Balrog of Morgoth vs Voldemort & Snape

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
Voldemort and Snape are plotting to kill Harry. They try a new spell, but instead the Balrog of Morgoth appears in front of them. Do they die or survive?

Robtard
Die.

The Silent Hero
Constantly apparate out of range of its swipes and fire and keep pounding it with different spells until it dies.

If Gandalf the Grey could slay him with an ordinary sword, surely the Greatest Wizard on Earth could do the same.

NemeBro
Gandalf the Grey has proven to be superhuman and had to imbue it with loitnin' to finally kill it after fighting for days.

The Balrog can't fly, but its whip was shown to have absurdly long range.

But the main issue is... It apparently appears right in front of them. The heat alone would be distressing, actually being hit by it would end either of them.

That said, if Voldemort or Snape can apparate and stay out of its range and pummel it with spells, they can probably win, yeah.

quanchi112
Voldemort solos.

Nephthys
The Balrog isn't a fast enough opponent to defeat them. They spell it into oblivion.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Nephthys
The Balrog isn't a fast enough opponent to defeat them. They spell it into oblivion. It would rule Oblivion.

Korto Vos
The Balrog is a Maiar spirit on the same tier as Gandalf (another Maiar). To slay a Balrog requires one to be on an equivalent level or higher, which is why Gandalf's attacks and spells were efficacious against the demon. Gandalf's comments of, "This foe is beyond any of you...Swords are no more use here," establishes the Fellowship's inability to hurt a 'greater' being.

Durin's Bane had insane constitution and stamina. It survived after free falling kilometers at terminal velocity, and then battled Gandalf all the way up to Zirakzigil's summit, and then fought the Istari for two days nonstop at the peak. And it must have absorbed countless spells and strikes by Gandalf before that ultimate Lightning Blade killed it.

If we go by the reasoning that only the attacks of a demigod can be effective against the Balrog, then the demon incinerates Voldemort and Snape.

Otherwise, if the wizards' spells 'work' against the Balrog, then I'm afraid they only win because they have Avada Kedavra, which is instant death.

quanchi112
How do you feel the Balrog reacts to a giant fire basilisk ?

Nephthys
Its made of fire. How do you think?

Korto Vos
I doubt Fiendfyre would work against a Balrog...

quanchi112
Its made of fire. How do you think? I think it would hurt him. I don't think the Balrog could survive the sun do you ?

Nephthys
I don't think fire is going to hurt the fire demon, no.

Korto Vos
Where the fvck did you come to the conclusion that Fiendfyre is like the sun?

quanchi112
I don't think fire is going to hurt the fire demon, no. So the guy can survive a sun because he's a fire demon ? Wow.

Korto Vos
I repeat my question...

quanchi112
Originally posted by Korto Vos
Where the fvck did you come to the conclusion that Fiendfyre is like the sun? I'm establishing whether or not a certain temperature in his or your mind of heat would effect the fire demon.

Korto Vos
Yet, both Fiendfyre and the Balrog's flames are red, meaning they are in the same relative position in the electromagnetic spectrum, and ergo meaning their temperatures are relatively the same.

Nephthys
Originally posted by quanchi112
So the guy can survive a sun because he's a fire demon ? Wow.

He'd probably get ripped apart by the pressure, no no he wouldn't. But Fiendfyre isn't a sun, so what the ****?

quanchi112
Yet, both Fiendfyre and the Balrog's flames are red, meaning they are in the same relative position in the electromagnetic spectrum, and ergo meaning their temperatures are relatively the same. Being magical fire and what not I think it's not that easy. It falls into what you personally believe. I was just curious is all I don't see Voldemort resorting to this attack anyways due to it's appearance and reliance on fire.Originally posted by Nephthys
He'd probably get ripped apart by the pressure, no no he wouldn't. But Fiendfyre isn't a sun, so what the ****? It was a test question to establish any source of heat if it would affect a Balrog. You either believe the fiendfyre does or doesn't. Voldemort wouldn't use this tactic here anyways.

