Thor vs Ganthet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
can the thunder god win this?

Bentley
Nope, he can't.

Uriel005
The badass blue midget ftw.

Utrigita
Originally posted by Bentley
Nope, he can't.

Sundipped
His dad should be able to but no not Thor.

leonidas
hm. what about ANY guardian? for the record, i agree with all the above, but we know doomsday killed a guardian and it didn't seem to really impress anyone all that much, hence my question.

JakeTheBank
A regular no name Guardian with no feats is anything but impressive.

leonidas
still, a guardian is a guardian, no? how many guardians even HAVE feats? each one is still considered to be a trans-level character as far as i know....

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by leonidas
still, a guardian is a guardian, no? how many guardians even HAVE feats? each one is still considered to be a trans-level character as far as i know....

I'm inclined to agree with this; I personally view Ganthet as a low-level, perhaps at the very most, mid Skyfather. Guardians with no feats aside from showing up and shooting the occasional energy blast and what not, on status alone, I'd peg as trans-level beings.

Still, if I had to pick against a trans-level generic type character of which they're many with hardly no feats that scream out at me versus a very solid and powerful high herald with a history of feats, I'll pick the high herald. Essentially, Guardians are like GLs without the need to recharge and a higher base level of power to draw from.

tsscls
hm. what about ANY guardian? for the record, i agree with all the above, but we know doomsday killed a guardian and it didn't seem to really impress anyone all that much, hence my question.

Doomsday didn't kill the guardian, the guardian released his energies to stop DD from gaining access to the central battery. It was a crappy story anyway.

Starscream M
so jake, you're being inconsistent. you think thor can beat dd but not a guardian, which dd beat?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Starscream M
so jake, you're being inconsistent. you think thor can beat dd but not a guardian, which dd beat?

Where did I say that?

I think Thor can most certainly beat a single no-named Guardian. As could Superman or Silver Surfer or mostly any High Herald (barring Lanterns, obviously). Ganthet himself is something different.

leonidas
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I'm inclined to agree with this; I personally view Ganthet as a low-level, perhaps at the very most, mid Skyfather. Guardians with no feats aside from showing up and shooting the occasional energy blast and what not, on status alone, I'd peg as trans-level beings.

Still, if I had to pick against a trans-level generic type character of which they're many with hardly no feats that scream out at me versus a very solid and powerful high herald with a history of feats, I'll pick the high herald. Essentially, Guardians are like GLs without the need to recharge and a higher base level of power to draw from.

i don't see thor beating any of the guardians because (ironically) of exactly what you said. any guardian>>gl. i think even the 'random' guardian is high trans. i know they are energy based, and thor is pretty dangerous against energy based opponents in a forum setting, but i still don't see thor beating one in a 1on1 situation. they do have some pretty powerful tp and tk as well as quite a host of other displayed powers. they're not JUST blast-'em-up guys.

Originally posted by tsscls
Doomsday didn't kill the guardian, the guardian released his energies to stop DD from gaining access to the central battery. It was a crappy story anyway.

fair enough. thumb up

my point was the guardian was not powerful enough to stop dd--nor were dozens upon dozens (100s??) of lanterns....

Bentley
No name Guardians are not unlike fodder godheads.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Can Thor win? Of course, that's not debatable based on his history and feats. For the majority? I don't see it happening, not if it's a regular Thor.

I'd probably favor Thor over a random Guardian as well. Not only are those green dwarfs mind numbingly incompetent, even the named ones aren't exactly given the most respect or feats usually.

A no named Guardian is probably trans level but if being above high herald is the sole reason someone outperforms Thor, that conflicts with a decent amount of his feats. Besides with Thor's almost unmatched ability to counter energy and amazing energy soak, Thor beating one is hardly unsupported.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Can Thor win? Of course, that's not debatable based on his history and feats. For the majority? I don't see it happening, not if it's a regular Thor.

I'd probably favor Thor over a random Guardian as well. Not only are those green dwarfs mind numbingly incompetent, even the named ones aren't exactly given the most respect or feats usually.

