning when they fled back to the outside instead of wearing himself to death.

quanchi112
You mean when Sarumon created a snow-storm that forced Gandalf to turn back and take the Moir path? When has Gandalf the Grey done this like Sarumon?

Except he didn't. Deal with it; it's okay. If he could have at the drop of a hat, he would have destroyed the Balrog with lightning when they fled back to the outside instead of wearing himself to death. I guess since we know their powers directly mimic each other and despite a storm conveniently being used to power a gandalf strike into a Balrog it isn't good enough. You keep saying how great LOTR is but try so hard to discredit the feats they do have/

It's a movie they make things epic and drawn out how epic would it be to have him summon lightning and oneshot him ? Also he wasn't out in the open he had to wait until he was.

Robtard
I guess since we know their powers directly mimic each other and despite a storm conveniently being used to power a gandalf strike into a Balrog it isn't good enough.

You keep saying how great LOTR is but try so hard to discredit the feats they do have/

It's a movie they make things epic and drawn out how epic would it be to have him summon lightning and oneshot him ? Also he wasn't out in the open he had to wait until he was.

Except as pointed out, he swatted at the Balrog for days, do you really think he's so stupid he didn't realize he couldn't destroy it with a sword after day one, maybe two?

LoTR is one of my favorite trilogies, my loving it doesn't interfere with my objectivity in here though. This is your baggage.

He fought on the side of the mountain (out side) for two days.

Impediment
Terminator wins.

There is nothing that the Fellowship can do to to a titanium allot cyborg.

Gandalf the Grey is nowhere near the level of his White incarnation.

Gandalf can summon a shield all he wants to, but he will eventually tire out.

quanchi112
Except as pointed out, he swatted at the Balrog for days, do you really think he's so stupid he didn't realize he couldn't destroy it with a sword after day one, maybe two?

LoTR is one of my favorite trilogies, my loving it doesn't interfere with my objectivity in here though. This is your baggage.

He fought on the side of the mountain (out side) for two days. When he saw the opening for it he did so. Sometimes despite their powers Gandalf just shows up and swings his staff at people despite being far more formidable than just doing so.

And when he needed to charge his staff he did so.

NemeBro
Hahahaha.

Gandalf solos.

This thread is hilarious.

The man fell a distance measured in kilometers while fighting a Balrog in free-fall, and fought and parried its strikes in melee.

Gandalf crushes the T-800.

iRuleSoHard
There is absolutely no way any of them could survive unless they can make a speedy escape via eagle or some other means. I mean, the T-800's battle-hardened chassis can survive bullets and explosions. What the hell are medieval weapons going to do?

Korto Vos

He fought on the side of the mountain (out side) for two days.

If it takes an Istari battling from the "lowest dungeon to the highest peak", and fighting days outside, chances are Durin's Bane can't be killed by just one 'Lightning Blade' or similarly effective potent magical attacks. It's much more logical to assume that Gandalf probably hit the Balrog with multiple 'Lightning Blades' and other spells before Durin's Bane finally fell.

And it's somewhat funny how Gandalf, at 4:50, "knows" that lightning will be appearing right before him that instant (even though average lightning moves at around 220,000 km/hr, or 3,700 miles per second), and raises his sword to channel its power. It's even more funny considering he's engaged against a "demon of the ancient world" that he has time to scan the clouds for indications of electrical discharge.

Y'know, before y'all completely dismiss Quanchi, he might actually be making a point in that Gandalf could have conjured that lightning to hit his blade, and by extension, likely conjured that lightning-abundant storm (since Istari have control over weather and elements). Makes sense, in a way, that Gandalf would use water to hinder the abilities of a being of fire.

Just sayin...

Gandalf vs. Balrog

Nephthys
Well he obviously has some control over it.

In fact he does the same thing in The Hobbit to kill some goblins.

That doesn't mean he can easily conjure a storm in seconds and take out the T-800 before it unscrews his head.

Korto Vos
Istari were not sent to contest Sauron by force, even though they had Maiar powers.

Yet, Gandalf the Grey, forced to go all-out against the Balrog, probably conjured that storm, and even if it may not take seconds to produce, I'm sure any singular lightning attack he would fire against T-800 would be quite potent (if he went all-out and invoked his internal Maiar abilities, like how he did against Durin's Bane).

Robtard
Originally posted by Korto Vos
If it takes an Istari battling from the "lowest dungeon to the highest peak", and fighting days outside, chances are Durin's Bane can't be killed by just one 'Lightning Blade' or similarly effective potent magical attacks. It's much more logical to assume that Gandalf probably hit the Balrog with multiple 'Lightning Blades' and other spells before Durin's Bane finally fell.