Korto Vos
Magical fire or not...if Fiendfyre's temperature was as hot as a star, then it would have higher energy, meaning a shorter wavelength. And a shorter wavelength corresponds to colors higher on the EM spectrum (closer to ultraviolet).

quanchi112
Magical fire or not...if Fiendfyre's temperature was as hot as a star, then it would have higher energy, meaning a shorter wavelength. And a shorter wavelength corresponds to colors higher on the EM spectrum (closer to ultraviolet). I never claimed it was comparable to a star I just wanted to see if there was a line at the leevl of heat which in their eyes would affect the Balrog.

Korto Vos
The sun is a star. And you started that comparative line.

quanchi112
The sun is a star. And you started that comparative line. I asked a question to prove a point. I just wanted to see if it's all heat/fire or not.

Korto Vos
Okay, whatever.

Well, you still think Voldemort can solo?

quanchi112
Okay, whatever.

Well, you still think Voldemort can solo? Yes.

Korto Vos
What about what I said earlier?

ares834
Magical fire or not...if Fiendfyre's temperature was as hot as a star, then it would have higher energy, meaning a shorter wavelength. And a shorter wavelength corresponds to colors higher on the EM spectrum (closer to ultraviolet).

Nah. The heat of Red Star is far hotter than blue fire. Anyway, Fiendfyre isn't some super hot fire as wizards are able to survive despite being relatively close.

Korto Vos
Originally posted by ares834
Nah. The heat of Red Star is far hotter than blue fire. Anyway, Fiendfyre isn't some super hot fire as wizards are able to survive despite being relatively close.

Yeah, sorry, I phrased my earlier statement incorrectly.

My point was that both Fiendfyre and the Balrog's flames were both red fire, and therefore their temperatures didn't drastically differ.

quanchi112
What about what I said earlier? Come again ?

Korto Vos
The Balrog is a Maiar spirit on the same tier as Gandalf (another Maiar). To slay a Balrog requires one to be on an equivalent level or higher, which is why Gandalf's attacks and spells were efficacious against the demon. Gandalf's comments of, "This foe is beyond any of you...Swords are no more use here," establishes the Fellowship's inability to hurt a 'greater' being.

Durin's Bane had insane constitution and stamina. It survived after free falling kilometers at terminal velocity, and then battled Gandalf all the way up to Zirakzigil's summit, and then fought the Istari for two days nonstop at the peak. And it must have absorbed countless spells and strikes by Gandalf before that ultimate Lightning Blade killed it.

If we go by the reasoning that only the attacks of a demigod can be effective against the Balrog, then the demon incinerates Voldemort and Snape.

Otherwise, if the wizards' spells 'work' against the Balrog, then I'm afraid they only win because they have Avada Kedavra, which is instant death.

quanchi112
Yes Avada Kedavra seals the deal and Voldy can't wait half the time to use it.

Lord Lucien
If we go by the reasoning that only the attacks of a demigod can be effective against the Balrog Or a Noldor. Or any High Elf.

Korto Vos
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Or a Noldor. Or any High Elf.

Well, Tolkien's concept of Balrogs changed over time. In the Silmarillion, Balrogs seem to be demonoids that were powerful, but capable of being destroyed.

It's the reason why Echthelion of the Fountain kills three Balrogs, loses his shield arm, yet still manages to slay (and get slain by) Gothmog, lord of the Balrogs, during the Fall of Gondolin.

Chris Tolkien stated, "Balrogs less terrible and certainly more destructible than they afterwards became."

Years later, when writing Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. developed the demons into more formidable entities, and said there was at most seven in existence.

Therefore, it's fair to say the host of pseudo-Balrogs that Morgoth commanded were capable of being killed by anyone.

But the true Balrogs, "not be supposed more than say 3 or at most 7", were Maiar spirits and could only be killed by demigods or higher.

Of course you'll say that erm

If spells 'work' against the Balrog, the only way Voldemort and Snape can win is by firing Avada Kedavra.

However, I'm suggesting that their attacks simply may not work against the demon.

quanchi112
Even if Avada Kedavra fails which I completely disagree with) Voldemort's more than powerful enough to hurt him based off his blast into the enchanted protective spell around Hogwarts.

NemeBro
To be honest I'd agree.

Voldemort's power output displayed was enough to harm the Balrog IMHO.