A no named Guardian is probably trans level but if being above high herald is the sole reason someone outperforms Thor, that conflicts with a decent amount of his feats. Besides with Thor's almost unmatched ability to counter energy and amazing energy soak, Thor beating one is hardly unsupported.

Pretty much.

leonidas

i don't see him beating ganthet, 1on1 period. we'll disagree about a random guardian as well. not impossible, perhaps, but certainly not for a majority imo. i'd put any random guardian well above even the highest gl and a ways beyond ss.

Bentley
I don't see Thor beating Ganthet either, if we start a feat war we will just allow fake matches like Hulk beating Odin on a physical contest and nonsense like that. Also, despite having amazing energy absorbing abilities, Thor has been beaten by energy blasts before, so I can see an energy user beating him if his level is high enough.

leonidas
I don't see Thor beating Ganthet either, if we start a feat war we will just allow fake matches like Hulk beating Odin on a physical contest and nonsense like that. Also, despite having amazing energy absorbing abilities, Thor has been beaten by energy blasts before, so I can see an energy user beating him if his level is high enough.

of course. i don't think anyone would say that just because a character is an energy user=thor can beat them. at least i'm pretty sure no one would say that..... his inability to score a clean win over ss would be a prime example. my point about a guardian is that they are much MORE than 'just' energy wielders. they wield the green energy without rings due to their willpower and mental powers which can be manifested in other ways.

leonidas
minus b&t thor of course....

Rage.Of.Olympus
i don't see him beating ganthet, 1on1 period. we'll disagree about a random guardian as well. not impossible, perhaps, but certainly not for a majority imo. i'd put any random guardian well above even the highest gl and a ways beyond ss.

I'm not really sure why you think it's so improbable when he's taken it to beings on and far above Ganthet's level much less a no name Guardian. Not impossible perhaps? This isn't Hyperion we're talking about bro, it's Thor.

I certainly wouldn't. I'd also like to remind you that Hal Jordan just one shot killed Krona like a few months ago and that little bastard was amped. Which doesn't really surprise me, they don't seem to be particularly durable. At least as far as I've seen.

leonidas
"taken on" sure. beaten in straight 1on1? i view ganthet as skyfather level. who has thor defeated 1on1 that is a skyfather? and i conceded he might be a random gaurdian, but you act as though thor commonly defeats these types of guys regularly in 1on1 situations....

Bentley
I recall him beating Glory, but Glory sucked and fought into Thor's hands.

TheLordofMurder
Thor has the "goods" to beat Ganthet...

I can see Ganthet getting a majority, but Thor has the ability to deal with the energies Ganthet can throw around...

IMHO, Thor getting 1 or 2 out of 10 isnt out of the question; especially if Thor is not holding back (ie... in full Warriors Madness and equipped with his Belt of Strength and Asgardian Battle Armor)...

quanchi112
Thor wins.

Slaanesh
Ganthet..the guy is at least low-skyfather..Thor is not beating him..

celeyhyga17
Ganthet wins.
he ain't no skyfather

JakeTheBank
Ganthet's a skyfather. Not in the range of people like Odin, Zeus, Highfather, or Shazam, but a skyfather nonetheless.

Uriel005
Ganthet's a skyfather. Not in the range of people like Odin, Zeus, Highfather, or Shazam, but a skyfather nonetheless. basically my standing on the midget. Unlike other guardians he actually goes out and does work with the vaunted and generally much exaggerated powers of the guardians.

celeyhyga17
Ganthet's a skyfather. Not in the range of people like Odin, Zeus, Highfather, or Shazam, but a skyfather nonetheless.

more like a trans-father

Sundipped
Being an appointed member of the Quintessence does give Ganthet some credibility powerwise.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
more like a trans-father

His recent feats in the pages of GL Corps as well as those prior to it show Ganthet being in the Low Skyfather range.

ozz81
i reckon thor can do this he has the potential and powers to.He should be able to absorb ganthets attacks and direct it back to him .e the antiforce , also if thor made use of his warriors maddness and esp the God blast he shud be able to slay Ganthet...It can go either way i guess depends on the writers...Rune thor will curb stomp him easy...But nonetheless i give it to thor...

Bentley
The Ganthet hate is big in this thread.

