What Was Your First Computer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

§P0oONY
Steve Jobs' death got me thinking about the first computer I ever owned.

My first computer was a Macintosh Classic. I just fired it up... and it works perfectly. I have fond memories of it (although very few.) I remember playing Shadowgate, Dark Castle and Pirates on it. Also has an Acorn Electron at the same time, which I remember playing Monsters and Bandits at 3 O'clock on. Good times.

What about your first computer(s)? And what are your first memories using it.

Symmetric Chaos
I've never been that interested in the name of the computers. All I remember is that it was a Dell running Windows 95. My mother and her friends upgraded it Window 98 when that came out.

It had TriPeaks on it and we had it in the basement so it could tap into the phone line for internet access. I always sat on the chair with my feet under my thighs because we had spiders down there and I didn't want them crawling on my feet.

§P0oONY
It's the only computer I've ever owned that I know the name of. Simply because Macs are released more like games consoles... And on the front of the computer it says "Macintosh Classic".

I only know the makes of subsequent PCs. (Viglin, Dell, Toshiba, HP, Sony, Samsung, Gateway, Acer) Not their models.

FistOfThe North
mine was a dell in 96.

thanks to that "dude, your gettin' a dell." dude. fast foward to today, i'll never buy a premanufactured pc again. it's the worst ripoff. i'll just built it myself from now on like i just did about a month ago.

§P0oONY
I hear you there. I've had nothing but trouble with my last 3 PCs... I will be building my next computer.

majid86

inimalist
I don't remember the names, but I do remember booting stuff through DOS as a kid... even before they had those buttons that shifted between 32/64 bit

never owned a Mac...

Mindship
My brain: great for visuals, less so for calculations.

ADarksideJedi
The pimp strikes again! wink anyway my first computer or I should say my dad's was an Apple. I kind of miss those.

Lucius
An Intel 486 with Windows 3.0, later with 95.

AsbestosFlaygon
My first PC a generic brand running Windows 95.

It's still with me and displayed in one of our bedrooms, but I no longer use it.

King Kandy
I don't remember the computer but windows 95 was the OS.

parenthesis
Windows 95. ermm

Robtard
Sony Vaio w/ a 1.0ghz Pentium 1, 8mb of ram and Windows 95, paid a bit over a grand for it.

I get free comps or build my own now, mostly free.

Naz
I don't remember our first computer because I was like 4-5 when we had it, but our second computer was an HP Pavilion.

RogerRamjet
it was Commodore C64 we got in '87 i guess

dadudemon
Mine was a very old computer. I don't remember the name/brand because I was too young. However, it booted MS-DOS 2.x on it. That's where I learned all my DOS commands and learned how to play games. It used the the ol' 8 Inch floppy disk format. Lotus 123, anyone? It also could run Word Perfect (I did some homework assignments using WP...those were the days) and this Unicode centipede game...which I played the most.

Next up was a computer that had a turbo button. I believe it went from 8 Mhz to 12 Mhz on its clock speed. That computer ran Windows 3.11.

Next was a computer that ran at 120 Mhz. Lots of fun games on that like Wolfenstein 3D and Blake Stone. It was a powerhouse PC that run Windows 95 and later Windows 98. I remember being proud of it...until Intel went crazy. We were poor, but my father got cmoputer parts from his employer to build PCs with.

Robtard
My second (got for free) was a Pentium 3 @ 500mhz with something like 256mb ram, a 10gig Hard-Drive and ran Windows 2000. I was amazed at how much faster this was than my P1 100mhz.

§P0oONY
My second computer was ran on Windows 3.1. Don't remember much about it... only that it didn't have sound.

After that I had a Windows 95, Pentium @ 133mhz... I remember being amazed because it had like 2gb hdd space.

Didn't get another desktop until XP after that though.

Bardock42
Originally posted by parenthesis
Windows 95. ermm That's an operating system.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
That's an operating system.

It would appear that Parathesis is annoyed/disturbed by people using such an old OS.

I concluded this because of the irritated smilie he put at the end of his post in combination with the multiple mentions of Windows 95 "loaded" computers.

Bardock42
I don't think so.

dadudemon
I don't think so.

Well, since I just gave him an out, there's no way to know for sure, now.

I guess that's "my bad"?

We'll never know unless he "comes clean" or says you're wrong (and we still won't know for sure on the latter...but I am rambling now).

