Thor VS The Sentry (In a Sword Fight)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wildernesss
Thor VS The Sentry (In a Sword Fight)

No prep/bfr. siege version of sentry. thor has the Odin sword. sentry has the grasscutter. fight is outside avengers mansion.

who wins?

JakeTheBank
Thor.

Mr.Mxyzptlk
Does Sentry even know how to use a sword?

Igniz
Thor FTW

wildernesss
Originally posted by Mr.Mxyzptlk

even if sentry can only use it in a crude manner, he's so much faster than thor that it's unlikely thor could even react.

Kasper Gutman
I doubt Sentry learned much about sword fighting while living as a junkie or later on when he was a shut in. Sentry impales himself.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Sentry's speed edge will just be that, an edge. Which is more than balanced out by Thor's far superior skill.

Damborgson
Hmm not much of a fight. Bobs so unstable he'd be trying to impale himself with the sword entire time. thor wins stick out tongue

Power Cosmic II
Originally posted by Mr.Mxyzptlk

My thoughts as well. he's faster than thor. Speed does not always negate skill however.

Black bolt z
I don't know how much experience thor has with a sword. But i'm going to guess its a helluva lot more than bob. Thor takes this fight.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Black bolt z
I don't know how much experience thor has with a sword. But i'm going to guess its a helluva lot more than bob. Thor takes this fight.

Centuries at least.

Damborgson
Originally posted by Black bolt z
I don't know how much experience thor has with a sword. But i'm going to guess its a helluva lot more than bob. Thor takes this fight. he's always been pretty good with the sword.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSkill11.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSkill12.jpg

cdtm
n/t

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by cdtm
Is that a girl playing Thor, of did he get transgendered?

lol

It's the art. Didn't much care for it either, but the story was good.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Centuries at least.

Yeah, but that doesn't matter.

After a certain point, there is no further improvements to gain in skill.

There is only so many ways in which a limb can move, and of course it applies to weapons as well. I'd say after a couple of decades, one has learned as much as there is to learn regarding the applicable techniques of any fighting system.

Also, Skill is such a vague term, it has no concrete meaning and it can't be quantified by itself.

The way skill is typically thought of, it can be comprised of these physical stats; reflexes/reaction time, general speed, and hand-eye-coordination.

hand-eye-coordination is perhaps the only facet in which Thor might have an advantage here.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by CosmicComet

There is only so many ways in which a limb can move, and of course it applies to weapons as well. I'd say after a couple of decades, one has learned as much as there is to learn regarding the applicable techniques of any fighting system.

Also, Skill is such a vague term, it has no concrete meaning and it can't be quantified by itself.

The way skill is typically thought of, it can be comprised of these physical stats; reflexes/reaction time, general speed, and hand-eye-coordination.

hand-eye-coordination is perhaps the only facet in which Thor might have an advantage here.

What?

Sentry might know that the pointy sharp end is the one that he needs to attack Thor with but that's about as much as we can assume when it comes to Reynolds and swords. Thor would wreck Sentry in contest of swordsmanship.

JakeTheBank

It matters to the point that the skill Thor has clearly dwarfs anything Sentry is capable of. It also gives him the win here.

ozz81
thor as you know he has had thousands of years of experience in using weopons of all types... Sentry hasnt

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Sentry might know that the pointy sharp end is the one that he needs to attack Thor with

Debatable.

CosmicComet

What?

An entirely fundamental, factual, truthful statement based on reality.

Not surprising that you could not digest it however.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
It matters to the point that the skill Thor has clearly dwarfs anything Sentry is capable of. It also gives him the win here.

My point is there is only 20 maybe 30 years of experience that actually matters there.

So saying centuries is just blowing hot air.

Does it give Thor the win though? Debatable.

Bernard Hopkins is/was certainly more technically sound and airtight in defense than say, Roy Jones Jr. That didn't stop the far more physically gifted RJJ from beating Hopkins though.

Speed matters. A lot. I know we like to have this romanticized view of technique over all, but sometimes pure physical gifts are enough to overcome them even with sloppy technique/form--and Sentry's speed advantage is certainly very notable.

Rage.Of.Olympus
An entirely fundamental, factual, truthful statement based on reality.

Not surprising that you could not digest it however.

I get it, your anus, it's still sore but let's set the butt hurt aside for a moment. Yes there are only so many ways one can move a weapon until more experience becomes redundant, for lack of a better word, in regards to technical skill but your post implies that Sentry himself had some sort of notable skill -that we can gauge- which makes Thor's greater experience matter less. But as far as I know, Sentry has never used a sword in a fight and as such, Thor's experience and intimate knowledge of handling a blade will be a huge asset. So huge as a matter of fact that he'd utterly wreck Sentry in a contest of swordsmanship.