Uriel005
The Ganthet hate is big in this thread. people just can't comprehend the mystery of a guardian actually being useful. Understandable in my book.

Rage.Of.Olympus
"taken on" sure. beaten in straight 1on1? i view ganthet as skyfather level. who has thor defeated 1on1 that is a skyfather? and i conceded he might be a random gaurdian, but you act as though thor commonly defeats these types of guys regularly in 1on1 situations....

How far up in terms of Skyfathers? Low, high? If you place him on par with Odin, I'll have a hearty laugh.

Thor hasn't always won fights against Skyfathers and more powerful entities but he's done extremely well over the years. So well as a matter of fact, that the idea he can't beat Ganthet even once is just straight up lowballing.

Thor has the power to significantly hurt or put Ganthet down, especially under the current regime. Throw in his incredible resistance or Mjolnir's vast shielding capabilities along with his nigh unlimited energy absorption, and I can comfortably argue he'd take a split if I was feeling particularly Thorbaggy.

Cogito
Pre-Rebirth, after Kyle resurrected the Guardians, one of them matured too quickly and was ravaging a world, destroying all it's military and stomping Kyle/Jade. Ganthet casually undid all the damage by extending his hand (GL 161).

Same Guardian later said that Ganthet's consciousness extended across the cosmos (GL 170), e.g. omniscience (slight exaggeration likely)

And then, of course, there's the statement that Ganthet could crack a planet in half with a thought (Rebirth)

Then Ganthet casually stomping a bloodlusted herald-leveler (Killowog; Rebirth)

And let's not forget Ganthet holding off hundreds of mind controlled rookie GLs with one hand in the most recent Krona arc.

I can provide scans if anyone would like, just didn't feel like it right now.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Cogito
Same Guardian later said that Ganthet's consciousness extended across the cosmos (GL 170), e.g. omniscience (slight exaggeration likely)

PM that reference to the current Administration. Maybe then the little blue f*cks will be shown to be slightly competent.

And let's not forget Ganthet holding off hundreds of mind controlled rookie GLs with one hand in the most recent Krona arc.

I'll admit, that was impressive. The most impressive thing I think I've seen a Guardian do in a long time.

I like Ganthet -despise the rest of the Guardians though- so I won't attempt to belittle the showing.

Cogito
PM that reference to the current Administration. Maybe then the little blue f*cks will be shown to be slightly competent.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb378/CogitoXP/Lianna.jpg

Oh, and I forgot at one point Ganthet said his power was greater than the Spectre. Can't remember when he said that (something around Rebirth), but it was obviously bullshit.

Rage.Of.Olympus
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb378/CogitoXP/Lianna.jpg

Oh, and I forgot at one point Ganthet said his power was greater than the Spectre. Can't remember when he said that (something around Rebirth), but it was obviously bullshit.

I forgot how recent that scene was. There's so much Green Lantern related material, I haven't re-read most of it.

Haha I sometimes forget how much Johns despises the Spectre. That was during Rebirth when he came to Earth and was fighting Parallax or something.

JakeTheBank
I forgot how recent that scene was. There's so much Green Lantern related material, I haven't re-read most of it.

Haha I sometimes forget how much Johns despises the Spectre. That was during Rebirth when he came to Earth and was fighting Parallax or something.

Johns was always fair to Hal-Spectre (go figure).

Lord Feron
That chick kneeling in that pic above looks like she has the worst wedgie ever.

Anyway Ganthet has some cool feats alone. But when he was rolling with the other lanterns he was fairly ****ing useless like he was against the engineer and Cyborg Supes.

Stoic
I have to go with Thor on this one.

Bentley

I'll admit, that was impressive. The most impressive thing I think I've seen a Guardian do in a long time.

I like Ganthet -despise the rest of the Guardians though- so I won't attempt to belittle the showing.

I agree more or less, Ganthet is fine, the rest of the Guardians are stupid jerks and also profesional jobbers.

Cogito
Even if certain events weren't shown on panel (or shown much) because they happened billions of years ago, the Guardians still have massively impressive feats, including:

- Creating the Manhunters
- Krona creating a device that accidentally split the universe into an infinite multiverse and created the original anti-monitor
- Originally discovering and trapping the original fear (Parallax) and avarice (Ophidian) entities. Willpower (Ion) is captured somehow as well. Female Guardians (Zamarons) capture love (the Predator).