And it's somewhat funny how Gandalf, at 4:50, "knows" that lightning will be appearing right before him that instant (even though average lightning moves at around 220,000 km/hr, or 3,700 miles per second), and raises his sword to channel its power. It's even more funny considering he's engaged against a "demon of the ancient world" that he has time to scan the clouds for indications of electrical discharge.

Y'know, before y'all completely dismiss Quanchi, he might actually be making a point in that Gandalf could have conjured that lightning to hit his blade, and by extension, likely conjured that lightning-abundant storm (since Istari have control over weather and elements). Makes sense, in a way, that Gandalf would use water to hinder the abilities of a being of fire.

Just sayin...

Gandalf vs. Balrog

The lightning wasn't the issue, as you see him call it down. Whether he made the storm that produced the lightning was. ie can he call lightning any time out of the blue or only when there's a storm above already brewing. See?

NemeBro
Well he obviously has some control over it.

In fact he does the same thing in The Hobbit to kill some goblins.

That doesn't mean he can easily conjure a storm in seconds and take out the T-800 before it unscrews his head. The Balrog's size alone, and the fact that its movements were crumbling the inside of the cavern, proves it is physically stronger than the T-800.

Gandalf physically kills the T-800. He needs no magic.

Nephthys
With what? His sword?

I know its magic, but its not that magic.

NemeBro
Gandalf is physically stronger.

no expression

quanchi112
The lightning wasn't the issue, as you see him call it down. Whether he made the storm that produced the lightning was. ie can he call lightning any time out of the blue or only when there's a storm above already brewing. See? You need to prove it and while you're at it prove Saruman possesses abilities Gandalf doesn't even though we see him do the same thing.

Robtard
You need to prove it and while you're at it prove Saruman possesses abilities Gandalf doesn't even though we see him do the same thing.

There's as much proof for Gandalf (the Grey) making the storm/lightning as there is for the storm happening when it did and Gandalf using his abilities to capitalize on it. You're just going to have to accept this.

Not even sure why you're so hard up on lightning taking down a T-800, it's powered by a nuclear device powerful enough to make a small mushroom cloud and it's designed for battle, so I doubt some lighting will shut it down.

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by NemeBro

no expression Based upon what? I don't remember seeing Gandalf manhandling the Baelrog anywhere.

quanchi112
There's as much proof for Gandalf (the Grey) making the storm/lightning as there is for the storm happening when it did and Gandalf using his abilities to capitalize on it. You're just going to have to accept this.

Not even sure why you're so hard up on lightning taking down a T-800, it's powered by a nuclear device powerful enough to make a small mushroom cloud and it's designed for battle, so I doubt some lighting will shut it down. Saruman has powers to do so and Gandalf is also an elite wizard from the same universe who so happens to use a storm to defeat a Balrog. If you can't(mainly won't) see the connection then I don't know what to tell you.

The power was enough to kill a Balrog who would dominate a Terminator with a sword.

Nephthys

no expression

Bullshit.

Robtard
Saruman has powers to do so and Gandalf is also an elite wizard from the same universe who so happens to use a storm to defeat a Balrog. If you can't(mainly won't) see the connection then I don't know what to tell you.

The power was enough to kill a Balrog who would dominate a Terminator with a sword.

Gandalf the Grey wished he was as powerful as Sarumon. If you won't follow the rules of the forum instead of just deciding "I need it to be this way for my argument", I don't know what else to tell you.

Meh, maybe. Cos terminators are extremely durable and by all accounts, it was lightning.

quanchi112
Gandalf the Grey wished he was as powerful as Sarumon. If you won't follow the rules of the forum instead of just deciding "I need it to be this way for my argument", I don't know what else to tell you.

Meh, maybe. Cos terminators are extremely durable and by all accounts, it was lightning. I didn't say he was as powerful I said he mirrored Saruman's abilities. Gandalf the grey was powerful enough to defeat a Balrog which is a lot more powerful than a Terminator. You need to back your claims.

AthenasTrgrFngr
gandalf died killing the baelrog didnt he?

Nephthys
Yep.

quanchi112
Originally posted by AthenasTrgrFngr
gandalf died killing the baelrog didnt he? After killing the Balrog, yes. That would still count as a forum win.

Robtard
I didn't say he was as powerful I said he mirrored Saruman's abilities. Gandalf the grey was powerful enough to defeat a Balrog which is a lot more powerful than a Terminator. You need to back your claims.

Yeah, the "he beat something else!" doesn't fly in of itself, guy. You need a better approach.

Maybe try proving that lightning will destroy a Terminator, since you've decided to skip proving that Gandalf can magic a lightning-bolt out of the sky anytime he wishes and I'm tired of babysitting you.

