The Phantom Menace 3D

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

S_D_J
I don't know if there's a thread for this yet, if so please merge or lock

Phantom Menace 3D Poster Revealed
Darth Maul takes center stage.

I guessed they weren't kidding when they say the idea to bring back Maul was Lucas'... He now takes center stage in the poster

I love Maul, though so it's good... the poster I mean... but it looks uncomfortably fan-made-ish erm

The good news (at least to me) is that it'll also be released in 2D big grin

btw: I luv how they put digital Yoda in there laughing

It looks likes he's thinking: "Oh sh*t, not again..."

LanceWindu
Originally posted by S_D_J

I guessed they weren't kidding when they say the idea to bring back Maul was Lucas'... He now takes center stage in the poster

I love Maul, though so it's good... the poster I mean... but it looks uncomfortably fan-made-ish erm

I came to post the poster. It looks absolutely terrible. Some kid who just got Photoshop can make a better poster than this.

The logo is using a basic gradient, FFS! Lucasfilm is dropping way too many balls lately.

No Qui-Gon on the poster?! Lucas keeps blabbing about the entire saga being about Anakin, yet he's nowhere to be seen either.

"How can we make kids want to see this in theaters again? They love Darth Maul. The kids love pod racing too. Might as well show off our new CGI Yoda while we're at it."

queeq
Well, the last good poster they made was the teaser for Phantom Menace: with Jake Llloyd and Vader's shadow...

More crap...

steverules_2
Originally posted by queeq
Well, the last good poster they made was the teaser for Phantom Menace: with Jake Llloyd and Vader's shadow...

More crap...

I have that poster...I got a pretty big version of it

queeq
Cherish it.

LanceWindu

More crap...

That poster filled me with such hope. Then I watched the movie and that hope was deflated. I liked TPM when it first came out, but even then it never fulfilled that hope.

steverules_2
Cherish it.

Oh I do, on the bottom in small print it says 'For display purposes only, not to be sold' or something a long those lines so I'm guessing it was used in a cinema somewhere

-Pr-
Poor Liam Neeson.

S_D_J
Originally posted by -Pr-
Poor Liam Neeson.

There was room for him in upper-right corner

guess the 8 years-old who made it was too busy putting in a smoke effect no expression

steverules_2
Poor Liam Neeson.

Least there's no Jar Jar, although I can't say that for the movie...they should cut him out and call it 'Star wars episode I: The phantom menace, the good edition.'

LanceWindu
Originally posted by steverules_2
Least there's no Jar Jar, although I can't say that for the movie...they should cut him out and call it 'Star wars episode I: The phantom menace, the good edition.'

You need to watch The Phantom Edit. wink

-Pr-
There was room for him in upper-right corner

guess the 8 years-old who made it was too busy putting in a smoke effect no expression

Having Darth Maul plastered in the middle doesn't help either.

Question though: Has the movie itself been changed at all? Apart from the whole Yoda CGI thing.

LanceWindu

Question though: Has the movie itself been changed at all? Apart from the whole Yoda CGI thing.

Wasn't there a change for the Blu-ray where they took out the "Vote now." chant in the Senate?

S_D_J

Even if there is, I don't think many would care, changes are mostly cosmetic. I don't think there'll be something like Greedo shooting first or Vader screaming

I actually like the idea of having the poster build around Maul, the problem is how badly done it is... as if they weren't even trying no expression

steverules_2
Originally posted by LanceWindu
You need to watch The Phantom Edit. wink

Is that on youtube somewhere or is it a download?

-Pr-
Originally posted by LanceWindu
Wasn't there a change for the Blu-ray where they took out the "Vote now." chant in the Senate?

I don't know; I haven't watched them.

Even if there is, I don't think many would care, changes are mostly cosmetic. I don't think there'll be something like Greedo shooting first or Vader screaming

I actually like the idea of having the poster build around Maul, the problem is how badly done it is... as if they weren't even trying no expression

I don't think they were; I was just looking for an excuse to go see it tbh.

steverules_2
So...are ALL the movies being done in 3D?

S_D_J
Originally posted by steverules_2
So...are ALL the movies being done in 3D?

All six of them, one per year starting next year

queeq
And more changes no doubt.

darthmaul1
All six of them, one per year starting next year

It would be funny if 3D went belly up in 4 or 5 years.

