Opinions on "magic" and mythical jazz(Vampires/Lycans etc.etc.).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ban Mido
Seriously before you laugh (trust me I know it's crazy but bare with me) do any of you believe in magic and fantasy like vampires and all that jazz? The only reason why is this girl I was dating for awhile (dumped me the other day -_-;..not too bothered by it though XD) was WAAAY into talking to spirits and "magic" and all this..and I am pretty sure she was in a cult XD...but she was always saying how vampires are real and all these beings from other dimensions laugh at us and how shape shifters and Lycans exist, and people can create illusions (naruto style) and over in Transylvania sometimes people all go to meet up XD...and apparently they "Changed" her and made her half something but if she spoke of it she could die cause they could "read her mind" and all this no expression...saying she could do alchemy and all that..

Yeaaah.......like don't get me wrong..I believe in inner strength kind of like chi and stuff and I mean she did too(Surprise -_-)..always speaking of her navel chakra..but I don't believe in things like she spoke of...I mean we've all seen the mom who lifted something crazy heavy to save their child, heck we've seen martial artists take deadly blows and not be phased, I mean I've even seen people who can change their eye color..but...I don't think there's anything "mystical" about it no expression.....I do know there are people who believe they are vampires and drink blood, but they don't have magical powers..

Idk..just kinda wanted to get someone else's input on the whole thing...she hated me I think cause I kept asking her if it was possible to fire real life hadoukens ;P....she was like "NO. OKAY I DON'T KNOW ANYONE WHO CAN DO THAT.." "lame." or I'd ask "Will such and such die if shot in the head no expression" "YES OKAY, THAT KILLS THINGS" and the always popular "So you..CAN'T...turn me into a super saiyan?...well..****" XD...kinda thought of me as a smartass I suppose but w/e lol I had fun with it haha

Now personally...I think she was a little nutty...BUT HEY...I've always been an open minded kind of guy..so what do you all think? :P

Digi
Open-minded shouldn't mean believing anything that sounds cool. It should mean being willing to believe anything that is properly and logically defended. Being "open" to things that don't have a rational foundation is just a kind word for "naive." Did she offer any explanations that would sway you, or make you able to defend the same beliefs to someone else who isn't sure?

I think your instincts about her are right. She must've been hot. I wouldn't have put up with that kind of crap otherwise.

If you're interested in such beliefs and the people who believe them, I'd encourage you to look into the psychology of belief, which does a lot more to explain people like your ex than any fantasy novel or mythological book will.

Ban Mido
Oh trust me I don't believe in any of it, never have. I just tried to word things kindly cause well...I didn't want to offend anyone who may have those beliefs. Yeah that's pretty much all she had going for her, she was hot but the day in and day out "spell" thing did get quite annoying...especially the "truth spells" those right there pretty much sealed the deal she was a nutcase and full of it..cause she would say I was lying about things I wasn't even lying about so it certainly was humorous. I'm glad she's gone I just was curious if anyone else believed in that or had any way to defend it.

Personally it sounds completely crazy xD....I mean...there is no logic backing it...and if there are so many of these people and "spells" are so powerful..why is it that law enforcement carry guns instead of wands lmao...

Mindship
"Every time you've heard someone say they saw a ghost, or an angel. Every story you've ever heard about vampires, werewolves, or aliens, is the system assimilating some program that's doing something they're not supposed to be doing."
-- The Oracle to Neo, in "The Matrix: Reloaded"

thumb up

Digi
It's hard not seeming very skeptical and insulting them by accident. I've had to deal with it too. Hell, this girl I'm halfways seeing now thinks that dreams can predict the future, and that a recurring dream involving her dead aunt is a harbinger of some impending doom in her life. Women believe some ridiculous spiritual stuff.

/truth

ADarksideJedi
I had dreams that have happen afer I dreamed it. Not right away but a week after and even through I find Mythical and magic stuff interesting I don't believe them to be real just a trick of the mind.

dadudemon
I would like to think that every mythical creature legend has some truth.

Werewolf?

Completely true. Just not the howl at the moon type of shit. Just some people with some hair growth problems.

Vampires? There are indeed real human vampires. But that is only because they drink human blood. Almost all do it with willing hosts. There are two types of real vampires but I'll let you google search that and find out those types.

But the legend of vampires comes from a myriad of different beliefs all rolled in different measures into our various brands of vampires. From rabies to misunderstandings of natural processes. (The rabies explanation is one of the best, actually.)

Chakra networks do not exist. Plain and simple. That's out.