IMO, the Lembas bread is the ace-in-the-hole.

quanchi112
Yeah, the "he beat something else!" doesn't fly in of itself, guy. You need a better approach.

Maybe try proving that lightning will destroy a Terminator, since you've decided to skip proving that Gandalf can magic a lightning-bolt out of the sky anytime he wishes and I'm tired of babysitting you.

IMO, the Lembas bread is the ace-in-the-hole. If he beat someone more durable and powerful than the Terminator it does fly.

The sword and blast can damage the Terminator if it can damage someone more durable and powerful than the Terminator.

NemeBro
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Based upon what? I don't remember seeing Gandalf manhandling the Baelrog anywhere. He was shown parrying its blows, and his strikes sent it reeling. He fought it during freefall in a distance that measured kilometers, not only did he survive the fall, but he continued to fight it for IIRC days.

Gandalf rapes the ****ing shit out of the Terminator.

Remember when they first fought? When Gandalf put up a shield to block the Balrog's blows? Its sword disintegrated on impact.

If that happens to the Terminator, he's rightly ****ed, and without a weapon, the Terminator can't even signifigantly injure Gandalf.

Robtard
If he beat someone more durable and powerful than the Terminator it does fly.

The sword and blast can damage the Terminator if it can damage someone more durable and powerful than the Terminator.

Not the way you're presenting it. Doogie Howser could beat Superman (ala Lex Luther in returns) with a shard of Kryptonite, does that mean he can beat Aragorn too? No.

Now Nemebro, that fool has a proper argument here, see above. Learn something.

quanchi112
Not the way you're presenting it. Doogie Howser could beat Superman (ala Lex Luther in returns) with a shard of Kryptonite, does that mean he can beat Aragorn too? No.

Now Nemebro, that fool has a proper argument here, see above. Learn something. Gandalf was fighting him without a storm for days and falling hundreds of feet without doing so. Gandalf's staff and magic broke balrog's whip against it. He's just far too powerful(due to magic) and is an excellent swordsman.

Nemebro goes about it like he usually does by saying Gandalf is stronger than a Terminator. You buying into how far he exaggerates is something I would expect from you.

Sadako of Girth
Gandalf: "Wash day doth come on the morrow..."nothing clean", right?"

Terminator: "."

(Terminator delivers the Bill Paxton punishment)

Nephthys
He was shown parrying its blows, and his strikes sent it reeling. He fought it during freefall in a distance that measured kilometers, not only did he survive the fall, but he continued to fight it for IIRC days.

Gandalf rapes the ****ing shit out of the Terminator.

Remember when they first fought? When Gandalf put up a shield to block the Balrog's blows? Its sword disintegrated on impact.

If that happens to the Terminator, he's rightly ****ed, and without a weapon, the Terminator can't even signifigantly injure Gandalf.

No he isn't and no they didn't. The fight mostly happened off-screen and while his strikes were causing it pain there was no visible injuries. Gandalf himself says that swords are no use against the Balrog.

Again, how?

You mean the sword that was made out of fire and that the Balrog pretty literally pulled out of his ass? Yes, I'm sure that was a natural weapon and I'm sure that normal weapons will be affected the same way. Thats why Gandalf uses the same spell again and again against sword-wielding foes. Also I'll note that the sword only disintergrates when the Balrog lets go of it. Given that he conjured it from his own fire I'm betting that it can't exist independently, hence why it disintergrates.

Robtard
Gandalf was fighting him without a storm for days and falling hundreds of feet without doing so. Gandalf's staff and magic broke balrog's whip against it. He's just far too powerful(due to magic) and is an excellent swordsman.

Nemebro goes about it like he usually does by saying Gandalf is stronger than a Terminator. You buying into how far he exaggerates is something I would expect from you.

Do tell me how Gandalf was able to parry blows with his own blade then? Take a few backhands? Survive a massive free-fall?

Things to consider: The Balrog had enough mass to make the ground shake and it was strong enough to break through very think stone when it had to make the opening to the causeway sizable to its own girth. Go.

quanchi112
Do tell me how Gandalf was able to parry blows with his own blade then? Take a few backhands? Survive a massive free-fall?

Things to consider: The Balrog had enough mass to make the ground shake and it was strong enough to break through very think stone when it had to make the opening to the causeway sizable to its own girth. Go. Because he was highly skilled and probably had magic aid him. If he's as strong as he is there he'd just knock regular men on their asses on the battlefield.

Robtard
Because he was highly skilled and probably had magic aid him. If he's as strong as he is there he'd just knock regular men on their asses on the battlefield.