S_D_J
Originally posted by darthmaul1
It would be funny if 3D went belly up in 4 or 5 years.

Avatar 2 will give it a few more years. The only way 3D movies work is if they're shot in 3D...or if it is a CG movie.

Disney did great with The Lion King, and they're prepping more releases for next year, and the following... I don't think it'll go away for the next couple of years at the very least

queeq
Lion King only did well because everyone likes the original. It's something that will work for events... like Lion King, like Star Wars... but for regular filmmaking? I dunno..

S_D_J
3D will still be available like it is now by the time ROTS comes out.

Unless they're really doing a great job with the conversion process (which I doubt cuz all converted movies look like sh*t anyways) LF should have released each movie every 6 months erm at the very least

queeq
Yeah well... we'll see what happens.

Barker
Without commenting on the quality of TPM, I'm excited to see it in theaters again. srug

darthmaul1
3D will still be available like it is now by the time ROTS comes out.

Unless they're really doing a great job with the conversion process (which I doubt cuz all converted movies look like sh*t anyways) LF should have released each movie every 6 months erm at the very least

Agreed this year between movies is crap.

queeq
Sw is fading... such great intervals doesn't help.

Sadako of Girth
Shite movie plus shite medium of projection... equals.....?

S_D_J
... shitloads of money

Sadako of Girth
Ha. Youre probably right, judging by the business that Transformers 3 did.

The Nuul
I feel sorry for you SW fanboys. Lucas just milks you guys with the same movies over and over again.

-Pr-
Trailer:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=48767& amp;t=Trailer_for_iStar_Wars_Episode_I_The_Phantom
_Menacei_3D_Release

ares834
Decent trailer. Gotta love how Jar Jar isn't in it...

LanceWindu
The trailer doesn't show me how it's going to look in 3D, just looks like a regular trailer.

queeq
Trailer doesn't work anymore.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by The Nuul
I feel sorry for you SW fanboys. Lucas just milks you guys with the same movies over and over again.

You assume too much.

I most likely will not be bothering. Maybe with ROTJ and ESB. But thats it.

The bluray versions of the movies are as far as I go.
(And even then I only really bother with Eps 3-6.)

Fanboys would be the clone wars addicts and automatic accepters of whatver Lucas does.

Hardcore SW fans are different. A more discerning bunch.
So calling us all fanboys is a bit off.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
You assume too much.

I most likely will not be bothering. Maybe with ROTJ and ESB. But thats it.

The bluray versions of the movies are as far as I go.
(And even then I only really bother with Eps 3-6.)

Fanboys would be the clone wars addicts and automatic accepters of whatver Lucas does.

Hardcore SW fans are different. A more discerning bunch.
So calling us all fanboys is a bit off.

you are a bit off with that as well

by your definition Hardcore SW fans are the ones that don't accept anything Lucas gives, besides the untouched OT, and excuse me for being blunt but that's dumb... those are just cynics.

You, and by you I mean it in a general sense (not directed at you Sadako), can't alienate everyone else just because you think you're hardcore and what constitute what every other hardcore fans thinks and likes.

There are people who like the PT ( blink shock!), there are others who like CW, ppl who love the EU, or an specific era/thread of the EU, and they're hardcore SW fans as well... or just someone who enjoys SW and are not bother to make a fuss everytime something gets change/mess with, but that doesn't mean they like or accept any change/re-release made.

everyone's entitled to opinion

Originally posted by The Nuul

If it makes money it's because there are people who enjoy it and want to see it again, no one forces anyone to fork more money. No one says just because you're a SW fans you are obligated to spend money on it, even if you hate it.

Transformers 3 did as well as it did because there were people who like the previous 2, there were some who like the third one so much they went for repeat viewings. Why does that bother people, that there are others with different taste?

There are just cynics... and then there's assh*le cynics

ares834
Gasp!

Don't compare Bayformers to SW. Hell, they make AotC look like an Academy Award winning moive.

S_D_J
Originally posted by ares834
Gasp!

Don't compare Bayformers to SW. Hell, they make AotC look like an Academy Award winning moive.

hehehe

it's apple and oranges, some like both fruits, or hate one... or both equally

queeq
Just because one likes one thing or the other, doesn't mean you can't argue about it. I think there are very valid points why the OT is stronger in storytelling and cinematograhpy. You can say you LIKE AOTC, but that doesn't make it a very good movie. Because it's not really. However, you can watch it as often as you want on VHS, DVD, Blu Ray or 3D. You're welcome to it.