Lord Lucien
I doubt the Balrog can be killed. Maiar spirits don't die. But their bodies do. Like Gandalf's. And like in Harry Potter, the Killing Curse doesn't obliterate the victim's spirit/soul, it just kills their body. The Balrog (and Gandalf, fellow Maiar) can die--physically. Which is exactly what Avada Kedavra does.

The Balrog's spirit will linger on, but his body can be destroyed. And Voldemort has shown far greater destructive capabilities on-screen than Durin's Bane did.

Korto Vos
Even if Avada Kedavra fails which I completely disagree with) Voldemort's more than powerful enough to hurt him based off his blast into the enchanted protective spell around Hogwarts.

Going back to that, eh?

Need I remind you that the protective shield around Hogwarts was already bombarded by the spells of countless Death Eaters before Voldemort stepped in and finished it off.

And the other likelihood that he only knew the unique spell to destroy the barrier, and not any of his followers.

But of course, Voldemort is very powerful, and I don't doubt his destructive capabilities.

But..

...this doesn't matter. The mumakil displayed "far greater destructive capabilities on-screen" than Legolas, but we all know how that fight ended.

Destructive spells are useless if the Balrog can only be hurt by an individual on its level (a Maiar/demigod) or higher.

Furthermore, considering how much of a beatdown it must have received from Gandalf while free-falling, then climbing the Endless Stair, then fighting 36 hours atop Zirakzigil's Peak, it would take A LOT of spells to bring down a Balrog.

Lord Lucien
...this doesn't matter. The mumakil displayed "far greater destructive capabilities on-screen" than Legolas, but we all know how that fight ended.

Destructive spells are useless if the Balrog can only be hurt by an individual on its level (a Maiar/demigod) or higher.

Furthermore, considering how much of a beatdown it must have received from Gandalf while free-falling, then climbing the Endless Stair, then fighting 36 hours atop Zirakzigil's Peak, it would take A LOT of spells to bring down a Balrog. Frankly, all of that is from the novels. Maiar are never mentioned in the movies, the Balrog is only called a "demon of the ancient world". If we're going to start using book material, then the Balrog won't be killing Voldemort since it wasn't born in July and hasn't hunted down the all the Horcruxes and destroyed them (actually it doesn't even need the novels for that, it's in the movie). And if we're going by book material, then a non-Maiar Elf like Ecthelion or Feanor killing Balrogs is precedent enough for a magical Dark Lord to.

And destructive capability does count, when context is remembered. Voldemort has shown far greater affluence in the "f*cking shit up" field than the Balrog did. The "it's a Maiar, ergo invincible" argument doesn't work. Voldemort can destroy it before he falls to it.

Korto Vos
Frankly, all of that is from the novels. Maiar are never mentioned in the movies, the Balrog is only called a "demon of the ancient world". If we're going to start using book material, then the Balrog won't be killing Voldemort since it wasn't born in July and hasn't hunted down the all the Horcruxes and destroyed them (actually it doesn't even need the novels for that, it's in the movie). And if we're going by book material, then a non-Maiar Elf like Ecthelion or Feanor killing Balrogs is precedent enough for a magical Dark Lord to.

1. Gandalf mentioned:

"This foe is beyond any of you."

Aragorn is the best swordsman/fighter in Middle-Earth, followed closely by Boromir. And Gimli and Legolas are arguably two of the best warriors of their respective races. Those four represent the finest of Elves, Men, and Dwarves, and yet Gandalf tells them, "This foe is beyond any of you." (even against Aragorn)

He doesn't even bother offering some modicum of hope. When he says, "Swords are no more use here," he's more or less stating that the combined prowess of the Fellowship is futile against a Balrog.

Therefore, even though Jackson doesn't have Gandalf yelling, "This is a Maiar! Only I can hurt him," it's pretty much implied that only an individual of Gandalf's caliber (an Istari/Maiar) can actually engage a "demon of the ancient world."

2. As for your second point, I'll repeat this earlier post of mine:

And if any "non-Maiar Elf" could hurt the Balrog, why doesn't Gandalf say, "Yo Legolas! Help out a bro here!"?

The Balrog doesn't demonstrate any visible "f*cking shit up," but it's shown to be tremendously powerful.