So your argument against Nemobro's screen-feats is "he probably". That's a fail, sir.

quanchi112
So your argument against Nemobro's screen-feats is "he probably". That's a fail, sir. It isn't how he's portrayed. We see him use magic to resist the Balrog initially so it leads me to believe he was doing so during his entire fight based off how he fights throughout 99 percent of the film in the larger battles.

Robtard
On behalf of Nemebro, I accept your concession.

Nephthys
I don't know which side you two are on anymore.

ares834
So your argument against Nemobro's screen-feats is "he probably". That's a fail, sir.

Are you saying Gandalf was not using magic throughout most of the fight?

quanchi112
On behalf of Nemebro, I accept your concession. So you feel Gandalf was just using his superhuman strength and not magic which is how we see him fend off Balrog's attacks. I guess you think that was completely unnecessary and gandalf just showing off.

Korto Vos
The lightning wasn't the issue, as you see him call it down. Whether he made the storm that produced the lightning was. ie can he call lightning any time out of the blue or only when there's a storm above already brewing. See?

In The Hobbit, Gandalf the Grey conjures lightning to drive away goblins. I don't recall there being a storm overhead

------------------------------------------------------------

And Gandalf is an Istari- he is magical in essence.

Nephthys
In The Hobbit, Gandalf the Grey conjures lightning to drive away goblins. I don't recall there being a storm overhead

Then you aren't recalling hard enough. They were only attacked because they'd taken shelter from a raging storm in a cave.

Korto Vos
Then you aren't recalling hard enough. They were only attacked because they'd taken shelter from a raging storm in a cave.

Want to post those lines?

Nephthys
I'll do you one better.

A7jYQFTV7EM

Its around the 45 minute mark.

Edit: In fact it was more than a storm, it was a thunderstorm. And it was more than a thunderstorm, it was a thunderbattle!

ares834
With giants and shit.

Korto Vos
Wait...wait

This is the excerpt:

"Out jumped the goblins, big goblins, great ugly-looking goblins, lots of goblins, before you can say rocks and blocks. There were six to each dwarf, at least, and two even for Bilbo; and they were all grabbed and carried through the crack, before you can say tinder and flint. But not Gandalf. Bilbo's yell had done that much good. It had wakened him up wide in a splintered second,and when goblins came to grab him, there was a terrible flash like lightning in the cave, a smell like gunpowder, and several of them fell dead."

If I'm reading this correctly, the party is INSIDE the cave when the goblins ambushed them. Hence, Gandalf wasn't exposed to that "thunderbattle" outside.

He just conjured a magical blast that flashed liked lightning and incinerated those goblins.

Nephthys
Or he just aimed the lightning into the cave. IIRC Gandalf was near the entrance.

Korto Vos
Or he just aimed the lightning into the cave. IIRC Gandalf was near the entrance.

Or he was actually in the cave, and just aimed a lightning blast.

Robtard
Originally posted by ares834
Are you saying Gandalf was not using magic throughout most of the fight?

Are you saying Gandalf couldn't recreate whatever he did to take down the Balrog against the Terminator? Does it really matter where it came from, be it magic spells or innate abilities?

Nephthys
Or he was actually in the cave, and just aimed a lightning blast.

If Gandalf could do lightning blasts whenever he wants then why does he bother with a sword? He's never shown that ability before or replicated it outside of this ambiguous scene.

(unless you mean that he aimed a lightning blast so that it went into teh cave and struck teh goblins, which is what I'm saying.)

Robtard
So you feel Gandalf was just using his superhuman strength and not magic which is how we see him fend off Balrog's attacks. I guess you think that was completely unnecessary and gandalf just showing off.

Your question doesn't make much sense; can you please reword it so it's a coherent question? ie what do you think I think is "unnecessary"?

Robtard

Books in the MVF fail, just an FYI.

But hey, first part of The Hobbit comes out next year, so not only is that epically good news, you may have a MVF-point then.

Korto Vos
If Gandalf could do lightning blasts whenever he wants then why does he bother with a sword? He's never shown that ability before or replicated it outside of this ambiguous scene.

(unless you mean that he aimed a lightning blast so that it went into teh cave and struck teh goblins, which is what I'm saying.)

In fact, I listened to that portion again, and there's NOTHING saying Gandalf was standing at the entrance. It's quite clearly stated that the company was sleeping well inside the cave when the goblins ambushed them. And when they tried to apprehend Gandalf, he incinerated them.

As I stated earlier, Gandalf's sole purpose on Middle-Earth was to contest Sauron, and he was prohibited to demonstrate the full range of his demigod powers.

Yes, you don't need to point out the obvious to me. I'm well aware of what I said, and why I mentioned the book.

ares834

Gandalf almost never uses the full breadth of his power obviously. He always seemed to be rather wary to use magic and would only do so if the circumstances called for it. In fact, he, along with the rest of the Istari, was banned by the Valar from directly facing Sauron and his minions with his full power.

