Do Comic writers have a shelf life?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gustavo Fring
In Golf it's said you get 12 years at the top of your game, the same is said of Tennis. Artists are often different and change and adapt over time bringing us wonderful 'periods' of their career, which led me to thinking, "What about comic writers?"

Now, I thought about this long and hard and decided it might be true and that they might also have periods and then go onto other things having exhausted their ability to produce novel comics.

Frank Miller, John Byrne and Chris Claremont certainly seem writers with their best work behind them. Neil Gaiman on the other had rarely produces comics now and those comics don't really stand up to his earlier works, yet he does so many other things. The same is true of Grant Morrison and to a lesser extent Alan Moore.

Thoughts?

Q99
It depends. Some can do good stuff for a really long time, others have a few stories, some start out ok but get better.

Personally I'd say Morrison is one of the long-time ones- sure, not all of his new stuff is good, but some of it is, and not everything he wrote in the past was awesome either.

Some of it is also complacency, a writer can be good, get too used to things, then get themselves together and write a really good story again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.