Why do we NEED to reproduce?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

alltoomany
Rulers could not rule if ther was no one to rule over. Animal nature is evil. So why reproduce?

YankeeWhaler
Don't know about evil, but as much as selfish and self centered. Most women in Western Culture stop at one and two at the most.

Would think the fear of living in poverty is what stops FOLKS having more children. In the past, children were seen as blessings, the more you had the more blessed you are. Of course that does cause conflicts in socio-economics and materialism in the Western Culture, and absentee MOMS with latch key kids, and even worse with divorce, absentee dads when parents can't get along.

Korto Vos
To continue the existence of our species?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by alltoomany
Rulers could not rule if ther was no one to rule over. Animal nature is evil. So why reproduce?

Non-sequitur does not follow.

alltoomany
Originally posted by Korto Vos
To continue the existence of our species?

Why?

Digi

The hell.

1. Evil is a subjective term. You're in no position to say what nature is with any objective certitude.

2. We evolved and continue to survive, so of course we desire to reproduce. Imagine a species that did not have a drive to reproduce. It would have died off literally millions of years ago. So naturally, those species that continue to survive have very productive means of reproduction. We want to reproduce because it's literally programmed into us. It's why puberty happens, hormones exist, and why men like staring at boobs (though I've heard that one might be cultural, not inherently genetic, haven't confirmed though). And natural selection will continue to favor those species that reproduce at a high rate, and get rid of those that don't (like lemmings, whose tendencies were somewhat opposite).

So there's no cultural drive to "keep the species going" but there's a personal drive within each one of us. Have you ever been aroused? Have you ever heard of a female's "biological clock?" That's our bodies wanting to reproduce. Evolution has been exceedingly efficient at programming a voracious sex drive into us. So we don't need to, necessarily, in the strictest sense of the word. But we want to, sometimes very strongly.

Not trying to be rude, but did you think this question through before asking it, or did this explanation really not occur to you?

3. The ruler comment makes no sense at all. Work out the analogy you want to make, and try again.

AsbestosFlaygon
Ask that to your parents.

alltoomany
Originally posted by Digi
The hell.

1. Evil is a subjective term. You're in no position to say what nature is with any objective certitude.

2. We evolved and continue to survive, so of course we desire to reproduce. Imagine a species that did not have a drive to reproduce. It would have died off literally millions of years ago. So naturally, those species that continue to survive have very productive means of reproduction. We want to reproduce because it's literally programmed into us. It's why puberty happens, hormones exist, and why men like staring at boobs (though I've heard that one might be cultural, not inherently genetic, haven't confirmed though). And natural selection will continue to favor those species that reproduce at a high rate, and get rid of those that don't (like lemmings, whose tendencies were somewhat opposite).

So there's no cultural drive to "keep the species going" but there's a personal drive within each one of us. Have you ever been aroused? Have you ever heard of a female's "biological clock?" That's our bodies wanting to reproduce. Evolution has been exceedingly efficient at programming a voracious sex drive into us. So we don't need to, necessarily, in the strictest sense of the word. But we want to, sometimes very strongly.

Not trying to be rude, but did you think this question through before asking it, or did this explanation really not occur to you?

3. The ruler comment makes no sense at all. Work out the analogy you want to make, and try again.

Yes all this did. We all can have sex without reprodcing. So why do we NEED to reproduce? is the question I ask.

alltoomany
Yes all this did. We all can have sex without reprodcing. So why do we NEED to reproduce? is the question I ask. it's a backward question I know that.

Digi
Yes all this did. We all can have sex without reprodcing. So why do we NEED to reproduce? is the question I ask.

Well, now you get into culture.

Religion and popular culture would teach us that killing is bad, so many are against abortion. Some religions go so far as to ban birth control. This is easy to see why as well: just like species, an institution that espouses reproduction will be more likely to survive. Such institutions, usually religions, are powerful memes.

Also, the biological end to sex is reproduction, so that's what the "drive" is rooted in. The female body naturally prepares for being pregnant, etc. We've only recently disseminated and popularized birth control...even a couple generations ago, population control was unheard of and life expectancy was such that you wanted large families to ensure your well-being into old age. For many, the drive isn't just sex but to have children.

For some it's legacy, for others it's a biological urgency to have children, for others it's a (perhaps unknowing) way of looking out for themselves in old age. Hell, females release chemicals into their system that help them "bond" with a baby after birth. Love is also literally programmed into us, just like reproduction. For a few, it really is just about sex. Many of those people will never reproduce.

However, I suspect you're being very absolute about this. So the answer is: we don't need to. But frankly, if you can't figure out why we end up doing it anyway, there's something wrong.