Korto Vos
^

Nephthys
Gandalf wasn't allowed to use his powers to fight Sauron but incinerating a few goblins is A-ok? no expression

Sure.

ares834
Gandalf wasn't allowed to use his powers to fight Sauron but incinerating a few goblins is A-ok? no expression

Sure.

The Valar didn't want another War of Wrath IIRC. Having several powerful maiar going all out across Middle Earth would cause some serious damage.

quanchi112
Your question doesn't make much sense; can you please reword it so it's a coherent question? ie what do you think I think is "unnecessary"? Do you think Gandalf using magic against the Balrog before they both fell to ward off his attacks with magic was all for show ? You seem to think on strength alone now he can do so making that show of magic to be unnecessary.

Korto Vos
Originally posted by ares834
The Valar didn't want another War of Wrath IIRC. Having several powerful maiar going all out across Middle Earth would cause some serious damage.

I would pay to see the Battle of Unnumbered Tears and War of Wrath depicted on screen.

Puts Pelennor Fields to shame.

Robtard
Do you think Gandalf using magic against the Balrog before they both fell to ward off his attacks with magic was all for show ? You seem to think on strength alone now he can do so making that show of magic to be unnecessary.

No, I don't and I have no idea where you got that from. Considering he was trying to protect the Fellowship and most importantly Frodo; trying to defeat the Balrog without much of a clash was the most sensible thing to do. He had planned to drop the Balrog into the chasm all along; he didn't expect the whip taking him in the rear though.

quanchi112
No, I don't and I have no idea where you got that from. Considering he was trying to protect the Fellowship and most importantly Frodo; trying to defeat the Balrog without much of a clash was the most sensible thing to do. He had planned to drop the Balrog into the chasm all along; he didn't expect the whip taking him in the rear though. Good then you admit based off of Gandalf's other showings including this one it's logical he was using magic as a buffer against him throughout the entire fight. Kinda makes more sense than he suddenly became strong enough in his body to just fight him off. If he has that level of strength then he'd just physically dominate orcs on the battlefield.

Nephthys
Annoyingly I agree with Quan. Gandalf never displays superhuman attributes in the movies. If he were really as strong as a Terminator as Neme suggests he could have just punched that bridge apart, and he would be besecting orcs with every swing.

quanchi112
Annoyingly I agree with Quan. Gandalf never displays superhuman attributes in the movies. See how my portrayal over feats actually comes in handy. You know if you're willing I could train you in the arts of quan.

ares834
lol

Nephthys
See how my portrayal over feats actually comes in handy. You know if you're willing I could train you in the arts of quan.

This isn't portrayal over feats Quan. Gandalf doesn't have the feats required for what they're saying and so I'm disagreeing with them. If he were really as strong as a Terminator as Neme suggests he could have just punched that bridge apart, and he would be bissecting orcs with every swing.

Robtard
Good then you admit based off of Gandalf's other showings including this one it's logical he was using magic as a buffer against him throughout the entire fight. Kinda makes more sense than he suddenly became strong enough in his body to just fight him off. If he has that level of strength then he'd just physically dominate orcs on the battlefield.

Why are you still crying to me about it? It's Nemebro's argument so get off my nuts already. No one rides them for free, dude.

Just curious though, you don't think Gandalf could create whatever magic you think he did when fighting the Balrog to rip the Terminator a new ******* as Nemebro suggest?

quanchi112
This isn't portrayal over feats Quan. Gandalf doesn't have the feats required for what they're saying and so I'm disagreeing with them. If he were really as strong as a Terminator as Neme suggests he could have just punched that bridge apart, and he would be bissecting orcs with every swing. I go by both but favor portrayal over feats. The offer is still on the table. You could be my apprentice.

Nephthys
I'd rather fvck a Balrog.

Robtard
I'd rather fvck a Balrog.

Would you top or bottom?

quanchi112
Why are you still crying to me about it? It's Nemebro's argument so get off my nuts already. No one rides them for free, dude.

Just curious though, you don't think Gandalf could create whatever magic you think he did when fighting the Balrog to rip the Terminator a new ******* as Nemebro suggest? I told you his argument which you championed was terrible. I've been to the video game versus forum he loves saying character x solos an army and stuff like that. I am arguing based off of why I believe Gandalf can win I won't just side with anybody who sides with Gandalf. I'm a man of principle.

Nephthys
Would you top or bottom?

I'm not putting my dick in that. No way.