So that's everything except lycans and illusions. Lycans do not exist...but are probably extensions of werewolves...which I already explained. Illusions are simply the brain trying to process what cannot be naturally or logically explained by the brain...so we come up with something else.

Originally posted by Digi
I think your instincts about her are right. She must've been hot. I wouldn't have put up with that kind of crap otherwise.

laughing laughing laughing

Originally posted by Mindship
"Every time you've heard someone say they saw a ghost, or an angel. Every story you've ever heard about vampires, werewolves, or aliens, is the system assimilating some program that's doing something they're not supposed to be doing."
-- The Oracle to Neo, in "The Matrix: Reloaded"

thumb up

That's.........

very very sexy of you.

If only you had bewbz instead of balls. sad

Digi
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I had dreams that have happen afer I dreamed it. Not right away but a week after and even through I find Mythical and magic stuff interesting I don't believe them to be real just a trick of the mind.

You're on the right track. There's a few reasons why this belief in dream precognition exists.

For one, despite the fanciful symbol analysis that people like to think of in terms of dreams, we're more likely to dream about things relevant to our lives and current situations. As such, we often dream about people, places, or potential events that actually have a high likelihood of occurring.

Second, dreams are notoriously vague, we remember very little in detail, and our minds invent details after the fact to make them more coherent. Often a dream that has only 1-2 similar aspects to a real-life occurrence will be re-remembered as being much more similar in order to create a link. We do this anyway with our memories (a shocking percentages of our memories aren't actually accurate), and the numbers lip even further when it comes to dreams.

Third, we dream a lot, and experience a lot of different things in life. And humans, by evolutionary design, are pattern-seeking individuals. If a "big" event occurs (an assassination, maybe), odds are a lot of people dreamed about a high-profile assassination the night before. And a smaller but still significant percentage would have dreamed some correct details of the murder. This isn't precognition, just the law of large numbers. The same can apply to your life. At some point, you will have a dream that is in many ways similar to something you experience in your life. Again, not precognition, just statistical inevitability.

All of this has been confirmed ad nauseum via testing. There's still some things we don't know about dreams, but many, many more that we do. But people like to believe in such things because it's cool, so they don't seek out this kind of knowledge or they ignore it when it is presented to them.

Mindship
Originally posted by dadudemon
If only you had bewbz instead of balls. sad In a former life, I suspect. cool

Ban Mido
Haha one of the other brilliant things she told me is, the reason no one ever caught "Jack The Ripper" was cause he could teleport XD.....yeah....I should have left then..I know..

Symmetric Chaos
Vampires? There are indeed real human vampires. But that is only because they drink human blood. Almost all do it with willing hosts. There are two types of real vampires but I'll let you google search that and find out those types.

Aren't these culture pretty modern?

Chakra networks do not exist. Plain and simple. That's out.

You were looking for the truth they were based on, though. That seems to be the circulatory system.

ADarksideJedi
You're on the right track. There's a few reasons why this belief in dream precognition exists.

For one, despite the fanciful symbol analysis that people like to think of in terms of dreams, we're more likely to dream about things relevant to our lives and current situations. As such, we often dream about people, places, or potential events that actually have a high likelihood of occurring.

Second, dreams are notoriously vague, we remember very little in detail, and our minds invent details after the fact to make them more coherent. Often a dream that has only 1-2 similar aspects to a real-life occurrence will be re-remembered as being much more similar in order to create a link. We do this anyway with our memories (a shocking percentages of our memories aren't actually accurate), and the numbers lip even further when it comes to dreams.

Third, we dream a lot, and experience a lot of different things in life. And humans, by evolutionary design, are pattern-seeking individuals. If a "big" event occurs (an assassination, maybe), odds are a lot of people dreamed about a high-profile assassination the night before. And a smaller but still significant percentage would have dreamed some correct details of the murder. This isn't precognition, just the law of large numbers. The same can apply to your life. At some point, you will have a dream that is in many ways similar to something you experience in your life. Again, not precognition, just statistical inevitability.

All of this has been confirmed ad nauseum via testing. There's still some things we don't know about dreams, but many, many more that we do. But people like to believe in such things because it's cool, so they don't seek out this kind of knowledge or they ignore it when it is presented to them.
so true I am thinking of keeping a dream Diary that would help me remember all the dreams I have had or is having.

Mindship
so true I am thinking of keeping a dream Diary that would help me remember all the dreams I have had or is having. Good idea, especially if you might want to start lucid dreaming, ie, you know you're dreaming while you're dreaming.

AsbestosFlaygon
I acknowledge that there are some things that cannot be explained or fully defined by conventional science, like chaos, stigmata, emotions, etc.