And I agree with Sadako, you can be a fan and be critical. For instance: ANH is great but the Toshi Station quote is quite whiny... plus Harrison Ford is not acting his best in the cockpit scene with Leia after the DS escape... ROTJ has serious flaws as well... And yet overall, the OT is most certainly better than the PT. Stunning special effects don't a good movie make.

S_D_J
I never said anything against arguing about it or being critical

everyone's entitled to opinion

I agree with you, the OT is much better than the PT (except the FX) and AOTC is the worst SW movie

my point is it can not be said that anyone who likes/enjoys the PT, or anything EU (CW included) is nothing but a fanboy

I know some friends that truly enjoyed AOTC, few of them are Hardcore SW fans

queeq
Well, I consider people fanboys who cannot stand criticism towards SW. I do not consider YOU to be a fanboy. Just a fan, like me.

Sadako of Girth
you are a bit off with that as well

by your definition Hardcore SW fans are the ones that don't accept anything Lucas gives, besides the untouched OT, and excuse me for being blunt but that's dumb... those are just cynics.

I didn't mean I "don't accept anything" he puts out, but more "dont accept everything" her puts out was more where I was coming from.

queeq
Happy Dance

darthmaul1
Even if it wasn't in 3D i would still be going to it in the theater with my nieces, just because the wonderful experince of seeing it on the big screen. and they have never seen them on the big screen

queeq
That is a good point... I might do the same with my kids.

mossman
I'm going because it is released on my birthday ... Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Sith Master X

I do think it's funny in a way that everyone still b**tches about the lack of character development in the PT, and yet Maul, one of the most undeveloped characters of any SW film, is most people's favorite PT character.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not coming down on ya, just a general observation.

queeq
I'm not too impressed with Maul. Good design but that's about it. Boba Fett, with his original voice, had more coolness if you ask me.

darthmaul1
I'm not too impressed with Maul. Good design but that's about it. Boba Fett, with his original voice, had more coolness if you ask me.

We should do a time calculation to see has more screen time. Maul or Boba

LanceWindu
We should do a time calculation to see has more screen time. Maul or Boba

Original cut of the trilogy for Boba or Special Edition cuts? That would be a big difference.

queeq
Prolly Maul... but what does that mean?

Jar Jar has a lot of screen time. It doesn't get better by the minute.

Sadako of Girth
Prolly Maul... but what does that mean?

Jar Jar has a lot of screen time. It doesn't get better by the minute.

Each passing moment makes the viewer's likelihood of fashioning a noose for themselves from the power cord of their player more certain.

queeq
I know the feeling... wink

Stun
And his reign of terror will apparently continue with this unecessary 3D garbage. It's one of those things i'll probably watch, but it really means nothing to me. It's a pity that Lucas is SO tied down with star wars, he hasn't the energy to get off his fat, very rich ass, and create something new.

queeq
That is truly the greatest disappointment. On the other hand, if stuff like Indy IV is 'new stuff', maybe he shouldn't do other things.

Maken indy, I'd say. Like Coppola. Maybe it's not super great but at least it'll have heart instead of a wallet.

roughrider
Saw the trailer for this in the theatre before Hugo his week. Lucas has wanted to do this for years; only now with so many Digital 3D screens can it happen.
To paraphrase from Darth Maul:

"At last I shall reveal my film in 3D. At last I will have revenge (On all the fanatics who hated on Jar Jar hah hah I've never backed off on him he's in The Clone Wars and doing just fine see I was right kids like him)

stick out tongue

queeq
I might take my kids to go and see them all in 3D. they never saw SW in the cinema.

Jaeh
bloody hell, new money making scheme. darn you Lucas...

...I'm so watching this.

queeq
Hehehe... we all fall for it again.

darthmaul1
Hehehe... we all fall for it again.

Or you could just stay at home and watch the DVD or Bluray?
Let's face it even IF they weren't in 3D we would still go see them in the theater. I just think (if he can) he should release them one a month or at least every 2 months. this 6 years is total crap.

queeq
Nah, that wouldn't work for me. Not for full fees that is.

Kazenji
Never before seen storyboards, a battle sequence it would've involved a Jedi-lead attack on Theed before the film's climactic battle.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=53594

queeq
Hmmm... not very interesting...