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by RogerRamjet
it was Commodore C64 we got in '87 i guess

Awesome! My first machine was the old breadbin type '83/'84 model.

http://oldcomputers.net/pics/C64-left.jpg

Great times...

Gridrunner
Matrix
Attack of the mutant camels
IK+
Way of the exploding fist
Falcon Patrol
Stellar wars

There were some many classics.....those were the days, man.
Best soundchip of all the 8 bitters too.

Was this the one you had?
http://www.sequencer.de/pix/software/commodore_c64.jpg

Bicnarok
Sinclair Spectrum

alltoomany
the calculator

MrPasture13
My first Computer was HP Pentium IV.

JamesWright13
My first computer was a Compact Desktop. with Intel processor The PC was P-II.
_________
Best Credit Cards

Shanelouis
Intel Compact P-II was my ever fist computer.

Flameback
If I go back to when I was a kid it was my brother's Commodore 64. I don't have a lot of memories of it but the few I do have were fond memories. The games I mainly remember playing on it is Spy Hunter, Spy vs. Spy and there were a couple others but can't remember the names of them at the moment.

Randy15
My first computer was DELL PentiumIII. it was considered efficient then by now it seems to be so slow.
________
Best Hair Hot Rollers

Stoic
Mine was a Pentium 3 - 450, with 512 MB of ram. At the time it was a real beast of a PC. Now you could likely find a phone with more power.

David35
My favorite Computer is APPLE. it has all the advance features. moreover it has long battery time.
_________
Norte

Burning thought
I think it was a Vectrix

OR an Amiga that I played rainbow island on.

Kelly_Bean
A Windows 98. At the time we purchased it we couldn't get internet for a while so, though less interesting, I was young so it was a real treat for me! I remember mostly just using it to play those dumb games that come with the computer or using it for school assignments.

Blinky
The manufacturer's name was, Goldstar, it was DOS, 286 -- I think. My father bought it when I was five, or so.

zeel
trs-80 color computer.

inimalist
WTB Commodore PET 4032

truejedi
mine was a Commodore 64

Lewis21
My ever first computer was Compaq. it was a laptop. but i t aws really disappointing. i fed up of the brand now i am using Sony its much better than the previous one.
________
How to Become Foster Parents Madison WI

siriuswriter
Okay, I was born in '88 so I'd have been first using a computer at four... maybe? We had this awesome game that used the three ducklings that are Donald Duck's nephews... and they would swing through the jungle and jump from platform to platform - it was a very rudimentary "Donkey Kong" kind of set-up. That, and a Sonic the Hedgehog game, which had a spot on world three where you couldn't go past, there was nothing to jump to, no secret passageways or anything. I always was so frustrated when I got there, I had to restart the game.

It had a DOS system, I think the games were on floppy discs? If it were in front of me today I'd have no idea what to do with it, my family graduated to a Windows 64 computer that was a cast-off from a family we were friends with whose dad was an orthodontist - so they were very rich.

My first personal computer was a Dell laptop, that I bought the summer before my freshman year at college. It was an Inspiron... numbers I don't remember. It broke down a few years later, just stopped working entirely which was frustrating because I lost everything.

NeoGills
Well mine was dell in 1999
that was the luckiest day of my life when my parents bought it.

inetglobalsolut
(deleted)

chhaya123
I started dos base... operating system

rotiart
I realized my first cell phone served the same purpose as my firs computer...

To play solitaire!

Digi
An Acer. Technically my parents' computer. "My" first is the awesome custom built one I'm staring at right now.

Anyway, **** Acer. Worst goddamn thing ever.

I'll never do anything but build my own from now on. Cheaper for what you're getting, and there's always some annoyance or compromise with pre-built rigs.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Digi
An Acer. Technically my parents' computer. "My" first is the awesome custom built one I'm staring at right now.

Anyway, **** Acer. Worst goddamn thing ever.

I'll never do anything but build my own from now on. Cheaper for what you're getting, and there's always some annoyance or compromise with pre-built rigs.

I doubt your last statement will be true.

the ninjak
Amiga 500.

elbertrobe
my first computer was HP P4. I got a bunch of games for Christmas, I have chosen, such Questprobe Spider-man adventure game, which of course, I tried loading the first day of Christmas, but ... After 5 min and loading out.

§P0oONY
I doubt your last statement will be true. What's to doubt? I'll never buy a prebuilt rig again either.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.