AOTC on Blu Ray

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
This movie certainly doesn't get better the more you watch it.

For me this is by far the worst SW movie ever made and prolly one of the prettiest, which is ironical.

So watching it on blu ray made me enjoy the look, but it also enhances the complete stupidity of the storyline. I cringed at the usual stuff: the totally unbelievable love story between Anakin and Padme, the fact that Anakin is such an unsympathetic character that we can't cheer for because he's such a douche, because everything he undertakes fails (except slaughtering Tuskens) and the totally TOTALLY dreadful fireplace scene with this archaic, leaden, uberheavy dialogue about kisses that becomes scars, tormenting Anakin and which supposedly padme is to blame... OMG.

But anywho... all that has been debated to death.

I did run into another plotline, which emphasises the stupidity of this script. And it evolves around Kamino which was erased from the Jedi Archives.
Now, once upon a time in a movie called A New Hope, we see Han Solo programming his navicomputer to prevent the ship from flying into a star or a supernova... And presumably a planet as well... So I reckon any navicomputer on a ship with hyperspeed will have all the stars, planets and supernovas in their starmaps... or you could fly into them. By that reckoning: how can a planet disappear from all knowledge in the universe. That would suggest all navicomputers are locked into the Jedi Archives (which is rather ridiculous) or OB1 could simply have looked up Kamino in his Jedi Fighter's navicomputer...

Unfortunately this again stresses the stupidity of the Jedi as well... Hmmm... well, on to ROTS.

steverules_2
I'm heavily debating getting the saga on blu-ray...I have them on DVD apart from Ep.I

queeq
Well, the OT looks very crisp and sharp. And the deleted scenes are nice to watch. There's a lot of goodies on it.

steverules_2
Think I might just get it...tell me do they have the original ROTJ ending or the Hayden edit ending? Or both?

And also what about Han...does he shoot first?

queeq
Hayden is still there of course.

And Han doesn't shoot first but the timing between the two shots is shorter so it's almost as if they're simultaneous. So Lucas did kinda come back to the original... the time between the two shots is so short that it's too short to consider Han's shot as a response.
But... the original timing is better.

steverules_2
No original ROTJ ending? sad Damn

Well at least they make it seem more like a western with the shooting, like a duel

queeq
Errr... what?

Sadako of Girth
I think he mean the simultaneous Han/Greedo shooting.
(Correct me if Im wrong, but that seems to be the only context to me that fits.)
Im pretty sure though that westerns featured dudes getting plugged without getting a shot off.

I hope they dont give Han a sequinned Roy Rogers shirt and hat in the next edition if that was their intention...

steverules_2
Yeah thats what I meant, like the western gun duels where they draw and shoot at the same time

Korto Vos
Originally posted by steverules_2
No original ROTJ ending? sad Damn

Well at least they make it seem more like a western with the shooting, like a duel

"original ROTJ ending" as in the one with the 'yub nub'?

Victory Celebration > > 'Yub Nub' (although the very end of that song, with the entrance of the strings, started to get good)

Or do you mean the replacement of Shaw with Hayden? Personally, I'm a bit torn on that- I thought the reappearance of Hayden (the return of younger Anakin, the Jedi Knight) was pretty epic...although Anakin was redeemed as an old man.

queeq
Errr no... it doesn't make any sense.

Yeah thats what I meant, like the western gun duels where they draw and shoot at the same time

Well, I liked the fact that Han was ready to shoot this guy ever before he got the chance to shoot.

steverules_2
When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk

queeq
That's right, Tuco.

darthmaul1
I'm heavily debating getting the saga on blu-ray...I have them on DVD apart from Ep.I

Get it! For me TPM is the most improved in picture quality and the addition of cg yoda is great. I know where the other guy is coming from with the anakin and padme love story and it was hard to swallow. But for this I think he had to make it long and drawn out. Unlike leia and Han which is quite a short interaction, but we are still to believe they fell in love. (it does work) atoc I think it may of been better had they added the deleted scene of anakin and padme interacting with her family on naboo. And then shorten the other scenes. That deleted scene solidified padme realizing anakin had fallen for her.