So this would have made the FIFTH battle storyline? It was messy as it was... good thing they cut at least one simultaneous battle.

BruceSkywalker
will not be seeing this at all unless a friend of mine gets this for his screening room

queeq
Well, it may be fun...

I wonder of there will be cheers on the opening credits though.

Hybris
Originally posted by Kazenji
Never before seen storyboards, a battle sequence it would've involved a Jedi-lead attack on Theed before the film's climactic battle.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=53594

Reminds me of the intro of Jedi Power Battles for PS1, good days those were!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4GlNwwirO8

darthmaul1
Hmmm... not very interesting...

So this would have made the FIFTH battle storyline? It was messy as it was... good thing they cut at least one simultaneous battle.

Yes cause 4 is so much bigger than the 3 in rotj.

queeq
Well, yes it is actually.

coolmovies
This is gonna be a big flop alot of people dont want to see jar jar binks in 3D !

queeq
Maybe if they market it as a horror movie.

Sadako of Girth
In space noone can hear you babble on like "Meesa this Meesa that."

The movie is a big stupid, dumb, illogical, self contradictory mess.
Seeing it in 3d wont change that one little bit.

coolmovies
Fans are just being sucked in by trailers and advertising just to get fan into the the cinema . I still remember when TPM came out in 1999 there where tons of toys and talk about the film

Kazenji
and the humping battle droid for the toys.

queeq
Whaat?

Kazenji
One of the battle droid toys for Episode 1 the ones where they fly around on those hover guns (whatever they're called)......you pressed something on it it was ment to be the droid firing the guns but yeah it looked like something else.

coolmovies
The way things are going i think lucas is gonna save the tons and tons of hidden Special Extres for the 3D VERSIONS

For example Transformers dark of the moon 2D has no extres but 3D has loads.

queeq
What extra's are left then?

coolmovies
What extra's are left then?

I am sure Lucus will save the best stuff for the very last release which is 3D

darthmaul1
here is a trailer i found on joblo
don't know if it's real, but it's a pretty crappy trailer, geared towards 4 year olds and should be played on the disney channel
http://www.joblo.com/video/player.php?video=Phantom_Menace_Awful_trailer

queeq
That;s a weird trailer, but certainly not the official grown up version. That's out there as well.

But this quite infantile.

S_D_J
here is a trailer i found on joblo
don't know if it's real, but it's a pretty crappy trailer, geared towards 4 year olds and should be played on the disney channel
http://www.joblo.com/video/player.php?video=Phantom_Menace_Awful_trailer

Dear God that was awful.

So a lot of you were ripping on the movie, but I bet most will go and see it.

I might not be able to (and I really want to) cuz I'm going away for work. Hopefully I won't be leaving until Friday at the ealiest, so I can go see it on Thursday. no expression

darthmaul1
Dear God that was awful.

So a lot of you were ripping on the movie, but I bet most will go and see it.

I might not be able to (and I really want to) cuz I'm going away for work. Hopefully I won't be leaving until Friday at the ealiest, so I can go see it on Thursday. no expression

I agree some of the people who rip on it will still go see it but for me I'm not going to see it because it's in 3d I'm going to see it on the big screen again. And take my nieces who never saw it on the big screen.
I enjoyed ep1 and it's my 2nd favorite just because of darth maul and the kick ass saber battle.

queeq
I'm taking my kids too, they've never seen SW on the big screen.

roughrider
I just saw the running time listed for this as 2 hours 17 minutes. How much longer is that than the original running time? The DVD was a couple of minutes longer, due to Lucas re-inserting a scene showing more of Coruscant seen through young Anakin's eyes, and a little more of the pod race.
Maybe other deleted scenes, like Anakin's fight with a young Greedo, got back in? That was a sequence Lucas & McCallum cut with some reluctance (though they shouldn't have; Star Wars could be 3 hours and people would love it, but Lucas doesn't believe a running time needs to be that long.)

S_D_J
Originally posted by roughrider
I just saw the running time listed for this as 2 hours 17 minutes. How much longer is that than the original running time? The DVD was a couple of minutes longer, due to Lucas re-inserting a scene showing more of Coruscant seen through young Anakin's eyes, and a little more of the pod race.
Maybe other deleted scenes, like Anakin's fight with a young Greedo, got back in? That was a sequence Lucas & McCallum cut with some reluctance (though they shouldn't have; Star Wars could be 3 hours and people would love it, but Lucas doesn't believe a running time needs to be that long.)

as far as I know it has the same running time. I don't know if the taxi scene is in it (it must be) but haven't heard anything about (and I honestly don't think there are any) new scenes added.

