Your guilty pleasures?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Astner
I'll start. Swinging on a swing, listening to music and singing along.

Mairuzu
While wearing a skirt? Cute

Mine would be black chicks

Thoren
Thread derailing.

Mairuzu
Yu gi oh cards. Children. Children on weed. Weed on children. Weed on children on weed. Sarah michelle gellar. Apple tinis. Apple bottoms. Sporks. Puppies and kittens. Puppies and kittens on weed. Weed shaped in the form of a heart. Hearts shaped in the form of weed. Rocket power. Pink post-its. Blowjobs.

Barker
Originally posted by Thoren
Thread derailing.

Mairuzu
Waka flaka

Barker
iphone 5 is going to kick ass

Mairuzu
get the **** out the road virgin

Barker
And then I say to him

NO

BUT THAT'S A REAL NICE SKI MASK!!

Mairuzu
shut the **** up barker

Ax3l
Originally posted by Barker
And then I say to him

NO

BUT THAT'S A REAL NICE SKI MASK!!

That's all wrong.

Barker
paraphrase

dadudemon
My guilty pleasure is suttbex with Barker.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Barker
paraphrase

Pair of frays

http://i.usatoday.net/life/gallery/day/migrated-media/ascap_fray_l070419.jpg

Barker
RSS feed for OTF

BakaXero
Thread derailing.

dadudemon
Dread therailing.

Ax3l
Is there a gas leak in here?

dadudemon
Is there a las geak in here?

LanceWindu
no expression

dadudemon

LanceWindu
noneright

dadudemon
WanceLindu!

How dare you!

LanceWindu
noneleft

Ax3l
Stop it.

LanceWindu
bnone

Bardock42
Originally posted by Astner
I'll start. Swinging on a swing, listening to music and singing along.

lol, I kinda see what dadudemon is saying...

Astner
Originally posted by Bardock42
lol, I kinda see what dadudemon is saying...
That I'm the only one on this board with the balls to openly talk about my guilty pleasures and not give a flying **** about what you think about it?

Bardock42
That I'm the only one on this board with the balls to openly talk about my guilty pleasures and not give a flying **** about what you think about it?

lol, no, the opposite.

"My only fault is that I love my country too much"

I see your point though and will try to answer as best I can, though I don't think I have a guilty pleasure, as I do not feel guilty about any of my pleasures, so instead I will give things that don't necessarily fit into the traits I most value in a person or that other people might think lessens my standing intellectually or in other ways:

I very often enjoy reality TV shows, foremost Jersey Shore, but also others like Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares or Wife Swap. I also enjoyed the shows "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" and "The Powerpuff Girls" which people may consider too feminine. I enjoy "mindless" action movies or stupid comedies at times as well. And I can get into repetitive and non-artistic games and spend a lot of time on them. I also like to sing along to music, but I don't think anyone in their right mind in this world would consider that a guilty pleasure. Oh and I really like masturbation, it's good, man!

Thoren
My guilty pleasure is sexting with Bardock. no expressionno expressionno expression

shifty

Bardock42
My guilty pleasure is sexting with Bardock. no expressionno expressionno expression

shifty

That's one of my most innocent pleasures.

Astner
lol, no, the opposite.
You didn't explain exactly what you meant and why in the post I'm replying to.

I see your point though and will try to answer as best I can, though I don't think I have a guilty pleasure, as I do not feel guilty about any of my pleasures, so instead I will give things that don't necessarily fit into the traits I most value in a person or that other people might think lessens my standing intellectually or in other ways:

I very often enjoy reality TV shows, foremost Jersey Shore, but also others like Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares or Wife Swap. I also enjoyed the shows "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" and "The Powerpuff Girls" which people may consider too feminine. I enjoy "mindless" action movies or stupid comedies at times as well. And I can get into repetitive and non-artistic games and spend a lot of time on them. I also like to sing along to music, but I don't think anyone in their right mind in this world would consider that a guilty pleasure. Oh and I really like masturbation, it's good, man!
Guilt is a natural response to when you do something that you consider to go against the cultural norm in front of others, among other things less relevant to this argument. In other words it's a direct reflection of your social outlook. So when you say that you don't have any guilty pleasures you're saying that you don't believe that anything you enjoy doing makes you look awkward. As for your "guilty pleasures", these seem to be done behind locked doors and wouldn't normally be considered guilty pleasures. Compare it to holding a speech, it's not as taxing on the nerves when you do it in front of a mirror as doing it in front of a live audience.

Bardock42
You didn't explain exactly what you meant and why in the post I'm replying to.

Guilt is a natural response to when you do something that you consider to go against the cultural norm in front of others, among other things less relevant to this argument. In other words it's a direct reflection of your social outlook. So when you say that you don't have any guilty pleasures you're saying that you don't believe that anything you enjoy doing makes you look awkward. As for your "guilty pleasures", these seem to be done behind locked doors and wouldn't normally be considered guilty pleasures. Compare it to holding a speech, it's not as taxing on the nerves when you do it in front of a mirror as doing it in front of a live audience.