The hundreds, or even thousands, of Orcs in Moria flee before it. It's mentioned that it single-handedly vanquished Dwarven rule. It survives after falling down miles. It takes Gandalf, going all-out, more than two days of nonstop battling before it finally dies (all the while absorbing countless hits from Glamdring, the legendary sword, and other spells ).

Durin's Bane is surprisingly agile, and it could conjure fiery blades and whips, among other things, and could cloak itself in fire. It seems water doesn't 'extinguish' its internal flames, or at least prevent the demon from battling, since the Balrog continued to engage Gandalf up the Endless Stair and then on Zirakzigil's Peak.

EDIT: Thus, if the spells don't even 'work' against the Balrog, well...Voldemort and Snape lose.

And if they somehow do, it would take many, many magical attacks; it's very likely the Balrog could kill both wizards in the time span it would take for them to severally wound it.

Of course, if spells are effective, then I'm guessing Avada Kedavra's 'insta-death' would also finish the demon. Therefore, I'm ignoring the Killing Curse atm. But yes, the wizards only surefire method of winning is by launching the fatal Unforgivable Curse.

quanchi112
Going back to that, eh?

Need I remind you that the protective shield around Hogwarts was already bombarded by the spells of countless Death Eaters before Voldemort stepped in and finished it off.

And the other likelihood that he only knew the unique spell to destroy the barrier, and not any of his followers.

But of course, Voldemort is very powerful, and I don't doubt his destructive capabilities.

But..

Furthermore, considering how much of a beatdown it must have received from Gandalf while free-falling, then climbing the Endless Stair, then fighting 36 hours atop Zirakzigil's Peak, it would take A LOT of spells to bring down a Balrog. Why wouldn't I go back to that ? It's an impressive showing of power. Whether they did damage or not it clearly showed Voldemort's power was well beyond any of theirs which I think is more than enough to fatally wound the Balrog. Voldemort+elder wand=dead Balrog.

There's nothing to that claim he knew anything other than just using his raw power to beat his way in just like the rest.

Korto Vos
Why wouldn't I go back to that ? It's an impressive showing of power. Whether they did damage or not it clearly showed Voldemort's power was well beyond any of theirs which I think is more than enough to fatally wound the Balrog. Voldemort+elder wand=dead Balrog.

There's nothing to that claim he knew anything other than just using his raw power to beat his way in just like the rest.

It's a nice showing, indeed- but it isn't as glamorous as it is when first seeing it, as I have argued before during our Battlezone and am saying now.

And Voldemort wielding the Elder Wand is irrelevant since the Deathstick doesn't bolster his spells anyway.

Well, there's nothing to claim he's not using a specific spell, especially how Voldemort is a master of wordless spells.

quanchi112
It's a nice showing, indeed- but it isn't as glamorous as it is when first seeing it, as I have argued before during our Battlezone and am saying now.

And Voldemort wielding the Elder Wand is irrelevant since the Deathstick doesn't bolster his spells anyway.

Well, there's nothing to claim he's not using a specific spell, especially how Voldemort is a master of wordless spells. Whether it bolsters his spells it's irrelevant as the feat was done by him so that display of power was his alone.

Uhm, he blasts just pure energy from his wand all the time and this is another example. If you want to make a claim it's some kind of wordless spell you need proof otherwise it's just the same as him firing magical energy from his wand like he usually does.

The Balrog is formidable yes but Voldemort is even more so and his ranged attacks would destroy the Balrog before he could close the gap. Just like our battlezone where Voldemort tags his opponent safely from a distance.

Korto Vos
Whether it bolsters his spells it's irrelevant as the feat was done by him so that display of power was his alone.

Uhm, he blasts just pure energy from his wand all the time and this is another example. If you want to make a claim it's some kind of wordless spell you need proof otherwise it's just the same as him firing magical energy from his wand like he usually does.

The Balrog is formidable yes but Voldemort is even more so and his ranged attacks would destroy the Balrog before he could close the gap. Just like our battlezone where Voldemort tags his opponent safely from a distance.

Okay...isn't that what I said? Voldemort wielding the Elder Wand hurts him more than it aids him.