In short, saying that Thor having centuries of skill doesn't matter is stupid. Incredibly stupid as a matter of fact.

I'd also like to point out that we're discussing comic characters and as we've seen consistently over the decades, sufficient skill is enough to trump a speed advantage.

CosmicComet
Sore from what? That would imply that you've done something to me before?

And, read the post just above yours, thank you.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Sore from what? That would imply that you've done something to me before?

And, read the post just above yours, thank you.

You tell me. Looking at your immediate response, I'm guessing I have a nice penthouse in your head.

I'd give you the same advice. Thor is vastly more skilled, arguing that it doesn't matter is stupid. At least if you've read comic books consistently.

For the record, Sentry's speed advantage wouldn't even be that large in a regular battle. Thor would hang just fine.

quanchi112
Sentry wins. Speed skills.

CosmicComet

I'd also like to point out that we're discussing comic characters and as we've seen consistently over the decades, sufficient skill is enough to trump a speed advantage.

Unfortunately, there is an instrinsic physical pre-requisite in place there.

Someone with greater technical know-how can beat someone who is faster than them, but that requires them to have reflexes/reaction times good enough to compensate for the speed advantage in the first place.

Going back to my analogue;
Hopkins was fast enough to react to RJJ enough to not be completely demolished, but not enough to beat him.

Of course, the difference in skill between Thor and Sentry is greater than the difference in skill between the above, but the difference in speed between the two is also greater than the difference in speed above, this time going the opposite way in Sentry's favor.

And fortunately for Sentry, its not like there's a whole lot to know about sword fighting. You thrust, you slash, you use two hands for more power and one hand for greater reach, you avoid sword on sword contact when you can and block with certain parts of the blade when you can't avoid collisions.

And the first few of those things are simply intuitive anyway.

Is Thor's great experience and decent speed enough to overcome Sentry's non-experience but phenomenal speed for a majority? Obviously Thor has the feats to say he can react, but can he do so consistently enough to win? It is arguably not clear.

Silent Master
Did you just say that there wasn't a lot to know about sword fighting?

CosmicComet
Yes, just as in boxing or any other combat techniques, there is only a small pool of applicable fundamentals.

The rest all comes from the individual's gifts or lack thereof.

The human body can only move so many ways, that's why different fighting techniques across the centuries of civilizations that had no known contact at the time, still had techniques that were practically identical to things from other, foreign styles. There is only so many ways to throw a punch, throw a kick, or feint etc.

Silent Master
Tell that to Lei Sheng

Rage.Of.Olympus
Unfortunately, there is an instrinsic physical pre-requisite in place there.

Someone with greater technical know-how can beat someone who is faster than them, but that requires them to have reflexes/reaction times good enough to compensate for the speed advantage in the first place.

In comic books, characters who are vastly out matched in speed have consistently used greater skill to overcome the disparity. It's reached the point that great enough skill can even simulate such speed.

Batman, Captain America and tons of other streets have entire chunks of their careers devoted to those ideas.

Going back to my analogue;
Hopkins was fast enough to react to RJJ enough to not be completely demolished, but not enough to beat him.

Of course, the difference in skill between Thor and Sentry is greater than the difference in skill between the above, but the difference in speed between the two is also greater than the difference in speed above, this time going the opposite way in Sentry's favor.

And fortunately for Sentry, its not like there's a whole lot to know about sword fighting. You thrust, you slash, you use two hands for more power and one hand for greater reach, you avoid sword on sword contact when you can and block with certain parts of the blade when you can't avoid collisions.

And the first few of those things are simply intuitive anyway.

Is Thor's great experience and decent speed enough to overcome Sentry's non-experience but phenomenal speed for a majority? Obviously Thor has the feats to say he can react, but can he do so consistently enough to win? It is arguably not clear.

Did you really just say that there isn't a whole lot to know about sword fighting? You can't honestly believe that.

Sentry is faster than Thor but unfortunately it won't be a large enough advantage to overcome Thor's vastly superior swordsmanship. Sentry isn't the Flash whose entire method of battling Thor revolves around speed. The Odinson will handle Sentry's speed just fine without even using great skill. The fact that Thor will rely on great skill will by the nature of the medium most likely create a bigger gap in raw speed but I'm comfortable when I say it won't be big enough. If for no reason other than Sentry is inept more often than Thor is outclassed against such opponents in terms of speed.