Robtard
I told you his argument which you championed was terrible. I've been to the video game versus forum he loves saying character x solos an army and stuff like that. I am arguing based off of why I believe Gandalf can win I won't just side with anybody who sides with Gandalf. I'm a man of principle.

You're just whining now; considering you both have the same basic argument, "Gandalf can solo the Terminator", you're whining out of apparent butt-hurt Nemebro gave you in the VG forum.

Let it go, dude. Carrying butt-hurt across threads is in poor form; carrying butt-hurt across forums is an outright sin.

quanchi112
You're just whining now; considering you both have the same basic argument, "Gandalf can solo the Terminator", you're whining out of apparent butt-hurt Nemebro gave you in the VG forum.

Let it go, dude. Carrying butt-hurt across threads is in poor form; carrying butt-hurt across forums is an outright sin. I am saying based on his magical powers not some super strength he wasn't portrayed to have. I am not complaining about him I am just telling you he does the same kinda stuff in the other versus forum. You said his reasoning was awesome not me.

I am glad you're here to help me in my moment of need.

Robtard
I am saying based on his magical powers not some super strength he wasn't portrayed to have. I am not complaining about him I am just telling you he does the same kinda stuff in the other versus forum. You said his reasoning was awesome not me.

I am glad you're here to help me in my moment of need.

Toe-may-toe, toe-ma-toe, dude. Does it matter if he blocked a super strong hit with innate super-strength or with a magic/spell that allowed him to block a super strong hit? That's just petty whining, dude.

You in fact are complaining about him. Really, Nemebro is a loving and gentle person, a virtual cup filled with the milk of human kindness, you should stop.

If you go to the first page, I was the first person to challenge the first "terminator wins" post from that angry girl person. I also sent her a PM days ago trying to sooth things over from the Sauron/Snape thread; she ignored it, must still be angry over an MVF thread, silly.

quanchi112
Toe-may-toe, toe-ma-toe, dude. Does it matter if he blocked a super strong hit with innate super-strength or with a magic/spell that allowed him to block a super strong hit? That's just petty whining, dude.

You in fact are complaining about him. Really, Nemebro is a loving and gentle person, a virtual cup filled with the milk of human kindness, you should stop.

If you go to the first page, I was the first person to challenge the first "terminator wins" post from that angry girl person. I also sent her a PM days ago trying to sooth things over from the Sauron/Snape thread; she ignored it, must still be angry over an MVF thread, silly. I'm saying he can use magic just like he did to weather the Balrog's attacks not like he's super strong. That isn't whining it's arguing based off the movies.

Do you know nemebro ?

You and your crazy challenges. I am not falling for your traps.

Robtard
I'm saying he can use magic just like he did to weather the Balrog's attacks not like he's super strong. That isn't whining it's arguing based off the movies.

Do you know nemebro ?

You and your crazy challenges. I am not falling for your traps.

More nitpicking over the most trivial of titbits. You think Gandalf solos; Nemebro thinks Gandalf solos. Stop trying to make an argument when there isn't one. There are others here who think the Terminator wins, so pick your fights wisely.

Just from the boards; mostly the MVF.

Go look, I was the first to champion the Fellowship, so that makes me the bigger LoTR fan. I won again, dude. Condolences.

NemeBro
No he isn't and no they didn't. The fight mostly happened off-screen and while his strikes were causing it pain there was no visible injuries. Gandalf himself says that swords are no use against the Balrog.

Lol. Yeah.

44kBN340vd4

Check 3:45. Notice that when Gandalf slashes and stabs at the Balrog, it bleeds magma. "No visible injuries" indeed. Also notice himself weathering punches and strikes from the Balrog. While in freefall. For kilometers.

Now check 4:45 of the vid. Notice Gandalf swing his sword. Notice how the Balrog was sent reeling back. Yeah.

Cutting its head off works.

I'm sure it was far ****ing superior to the sword of an Uruk-hai. Also, check 2:20 of the vid again. Notice that after the sword disintegrates, the Balrog reels back, in pain.

Please don't bring up Gandalf's PIS. Peter Jackson, when asked by Ian McKellen why Gandalf doesn't just solve a lot of the conflicts with his magic, basically admitted there's no real reason why he doesn't, by giving a sarcastic answer like "His staff's batteries were dead."

Gandalf has proven to be physically the superior foe. And once more, HE FELL KILOMETERS WHILE FIGHTING IN FREE-FALL.

Annoyingly I agree with Quan. Gandalf never displays superhuman attributes in the movies. If he were really as strong as a Terminator as Neme suggests he could have just punched that bridge apart, and he would be besecting orcs with every swing.

I guess falling kilometers and then fighting with a fire demon as big as a truck isn't superhuman.