S_D_J
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Get it! For me TPM is the most improved in picture quality and the addition of cg yoda is great. I know where the other guy is coming from with the anakin and padme love story and it was hard to swallow. But for this I think he had to make it long and drawn out. Unlike leia and Han which is quite a short interaction, but we are still to believe they fell in love. (it does work) atoc I think it may of been better had they added the deleted scene of anakin and padme interacting with her family on naboo. And then shorten the other scenes. That deleted scene solidified padme realizing anakin had fallen for her.

I agree about the padme/anakin scenes on Naboo.

Still AOTC is the worst of the prequel bunch, though the Obi-Jango fight is kewl

queeq
I don't agree with more scenes with Padme. The point is, there is no chemistry, there's no reason why Padme would ever fall in love with this obnoxious, arrogant whiny brat... he fails at just about everything he does in this movie... What is there to love?

ESB has a few romantic scens but they WORK... heck, even the scene in the corridors of Hoth between Han and Leia have more romance that the entire PT. But in the PT the romance between Anakin and Padme is the crucial elements for his fall... so why does it suck??? AOTC is an uberphail, just because of that.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by queeq
I don't agree with more scenes with Padme. The point is, there is no chemistry, there's no reason why Padme would ever fall in love with this obnoxious, arrogant whiny brat... he fails at just about everything he does in this movie... What is there to love?

ESB has a few romantic scens but they WORK... heck, even the scene in the corridors of Hoth between Han and Leia have more romance that the entire PT. But in the PT the romance between Anakin and Padme is the crucial elements for his fall... so why does it suck??? AOTC is an uberphail, just because of that.

There is some chemistry, but it is nothing compared to the small scenes in ESB. and just the way it was put together, but they did have to fall in love to have kids. Ideally it would of been better if they had made anakin and padme the same age in episode 1 like 14 or 16 and have a bit more interaction there. That one deleted scene on naboo from the DVD where padme is talking with her sister, and she says they are just friends and the sister says i can see the way he looks at you was good and it does show quite well he likes her and she likes him. Also it lets us see her family, this would of help with the funeral scene in ROTS when they are walking behind padme. but in reality you see these people and you have no idea who they are.

steverules_2

You're forgetting that ESB also had the incest scene...which also had more romance....and sexual chemistry...which was strange

Sadako of Girth

Romantic love does stupid things sometimes.
Especially as it is a front for the lust scam especially in our relationships when we are younger.

Its a perfect study of how physical attraction/hormones makes us want to get jiggy to reproduce, therefore 'love' kicks in to psychologically cushion us through the acts of really filthy/steamingly good yet illogical sex and our decision to mess our own freedom/lives up for the sake of the next generation you create.

(Even referred to in ROTS with that 'fingers down back of throat' speech about 'love blinding' on the balcony...sickening yet accurately telling what is going on in the plot.)

People often misread that Anakin/Padme were meant to be some shining example of coupledom, yet the whole thing exists as a parable of how things generally dont work like that....and certainly not in cases where whiny, paranoid, petulant douches and beautiful intelligent senators are concerned.

LanceWindu
You're forgetting that ESB also had the incest scene...which also had more romance....and sexual chemistry...which was strange

That's only because Leia was not written to be Luke's sister until ROTJ.

Sadako of Girth
Yet out of all the things unedited in the revisions... he left that shit unchanged.... sick

darthmaul1
I wish with the family guy it's a trap when Luke found out Leia was his sister they should of had him puking or when everyone else found out have them all puking. that would of been funny

Sadako of Girth
Has GL not seen "Old Boy"..?

queeq
Originally posted by darthmaul1
but they did have to fall in love to have kids.

That is the problem right there... the plot required them to fall in love... That we don't believe it, is the Phail... It's ridiculous, any romantic comedy only thrives on a believable love story and many work, even when opposites attract. But AOTC gives us no clue why Padme would fall in love with Anakin. All she does is roll her eyes and look at him baffled because of his behaviour... And then... she's in love. BLAAAAHHH.

DARTH POWER
I actually thought the scenes between Anakin and Padme were much better in Episode I!

queeq
In Epsiode I there weren't falling in love. She was a teenage queen elect and he was a kid that could fix things.

DARTH POWER
I know, im saying thats how bad their romance was in Episode 2, that their scenes together (including the dialogue) in Episode 1 were better..

Episode 1 had that kid crush vibe to it (are you an angel).. Cute coming from a 10 year old.. Unfortunately his pick up lines didn't mature much as he got older Lol

queeq
Oh okay... yes, good point. In fact, I think he dematured.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.