Not really...a lot of those "blasts" are actual spells. Why would Voldemort just fire aimless magical bolts when he has a deep repertoire of spells that he can wordlessly unleash, especially the likelihood of a shield-breaking incantation?

What are you talking about? Do you not read my earlier post about the Balrog's insane constitution and stamina? How does Voldemort "destroy the Balrog before he could close the gap?" You're severely underestimating the Balrog's powers and severely overestimating Voldemort's.

You understand that the Balrog fought GANDALF for over 36 hours nonstop, correct?

I must have read that wrong. You mean the Battlezone where I proved Yoda owns Voldemort either by smashing him on the ground with offensive TK or rapidly closing the distance and slicing him apart? Yeah, that's the one I remember.

quanchi112
Okay...isn't that what I said? Voldemort wielding the Elder Wand hurts him more than it aids him.

Not really...a lot of those "blasts" are actual spells. Why would Voldemort just fire aimless magical bolts when he has a deep repertoire of spells that he can wordlessly unleash, especially the likelihood of a shield-breaking incantation?

What are you talking about? Do you not read my earlier post about the Balrog's insane constitution and stamina? How does Voldemort "destroy the Balrog before he could close the gap?" You're severely underestimating the Balrog's powers and severely overestimating Voldemort's.

You understand that the Balrog fought GANDALF for over 36 hours nonstop, correct?

I must have read that wrong. You mean the Battlezone where I proved Yoda owns Voldemort either by smashing him on the ground with offensive TK or rapidly closing the distance and slicing him apart? Yeah, that's the one I remember. No, it doesn't hurt him as it didn't prevent him from killing Snape or destroying the protective barrier. It cracked once but he won't be facing the rightful ruler of the wand.

No, seeing as how that enchantment was bolstered by multiple skilled wizards from Hogwarts having a high constitution won't save him long.

Yeah, Gandalf isn't as powerful as Voldemort so despite it taking over 36 hours for him to best the Balrog Voldy will steamroll him.

The battlezone where Yoda dies an embarrassing death. That's the one I am referring to.

Korto Vos
No, it doesn't hurt him as it didn't prevent him from killing Snape or destroying the protective barrier. It cracked once but he won't be facing the rightful ruler of the wand.

For the sake of argument, I'm going to assume this is the best incarnation of Voldemort, which would clearly be him wielding his own wand (not the Deathstick, which doesn't amplify his spells, but rather has the risk of hurting him).

Wth? Voldemort fired a spell at a barrier that was already tremendously damaged by dozens and dozens of Death Eaters. And how does that feat translate to him suddenly one-shot killing the Balrog?

Umm...Voldemort is not > > > Gandalf, as you're making him to be. But you can remain in this sad delusion that Voldy "steamrolls" a demigod spirit.

Agreed!

Lord Lucien
1. Gandalf mentioned:

"This foe is beyond any of you."

Aragorn is the best swordsman/fighter in Middle-Earth, followed closely by Boromir. And Gimli and Legolas are arguably two of the best warriors of their respective races. Those four represent the finest of Elves, Men, and Dwarves, and yet Gandalf tells them, "This foe is beyond any of you." (even against Aragorn)

He doesn't even bother offering some modicum of hope. When he says, "Swords are no more use here," he's more or less stating that the combined prowess of the Fellowship is futile against a Balrog.

Therefore, even though Jackson doesn't have Gandalf yelling, "This is a Maiar! Only I can hurt him," it's pretty much implied that only an individual of Gandalf's caliber (an Istari/Maiar) can actually engage a "demon of the ancient world." And since the universes don't intertwine, you gauged that since the Fellowship (all non-Ainur beings) can't handle the Balrog, thus Voldemort can't? Frankly, Voldemort (and Snape)>>>>The Fellowship. Including Gandalf. Remember that explosion Pettigrew caused that killed 13 people? Same thing again. But bigger. And more dead elves.

2. As for your second point, I'll repeat this earlier post of mine:

And if any "non-Maiar Elf" could hurt the Balrog, why doesn't Gandalf say, "Yo Legolas! Help out a bro here!"? If Gandalf knew the Eagles could fly to Mordor, why didn't he catch a ride? Don't ask me these questions, ask Jackson's writing team.