StarCraft2
Because we feel horny. and if the girl wants to have horny sex with you. YOU ARE COMPELLED TO DO SO.

alltoomany
Originally posted by Digi
Well, now you get into culture.

Religion and popular culture would teach us that killing is bad, so many are against abortion. Some religions go so far as to ban birth control. This is easy to see why as well: just like species, an institution that espouses reproduction will be more likely to survive. Such institutions, usually religions, are powerful memes.

Also, the biological end to sex is reproduction, so that's what the "drive" is rooted in. The female body naturally prepares for being pregnant, etc. We've only recently disseminated and popularized birth control...even a couple generations ago, population control was unheard of and life expectancy was such that you wanted large families to ensure your well-being into old age. For many, the drive isn't just sex but to have children.

For some it's legacy, for others it's a biological urgency to have children, for others it's a (perhaps unknowing) way of looking out for themselves in old age. Hell, females release chemicals into their system that help them "bond" with a baby after birth. Love is also literally programmed into us, just like reproduction. For a few, it really is just about sex. Many of those people will never reproduce.

However, I suspect you're being very absolute about this. So the answer is: we don't need to. But frankly, if you can't figure out why we end up doing it anyway, there's something wrong.

perharps Ego is part of it

alltoomany
homosexauls do not have the instinct to reproduce

Mindship
Why? Biologically, this is what we do; this is what Life does: it deliberately makes more of itself. Sex isn't here solely for fun (ie, orgasm with no responsibility whatsoever). Just a lot of people wish it was.

alltoomany
Originally posted by Mindship
Biologically, this is what we do; this is what Life does: it deliberately makes more of itself. Sex isn't here solely for fun (ie, orgasm with no responsibility whatsoever). Just a lot of people wish it was.

animals in natural settings are INCAPABLE of resisting, not true for humans

Bardock42

Animal nature is evil?

And the last years of your life will be crappy if there isn't anyone taking care of you.

Generally though I agree. We don't all need to reproduce. We just need to tailor our economy to the workforce.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Non-sequitur does not follow.

lol

Statement is true, yet redundant.

Digi
perharps Ego is part of it

No. No, it's mostly all that stuff I said earlier. I'm shocked that this is your only commentary on it. Ego is more a psychological buzzword that doesn't hold much water in academic circles, just pop culture.

They do, it's just directed differently. They can't help their sexual orientation, but many adopt because they still want kids.

YankeeWhaler
Kids are a lot like love and sex, you don't really need it, you can choose to walk away from it; you want it and desire it. Huge difference.

inimalist
/weep for humanity

Mindship
animals in natural settings are INCAPABLE of resisting, not true for humans Generally speaking, that may be true. Regardless, it still doesn't change the essence of why we reproduce: it's what Life does. Resisting =/= it goes away.

There may well have been organisms in the past with no genetic impetus to reproduce. Needless to say, that's why they are not around today. As living things, they failed in a big way.

TacDavey
Needless to say, that's why they are not around today. As living things, they failed in a big way.

Was the poetic touch intentional here?

Mindship
Originally posted by TacDavey
Was the poetic touch intentional here? Well I'll be a monkey's uncle...

No, but apparently, my subconscious is more on top of things than "I" am.

Robtard

Are you one of those angry feminist?

(I know, angry feminist is redundant)

ADarksideJedi
So we don't all die out?

siriuswriter

Um.... yes they do. Haven't you ever heard of surrogate mothers or donating sperm or adoption? With a good friend of the opposite sex "outside" the relationship, it's pretty easy for a lesbian to have a baby, or for a gay couple to have one.

Eugh. Hate comments like this.

alltoomany
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Um.... yes they do. Haven't you ever heard of surrogate mothers or donating sperm or adoption? With a good friend of the opposite sex "outside" the relationship, it's pretty easy for a lesbian to have a baby, or for a gay couple to have one.

Eugh. Hate comments like this.

So you may also believe on the "Making the case for why homosexuality is natural, heterosexuality is not" theroy?

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by Robtard
Are you one of those angry feminist?

(I know, angry feminist is redundant) Better go back in time and prevent yourself from posting this, before Bardock sees it. 313

Robtard
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Better go back in time and prevent yourself from posting this, before Bardock sees it. 313

Phaggy fat-kids don't worry me. I'm prepared.

King Kandy
So you may also believe on the "Making the case for why homosexuality is natural, heterosexuality is not" theroy?
No, I don't think he was saying that at all. And I would be very curious what possible justification you could have for such a theory.

Omega Vision
Grasping at strawman fallacy.

siriuswriter

Both of them are natural. Where the hell'd you get this theory?