You completely misunderstand the term "guilty pleasure". Guilty pleasures are things that you don't talk about that you try to hide, as you fear discovery of your "pleasure" will lower people's opinion of you based usually on the lack of intellectual or artistic merit it has.

Neither singing along to music nor swinging on swings do qualify to that usually, as no one would judge you negatively for either.

Astner
You completely misunderstand the term "guilty pleasure". Guilty pleasures are things that you don't talk about that you try to hide, as you fear discovery of your "pleasure" will lower people's opinion of you based usually on the lack of intellectual or artistic merit it has.
You ignored my post. It doesn't have as much to do with intellectual or artistic standards as much as it has to do with fear of diverging from the norm. For instance. Most people wouldn't question the intellectual or artistic standard of a renown scientist or artist because he enjoys wearing women's clothing.

Neither singing along to music nor swinging on swings do qualify to that usually, as no one would judge you negatively for either.
You misunderstand, I swing on swings and sing, at the same time and yes it does come across as peculiar and abnormal, especially for a grown man like myself.

Bardock42
You ignored my post. It doesn't have much to do with intellectual or artistic standards as much as it has to do with fear of diverging from the norm. For instance. Most people wouldn't question the intellectual or artistic standard of a renown scientist or artist because he enjoys wearing women's clothing.

You misunderstand, I swing on swings and sing, at the same time and yes it does come across as peculiar and abnormal, especially for a grown man like myself.

I did not ignore your post. I explained to you what guilty pleasure actually means. You are wrong about it. Guilty pleasures has nothing to do with the norm, it has to do with perceived intellectual and artistic merit or the lack thereof.

Here is the definition from wikipedia:

"A guilty pleasure is something one enjoys and considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it. The "guilt" involved is sometimes simply fear of others discovering one's lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes. Fashion, video games, music, movies, and junk food can be examples of guilty pleasures."

You also defined "guilt" incorrectly when you said "Guilt is a natural response to when you do something that you consider to go against the cultural norm in front of others, among other things less relevant to this argument.". Guilt, again, has nothing to do with the norm, it has to do with offenses against moral or legal laws, it also has nothing to about it being in front of others, the feeling of "guilt" is something you have in private, because you feel what you did is wrong. Sure, there is a different meaning of "guilt" which has to do with others finding that you done something wrong, like in a legal court, but that's not what the colloquial use of "guilty pleasure" refers to.

Again, you didn't say "what are peculiar or abnormal things you do" though, you said "what are your guilty pleasures."

With your incorrect definitions of word, communication becomes incredibly hard. What I stated are what people would consider "guilty pleasures", what you said is an eccentricity, a completely different thing.

I am sorry this post kind of exploded, but I had to set your ignorant opinion straight, I hope from here on out we can talk from an understanding of the terms.

Thoren
That's one of my most innocent pleasures.
You complete me.

Astner
I did not ignore your post. I explained to you what guilty pleasure actually means. You are wrong about it. Guilty pleasures has nothing to do with the norm, it has to do with perceived intellectual and artistic merit or the lack thereof.

Here is the definition from wikipedia:

"A guilty pleasure is something one enjoys and considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it. The "guilt" involved is sometimes simply fear of others discovering one's lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes. Fashion, video games, music, movies, and junk food can be examples of guilty pleasures."
Actually, that has everything to do with one's perception of the norm. Of course you'd turn to a short article probably written and edited by a single individual, but if you were to examine more sources you'd find that it aligns better with how I defined it, for instance.

You also defined "guilt" incorrectly when you said "Guilt is a natural response to when you do something that you consider to go against the cultural norm in front of others, among other things less relevant to this argument.". Guilt, again, has nothing to do with the norm, it has to do with offenses against moral or legal laws, it also has nothing to about it being in front of others, the feeling of "guilt" is something you have in private, because you feel what you did is wrong. Sure, there is a different meaning of "guilt" which has to do with others finding that you done something wrong, like in a legal court, but that's not what the colloquial use of "guilty pleasure" refers to.
You sure do enjoy cherry-picking certain segments while ignoring others. First and foremost moral and legal standards are associated with the norm. There are few--if any--immoral or illegal decisions that are considered normal. Secondly, I did not associate it to an absolute standard, hence the part "that you consider to go against the cultural norm" and finally, I ended it with "among other things less relevant to the argument" hinting that the definition was by no means complete. However, for all intents and purposes it was correct.

Again, you didn't say "what are peculiar or abnormal things you do" though, you said "what are your guilty pleasures."
Because peculiar and abnormal habits doesn't necessarily make you feel guilty. Furthermore, what's peculiar and abnormal is a subjective standard at that.