I don't know if you noticed, but ****ing Aragorn is superhuman, let alone Gandalf. He can cut through plate as though it were cheese, and block the strike of a troll.

quanchi112
More nitpicking over the most trivial of titbits. You think Gandalf solos; Nemebro thinks Gandalf solos. Stop trying to make an argument when there isn't one. There are others here who think the Terminator wins, so pick your fights wisely.

Just from the boards; mostly the MVF.

Go look, I was the first to champion the Fellowship, so that makes me the bigger LoTR fan. I won again, dude. Condolences. I take this stuff seriously. You should do the same. It's all about the details.

It''s obvious if I asked you McClane or The Fellowship you'd smash the dvd over your head and start chanting, McClane the man never loses, Ever.

Robtard
I take this stuff seriously. You should do the same. It's all about the details.

It''s obvious if I asked you McClane or The Fellowship you'd smash the dvd over your head and start chanting, McClane the man never loses, Ever.

Considering Nemebro just out-detailed you again in here, I don't think you're taking this stuff too seriously. It's now Nemebro 2 Quanchi 0, better improve your game and quick.

LoL, your butt-hurt over pitting Van Zan against McClane and getting your ass handed to you caused you to act out like that in here. I just told you above that carrying butt-hurt across threads is in poor form, so stop.

NemeBro
Wow Robtard, you're gonna make me blush. estahuh

Nephthys
Lol. Yeah.

44kBN340vd4

Check 3:45. Notice that when Gandalf slashes and stabs at the Balrog, it bleeds magma. "No visible injuries" indeed. Also notice himself weathering punches and strikes from the Balrog. While in freefall. For kilometers.

Now check 4:45 of the vid. Notice Gandalf swing his sword. Notice how the Balrog was sent reeling back. Yeah.

His strikes were causing sparks yeah, but not actual wounds. You can see its chest at 4.00 and despite Gandalf stabbing the shit out of it theres nothing there. Again, Gandalf himself says swords are useless against the Balrog. Weathering its punches isn't impressive enough to matter unless you think Gandalf is durable enough to tank swordstrikes from the Terminator.

In pain, not because Gandalf has superstrength suddenly.

Cutting its head off works.

Gandalf isn't capable of that.

I'm sure it was far ****ing superior to the sword of an Uruk-hai. Also, check 2:20 of the vid again. Notice that after the sword disintegrates, the Balrog reels back, in pain.

Its made of fvcking fire. No way is that shit comparable to an actual sword.

Pain? Gandalf didn't do anything. Did his sword get hurt?

Gandalf has proven to be physically the superior foe. And once more, HE FELL KILOMETERS WHILE FIGHTING IN FREE-FALL.

When Gandalf can punch through walls, let me know.

I guess falling kilometers and then fighting with a fire demon as big as a truck isn't superhuman.

I don't know if you noticed, but ****ing Aragorn is superhuman, let alone Gandalf. He can cut through plate as though it were cheese, and block the strike of a troll.

I've seen humans do more in a few movies.

Aragorn is a Numenorean, that is human for him.

Robtard
Wow Robtard, you're gonna make me blush. estahuh

I'm just stating the truth, man.

Go easy on the guy though, he means well, but he's not very good at this debate stuff. Instead of backing his arguments with logic and movie-feats, he likes to throw out nonsense such as "he has inner strength" and "he'll just find a way".

NemeBro
Originally posted by Nephthys His strikes were causing sparks yeah, but not actual wounds. You can see its chest at 4.00 and despite Gandalf stabbing the shit out of it theres nothing there. Again, Gandalf himself says swords are useless against the Balrog. Weathering its punches isn't impressive enough to matter unless you think Gandalf is durable enough to tank swordstrikes from the Terminator.

In pain, not because Gandalf has superstrength suddenly.

You're out of your mind if you saw that and thought "sparks." Check 3:49, the Balrog is still bleeding out even after Gandalf withdrew his sword for another slash. Then at 3:53 he clearly stabs his sword into the chest of the Balrog. I don't give a shit what Gandalf "said," though actually, he didn't say that. He just said the Balrog was a foe beyond any of their power to defeat. Not that it matters, since his sword clearly cut into it. And Glamdring is a magical sword regardless. And I think Gandalf can destroy the sword with his shield and proceed to cut his head off.

At least try to stay consistent. First, you say Gandalf's sword could not wound the Balrog, now, all of the sudden... It can? And no, Gandalf that time dealt it no wound, and it didn't roar in pain, it reeled back after Gandalf parried its blow. He's been fighting it for days. Gandalf can physically fight the Balrog. He's proven this. Stop denying it.

According to the movie he certainly is.

You're right. It's much better.

It let out a grumble in pain and looked shocked that its sword was destroyed.