It opens today at 9.30pm down here. I won't be able to go cuz I got some classes I rather not miss, but I will see it Thursday morning. So far, haven't heard a confirmation date for my trip, so I'm able to see it at least once... I still like the movie (better than AOTC me thinks)

I read online the 3D is subtle but well done, hope that's true erm

I should be a (small) joy to watch the opening scroll in 3D big grin

C-3POTheClever

But if your not going to see it in 3D, what's the point in going to see it?

queeq
Good point.

S_D_J
I'm gonna see it in 3D tomorrow, but I really don't care about it.

What's the point? seeing it in the big screen once more, preferably in digital 2D. No matter how comfortable or readily available dvds/brs are, nothing compares to watching a movie with a whole bunch of fans in a theater

roughrider
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
But if your not going to see it in 3D, what's the point in going to see it?

I think that is the whole point. Though digitally projected in 2D would be nothing to sneeze at.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by roughrider
I think that is the whole point. Though digitally projected in 2D would be nothing to sneeze at.

I would prefer to see any other movie in 2D, i didn't see any last year in 3D i went to the 2D versions. picture is better.

But i've seen this so many times in 2D i will be able to pick out what actually pops out at the screen at me.

queeq
You think? wink

S_D_J

queeq
Good review. Thanks.

S_D_J
nobody's been to see it yet?

I feel it would not make as much money as it's supposed to

darthmaul1
nobody's been to see it yet?

I feel it would not make as much money as it's supposed to

I saw it yesterday with my 2 nieces who never saw it on the big screen. We all loved it, but I will say the 3d didn't really pop out at me I was really expecting to be ducking during the pod race, but I wasn't. There were only about 3 instances where I really noticed something coming out of the screen. But I will say it did give the cgi characters more depth especially watto. And I will also say this even though the movie is 13 years old those cgi characters still look better than avatar! IMO

ares834
That's because lots of the CGI characters have been enhanced. If you watch the original film Jar Jar looks terrible.

S_D_J
Originally posted by ares834
That's because lots of the CGI characters have been enhanced. If you watch the original film Jar Jar looks terrible.

I don't know if they were actually enhanced, I did thought so too, but then being in 3D makes everything darker, helping the CGI tremendously, but dimming the overall picture.
I took my glasses off when QGJ meets Jar Jar, and he still looked terrible (with the added brightness). In close up characters do look good, but wider shots make them stand out sorely just like it does on the Bluray version.

REXXXX
Definitely was a fan of the CGI Yoda replacement, to be honest. The original puppet was creepy, and now it fits a little better with the other prequels.

Though they better not do it to the OT...

darthmaul1
Originally posted by REXXXX
Definitely was a fan of the CGI Yoda replacement, to be honest. The original puppet was creepy, and now it fits a little better with the other prequels.

Though they better not do it to the OT...

Agreed that would be one change I would not get behind!

roughrider
The 3D was pretty subtle, like Toy Story 3. Only a couple of scenes stood out for it's use. You take the glasses off and you see blur in regular scenes, so it is doing something. But I don't think you use it so it's not noticed. It was more like an greatly enhanced digital projection I watched. And finally got to see the CG Yoda replacement. Don't know what went wrong with the puppet the first time; did they cut corners on the effort to give Yoda real expressions?

S_D_J
it was a bit creepy, totally different from the original puppet...

http://www.eyeonstarwars.com/episode1/picture/e163.jpg http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pMc9eIFzk1k/TlecZhpjLbI/AAAAAAAAA5A/iDlPWaX9J-U/s1600/master-yoda.jpg

http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Puppet-Yoda-CGI-Yoda.gif

though the digital version is still different

darthmaul1
it was a bit creepy, totally different from the original puppet...

http://www.eyeonstarwars.com/episode1/picture/e163.jpg http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pMc9eIFzk1k/TlecZhpjLbI/AAAAAAAAA5A/iDlPWaX9J-U/s1600/master-yoda.jpg

http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Puppet-Yoda-CGI-Yoda.gif

though the digital version is still different

that's a sign of the times, where more people know how to do CGI but can't create a life like puppet like the ESB yoda.

but make up and masks can still be done.

queeq
ESB Yoda looks very much alive indeed... Yoda there is much more than justsmart a$$ lines going for 'wisdom'.