With your incorrect definitions of word, communication becomes incredibly hard. What I stated are what people would consider "guilty pleasures", what you said is an eccentricity, a completely different thing.
Once again, the definitions used aren't incorrect by any means. They might be vague, but not as ambiguous as you'd like people to believe.

I am sorry this post kind of exploded, but I had to set your ignorant opinion straight, I hope from here on out we can talk from an understanding of the terms.
As long as you don't go out on an logical fallacy outbreak, distorting and cherry-picking incomplete segments of my replies there should be no problems.

Bardock42
lol, the thing you linked completely agrees with me. I'm not looking to argue with you, but a guilty pleasure is exactly what I said, and my examples are what fits most closely to this correct definiton, while what you said has nothing to do with guilty pleasures and has everything to do with abnormal or eccentric behaviour. You may feel guilty about it, and if you do, I feel bad for you, you shouldn't, but it is not what fits the term "guilty pleasure", even though it is a pleasure for you, that you feel guilty about.

That's it for me for this argument though.

Mairuzu
Assterd.

Astner
lol, the thing you linked completely agrees with me. I'm not looking to argue with you, but a guilty pleasure is exactly what I said, and my examples are what fits most closely to this correct definiton, while what you said has nothing to do with guilty pleasures and has everything to do with abnormal or eccentric behaviour.
So you're saying that you're right, but that you're not willing to argue? You don't think that seems a bit hypocritical or at the very least narrow minded? Let me explain why the definition used in the link aligns better with mine than it does with yours. There's no reference to intellectual or artistic standards, this applies to the wikipedia.org link you provided as well. More importantly, the definition used mentions the matter of personal perception just like my definition did and just like your definition didn't. Finally, my definition wasn't intended to be absolute but rather to address the situation, whereas yours was intended to be absolute.

You may feel guilty about it, and if you do, I feel bad for you, you shouldn't
Your mother was wrong, you should care about what other people think of you. If you're acting socially awkward then people will feel uncomfortable being around you. Only a self-centered prick and an attention-whore would wear a Powerpuff Girls t-shirt in public as an adult male.

That's it for me for this argument though.
Concession accepted.

Bardock42
I do not intend to prove my and refute your case twice.

Ax3l
My guilty pleasure is arguing on the internet.

cool_ghost
playing runescape, games addicting

Astner
I do not intend to prove my and refute your case twice.
What are you talking about? Your reply simply contained answers, whereas mine contained elaborate explanations and therein lies the difference. You didn't post an argument, hence it can't be considered a refutation. This is evident to anyone who actually reads our replies.

I guess I'll have to be the mature one and step down, because I know how you are. But we've digressed a bit from the main topic, so back on topic guys.

Naz
Teriyaki beef jerky. All day, erday.

Cherrywild
Iced chai tea latte's with soy milk. I cringe every time I order it, but it's oh so good.

Kharhmah
I'm starting to get into Jersey Shore.
I told myself I wouldn't.

But he was watching it.. and I was bored so I started watching it too and now... crytissue

I also like colouring.
And customising characters in rpg games, but not actually playing the game..
And paperdolls.
And knitting.
And just recently watching lots of old children's programs that I used to love when I was tiny that nobody else I know about has even heard of..

Ax3l
I'm not ashamed of anything I do.

Cherrywild
Originally posted by Kharhmah
I'm starting to get into Jersey Shore.
I told myself I wouldn't.

But he was watching it.. and I was bored so I started watching it too and now... crytissue

I also like colouring.
And customising characters in rpg games, but not actually playing the game..
And paperdolls.
And knitting.
And just recently watching lots of old children's programs that I used to love when I was tiny that nobody else I know about has even heard of.. Knit me a hat. ninja

AbnormalButSane
I still watch Grey's Anatomy.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Cherrywild
Iced chai tea latte's with soy milk. I cringe every time I order it, but it's oh so good.

ooooooh my god. iced vanilla chai... or there's this blend that's called Tiger Spice at a local coffee shop - that stuff is my most favorite drink in the world. Half Tiger Spice Chai, half Vanilla Chai, and it must be Iced.

Also the TV series "Charmed." Which is good, because I have Netflix Instant Watch which has all the episodes... and at least it's not Beverly Hills, 90210.

~Bun Bun~
Jersey ****ing shore (I DIDN'T MEAN TO GET HOOKED BUT I AM!!!!! ugh.)

^ That one is my most guilty. lol.

Others: Cigarettes, weed, imagining old people naked then wishing I hadn't, jamming out to backstreet boys and Nsync, Laughing when people get hurt... then asking if they're okay, watching people sleep because they either look really cute or really funny with their mouths hanging open and whatnot, going to my happy place when people talk too much, Twilight, Sniffing my farts aaannnndd... that's all I can think of at the moment.

ggg
Watching 90s kids television.
"Beetleborgs" is awesome. Period.

Ozzy_Sixx
Talking about anything and everything; especially the dirty stuff, with women from 18 - 80 regardless of what they look like.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.