Stop being deliberately obtuse. He has shown superhuman attributes. Stop denying them.

I've seen humans have a steel girder bend after it fell on their head and wield telephone poles like baseball bats in fiction.

Do you have a point with this?

quanchi112
Considering Nemebro just out-detailed you again in here, I don't think you're taking this stuff too seriously. It's now Nemebro 2 Quanchi 0, better improve your game and quick.

LoL, your butt-hurt over pitting Van Zan against McClane and getting your ass handed to you caused you to act out like that in here. I just told you above that carrying butt-hurt across threads is in poor form, so stop. You backpedaling and abandoning the actual thread in order to cheer on your idol is kinda amusing.

The truth stings and hey when I am right I am right.

NemeBro
I can't help but notice Quanchi hasn't actually tried to actually debate me.

How sad.

quanchi112
I can't help but notice Quanchi hasn't actually tried to actually debate me.

How sad. We both said Gandalf wins I was correct about my assessment you weren't. Pretty cut and dry.

Robtard
You backpedaling and abandoning the actual thread in order to cheer on your idol is kinda amusing.

The truth stings and hey when I am right I am right.

It's impossible to backpedaling when I've kept the same argument all along, genius.

You've yet to be right and stop the butt-hurt cross-contamination over the threads.

Do get off my nuts already, you hugging them is distracting you and a reason why Nemebro is spanking your ass. Focus, kid. Focus.

Utrigita
That Terminator is going to be thrown around like a ragdoll.

Nephthys
You're out of your mind if you saw that and thought "sparks." Check 3:49, the Balrog is still bleeding out even after Gandalf withdrew his sword for another slash. Then at 3:53 he clearly stabs his sword into the chest of the Balrog. I don't give a shit what Gandalf "said," though actually, he didn't say that. He just said the Balrog was a foe beyond any of their power to defeat. Not that it matters, since his sword clearly cut into it. And Glamdring is a magical sword regardless. And I think Gandalf can destroy the sword with his shield and proceed to cut his head off.

At least try to stay consistent. First, you say Gandalf's sword could not wound the Balrog, now, all of the sudden... It can? And no, Gandalf that time dealt it no wound, and it didn't roar in pain, it reeled back after Gandalf parried its blow. He's been fighting it for days. Gandalf can physically fight the Balrog. He's proven this. Stop denying it.

Does it matter if its sparks or magma? I paused it as 3.54 and it looks like sparks to me, but whatever, it doesn't matter. If its 'bleeding' then how come we can see its chest 6 seconds later and nothings there. Uh, yeah he did: 'Swords are no more use here.' 1.14 And this is backed up by what I've pointed out, Gandalf stabbing it and not causing any permament damage.

What? How the hell did you get that from what I said. Gandalfs sword clearly causes it pain, not wounds. And seriously, you think Gandalf parried its blow with what is clearly a two-handed swing hard enough to send it reeling backwards? That isn't how swordfighting works Nemebro. The Balrog doesn't even have a weapon, if you look closely you ccan see it try to punch him. Did he parry its fist? Its fist which is clearly on the ground when Gandalf attacks. Look at 4.44 and you can see that what you're saying makes no goddamn sense.

He fought it off-screen, so you have absolutely no proof that he was fighting it blade-to-blade all that time.

According to the movie he certainly is.

Your delusions are not the movie Nemey.

You're right. It's much better.

It let out a grumble in pain and looked shocked that its sword was destroyed.

Because clearly a metal sword is going to react the same way as a magical sword formed out of intangible fire, amright? (hint: no)

Prove it was pain.

Stop being deliberately obtuse. He has shown superhuman attributes. Stop denying them.

I was impressed by his ability to take a punch. He's probably slighty superhuman in that regard. Just not enough to make a difference here.

Although I'll note that:

p1Vyhve9gtg

At 2.38 Gandalf starts bleeding from being telekinetically punched in the face. The blow thats only strong enough to make him pratfall is enough to break his skin. Consistency! Lulz.

I've seen humans have a steel girder bend after it fell on their head and wield telephone poles like baseball bats in fiction.

Do you have a point with this?

Chad isn't human, hes Mexican.

Whats your point with it? You said Aragorn was superhuman, and I said yeah, cuz hes a Numenorean. How does that relate to Gandalf?

quanchi112
It's impossible to backpedaling when I've kept the same argument all along, genius.

You've yet to be right and stop the butt-hurt cross-contamination over the threads.

Do get off my nuts already, you hugging them is distracting you and a reason why Nemebro is spanking your ass. Focus, kid. Focus. You quit arguing and started cheerleading. Please for your sake don't brown nose another poster like this again. Gandalf solos.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.