General G
Has anyone else seen this yet and notice "Yaddle" sitting in on the Jedi Council? Can't say I remember her being there in the original Ep. 1.

queeq
She was.

Kazenji
Is ET still in it?

queeq
Of course.

darthmaul1
but Yaddle isn't digital cause it's just a far away shot and that is it.
I was kind of hoping they would add the boarding ramp quigon and maul fight but they didn't

queeq
You can see it on the blu ray. It didn't add much, except explain why Qui-Gon is panting on the floor and why Maul gets up when the ship flies away.

DARTH POWER
I saw it yesterday with my 2 nieces who never saw it on the big screen. We all loved it, but I will say the 3d didn't really pop out at me I was really expecting to be ducking during the pod race, but I wasn't. There were only about 3 instances where I really noticed something coming out of the screen. But I will say it did give the cgi characters more depth especially watto. And I will also say this even though the movie is 13 years old those cgi characters still look better than avatar! IMO

Iv only just watched this today! And I agree the 3d was pretty pointless. But I still love this movie anyway. And yes you watch it again and you realise just how impressive the cgi was before the like of LOTR and Avatar.

You can see it on the blu ray. It didn't add much, except explain why Qui-Gon is panting on the floor and why Maul gets up when the ship flies away.

I missed that. How's that explained?

queeq
Maul jumps after Qui-Gon on the ramp as the ship flies off, they fight a bit, Maul falls to the ground and Qui-Gon into the ship.

DARTH POWER
^ Lol How did I miss that?!

queeq
It's in the comic, the novel and in the deleted scenes on the blu ray.

DARTH POWER
It's in the comic, the novel and in the deleted scenes on the blu ray.

Oh right! I thought you meant it was an addition to the 3d version I just watched yesterday. So was a bit confused how I could have missed that lol.

Yep Iv got the comic where it shows that. Not got the blu ray though. Would like to see that scene live action.

queeq
Well, the effects aren't finished on that deleted scene.

Kazenji
They do that alot with deleted scenes usually end up in comics, Books or even games.

queeq
No, it was part of the script. The comic and novel came after the script.

chinabing
It was a great time at the movies again to see Episode I!

I loved it, the 3D was subtle most of the time. I think it's a better story in 2D, but it was fantastic to see it on the big screen again.

They did add in a bit to the pod race where Anakin's pod spins in the wind, but they didn't add the deleted pod scene of the trash-picker-uppers cleaning up the crashed pods. Then the speeder bit when the queens ship lands on the floating flight deck.

I'm not, however, a fan of the Yoda replacement. They changed his expression too much! The puppet was much more expressive. When Yoda is confering Knight status, you can see the exasperation much more in the puppet than the digiyoda.

Plus, unforgivably, at the finale the digiyoda is completely wrong! In the original, the puppet Yoda is smiling! He's enjoying the celebration, the great music, the confetti. What is the digiyoda doing? Scowling! What's he's so mad about? Anakin's smirking and Padme's got that killer smile of hers. Even Keira Knightly is smiling! Obi-Wan looks a bit concerned. But Yoda was happy in the original! That change made me shake my head in disgust.

Yoda.
Smiled.
First!

DARTH POWER
^ Lol the CGI Yoda is the main alteration in the 3d version. Its more noticeable than the 3d itself.

steverules_2
Actually he was 3D in the Blu-Ray version of the movie, dunno if he was CGI before that but thats the first time they replaced the puppet with CGI that I know of anyway

DARTH POWER
Right I haven't got the blu-ray..

Jeez so the 3d was pretty pointless then. Oh well I guess we all like paying Lucas more money Lol

queeq
The original TPM Yoda puppet was terrible... just compare it to the one in ESB which is totally stunning still..

DARTH POWER
^ Oh yeah Im glad they made that change, just dnt think its worth paying 3d cinema tickets for basically that one major change and some lame 3d. Especially considering the changes are on blu-ray anyway.

queeq
True, digi Yoda was already on the BD. Which prolly was part of one package anyway: BD and 3D.

coolmovies
MORE MONEY FOR LUCAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOOK

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/star-wars-3d-blu-ray-coming-spring-091600817.html

DARTH POWER
^ He is a money making genius. No one can deny that!