Thor might have his low showings in comparison to Superman-like bricks as he has no established day to day speed but it's been made pretty clear over the years, that if a character is powerful enough in other venues, he can and will fight them on their level comfortably no matter the speed edge. Call it mental blocks, comic book politics or whatever you want but it is what it is.

tkitna
Sentry gets pissed and throws the sword away and then continues to beat Thor to death with his bare hands.

Rage.Of.Olympus
He already tried that, didn't go well for him:
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/Thor/DefeatsSentry1.jpg
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/Thor/DefeatsSentry2.jpg

quanchi112
Originally posted by tkitna
Sentry gets pissed and throws the sword away and then continues to beat Thor to death with his bare hands. thumb up

Silent Master
This is a sword fight, throwing your sword away would be the same as forfeiting.

gogogadgetgo
Yes, just as in boxing or any other combat techniques, there is only a small pool of applicable fundamentals.

The rest all comes from the individual's gifts or lack thereof.

The human body can only move so many ways, that's why different fighting techniques across the centuries of civilizations that had no known contact at the time, still had techniques that were practically identical to things from other, foreign styles. There is only so many ways to throw a punch, throw a kick, or feint etc.

better not let em ninja samurai guys hear you say that, dey wil killz u! stick out tongue

gogogadgetgo
cosmiccomet does have a point, some martial arts have a lot of techniques but not all are actually applicable in real battle.

though the thousand years argument to master his swordsmanship sill does hold water. after learning all the techniques, the body is then honed to react automatically. which is why, stupid as it may seem, most martial arts practice their techniques over and over again so that the body can learn the moves and be able to react automatically. this is how reflex is trained.

and thor's reflex is good enough and he can move fast enough to counter really fast shit. i'd say his body is moving and already reacting without having the need to think of what to do.

this is also the reason why i think many street levelers such as batman are able to dodge bullets and shit like that. he see's gun, and his body knows by looking at how the shooter is aiming how to react. presto, bullet dodging time.

gogogadgetgo
Originally posted by tkitna
Sentry gets pissed and throws the sword away and then continues to beat Thor to death with his bare hands.

too bad sentry is a pussy thus the tactic backfires and thor beats sentry to death.

SamZED
If this was a sword skill contest Thor would clearly dominate. But this fight comes down to "who stabs whom first" and Sentry having a speed advantage should be able to do it regardless of his sword skills. Kinda like if Quicksilver fought Wolverine. Who's better with a sword? Logan clearly. Who would get the hit first. QS. IMO that's how it is.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Silent Master
This is a sword fight, throwing your sword away would be the same as forfeiting. No, it wouldn't.

Silent Master
Again, This is a sword fight, throwing your sword away would be the same as forfeiting.

quanchi112
Again, This is a sword fight, throwing your sword away would be the same as forfeiting. So if he gets his sword knocked out of his hand and uses his other abilities does he lose the thread ? Seriously.

Silent Master
Getting a sword knocked out of your hand isn't the same as throwing it away.

Bentley
Originally posted by quanchi112
So if he gets his sword knocked out of his hand and uses his other abilities does he lose the thread ? Seriously.

It seems you have some problems with the sword part of the fight.

tkitna
He already tried that, didn't go well for him:
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/Thor/DefeatsSentry1.jpg
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/Thor/DefeatsSentry2.jpg

It was all in the plan. He played it perfectly allowing Thor to hit him while making time for the others to get in place for the beat down.

eek!

quanchi112
Getting a sword knocked out of your hand isn't the same as throwing it away. It's just handicapping himself not anything else.Originally posted by Bentley
It seems you have some problems with the sword part of the fight. I honestly don't think he needs it if he uses his speed that is.

Silent Master
Again, this is a sword fight...throwing his sword away means he concedes defeat.

quanchi112
Again, this is a sword fight...throwing his sword away means he concedes defeat. No, getting killed means he loses. You don't lose if you lose your sword in battle.

Silent Master
Throwing your sword away isn't the same as being disarmed.

Badabing
Thor wins.

quanchi112
Throwing your sword away isn't the same as being disarmed. It has the end result but in a thread the person who defeats or kills the other wins not the guy who loses his sword first.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Badabing
Thor wins.

I agree.

the ninjak
Sentry can't die and can particle manipulate gods to death!

Screw the swords Sentry wins this. He has the GrassCutter and it kills gods so Sentry has the speed and the short burst longevity.

He cuts Thor's fricken arm off. Then rips his particles apart.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Badabing
Thor wins.

Correct. thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.