Never mind... I know. The same place that you got the notion that homosexuals don't want reproduction.

The place where the person put the bop in the bop shoo-bop shoo-bop and the wham in the whama-lama-lama-lama-lama-lama ding-y bop.

alltoomany
peter got hung upside down for preaching celibacy...eve in marriage

alltoomany
peter got hung upside down for preaching celibacy...even in marriage

siriuswriter

Not even going to go there.

Mindship
Rulers could not rule if ther was no one to rule over. Animal nature is evil. So why reproduce? What should happen instead, or how would you like it to be? Did something happen you wish hadn't?

King Kandy
BTW, you may be interested in the Cathars; they actually had a similar philosophy to what you are saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism

Lord Lucien
Yes all this did. We all can have sex without reprodcing. So why do we NEED to reproduce? is the question I ask. Because we want to. It's not a matter of need.

YankeeWhaler
It's the greatest expression of love, to put aside your ego and vanity and to care for something that is completely helpless and would die on its own.

If you have to THINK hmmmm, not so sure about our leaders of government in regards to having a child, don't know too many people that think that way. Maybe a lack of money or raising a child on their own, sure.

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Both of them are natural. Where the hell'd you get this theory?

Never mind... I know. The same place that you got the notion that homosexuals don't want reproduction.

The place where the person put the bop in the bop shoo-bop shoo-bop and the wham in the whama-lama-lama-lama-lama-lama ding-y bop. My God, I love you.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
My God, I love you.

We should reproduce. What witty children we would make...

Lord Lucien
They'd be half black, half Meheecan, and half writer.

Perfect for San Fransisco!

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
They'd be half black, half Meheecan, and half writer.

Perfect for San Fransisco!

Half liberal and half Lets save the earth! would be better for CA! smile

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Half liberal and half Lets save the earth! would be better for CA! smile I don't have any accurate way to convey the immense *sigh* I just experienced.

siriuswriter
I don't have any accurate way to convey the immense *sigh* I just experienced.

If only there was a way to know the ratio the people who sigh and the people who make the people who sigh, sigh.

Then I might stop worrying about the inevitable crumpled Earth that we humans will leave behind.

GRIMNIR
the human race need to reproduce to survive

but someday, if we make huge advances in medicine, we might be reproducing to expand and fill the universe with our seed

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by GRIMNIR
the human race need to reproduce to survive

but someday, if we make huge advances in medicine, we might be reproducing to expand and fill the universe with our seed Hmmm...

"His gift is a curse, forget the earth,
he's got the urge to pull his dick from the earth,
and f*ck the whole universe."

You and Eminem are thinking along the same wavelength.

alltoomany
http://breathingearth.net/

Lord Lucien
http://breathingearth.net/ "Please remember that this is just a simulation. Although the CO2 emission, birth rate and death rate data used in Breathing Earth comes from reputable sources, data that measures things on such a massive scale can never be 100% accurate."

And I was so enjoying it until I saw that.

alltoomany
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. ... Ronald Reagan

Burning thought
You dont "need" to, as for why? some people just like having children for some reason or other and your making some sort of strange generalisation and judgement of evil. This thread does not make sense.

alltoomany
http://www.vhemt.org/ecology.htm#whyv

Mindship
The question isn't why do we need to reproduce; the question should be, how do we reproduce responsibly?

Lord Lucien
The question isn't why do we need to reproduce; the question should be, how do we reproduce responsibly? I really thought you were going to end that with "how do we reproduce asexually?"

Omega Vision
I really thought you were going to end that with "how do we reproduce asexually?"
Asexual?

A...sexual machine is what I am. estahuh

Mindship
I really thought you were going to end that with "how do we reproduce asexually?" No fun in that.
Come to think of it, maybe that's the answer.

the ninjak
If people produced asexually suddenly then there would be would be so much war.

And overpopulation.

StarCraft2
to prevent extinction... END OF DISCUSSION...

I deem this question EASY!!!

alltoomany
Originally posted by StarCraft2
to prevent extinction... END OF DISCUSSION...

I deem this question EASY!!!

Does it scare you to think that no one would remember you, if reproduction didnt take place anymore?

Lord Lucien
Does it scare you to think that no one would remember you, if reproduction didnt take place anymore? Yes.

psycho gundam
homosexauls do not have the instinct to reproduce yes they do. the only thing they want is to be able to be with the same sex without prosecution, they want to live exactly like everyone else including raising children.

alltoomany
No fun in that.
Come to think of it, maybe that's the answer.

Dr. Frankinstien........ hey did you know that the actor that played the doctor was the first make-up artist too?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.