LanceWindu
Originally posted by coolmovies
MORE MONEY FOR LUCAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOOK

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/star-wars-3d-blu-ray-coming-spring-091600817.html

Did you seriously not expect that? ALL movies released in 3D in theaters have 3D Blu-rays. If I had a 3D TV, I would buy 3D Blu-rays.

queeq
Now that is one I don't think I will be buying. I have no 3D tv and I don't think I will get one anytime soon. A lot of extra money for litte additional pleasure.

coolmovies
Also INDIANA JONES IS COMMING TO BLU RAY THIS FALL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV87cO08eb0

DARTH POWER
Now that is one I don't think I will be buying. I have no 3D tv and I don't think I will get one anytime soon. A lot of extra money for litte additional pleasure.

And there's no real motivation to get a 3d tv just for this anyway considering the 3d itself was pretty lame.

queeq
Well, in most movies I've seen the 3D doesn't add very much (Toy Story, Alice in Wonderland, Tron, Puss in Boots, Three Musketeers (yes, yuck), Monsters vs. Aliens). I liked TinTin, but no doubt 2D will work just as fine.

The only good 3D experience, and unrivaled IMHO, was Avatar. But one movie is not enough to buy a 3D tv.

Originally posted by coolmovies
Also INDIANA JONES IS COMMING TO BLU RAY THIS FALL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV87cO08eb0

Now THAT I will buy and donate to the George Lucas Retirement Fund.

LanceWindu

The TV I was buying today (See your thread) was a 3D TV with a 3D Blu-ray bundle and 4 pairs of glasses. Only $698, which is cheaper than other TVs of the same size there.

I would have used it on PS3 games and certain movies. It also has a convert 2D to 3D function that I wanted to play around with.

queeq
Well, yes but that's another $700 and I have a fine HDTV at home. Plus the 3D blu rays are more expensive than the normal BD's.

And... you'd have to wear glasses to see 3D that only lasts the size of the set. And I can't fit a huge one in my house.

LanceWindu
Well, yes but that's another $700 and I have a fine HDTV at home. Plus the 3D blu rays are more expensive than the normal BD's.

And... you'd have to wear glasses to see 3D that only lasts the size of the set. And I can't fit a huge one in my house.

I've found the 3D Blu-ray movies are rarely more expensive. Maybe because not many people buy them, so they are trying to clear the warehouses.

This TV would be an excuse to put our old TV in the bedroom. 42" at the foot of the bed. wink

darthmaul1
It's a fad and i for one will not be buying it untill it actually displays a full color hologram that you can sit in the middle of and watch the action around you! who the hell wants to sit with those damn glasses on all the time.

queeq
I don't even have a 42" and I certainly can't fit one in my bedroom.

But watching with glasses on a relatively small screen doesn't rock my boat. Especially since most 3D experiences weren't all the exciting in the cinema in the first place.

chinabing
The original TPM Yoda puppet was terrible... just compare it to the one in ESB which is totally stunning still..

I disagree, it was not terrible. The TPM puppet was just fine. I like puppets better than cgi, for Yoda at least.

They should have made a better effort to duplicate what was in the original TPM puppet.

If it's not better, they shouldn't have done it.

Anakin getting tested by Yoda in the chamber was much better with the puppet than the cgi. Yoda's line "I sense much fear in you" has far more gravitas with the puppet.

The "Obi-wan knighted" scene was much better with a puppet too, as is the Qui-Gon BBQ scene.

And he should be smiling during the parade. Not scowling.

queeq
I am kinda fond of the puppet... but the ESB puppet was far better than the TPM one.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by chinabing
I disagree, it was not terrible. The TPM puppet was just fine. I like puppets better than cgi, for Yoda at least.

They should have made a better effort to duplicate what was in the original TPM puppet.

If it's not better, they shouldn't have done it.

Anakin getting tested by Yoda in the chamber was much better with the puppet than the cgi. Yoda's line "I sense much fear in you" has far more gravitas with the puppet.

The "Obi-wan knighted" scene was much better with a puppet too, as is the Qui-Gon BBQ scene.

And he should be smiling during the parade. Not scowling.

IMO the puppet was terrible in TPM, but nothing can compare to ESB puppet even the CGI

queeq
Indeed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.