But with regards to the mythical creatures, they are nothing more than a creation of mankind's imagination.

As far as magic is concerned, card tricks and illusions are real.

inimalist
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
emotions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbic_system

Digi
so true I am thinking of keeping a dream Diary that would help me remember all the dreams I have had or is having.

That's a neat way to remember more about dreams, though it's notoriously hard for many people to keep.

Good idea, especially if you might want to start lucid dreaming, ie, you know you're dreaming while you're dreaming.

Lucid dreams kick so much ass. I desperately wish I could induce them more often.

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
As far as magic is concerned, card tricks and illusions are real.

Wouldn't illusions, by definition, not be real?

Thoren
Too many XD's.

Mindship
Lucid dreams kick so much ass. I desperately wish I could induce them more often. There are some interesting induction methods out there. One of the best is, write a letter (the common example is "C" for Conscious) on your hand so that you see it several times a day. Everytime you do, remember to be presence-conscious (eg, ask yourself, where are you, are you awake or dreaming). The idea is to develop a here-now awareness which, by habit, carries over into the dreaming state.

Getting any induction method to work, though, is like learning any other skill: it takes repetition and committment. But yeah: LDing makes LSD look amateur.

GRIMNIR
vampires might be aliens and werewolves their pets

Symmetric Chaos
Every time I see this thread I think it's about how Jazz musicians sell their souls to the devil.

ADarksideJedi
I never have a notebook near by that is the only promblem however.

siriuswriter
There are some interesting induction methods out there. One of the best is, write a letter (the common example is "C" for Conscious) on your hand so that you see it several times a day. Everytime you do, remember to be presence-conscious (eg, ask yourself, where are you, are you awake or dreaming). The idea is to develop a here-now awareness which, by habit, carries over into the dreaming state.

Getting any induction method to work, though, is like learning any other skill: it takes repetition and committment. But yeah: LDing makes LSD look amateur.

Almost all of my dreams are lucid dreams. There's only one time I can remember - I was really sick and exhausted and I fell asleep... it was like being under an anesthetic - I woke up about an hour later but it seemed like only a moment after I had gone to sleep.

But my dreams are always a mix of what I see/think right before going to bed, and sometimes really desperate "I want to wake up!" thoughts. Because if I'm aware I'm dreaming, than my dream body is lying down, and I can feel the pillow under my head, so when I need to walk about there's always my head, tilted to the side, resting on a pillow.

Needless to say, talking about my dreams with my friends provides them with hours of entertainment. But it just makes nightmares so much worse.

On-topic... I don't believe in "monsters." However, I know that there are psychological instances where people believe that they are werewolves or vampires - and if you can believe in something so strange so strongly, well, that's their own reality, isn't it?

Mindship
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Almost all of my dreams are lucid dreams. There's only one time I can remember - I was really sick and exhausted and I fell asleep... it was like being under an anesthetic - I woke up about an hour later but it seemed like only a moment after I had gone to sleep.

But my dreams are always a mix of what I see/think right before going to bed, and sometimes really desperate "I want to wake up!" thoughts. Because if I'm aware I'm dreaming, than my dream body is lying down, and I can feel the pillow under my head, so when I need to walk about there's always my head, tilted to the side, resting on a pillow.

Needless to say, talking about my dreams with my friends provides them with hours of entertainment. But it just makes nightmares so much worse. There are various levels of lucidity. Mostly it sounds like you're aware enough to know what's happening, but not lucid enough to exercise your will. My advice (if you don't mind): next time something is scaring you and you know you're dreaming, blow at it.

I think you'll be quite surprised at what happens. That, or you can file me under Dream Quack.

siriuswriter
Blow at it? I usually yell "F*** You!" Although pleasing in asthetics, it has a slim to none chance of actually making anything go away.

But before you start to look like a duck, I'll keep this advice in mind.

Mindship
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Blow at it? It's like in martial arts: with breath comes focus and power.

A firm, steady breath should do it.

Mindship
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/ohio-house-haunted-by-sex-obsessed-ghosts_n_1070127.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk1%7C109441

http://www.gamesprays.com/images/icons/koolaid_oohya_icon949_sm.jpg

Darth Truculent
In the Bible it states that there were 'magicians' - ancient priests who had some sort of ability to tap into the mystic world. It is strictly prohibited by the Bible. Not talking about Chris Angel here.

There are some things that cannot be explained.

StarCraft2
vampire? = we have vampire bats that drink blood

lycans = we got wolves and half dog half wolves

mythical jazz = i dont listen to jazz

etc. etc.).

End of discussion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.