The Balrog doesn't demonstrate any visible "f*cking shit up," but it's shown to be tremendously powerful.

The hundreds, or even thousands, of Orcs in Moria flee before it. It's mentioned that it single-handedly vanquished Dwarven rule. It survives after falling down miles. It takes Gandalf, going all-out, more than two days of nonstop battling before it finally dies (all the while absorbing countless hits from Glamdring, the legendary sword, and other spells ).

Durin's Bane is surprisingly agile, and it could conjure fiery blades and whips, among other things, and could cloak itself in fire. It seems water doesn't 'extinguish' its internal flames, or at least prevent the demon from battling, since the Balrog continued to engage Gandalf up the Endless Stair and then on Zirakzigil's Peak.

EDIT: Thus, if the spells don't even 'work' against the Balrog, well...Voldemort and Snape lose. Two separate fictional universes, and based on nothing, you put LotR magic above Harry Potter magic? Or are you saying they're totally incompatible with nullifying effects at every encounter? If it's the former, then... well like I said, what are you basing that on? And if it's the latter, what's the point of a Vs. match (or rather, this entire forum)? There's a reason Yoda was made to be able to block Voldemort's magic spells.

And if they somehow do, it would take many, many magical attacks; it's very likely the Balrog could kill both wizards in the time span it would take for them to severally wound it.

Of course, if spells are effective, then I'm guessing Avada Kedavra's 'insta-death' would also finish the demon. Therefore, I'm ignoring the Killing Curse atm. But yes, the wizards only surefire method of winning is by launching the fatal Unforgivable Curse. Or Bombarda Maxima to obliterate its body. Or Reducto. Or the levitation charm to render it immobile. Or petrificus totalus. Or immobulus. Or the shrinking charm.

quanchi112
For the sake of argument, I'm going to assume this is the best incarnation of Voldemort, which would clearly be him wielding his own wand (not the Deathstick, which doesn't amplify his spells, but rather has the risk of hurting him).

Wth? Voldemort fired a spell at a barrier that was already tremendously damaged by dozens and dozens of Death Eaters. And how does that feat translate to him suddenly one-shot killing the Balrog?

Umm...Voldemort is not > > > Gandalf, as you're making him to be. But you can remain in this sad delusion that Voldy "steamrolls" a demigod spirit.

Agreed! Either way you agree his power did so.

I didn't say he'd oneshot the Balrog I meant he'd greatly weaken the Balrog with a continuous stream of power. Voldemort could do so or apparate where he wanted to and really toy with the Balrog if need be.

Gandalf in terms of formidability is another matter entirely than Voldemort's power which he brings to the table here.

Even you don't believe Yoda wins.

Korto Vos
And since the universes don't intertwine, you gauged that since the Fellowship (all non-Ainur beings) can't handle the Balrog, thus Voldemort can't? Frankly, Voldemort (and Snape)>>>>The Fellowship. Including Gandalf. Remember that explosion Pettigrew caused that killed 13 people? Same thing again. But bigger. And more dead elves.

There are plenty of threads in which arguments are made that, "such and such can't hurt/doesn't effect so and so."

I agree that Voldemort & Snape > > Fellowship (apart from Gandalf), although the speed at which Legolas fires an arrow might possibly kill one of them.

I think you, a man of usually very rational thought, are being outlandish stating "Voldemort > > > > The Fellowship. Including Gandalf."

I said "jk" L2.

It's based on the fact that only beings on the order of Maiar and Valar can destroy them. Not men, elves, or dwarves.

Snape and Voldemort, like Boromir, are humans.

Nods head Touche! If spells do work against the Balrog, then these are other viable options for the wizards to kill the demon.

Duh, he finished off the barrier, but I have major reservations of the nature of its destruction.

Well multiple strikes from a spell-augmented already magically powerful Glamdring by Gandalf did little to "greatly weaken" the Balrog.

Umm, it's not in-character for wizards to spam!-apparate, but yeah, Voldemort can apparate to create distance against the Balrog.

Very well.

RESPONSE:

...I do!

Lord Lucien
There are plenty of threads in which arguments are made that, "such and such can't hurt/doesn't effect so and so."