People tend to ignore these events because they prefer to think of Guardians as little blue shits who sit around and do literally nothing, but they have incredibly impressive feats that are way beyond heralds. They're legit skyfathers (not Odin level, granted)

Philosophía
Even if certain events weren't shown on panel (or shown much) because they happened billions of years ago, the Guardians still have massively impressive feats, including:

- Krona creating a device that accidentally split the universe into an infinite multiverse and created the original anti-monitor
- Originally discovering and trapping the original fear (Parallax) and avarice (Ophidian) entities. Willpower (Ion) is captured somehow as well. Female Guardians (Zamarons) capture love (the Predator).

People tend to ignore these events because they prefer to think of Guardians as little blue shits who sit around and do literally nothing, but they have incredibly impressive feats that are way beyond heralds. They're legit skyfathers (not Odin level, granted) The Guardians solo'd the burning Martians race in personal combat, and then were kind enough to not produce genocide and just genetic-raped them.

That's Fernus, only as a race.

There's really no comparison even as far as a random Guardian is concerned.

Cogito
Forgot about the Martians thumb up

Bentley
Some people here would give Thor the win over Fernus though 131

leonidas
How far up in terms of Skyfathers? Low, high? If you place him on par with Odin, I'll have a hearty laugh.

Thor hasn't always won fights against Skyfathers and more powerful entities but he's done extremely well over the years. So well as a matter of fact, that the idea he can't beat Ganthet even once is just straight up lowballing.

Thor has the power to significantly hurt or put Ganthet down, especially under the current regime. Throw in his incredible resistance or Mjolnir's vast shielding capabilities along with his nigh unlimited energy absorption, and I can comfortably argue he'd take a split if I was feeling particularly Thorbaggy.

i'd place ganthet somewhere in the middle. he's not odin, but i certainly think he'd put up a hell of a fight against odin.

you say it's 'lowballing' if i don't give him a win? how many times has thor beaten a legit skyfather (low OR high) 1on1? i have a pretty fair idea..... and yet, as rare as it is, you think it's low-balling to say he won't win here? that.... makes no sense. ganthet is also an uber tp and tk and has loads of other abilities aside from simply blasting with green energy which thor may or may not be able to absorb.

if you want to give him a win, that's not surprising. if you want to argue for a split, i'd say you've passed the stage of rational thor fan.

leonidas
but they have incredibly impressive feats that are way beyond heralds. They're legit skyfathers (not Odin level, granted)

yep. and ganthet is the greatest of them.

Cogito

Also forgot about the Starheart

Mindset
Thor caves in that blue midget's head.

TheLordofMurder
Didnt Thor defeat a Skyfather 1 on 1 in Thor #301?

I could swear he had one of those Skyfathers...the one with 4 arms...over his head about to throw him off the rainbow bridge into the void.

I cant remember if Thor was amped or not though...

Bentley
Being an skyfather by definition is not losing against the likes of Thor without a plot device. Darkseid has legitimate skyfather feats, but since he lost to Superman most people -wrongly- decided he just wasn't one anymore. The same applies to any enemy Thor has ever faced.

OneDumbG0
I agree more or less, Ganthet is fine, the rest of the Guardians are stupid jerks and also profesional jobbers. Ganthet is the only Guardian worth a lick of salt. But even he turned complete jobber once he got severely downgraded to a mere GL. And it's ridiculous.

Back during Rebirth as a Guardian he easily dispelled Spectrellax's influence over Guy and John with a mere wave of his hand. More recently, during War of the Green Lanterns he ends up exerting all his willpower and blows up his own hand to free John and Kyle from Parallax's influence.

Back during the build-up to Blackest Night he co-created the first blue power ring with Sayd out of thin air, then went on to co-create the Blue Power Battery and an entire Corps. More recently, during the build-up War of the Green Lanterns, he seemingly exhausts himself when forging a simple, unspecial GL power ring/personal battery.

It's ridiculous.

Bentley
Geoff's writing sucks with power levels, that's well known ermm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.