I agree that Voldemort & Snape > > Fellowship (apart from Gandalf), although the speed at which Legolas fires an arrow might possibly kill one of them. PIS aside, I doubt that. Those Snatchers and the Trio in DH pt. 1 were lobbing and dodging/ducking spells in that close-quarter cafe at a tremendous rate. I think they can intercept Legolas. Unless he's in stealth mode. Then it's Critical Hit x2.

I think you, a man of usually very rational thought, are being outlandish stating "Voldemort > > > > The Fellowship. Including Gandalf." Sorry, let me rephrase. I meant to say that Voldemort is >>> than the full Fellowship. Only three chevrons. But Voldemort and Snape are >>>> than the full fellowship. Four chevrons.

I said "jk" L2. "jk" to me means Jedi Knight--as in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. I had assumed you were trying to mind trick me before.

It's based on the fact that only beings on the order of Maiar and Valar can destroy them. Not men, elves, or dwarves.

Snape and Voldemort, like Boromir, are humans.Um, I'm gonna bullshit on that. Aside from the fact that the god-on-god exclusivity is completely missing from the movies, we do see one Maiar, Saruman, getting his spinal column pierced by a very ordinary Rohan man. Unless, you can make an argument that Grima was actually a Maiar in disguise, or that perhaps the pointy watermill Saruman landed was actually Manwe himself in mill-form, then we definitely do see a Maiar's physical form being cut down by a mortal man.

I see no reason to assume that Voldemort and Snape can't destroy the Balrog's body.

ares834
Um, I'm gonna bullshit on that. Aside from the fact that the god-on-god exclusivity is completely missing from the movies, we do see one Maiar, Saruman, getting his spinal column pierced by a very ordinary Rohan man. Unless, you can make an argument that Grima was actually a Maiar in disguise, or that perhaps the pointy watermill Saruman landed was actually Manwe himself in mill-form, then we definitely do see a Maiar's physical form being cut down by a mortal man.

I see no reason to assume that Voldemort and Snape can't destroy the Balrog's body.

Well one could argue that Gandalf sorta turned him into a normal man when he shattered his staff. But it's a moot point. After all, nothing is called a Maiar in the films. Furthermore, we see plenty of Maiar being slain (or destroyed) by mortals. Sauron for example was destroyed by Elendil and Gil-Galad (in the movies Isildur), the Balrgos were killed by elves, etc...

Lord Lucien
Exactly. Morgoth's physical form was deformed by Fingolfin. Their spirits can't actually be destroyed. Even Sauron "survived" after the Ring was destroyed, he just couldn't do anything anymore. But their bodies can be killed. Sauron's was when the sea took Numenor. In the First Age, Drauglin the greatest Werewolf (creatures infused with fallen Maia) was slain by the Huan, a powerful, but non-Ainur Hound. Gothmog killed by Ecthelion. And if the Dragons were Maia then that mean that Glaurung and Smaug were both slain by Men.

quanchi112

I agree that Voldemort & Snape > > Fellowship (apart from Gandalf), although the speed at which Legolas fires an arrow might possibly kill one of them.

I think you, a man of usually very rational thought, are being outlandish stating "Voldemort > > > > The Fellowship. Including Gandalf."

I said "jk" L2.

Snape and Voldemort, like Boromir, are humans.

Nods head Touche! If spells do work against the Balrog, then these are other viable options for the wizards to kill the demon.

Duh, he finished off the barrier, but I have major reservations of the nature of its destruction.

Well multiple strikes from a spell-augmented already magically powerful Glamdring by Gandalf did little to "greatly weaken" the Balrog.

Umm, it's not in-character for wizards to spam!-apparate, but yeah, Voldemort can apparate to create distance against the Balrog.

Very well.

RESPONSE:

...I do! Who cares you agree his power did so. Voldemort more than established his power was far greater than any other wizard save Dumbledore and at the time of their confrontation Voldy held his own against him while he was the rightful wielder of the elder wand.

Not saying he'd do so left and right but he wouldn't just allow the Balrog to walk right up and attack him. Plus I can see Voldemort extinguishing his fire weapons due to the fact he did so against the basilisk in a moment when Dumbledore sent it right back after him.

Just concede that other debate already.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.